Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Electric Picnic 2016 // **Discussion Only / NO Ticket Sales / Requests** //

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,501 ✭✭✭PabloAndRoy

Agree with this. I remember his review of the Aphex Twin gig at Forbidden Fruit too from 2011, he was spectacularly scathing about that performance.

Yeah but to be fair, that was a very boring gig. I don't remember JC's review, but I was certainly interminably bored.

Disclaimer: I like Richard D. James

• Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭turbowolfed

hi all.

I've attended the previous two EP's but totally dropped the ball on this one and didn't get a ticket before it sold out. At the time i decided that I wouldn't be too bothered but now it's getting close I'm getting fairly jealous of those with tickets and decided to look into buying them off someone.

As someone who's never bought resale tickets before i'm fairly apprehensive about getting f-ed over with some dodgy tickets. Does anyone have any experience with resale sites like DoneDeal or the like?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,009 ✭✭✭kg703

No sign of the Eskies yet :(

hi all.

I've attended the previous two EP's but totally dropped the ball on this one and didn't get a ticket before it sold out. At the time i decided that I wouldn't be too bothered but now it's getting close I'm getting fairly jealous of those with tickets and decided to look into buying them off someone.

As someone who's never bought resale tickets before i'm fairly apprehensive about getting f-ed over with some dodgy tickets. Does anyone have any experience with resale sites like DoneDeal or the like?

It's a jungle. It really is very difficult to be sure.

There is a good post on toutless with some solid advice:
    http://www.toutless.com/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=4064

in short .. meet the person physically and get some ID, some proof of address. Its still not guaranteed 100%, but its a lot less likely that you will be the victim.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,587 ✭✭✭✭bodhrandude

Yeah but to be fair, that was a very boring gig. I don't remember JC's review, but I was certainly interminably bored.

Disclaimer: I like Richard D. James

Well yer view is still subjective, I thought is was a very good gig myself where he covered a lot of his own material too and that track where he mixed Autechre with Lakker was a stand out for me. I suppose it depends what you are looking for from his music, I think the bright daylight went against him as he is very much a visual show and he should have been in a marquee than the open stage, I also thought he paced the show rather well, going from ambient techno to the gabber/DnB finale, but thats just me I suppose.

If you want to get into it, you got to get out of it. (Hawkwind 1982)

• Advertisement

Well yer view is still subjective, I thought is was a very good gig myself where he covered a lot of his own material too and that track where he mixed Autechre with Lakker was a stand out for me. I suppose it depends what you are looking for from his music, I think the bright daylight went against him as he is very much a visual show and he should have been in a marquee than the open stage, I also thought he paced the show rather well, going from ambient techno to the gabber/DnB finale, but thats just me I suppose.

Certainly subjective and definitely would have been better in a tent but just didn't do it for me on the day.

Of course you are Ireland's number one Aphex Twin fan... well after that 12 year old lad from Rush.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,391 ✭✭✭Lotus Flower

Strikes me at times as someone who takes his own taste in music, and how others see it, a little too seriously.

Let's be honest though, a lot of indie fans are guilty of that from time to time....

• Registered Users Posts: 2,726 ✭✭✭Arne_Saknussem

Roots Manuva, Cat Power, Joanna Newsom, Thurston Moore Group, Bastille, Steve Mason, Devendra Banhart, Echo & the Bunnymen, Roisin Murphy

All these acts are either playing End of the Road or Festival No. 6, i'd guess some of these are the biggest 'names' that will be on the last announcement, whenever that comes.

Let's be honest though, a lot of indie fans are guilty of that from time to time....

Without doubt, you'd expect someone who's getting towards 50 to have moved on from it though. :p

• Registered Users Posts: 339 ✭✭Slobberdawn

Roots Manuva, Cat Power, Joanna Newsom, Thurston Moore Group, Bastille, Steve Mason, Devendra Banhart, Echo & the Bunnymen, Roisin Murphy

All these acts are either playing End of the Road or Festival No. 6, i'd guess some of these are the biggest 'names' that will be on the last announcement, whenever that comes.
    If Joanna Newsom gets added I'll..........I'll......I don't know what I'll do but it will be a positive reaction.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,452 ✭✭✭showpony1

Anyone know what DJ EZ is like?
    any recommendations from Casa Bacardi?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,654 ✭✭✭✭MJohnston

showpony1 wrote: »

One of the best going (checkout his Boiler Room), but I kind of find DJ sets on the regular stages/arenas to be odd, just when you're getting going it's over. Huxley, H+LA, Nicky Siano, Krafty Kuts, A-Skillz, and Get Down Edits would be worth a jook at Casa Bacardi, but the atmosphere in that place has gone to **** since they changed to the Casa layout. Too much about day trippers and VIP passers being seen.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,710 ✭✭✭✭everlast75

I don't know what the organisers are playing at to be honest.

If they think that withholding the names of the main acts is adding a little mystery and mystique to the event, endearing themselves to the pundits they are grossly mistaken. The general consensus is a lot of people are p*ssed off that its less than a month to go and we are being told nothing about the deficit of 40 odd acts.

I like to try and learn some songs from artists that I've never heard of, discover new music and then see those bands live but times a tickin'.. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 2,014 ✭✭✭Wooderson

everlast75 wrote: »
    I don't know what the organisers are playing at to be honest.

If they think that withholding the names of the main acts is adding a little mystery and mystique to the event, endearing themselves to the pundits they are grossly mistaken. The general consensus is a lot of people are p*ssed off that its less than a month to go and we are being told nothing about the deficit of 40 odd acts.

I like to try and learn some songs from artists that I've never heard of, discover new music and then see those bands live but times a tickin'.. :(

Is there really a deficit of 40 odd acts vs last years line up? :eek: Bizarre stuff from the organisers.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,573 ✭✭✭Thundercats Ho

Wooderson wrote: »
    Is there really a deficit of 40 odd acts vs last years line up? :eek: Bizarre stuff from the organisers.

If you leave aside the sideline things, and focus on the main arena, then there are. Main stage, electric arena, cosby stage etc.

There were 94 in 2013.
    90 in 2014.
    85 last year.
    49 so far this year. so 45 down on 2013 or 36 down on last year.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,113 ✭✭✭scruff monkey
    Snarky Snark Snark

If Joanna Newsom gets added I'll..........I'll......I don't know what I'll do but it will be a positive reaction.

Wouldn't mind seeing her but would her stuff not be a little "precious and delicate" for a loud festival setting?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,746 ✭✭✭BullBlackNova

If you leave aside the sideline things, and focus on the main arena, then there are. Main stage, electric arena, cosby stage etc.

There were 94 in 2013.
    90 in 2014.
    85 last year.
    49 so far this year. so 45 down on 2013 or 36 down on last year.

Going off that decline, we can probably expect one more 30-act announcement.

My bets are that it includes the likes of Bastille, Roots Manuva, Steve Mason, Devendra Banhart and Echo & the Bunnymen as another poster mentioned above.

Possibly an act or two like the Human League? I see their name at a few festicals but dunno if they are Irish bound at any stage, but I remember how big a crowd Simple Minds got two years ago. Stuff like that goes down a treat on a Sunday afternoon.

Maybe James Vincent McMorrrow? There's always a big (ish) Irish addition, usually several at this stage. And that's one thing the Main Arena is drastically lacking ATM is Irish acts of any size.

Could also see some sort of Bowie tribute thing - a lot of festivals have had that this year and it'd go down a treat I'd say.

And then it'll be padded out with close to 20 smaller Irish acts to open and fill out all the stages throughout the weekend, ranging from the Trinity Orchestra and the Dublin Gospel Choir (or a few more unusual but similar groups - maybe a ukulele orchestra? They are popular lately!) to the Booka Brass Band, Glen Hansard and Jape.

That'd bring it to about 80 acts for the main arena in total.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,193 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

Flex Fab looks like he's worth checking out at body and soul and Barry Redsetta should be pumping over there as well, could be 2 good gigs if your into the wheels of steel.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,218 ✭✭✭✭MadYaker

There'll probably be some David Bowie thing. They had a David Bowie singalong in the Pyramid feild at Glastonbury but it was a bit of a mess as it wasn't officially organised by the festival so they didnt have a proper sound setup and they were sound testing the massive stacks for pyramid stage at the time so that kinda drowned it out. If EP did a proper one it would be cool though.

I'm happy enough with the lineup to be honest. There's enough acts to keep me going but not enough for there to be too many clashes. Though I really do hope for the sake of the future of the festival that there are some more good acts announced, if the organisers get away with a slim lineup this year they might try the same next year hoping that tickets will sell out just because it's Electric Picnic.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,014 ✭✭✭Wooderson

Going off that decline, we can probably expect one more 30-act announcement.

My bets are that it includes the likes of Bastille, Roots Manuva, Steve Mason, Devendra Banhart and Echo & the Bunnymen as another poster mentioned above.

Possibly an act or two like the Human League? I see their name at a few festicals but dunno if they are Irish bound at any stage, but I remember how big a crowd Simple Minds got two years ago. Stuff like that goes down a treat on a Sunday afternoon.

Maybe James Vincent McMorrrow? There's always a big (ish) Irish addition, usually several at this stage. And that's one thing the Main Arena is drastically lacking ATM is Irish acts of any size.

Could also see some sort of Bowie tribute thing - a lot of festivals have had that this year and it'd go down a treat I'd say.

And then it'll be padded out with close to 20 smaller Irish acts to open and fill out all the stages throughout the weekend, ranging from the Trinity Orchestra and the Dublin Gospel Choir (or a few more unusual but similar groups - maybe a ukulele orchestra? They are popular lately!) to the Booka Brass Band, Glen Hansard and Jape.

That'd bring it to about 80 acts for the main arena in total.

Another Noddy-type question from me on this - is such a significant announcement routine for the fest at this late stage?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,746 ✭✭✭BullBlackNova

Another Noddy-type question from me on this - is such a significant announcement routine for the fest at this late stage?

There's usually an announcement in late July/early August to fill in the remainder of the names.

It usually comprises largely of Irish and smallish acts, Sunday afternoon fillers and the likes of the Orchestras and Choirs that perform most years.

It came on July 24 last year, and the biggest names were the Boomtown Rats, Le Galaxie, Villagers and Parquet Courts. There were 21 names in total.

But, EP haven't stuck to a typical release schedule this year for acts so it's hard to tell what they'll do. But as was pointed out above, they're about 40 acts down on the main arena in comparison to the last few years and there is a striking lack of Irish bands set for the main arena, so it's highly likely that an announcement will come and that it will include a lot of Irish acts.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,113 ✭✭✭scruff monkey
    Snarky Snark Snark

There's nothing routine about this any more

• Registered Users Posts: 339 ✭✭Slobberdawn

Wouldn't mind seeing her but would her stuff not be a little "precious and delicate" for a loud festival setting?

You could be right. She'd have to be in a tent. Saw her in the Olympia and it might well have been my favourite gig ever.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,654 ✭✭✭✭MJohnston

You could be right. She'd have to be in a tent. Saw her in the Olympia and it might well have been my favourite gig ever.

Nah, give her the Sigur Ros sunset slot, worked great for them!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,543 ✭✭✭Ferris_Bueller

Casa Bacardi line up is weaker than previous years IMO but still some good DJs on there. Nicky Siano, Horse Meat Disco, Hercules & Love Affair are all good DJs who I'd like to see.. In terms of Irish DJs, Get Down Edits, Kellyanne Byrne & DJ Deece are some of the best around. DJ Deece is apparently closing out the stage on the Saturday night according to his facebook.

I get what people say about the poser crowd at Casa Bacardi but I think it is a great place to be at around 5 or 6 o'clock in the evening when the sun is shining and it's not too busy. In previous years I've seen the likes of Maurice Fulton, Get Down Edits, Kellyanne Byrne and DJ Deece in there around these times and it was great fun when you're with a group of friends. It can get very busy at night time though.

There has to be another main announcement coming, they've been releasing smaller stages at around mid day for about the past week so I would hope it's building up to a final main announcement. It will probably mainly have Irish acts on it but I'd say a handful of international acts too.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,653 ✭✭✭Seathrun66

Jim C is the man. Strong opinions. More power to the kid. Love the sense of impish glee you get from his stuff when best laid plans go down the swanny.

He did an unnecessarily over the top negative review of Ocean Colour Scene's gig at the picnic a few years back, was akin to clubbing baby whales.
    Yeah, I didn't see the point of that, it just seemed pointlessly angry & bitter and it doesn't fit with the EP vibe. No fan of OCS, but there were worse bands there that weekend.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,653 ✭✭✭Seathrun66

True. But we've had the likes of Antony & The Johnsons, Michael Nyman, Laura Marling acoustic, Van Dyke Parks & other sedate stuff before. Just don't add 65 Days of Static and put them in the tent next to her.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,914 ✭✭✭Rigor Mortis

Given the huge gap in the number of acts for the main arena, I wonder could it be losing a stage. Maybe one of the tents is no more. As most are not open on Friday, that would account for maybe 8 acts on Sat and Sun. It would explain a good chunk of the gap.

In other thoughts, that Jerry Fish line up has some very nice additions. If you are The Strypes you possibly have to be upset that you have final proof that you have failed to reach the heights that were predicted for you.

Given the huge gap in the number of acts for the main arena, I wonder could it be losing a stage. Maybe one of the tents is no more. As most are not open on Friday, that would account for maybe 8 acts on Sat and Sun. It would explain a good chunk of the gap.

In other thoughts, that Jerry Fish line up has some very nice additions. If you are The Strypes you possibly have to be upset that you have final proof that you have failed to reach the heights that were predicted for you.

Yeah, they were technically excellent at a very young age, with great taste and a natural swagger.

Different kettle of fish finding your own sound i guess.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭the_gommes

MadYaker wrote: »
    There'll probably be some David Bowie thing. They had a David Bowie singalong in the Pyramid feild at Glastonbury but it was a bit of a mess as it wasn't officially organised by the festival so they didnt have a proper sound setup and they were sound testing the massive stacks for pyramid stage at the time so that kinda drowned it out. If EP did a proper one it would be cool though.

I'm happy enough with the lineup to be honest. There's enough acts to keep me going but not enough for there to be too many clashes. Though I really do hope for the sake of the future of the festival that there are some more good acts announced, if the organisers get away with a slim lineup this year they might try the same next year hoping that tickets will sell out just because it's Electric Picnic.

There's a "David Bowie Experience" thing on in the new hazel wood area so they have it covered! Dunno if it's a one off or nightly or an installation type thing but it's piqued my interest enough to warrant a visit anyway!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement