Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Electric Picnic 2016 // **Discussion Only / NO Ticket Sales / Requests** //

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,309 ✭✭✭✭alastair

Yeah, they were technically excellent at a very young age, with great taste and a natural swagger.

Different kettle of fish finding your own sound i guess.

I'd have been in the dubious camp regarding them - and didn't care for the, eh, 'early stuff' - ignored them the year they played the main stage, but they were fantastic in the Jerry Fish tent last year. The messy snarky Arctic Monkeys routine they had going on was only great - even if it's open to accusations of a different shade of pastiche. Won me over tbh.

the_gommes wrote: »
    There's a "David Bowie Experience" thing on in the new hazel wood area so they have it covered! Dunno if it's a one off or nightly or an installation type thing but it's piqued my interest enough to warrant a visit anyway!

I heard they've just dug up his corpse and put it on display.

• Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭the_gommes

alastair wrote: »
    I heard they've just dug up his corpse and put it on display.

Then I'm in like Flynn for the photo op.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,726 ✭✭✭Arne_Saknussem

I'd have been in the dubious camp regarding them - and didn't care for the, eh, 'early stuff' - ignored them the year they played the main stage, but they were fantastic in the Jerry Fish tent last year. The messy snarky Arctic Monkeys routine they had going on was only great - even if it's open to accusations of a different shade of pastiche. Won me over tbh.

Yeah i caught some of their set before Johnny Marr in the Electric Arena in 2013. Really enjoyed what i heard, but they were only going to get so far playing a completely retro style of rock n' roll.

Haven't heard anything they've done since, have they changed their sound at all?

Yeah i caught some of their set before Johnny Marr in the Electric Arena in 2013. Really enjoyed what i heard, but they were only going to get so far playing a completely retro style of rock n' roll.

Haven't heard anything they've done since, have they changed their sound at all?

There's a fair whack of early Arctic Monkeys in their recent stuff - and a sniff of Rory Gallagher in this one:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,726 ✭✭✭Arne_Saknussem

There's a fair whack of early Arctic Monkeys in their recent stuff - and a sniff of Rory Gallagher in this one:

Yeah, again it's decent and slickly delivered. They're still shockingly young too.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,893 ✭✭✭Rfrip

Casa Bacardi line up is weaker than previous years IMO but still some good DJs on there. Nicky Siano, Horse Meat Disco, Hercules & Love Affair are all good DJs who I'd like to see.. In terms of Irish DJs, Get Down Edits, Kellyanne Byrne & DJ Deece are some of the best around. DJ Deece is apparently closing out the stage on the Saturday night according to his facebook.

I get what people say about the poser crowd at Casa Bacardi but I think it is a great place to be at around 5 or 6 o'clock in the evening when the sun is shining and it's not too busy. In previous years I've seen the likes of Maurice Fulton, Get Down Edits, Kellyanne Byrne and DJ Deece in there around these times and it was great fun when you're with a group of friends. It can get very busy at night time though.

There has to be another main announcement coming, they've been releasing smaller stages at around mid day for about the past week so I would hope it's building up to a final main announcement. It will probably mainly have Irish acts on it but I'd say a handful of international acts too.

Completely agree...love it in the afternoon with the likes of mother, Kelly Anne Byrne and stevie g. While there are djs on I'd love to see at night, it's just too busy and just not able for it!!!plus I need a stylist with all the fashion in there!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,394 ✭✭✭Fatfrog

What's happening with the reduced Fridays? Something needs to change there, it was OK in the non sellout year's, but not so well with increased capacity.
    If you remember last year there was fook all on in the main arena, I think the entire capacity tried to get down the narrow forest roads to BBB at other voices!! What a mess that was, I'm sure something EP will be keen not to repeat on H&S grounds!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,721 ✭✭✭Stillill42

No word of any sort of Prince tribute yet? I was in the Academy a few weeks ago for a fantastic charity tribute. CC Brez was the main man for the (brilliant ) house band that night and he's down for Trailer Park so you never know. My missus is a massive fan of the little purple maestro.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,901 ✭✭✭Mince Pie

I will lose my **** (and my spoons) if joanna newsom and devendra banhart get added.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,587 ✭✭✭✭bodhrandude

Fatfrog wrote: »
    What's happening with the reduced Fridays? Something needs to change there, it was OK in the non sellout year's, but not so well with increased capacity.
    If you remember last year there was fook all on in the main arena, I think the entire capacity tried to get down the narrow forest roads to BBB at other voices!! What a mess that was, I'm sure something EP will be keen not to repeat on H&S grounds!

Yeah thats been on the go now since 2013, the slimmed down Fridays.

If you want to get into it, you got to get out of it. (Hawkwind 1982)

Friday is always a blur for me to be honest so tis all the one
    Year after year it's the same and I never learn

• Registered Users Posts: 10,654 ✭✭✭✭MJohnston

Friday was never a full day in any year, its always been slimmed down since they added it. Originally I suppose it was because they sold Saturday AND Sunday day tickets and it didn't make a whole pile of sense to load up the schedule on a Friday when a smaller crowd would be present. Suppose that still rings a bit true as many people don't get out of work until late on Friday and they wouldn't want half empty arenas.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,653 ✭✭✭Seathrun66

MJohnston wrote: »
    Friday was never a full day in any year, its always been slimmed down since they added it. Originally I suppose it was because they sold Saturday AND Sunday day tickets and it didn't make a whole pile of sense to load up the schedule on a Friday when a smaller crowd would be present. Suppose that still rings a bit true as many people don't get out of work until late on Friday and they wouldn't want half empty arenas.
    Friday had all stages functioning from 2006 to 2012, albeit with a later start (3/4pm) than Sat or Sun. As bodhrandude pointed out it's only since 2013 that they slimmed it down, and no great complaints as EP wasn't selling out. No excuses now and last year was a start in more stuff going on - Ride in Rankin's Wood, Dawes, My Morning Jacket, Belle & Sebastian in the Electric Arena. We could see a pretty full Friday again this year. 55,000 people need to be catered for.

Seathrun66 wrote: »
    Friday had all stages functioning from 2006 to 2012, albeit with a later start (3/4pm) than Sat or Sun. As bodhrandude pointed out it's only since 2013 that they slimmed it down, and no great complaints as EP wasn't selling out. No excuses now and last year was a start in more stuff going on - Ride in Rankin's Wood, Dawes, My Morning Jacket, Belle & Sebastian in the Electric Arena. We could see a pretty full Friday again this year. 55,000 people need to be catered for.

Hmm well I remember Fridays always being slimmed down, I seem to recall when first added none of the main arena even really opened, but then I also remember there were far fewer stages in the past too, so I think its hard to directly compare.

Also 55,000 is the capacity including Sunday day tickets, not how many folks will be there Friday!

• Registered Users Posts: 946 ✭✭✭grudgehugger

Still eagerly awaiting Radiohead's addition to the bill, but thought I might consider actually going to see someone I haven't seen before while in Stradbally so did some digging on a few acts this evening.

Have come away with Mura Masa, Little Simz and Nao (already recommended by a few posters on here) added to my list.

With a reasonable list of what I'd call "old reliables" (lcd, chems, new order, SFA , animal collective...) as well plenty of strong electronic names (Talabot, Avery, Mr. Scruff, terje, loads of good local djs) with rbma hopefully yet to come, I think I'm pretty happy with our lot.

Would have been really nice to get the likes of Radiohead or PJ Harvey, but at this stage I'd just love to see some DJ's I've never seen and really like get added in the rbma announcement (can't stop listening to dj kicks 50 by dj koze right now - not sure if there's any chance of him - I doubt it but can dream!)

Check these out:

Seathrun66 wrote: »

Hmm well I remember Fridays always being slimmed down, I seem to recall when first added none of the main arena even really opened, but then I also remember there were far fewer stages in the past too, so I think its hard to directly compare.

Also 55,000 is the capacity including Sunday day tickets, not how many folks will be there Friday!
    Here are the stage times for 2012:

https://www.goldenplec.com/electric-picnic-2012/

Friday always started later than Sat or Sun, but all the stages open and with acts from 3.30/4. The same for every year up to 2013 when they scaled back. And I believe we will have a more fleshed out Friday this year.

And here is 2010:

http://nialler9.com/electric-picnic-2010-stage-times/

Still eagerly awaiting Radiohead's addition to the bill, but thought I might consider actually going to see someone I haven't seen before while in Stradbally so did some digging on a few acts this evening.

Have come away with Mura Masa, Little Simz and Nao (already recommended by a few posters on here) added to my list.

With a reasonable list of what I'd call "old reliables" (lcd, chems, new order, SFA , animal collective...) as well plenty of strong electronic names (Talabot, Avery, Mr. Scruff, terje, loads of good local djs) with rbma hopefully yet to come, I think I'm pretty happy with our lot.

Would have been really nice to get the likes of Radiohead or PJ Harvey, but at this stage I'd just love to see some DJ's I've never seen and really like get added in the rbma announcement (can't stop listening to dj kicks 50 by dj koze right now - not sure if there's any chance of him - I doubt it but can dream!)

Check these out:

Where did you get Mr Scruff from, was scanning the poster and can see no sign of him, would love to see him added though.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,113 ✭✭✭scruff monkey
    Snarky Snark Snark

Where did you get Mr Scruff from, was scanning the poster and can see no sign of him, would love to see him added though.

http://www.mrscruff.com/gigs/

• Registered Users Posts: 569 ✭✭✭Blackie_IRL

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 569 ✭✭✭Blackie_IRL

Love to see the Trinity Orchestra do a house classics, like the Heritage Orchestra did with Pete Tong in the Albert Hall, something different and would IMO go down a treat on the main stage

• Registered Users Posts: 113 ✭✭RustyP

3hr set in RBMA

This is taken from his page "4 Hour DJ set at the legendary Electric Picnic in Ireland.
    7-11pm Saturday"

You know, as great as a Mr Scruff 4 hour set would be, 7-11pm is a bad time for it imo, there will only be a small amount of people there the whole time given how many headliners will clash. He'd be amazing for a Sunday afternoon set, 2-6pm or something like that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,967 ✭✭✭Synode

I wish Despacio was back this year. I'm gonna miss it

Synode wrote: »

Totally...it was great to dip in and out of

You know, as great as a Mr Scruff 4 hour set would be, 7-11pm is a bad time for it imo, there will only be a small amount of people there the whole time given how many headliners will clash. He'd be amazing for a Sunday afternoon set, 2-6pm or something like that.

Well at least he has given a day split, we know what time and day he is playing, delighted he has been added,

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,746 ✭✭✭BullBlackNova

Love to see the Trinity Orchestra do a house classics, like the Heritage Orchestra did with Pete Tong in the Albert Hall, something different and would IMO go down a treat on the main stage

I presume if they are there, it'll be Bowie and/or Prince this year.

Last year, they didn't perform unfortunately 'cos they had performed Sufjan Stevens' "Illinois" at another festival and I'm told it was great.

Their rendition of Daft Punk's "Discovery" was great a few years ago, but the Gorillaz thing they did was ****e.

No activity on their Twitter account since the end of May, though, so maybe they aren't together this summer. They played some LCD Soundsystem stuff at the Trinity Ball in April so they were active - that's the downside to a student-run orchestra, I guess, they've all f*cked off on a J1 instead of playing EP!!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,314 ✭✭✭BOHtox

I presume if they are there, it'll be Bowie and/or Prince this year.

Last year, they didn't perform unfortunately 'cos they had performed Sufjan Stevens' "Illinois" at another festival and I'm told it was great.

Their rendition of Daft Punk's "Discovery" was great a few years ago, but the Gorillaz thing they did was ****e.

No activity on their Twitter account since the end of May, though, so maybe they aren't together this summer. They played some LCD Soundsystem stuff at the Trinity Ball in April so they were active - that's the downside to a student-run orchestra, I guess, they've all f*cked off on a J1 instead of playing EP!!

Now there's an act I'd like to see

• Registered Users Posts: 735 ✭✭✭milehip

Anyone any Idea what day LCD are playing?

• Advertisement

Rfrip wrote: »
    Synode wrote: »

Totally...it was great to dip in and out of
    Or even shuttle back and forth from Cocktail Cocktail across the way?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement