Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Electric Picnic 2016 // **Discussion Only / NO Ticket Sales / Requests** //

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 91 ✭✭Space Shanty

Yeah with 3 & a half weeks to go, it's hard to know if anything major will be announced. Do they ever leave it this late to announce more acts?

they've announced mid range goodies (Jenny Lewis) at this stage before, but they've never sold out so early before or announced the acts in such an all over the shop manner.

all.bets.off.

Yeah it's a different scenario this time.
    The lineup would need to get a major boost or it'll probably be my last time going.
    End of the Road and Festival No.6 are around the same time, and Bestival too, so there's plenty of choice and those choices are often top class for lineups.
    Even a quick look at EOTR and you see the likes of GOAT, Thee Oh Sees, Steve Mason, Omar Souleyman and King Gizzard, all of whom would give the EP mid-tier act lineup a huge lift.

• Registered Users Posts: 480 ✭✭saffron22

However at this late stage I would think that's more a last minute scramble than a plan. I doubt anything worth talking about will be added. They are basically plugging loads of little new stages constantly on facebook in an effort to distract from the mediocre at best main acts. Hopefully I will end up being proven wrong. But it's never been this late. Feels like they are trying to maximise their profits over actually providing quality.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,113 ✭✭✭scruff monkey
    Snarky Snark Snark

yeah, i'm happy enough to keep meself quite busy with what's there for the weekend but if it is actually a case that there's half the number of main arena acts listed compared to previous years with what is quite a jump in numbers again, then I'll be looking to go abroad for a festival fix next year unless they pull finger out and show us what's behind the fur coat.

knickers or no knickers time is here...

yeah, i'm happy enough to keep meself quite busy with what's there for the weekend but if it is actually a case that there's half the number of main arena acts listed compared to previous years with what is quite a jump in numbers again, then I'll be looking to go abroad for a festival fix next year unless they pull finger out and show us what's behind the fur coat.

knickers or no knickers time is here...

If, as others have said, we're about 40-45 short of 'main' lineup acts compared to previous years, and we assume they aren't going to announce that many names this week, should we take it that they're trying to plug those gaps by bringing the RBMA in from the forest and the likes?

Are all the usual main arena stages even guaranteed to be there this year?

Snarky Snark Snark

If, as others have said, we're about 40-45 short of 'main' lineup acts compared to previous years, and we assume they aren't going to announce that many names this week, should we take it that they're trying to plug those gaps by bringing the RBMA in from the forest and the likes?

I'd assume the usual main stages are going to be there, I would not assume that you could plug a gap of 40 acts with a bunch of DJs as no matter what you might think of that sort of music (not my bag anyway), it's no replacement for a mid afternoon gig where you don't need to be ahem.. chemically enhanced to groove to...

They've 55,000 people to make happy, that's a lot of stages and act names that need fillin pronto.

• Advertisement

I'd assume the usual main stages are going to be there, I would not assume that you could plug a gap of 40 acts with a bunch of DJs as no matter what you might think of that sort of music (not my bag anyway), it's no replacement for a mid afternoon gig where you don't need to be ahem.. chemically enhanced to groove to...

They've 55,000 people to make happy, that's a lot of stages and act names that need fillin pronto.

Yeah the added attendance would make you think more acts are necessary, not fewer.
    Something definitely doesn't add up as it stands.
    At least I've found a few standout acts to keep me in Body & Soul for while.
    Overhead, The Albatross being the pick... I think they'll be amazing.
    The lineup was badly short of post-rock until I heard their debut album

• Registered Users Posts: 480 ✭✭saffron22

Overhead the Albatross are amazing. One of the best bands in Ireland

saffron22 wrote: »
    Overhead the Albatross are amazing. One of the best bands in Ireland

Yeah it's definitely one of the standout albums of the year I think.
    I hope they play late in B&S... should go down a storm on the main stage there

Snarky Snark Snark

How many bodies does the B&S main stage handle? That place is just a cluster.**** trying to get into see anyone.

How many bodies does the B&S main stage handle? That place is just a cluster.**** trying to get into see anyone.

Not sure to be honest, and it can definitely be a hassle.
    I'd guess about 600 people but maybe that's miles off?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 657 ✭✭✭sally cinnamon89

I would be expecting an announcement this week filling all the gaps in the lineup

• Registered Users Posts: 28,193 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

Is it still down in the hollow at the tree?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,543 ✭✭✭Ferris_Bueller

A few weeks ago I was worried there wouldn't be another announcement but the more I think about it, there absolutely has to be.

On the "Main Arena Stages" last year (Main, Rankins, Cosby, LBT, EA) it took 84 acts to fill all of the slots, this is with 3 of those stages being closed on the Friday. There is no way that they would get away with the ~50 acts they have now, it simply wouldn't be enough music to have those 5 stages open.

Where are the current gaps on the line up? I would say we are lacking in 1 or 2 evening main stage acts (especially now that HAIM are gone), possibly 1 or 2 sub headliners in some of the tents, some evening acts across all stages and then the rest would be early in the day acts spread across all stages. That is pretty much what we have gotten in the final announcement the last 3 years as well, so I would think it makes sense.

I don't think the next announcement will be anything amazing but I'd hope that everyone will have at least 1 or 2 more acts that they would go and see. I will be interested to see if this RBMA stage in the arena is going ahead however, I wonder will Mr.Scruff be one of the acts playing on that stage or will he be somewhere like the LBT?

In 2014 this is what we got in July, I would happily take something along these lines again:
    James Vincent McMorrow SBTRKT Bombay Bicycle Club The 1975 Hozier Wild Beasts
    Hercules & Love Affair Cathy Davey Asgeir Nick Mulvey Sampha Rustie
    Seinabo Sey The Strypes Walking on Cars Le Galaxie **** Robot
    Bp Falcon Nightbox Sheppard The Whereabouts Trinity Orchestra Dublin Gospel Choir

If I got any two or three of Public Service Broadcasting, GOAT, King Gizzard, Leftfield, Human League, Thee Oh Sees, Afro Celt Soundsystem or Craig Charles I'd be happy.

Not much to ask surely 8-)

Snarky Snark Snark

Is it still down in the hollow at the tree?

yep, it's a fantastic spot but I think they'd really want to go in with a couple of diggers and expand the natural (assuming that it is natural) hollow.

It's just not suitable for the volume of people there now.
    ... Cathy Davey ...

The year that Cathy Davey does not appear is the year that we can actually declare it dead.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,193 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

I wasn't there in a few years, crowd was fine last time but one of the lads said the crowd was getting too big last year. This year probably worse then I presume.

I wasn't there in a few years, crowd was fine last time but one of the lads said the crowd was getting too big last year. This year probably worse then I presume.

It can get crowded on Sunday, and a bit rowdy in certain areas on Sunday too.
    Otherwise I haven't found it a problem, but it could be worse this year if the site isn't extended.
    There is always available green space, but if it's not close to any entertainment then it's never going to be filled with anyone

• Registered Users Posts: 748 ✭✭✭declanleo

Personally, I think red bull will have the lbt for the weekend which will account for about 25 acts still to be added with another 10- 15 to be announced. We'll probably get a few announcements this week with stage breakdown next week. Well, here's hoping

declanleo wrote: »
    Personally, I think red bull will have the lbt for the weekend which will account for about 25 acts still to be added with another 10- 15 to be announced. We'll probably get a few announcements this week with stage breakdown next week. Well, here's hoping

Maybe this is the plan... the RBMA replaces one of the current small tents... probably the LBT as you say given it's mainly electronic/dance acts in there.
    It would go some way to explaining things

Snarky Snark Snark

One thing that will be constant is that we won't get stage breakdowns until a few days before the event.
    Gotta sell those lanyards...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,501 ✭✭✭PabloAndRoy

yep, it's a fantastic spot but I think they'd really want to go in with a couple of diggers and expand the natural (assuming that it is natural) hollow.

It's just not suitable for the volume of people there now.

You're having a laugh, yeah? Sure you know, some of those trees obstruct the view and just get in the way. Get them out of there while you have the machinery in.

In years gone by, it used be jammers up there at night.... last year any time I went up there late night it was practically empty. I don't think the kids are down with the nature man.

Snarky Snark Snark

No, I'm not, i thought the main stage there was jammers last year and that hollow could be expanded once the festival is over to create a larger amphitheatre.

No, I'm not, i thought the main stage there was jammers last year and that hollow could be expanded once the festival is over to create a larger amphitheatre.

There isn't room to expand it. Plus its a daft idea... The whole point of the place is that it is a natural amphitheatre albeit intimate.

• Registered Users Posts: 109 ✭✭Art Fonzarelli

If I got any two or three of Public Service Broadcasting, GOAT, King Gizzard, Leftfield, Human League, Thee Oh Sees, Afro Celt Soundsystem or Craig Charles I'd be happy.

Goat would be incredible, saw them at Liverpool Psychfest a few years ago - one of the best gigs I've ever been to.

King Gizzard would be great, too, but I'd want them to play their Eyes Like Sky album in its entirety.

I'd be very happy with any of them and any of these: Teeth of the Sea, Annabel (lee), Nils Frahm, Futureheads, Melt Yourself Down, Meatraffle or, er, Radiohead (sorry). All of which are equally likely I'd imagine.

Snarky Snark Snark

There isn't room to expand it. Plus its a daft idea... The whole point of the place is that it is a natural amphitheatre albeit intimate.

You cannot do intimate with tens of thousands of people trying to get in to have a look, something has to give there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,967 ✭✭✭Synode

You cannot do intimate with tens of thousands of people trying to get in to have a look, something has to give there.

There wasn't 10s of thousands trying to get in there last year

Goat would be incredible, saw them at Liverpool Psychfest a few years ago - one of the best gigs I've ever been to.

King Gizzard would be great, too, but I'd want them to play their Eyes Like Sky album in its entirety.

I'd be very happy with any of them and any of these: Teeth of the Sea, Annabel (lee), Nils Frahm, Futureheads, Melt Yourself Down, Meatraffle or, er, Radiohead (sorry). All of which are equally likely I'd imagine.

Nils Frahm, Olafur Arnalds, Lubomyr Melnyk, Rival Consoles, Kiasmos or indeed any of the Erased Tapes label artists would be a major thumbs up, but Kiasmos played FF so that's out unfortunately.

But yeah, Nils would be very welcome

Nils Frahm, Olafur Arnalds, Lubomyr Melnyk, Rival Consoles, Kiasmos or indeed any of the Erased Tapes label artists would be a major thumbs up, but Kiasmos played FF so that's out unfortunately.

You are speaking my language here... Actually what I would love more than anything would be nonkeen ... TWO amazing albums this year .. go Nils.

quite possibly your sanity has already done so. ;)

• Advertisement

You are speaking my language here... Actually what I would love more than anything would be nonkeen ... TWO amazing albums this year .. go Nils.

Yeah I haven't listened to the new one yet so that'll be sorted today.
    Definitely another to put on the list of requests... in case any promoters are reading

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement