Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Electric Picnic 2016 // **Discussion Only / NO Ticket Sales / Requests** //

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,832 ✭✭✭Alkers

Simona1986 wrote:
    Hey often sell s few off on Ticketmaster in the days just before the event

There's a guy looking to swap one on the music forum atm

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,224 ✭✭✭✭SantryRed

Is there any decent EP playlists on Apple Music/Spotify that anyone could link?

• Registered Users Posts: 339 ✭✭Slobberdawn

Paddy2012 wrote: »
    Yeah its strange the lack of post rock especially with them, Godspeed, Sigur Ros and EITS all touring. I'm really liking Overhead, the Albatross though who are on body and soul.
    Yeah they're good but they need to be in a tent.

EITS played the main stage in the early evening and they may as well have put on their CD such was the atmosphere.

Seriously lacking some good guitar music although if you're into the above, as I am, check out Searh Party Animal or Bagels as they used to be called. Hard to find their stuff but Bagels have three songs on Spotify. They're playing Body and Soul stage.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,654 ✭✭✭✭MJohnston

SantryRed wrote: »
    Is there any decent EP playlists on Apple Music/Spotify that anyone could link?

If you search for the Electric Picnic profile on Spotify they have a playlist for the main line up and then one for each of the other areas too.

• Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭the_gommes

Simona1986 wrote: »

Hopefully this is the case this year too, but I'd say it's unlikely as there's no campervan ticket option on ticketmaster any more.

I too live in hope though! Left it too late for the second year running. I got a ticket 2 weeks before the festival last year though, so hopefully some appear over the next few weeks.

I'd park the van in the car park rather than pay the €300 that some clowns are asking for them on donedeal etc!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,501 ✭✭✭PabloAndRoy

Simona1986 wrote: »

This is what I am banking on. Am checking daily there. I saw them there last year with about a week to go. I am hoping to find a few hours to write a little bot to search for them automatically every 15 minutes and email me once i get a hit. If I find them, I will post it on toutless (once I have mine in the bag naturally :)

Yeah they're good but they need to be in a tent.

EITS played the main stage in the early evening and they may as well have put on their CD such was the atmosphere.

Seriously lacking some good guitar music although if you're into the above, as I am, check out Searh Party Animal or Bagels as they used to be called. Hard to find their stuff but Bagels have three songs on Spotify. They're playing Body and Soul stage.

How many times have Mogwai played in the Electric Arena? And we all were gobsmacked every time. (all us Mogwai fans anyway) .

EITS are playing in the states on the weekend, 65days look like they will start a tour in October, Sigur Ros would surely have been announced by now and would hardly come here while they are on a break before their American tour.

Mogwai have a bit of a gap between Denmark and Coventry. Lets be realistic though, its not gonna happen is it?

the_gommes wrote: »
    Hopefully this is the case this year too, but I'd say it's unlikely as there's no campervan ticket option on ticketmaster any more.

I too live in hope though! Left it too late for the second year running. I got a ticket 2 weeks before the festival last year though, so hopefully some appear over the next few weeks.

I'd park the van in the car park rather than pay the €300 that some clowns are asking for them on donedeal etc!

See you in the car park so :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,394 ✭✭✭Fatfrog

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,746 ✭✭✭BullBlackNova

Fatfrog wrote: »

That's a great piece.
    One of the problems when it comes to analysing the sector is that too many use the fact that some marquee festivals like Coachella or Glastonbury (or the sold-out Electric Picnic in Ireland, which is promoted by Live Nation subsidary Festival Republic) are doing well year in and year out as a reason to cheerlead for the entire scene. Yet a deeper dive into the figures, like Nelson did, shows that the opposite is actually true. When you’ve long-running fests like Bonnaroo, a marquee event which was recently purchased by Live Nation, experiencing a huge drop-off in attendance – and they’d Pearl Jam and LCD Soundsystem as headliners this year – you know there is increasing trouble t’mill.

This naturally has a knock-on effect throughout the entire sector. For instance, if one of Live Nation’s hundreds of events is doing poorly, they’ll cut back on the spend at more successful events to offset the losses. For instance, this may involve cutting running costs or spending less money on talent or perhaps increasing capacity and ticket revenue. The overall aim of this game is to keep hitting quarterly figures to give Wall Street dealers the kind of thrill the rest of us get when LCD Soundsystem do “All My Friends”.

And there we have it, in a nutshell. It doesn't matter how well EP does if something else is doing badly, EP will suffer.

• Advertisement

I was thinking yesterday when i was hearing the Mercury short list announced. I wonder how EP acts on that list has changed over the years. I thought "this will be another indicator of how the quality of the lineup this years is not as strong as previous years". So I went through both lists since 2010 and in fairness this year is no worse than previous years. EP has averaged 4 out of the 12 shortlisted artists since 2010. Even 2013, which was the year that it was all left really late had 3 out of the list. This year there are 4.

I included all acts that were booked, so i left in FKA Twigs even though she didn't actually play. And also Ghostpoet, who came on stage in B&S mumbled something about his guitarist's finger and that he would be doing a DJ set.

I know its not an indicator of the quality really, but it's kind of interesting. The fact that we are 40 odd main arena acts short of
    previous years is a more interesting (and damning) statistic

Here are the acts.

2010 (4 acts)
    Foals
    Laura Marling
    Mumford & Sons
    Villagers

2011 (4 acts)
    PJ Harvey (winner)
    Everything Everything
    Ghostpoet (only did a DJ set in the end)
    James Blake

2012 (5 acts)
    Ben Howard
    Richard Hawley
    Michael Kiwanuka
    Lianne La Havas
    The Maccabees

2013 (3 acts)
    Arctic Monkeys
    Disclosure
    Savages

2014 (5 acts)
    Young Fathers (winner)
    Bombay Bicycle Club
    FKA Twigs (cancelled)
    Jungle
    Nick Mulvey

2015 (4 acts)
    Benjamin Clementine (winner)
    Florence and the Machine
    Róisín Murphy
    SOAK

2016 (4 acts)
    Bat For Lashes
    Kano
    Savages
    The 1975

• Closed Accounts Posts: 785 ✭✭✭team_actimel

This day 4 weeks!! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,573 ✭✭✭Thundercats Ho

Any time i've read his pieces, he seems to have a negative spin on things.
    Does anyone here read him regularly, is this his form?

The point on EP being used to offset poorly performing fests is interesting though.
    It's ironic and stupid at the same time, as EP were performing poorly for a period, and stripping the number of acts back as far as they can get away with, will surely only get them back to that point eventually?

Jim (and us all) are getting ahead of ourselves however, as we don't have the final lineup, but the number of main arena acts has dropped by 5 each year since FR took over, which doesn't bode well, and we've 40 shy of last year with just 4 weeks to go.

let's hope the last few announcements prove us all wrong, and maybe there'll be a main arena announcement this lunchtime?

• Registered Users Posts: 215 ✭✭GhostMutt30

for anybody still hoping to book pink moon today is the last day to finish paying by installments or else the booking is forfeit so its possible a few tents might go back on sale

• Registered Users Posts: 1,878 ✭✭✭Easy Rod

Any time i've read his pieces, he seems to have a negative spin on things.
    Does anyone here read him regularly, is this his form?

The point on EP being used to offset poorly performing fests is interesting though.
    It's ironic and stupid at the same time, as EP were performing poorly for a period, and stripping the number of acts back as far as they can get away with, will surely only get them back to that point eventually?

Jim (and us all) are getting ahead of ourselves however, as we don't have the final lineup, but the number of main arena acts has dropped by 5 each year since FR took over, which doesn't bode well, and we've 40 shy of last year with just 4 weeks to go.

let's hope the last few announcements prove us all wrong, and maybe there'll be a main arena announcement this lunchtime?

I think he generally is on the ball but does tend to be quite negative. I was at a talk in early June and he alluded to longitude selling very poorly but I think 2/3 days did sell out eventually (good weather helped) so I take a lot of his stuff with a pinch of salt.

Easy Rod wrote: »
    I think he generally is on the ball but does tend to be quite negative. I was at a talk in early June and he alluded to longitude selling very poorly but I think 2/3 days did sell out eventually (good weather helped) so I take a lot of his stuff with a pinch of salt.

It was just the Saturday of Longitude that actually sold out, as well as the full weekend passes. Friday and Sunday tickets were available at the gate.

From what I heard, Longitude saw a late surge of sales when the weather picked up in the days before.

You're spot on about Jim Carroll though. He tends to be in the right ballpark with his pieces but certainly errs on the side of negative - but that is the story in this case, so anything else wouldn't be accurate to be fair to him.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,014 ✭✭✭Wooderson

It was just the Saturday of Longitude that actually sold out, as well as the full weekend passes. Friday and Sunday tickets were available at the gate.

From what I heard, Longitude saw a late surge of sales when the weather picked up in the days before.

You're spot on about Jim Carroll though. He tends to be in the right ballpark with his pieces but certainly errs on the side of negative - but that is the story in this case, so anything else wouldn't be accurate to be fair to him.

Jimmy C is a top writer but **loves** a bit of gigonomic-drama.

• Registered Users Posts: 569 ✭✭✭Blackie_IRL

So will there be an announcement today?

So will there be an announcement today?

Maybe an announcement about an announcement .. ?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,519 ✭✭✭Mike Guide 69

Wooderson wrote: »
    Jimmy C is a top writer but **loves** a bit of gigonomic-drama.

I use to follow Jim Carrolls Blog, while some of his articles were very good, especially the ones on gigs and music streaming platforms, I found a bit of his "holier than thou" attitude a bit grating at times.

I was reading somewhere, and I dont know if it is verified, but was his name mentioned as one of a "committee" that put forward names/acts for this years festival? Cause, if it is true, then irregardless of budgets , no wonder Radiohead were'nt mentioned as he cannot stand them...........:P

• Advertisement

No main arena announcement today I would guess - here's Jerry Fish Electric Sideshow Instead.

Jerry Fish
    The Strypes * The Academic * Ex Magician * The Frank And Walters
    Engine Alley * The Blizzards * BARQ * Relish * Bitch Falcon
    Interskalactic * Craig Gallagher * House Of Yoga * Wob * Absolutely Yo * The Vincents
    Ceili Allstars * Orchid Collective * White Cholera * The Outer Limits * Weenz
    Ivy Nations * Foxjaw * Le Boom * Mariachi San Patricio * Johnny Moy
    Billy Scurry * Kelly Ann Byrne * The Kilo 1977 * Mulljoy * Lady Veda * Foxy P Cox
    The Pony Girls * Realta Circus + Many More Carnival Sideshow Sweethearts
    Plus some very special surprise guests!

Tent is actually a great spot late in the evenings and some great acts on there. The Vincents are well worth a look for anyone who hasn't seen them before.

I was thinking yesterday when i was hearing the Mercury short list announced. I wonder how EP acts on that list has changed over the years. I thought "this will be another indicator of how the quality of the lineup this years is not as strong as previous years". So I went through both lists since 2010 and in fairness this year is no worse than previous years. EP has averaged 4 out of the 12 shortlisted artists since 2010. Even 2013, which was the year that it was all left really late had 3 out of the list. This year there are 4.

I included all acts that were booked, so i left in FKA Twigs even though she didn't actually play. And also Ghostpoet, who came on stage in B&S mumbled something about his guitarist's finger and that he would be doing a DJ set.

I know its not an indicator of the quality really, but it's kind of interesting. The fact that we are 40 odd main arena acts short of
    previous years is a more interesting (and damning) statistic

Here are the acts.

2010 (4 acts)
    Foals
    Laura Marling
    Mumford & Sons
    Villagers

2011 (4 acts)
    PJ Harvey (winner)
    Everything Everything
    Ghostpoet (only did a DJ set in the end)
    James Blake

2012 (5 acts)
    Ben Howard
    Richard Hawley
    Michael Kiwanuka
    Lianne La Havas
    The Maccabees

2013 (3 acts)
    Arctic Monkeys
    Disclosure
    Savages

2014 (5 acts)
    Young Fathers (winner)
    Bombay Bicycle Club
    FKA Twigs (cancelled)
    Jungle
    Nick Mulvey

2015 (4 acts)
    Benjamin Clementine (winner)
    Florence and the Machine
    R is n Murphy
    SOAK

2016 (4 acts)
    Bat For Lashes
    Kano
    Savages
    The 1975

I'm sorry I couldn't read that properly as I clearly must be on crack! ARE THE 1975'S UP FOR A MERCURY.....???

Does that mean Jim Carroll likes them ;) ??

• Registered Users Posts: 3,721 ✭✭✭Stillill42

Engine Alley? Jaysus, that's a blast from the past. I didn't know they were back together. They had their moments back in the mists of time.

Blizzards playing Jerry Fish, I can see a real fan culture clash there :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,726 ✭✭✭Arne_Saknussem

Blizzards playing Jerry Fish, I can see a real fan culture clash there :)

Yep, it'll be invaded by the studio audience of The Voice of Ireland

Stillill42 wrote: »
    Engine Alley? Jaysus, that's a blast from the past. I didn't know they were back together. They had their moments back in the mists of time.

Yeah, serious blast from the past. I was too young to catch them live first time round, might pop in to see them if there's no clashes, this would go down well.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,014 ✭✭✭Wooderson

I use to follow Jim Carrolls Blog, while some of his articles were very good, especially the ones on gigs and music streaming platforms, I found a bit of his "holier than thou" attitude a bit grating at times.

I was reading somewhere, and I dont know if it is verified, but was his name mentioned as one of a "committee" that put forward names/acts for this years festival? Cause, if it is true, then irregardless of budgets , no wonder Radiohead were'nt mentioned as he cannot stand them...........:P

Jim C is the man. Strong opinions. More power to the kid. Love the sense of impish glee you get from his stuff when best laid plans go down the swanny.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,519 ✭✭✭Mike Guide 69

Jim C is the man. Strong opinions. More power to the kid. Love the sense of impish glee you get from his stuff when best laid plans go down the swanny.

Dont say to him " The Waterboys" are overrated , as he'll lose the plot....:D

Strikes me at times as someone who takes his own taste in music, and how others see it, a little too seriously.

He did an unnecessarily over the top negative review of Ocean Colour Scene's gig at the picnic a few years back, was akin to clubbing baby whales.

It was like relax Jim everyone knows they're crap, we're not going to accuse you of liking them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,587 ✭✭✭✭bodhrandude

Strikes me at times as someone who takes his own taste in music, and how others see it, a little too seriously.

He did an unnecessarily over the top negative review of Ocean Colour Scene's gig at the picnic a few years back, was akin to clubbing baby whales.

It was like relax Jim everyone knows they're crap, we're not going to accuse you of liking them.

Agree with this. I remember his review of the Aphex Twin gig at Forbidden Fruit too from 2011, he was spectacularly scathing about that performance.

If you want to get into it, you got to get out of it. (Hawkwind 1982)

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement