Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Electric Picnic 2016 // **Discussion Only / NO Ticket Sales / Requests** //

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,967 ✭✭✭Synode

Good crowd ? What time the music go on till ?

The crowd was great, no problems at all. Music over at 12am on the Saturday and 11:30pm on the Sunday.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,587 ✭✭✭✭bodhrandude

If that announcement metropolis made today was an EP announcement would it cheer up a few people here?

Definitely, would love to see Moderat, missed them at the Picnic in 2009 whiich was supposed to been amazing, I think they played late on Sat night/Sun morning in the Little Big Tent which was apparently rammed instead I was looking at 2ManyDJs on the main stage which was OK but not amazing. Caught Moderat in 2014 at Vicar St, a great gig.

If you want to get into it, you got to get out of it. (Hawkwind 1982)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,746 ✭✭✭BullBlackNova

Each of those acts would be an excellent addition.

I never got the Girl Band thing until I saw them at B&S this year and I really enjoyed them. Great live band.

Best live band in Ireland. Was blown away watching them (twice) at Picnic last year.

Definitely, would love to see Moderat, missed them at the Picnic in 2009 whiich was supposed to been amazing, I think they played late on Sat night/Sun morning in the Little Big Tent which was apparently rammed instead I was looking at 2ManyDJs on the main stage which was OK but not amazing. Caught Moderat in 2014 at Vicar St, a great gig.

First time I'd seen 2ManyDJs and thought they were great. Still haven't heard anyone mix farm animals into their set since :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 19,701 ✭✭✭✭everlast75

Got this standard reply to my comment on FB moments ago..

"Hi, there are more acts to come for the main line up. Once the announcement date is confirmed we will let you know"

Talk about dragging it out :/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,202 ✭✭✭maximoose

Best live band in Ireland. Was blown away watching them (twice) at Picnic last year.

I heard such wildly varying reports about their set at picnic last year I'm kind of curious to see them. It was probably about 40% "highlight of the weekend", 60% "worst piece of shît I've ever seen"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,746 ✭✭✭BullBlackNova

maximoose wrote: »
    I heard such wildly varying reports about their set at picnic last year I'm kind of curious to see them. It was probably about 40% "highlight of the weekend", 60% "worst piece of shît I've ever seen"

I'm in the former category - thought their sets in Little Big Tent (I think, I can never remember which is which!!) and on the Salty Dog were absolutely brilliant. But I dragged along about 5 or 6 people who were looking at me like I had two heads at first. At least one or two had converted by the end of the set!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,536 ✭✭✭former total

everlast75 wrote: »
    Got this standard reply to my comment on FB moments ago..

"Hi, there are more acts to come for the main line up. Once the announcement date is confirmed we will let you know"

Talk about dragging it out :/

But you knew the answer before you asked the question. Were you surprised when you got the reply that you knew was coming?

If they are waiting to confirm a date for an announcement there must be one or two fairly sizeable acts to be announced, otherwise if it was low key Irish acts wouldn't they just announce them there and then. Maybe there is some important names to come on the list, they are waiting for said acts to slot a date sometime on the EP weekend. Its a bit scrambled really but it makes you think, maybe...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,726 ✭✭✭Arne_Saknussem

If they are waiting to confirm a date for an announcement there must be one or two fairly sizeable acts to be announced, otherwise if it was low key Irish acts wouldn't they just announce them there and then. Maybe there is some important names to come on the list, they are waiting for said acts to slot a date sometime on the EP weekend. Its a bit scrambled really but it makes you think, maybe...

Don't do it to yourself BD, it's the hope that kills you!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭DanielSwords

Just announced the return of The Surf Laundry Club on Instagram. At long last...

• Registered Users Posts: 19,701 ✭✭✭✭everlast75

But you knew the answer before you asked the question. Were you surprised when you got the reply that you knew was coming?

I didn't know the answer before I asked the question!? I was hoping they might say "we will be making a further announcement later this week/next week".. you know? like an answer?

• Registered Users Posts: 480 ✭✭saffron22

Just announced the return of The Surf Laundry Club on Instagram. At long last...[/quote

Thank God I was worried they were trying to distract from a crap bill by making small non announcements

• Registered Users Posts: 2,393 ✭✭✭Fatfrog

Don't get me wrong if someone can go enjoy themselves in cocktail cocktail or Heineken Atlas let them at it, nobody is forced to go into those areas, and it does create income that can in theory offset artist costs or ticket prices.
    BUT I feel the EP need to be a bit more careful on how much input and dominance these guys have, after all WE ALL KNOW THE ONLY REASON WE HAVE "SECURITY" CHECKS GOING INTO THE MAIN ARENA IS BECAUSE OF A BOOZE COMPANY!!. Nothing against them or any other company, but they're only interested in their product and have absolutely no concern for the festival in the long run. So I think the EP need to be firm on;
    1: Where these "trader" areas are positioned. (I stopped to watch a guy playing in body and soul but all I could hear was the cocktail place)

2: The terms and demands these companies have, they're paying cash and are well aware of this fact, some can get greedy. The last thing we want is a third party corporate input on line up, capacity, layout, dates etc.
    I suppose Glastonbury would be the example we should be aiming for (although it's generally the execption)

3: Stop whoring itself out from every angle! Or at least keep corporate on one channel and have a dedicated channel for thexample regular stuff! There was a time when I got really excited by an EP press release or social media post, but its so diluted now I'll barely bother.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,391 ✭✭✭Lotus Flower

I'm in the former category - thought their sets in Little Big Tent (I think, I can never remember which is which!!) and on the Salty Dog were absolutely brilliant. But I dragged along about 5 or 6 people who were looking at me like I had two heads at first. At least one or two had converted by the end of the set!

Also in the former category! Would rarely listen to Girl Band at home but have seen them a few times and they've always been brilliant. Can understand how they're not for everyone, I took a friend along to their set and he deemed them too "heavy"

• Registered Users Posts: 5,113 ✭✭✭scruff monkey
    Snarky Snark Snark

Just announced the return of The Surf Laundry Club on Instagram. At long last...

If you need a laundry then you are either not doing it right or doing it really really right.

• Registered Users Posts: 5 rubyscooby

Really enjoying this thread thank you. Great recommendations and my list of who to see jumped from 5 acts to about 20 so cheers for that :)

I totally agree re. the lineup. This is my 7th picnic, I go with the same EP family every year and some of them are just mad. Really mad. Unless things improve they want us to check out Bestival, or the likes, in 2017 instead.

For me, I don't know most of the acts on the lineup on any given year. It's the discovery and the unplanned magic that happens every year without fail that makes EP the highlight of my year. There is always moaning before hand but we always have an amazing time.

That being said the vibe has changed. It feels much busier. On Sunday last year stood up by EA and looking down the slight hill, the number of people was just unbelievable and it made me feel kind of sad. However the general aesthetics and vibe that makes the picnic so special definitely remains in my opinion. Best picnic for me was 2010. Massive Attack in the pouring rain Sunday night & LCD Soundsystem in the Electric Arena on the Saturday I think.... LCD that night were my all time, BEST live act highlight of my whole entire life. Emazzzzzin. I had no clue who they were before that picnic but you could overhear everyone talking about them so I went along. So glad I did. So excited for them this year.

Aaaaaanyway. Sorry for droning on. Now for me question... I've done Podpads for years. They moved to Pink Moon last year. I only managed Sunday last year (long story). So this is my 1st year in PodPads in Pink Moon. I'm curious as to what the set-up is. It looks MILES away. Is there a sneaky carpark closer to it? Is there another entrance than the main one? I don't fancy that treck :(
    Is it much bigger than the boutique camping area? What are the facilities like?

Sooooooooo excited :)))))))))

There's an entrance from Pink Moon into the arena that leaves you right beside the Electric Arena. The green car park is where you want to be if you're in Pink Moon. The facilities are class. Has it's own bar and coffee/food stand

• Registered Users Posts: 5,113 ✭✭✭scruff monkey
    Snarky Snark Snark

There's a car park by the paint ball entrance which is a 5 min walk to pink moon entrance. On mobile so not sure which it is but some kind soul can probably pull up a map and Id it for you

Is the Body and Soul 2016 Spotify playlist for B&S @ Electric Picnic or is it for their standalone festival?

I found the EP specific one: https://open.spotify.com/user/epfestival/playlist/1wogoGs8DccAShu18KUHza

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,653 ✭✭✭Seathrun66

I reckon you're right, have felt this all along. Surely one of the acts are Squeeze for the Friday night and they're waiting for Vicar St on Sat/Belfast on Sun to sell out before announcing.

Seathrun66 wrote: »
    I reckon you're right, have felt this all along. Surely one of the acts are Squeeze for the Friday night and they're waiting for Vicar St on Sat/Belfast on Sun to sell out before announcing.

Or maybe Madness, you never know. The 3rd Sept Saturday is still free. http://www.madness.co.uk/live/

Or maybe Madness, you never know. The 3rd Sept Saturday is still free. http://www.madness.co.uk/live/
    Or both! I'm setting myself up for a bashing here but I think the only reason for such a delay is they're finalising stuff with acts and/or waiting for gigs to sell out. I'm expecting a very decent last announcement.

• Registered Users Posts: 533 ✭✭✭SmallBalls

Public Service Broadcasting ....please :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,726 ✭✭✭Arne_Saknussem

Or both! I'm setting myself up for a bashing here but I think the only reason for such a delay is they're finalising stuff with acts and/or waiting for gigs to sell out. I'm expecting a very decent last announcement.

Tell the truth, you haven't given up on Radiohead have you?

Tell the truth, you haven't given up on Radiohead have you?
    Not entirely Arne, mad though that is.

• Registered Users Posts: 242 ✭✭Tago Mago

Crystal castles too , decent lineup starting off. Anyone go last year ?

Yeah enjoyed myself. Some of the halls were jammers for the more popular acts & hipster knobs standing around more interested in taking selfies etc than having a boogie a minor quibble suppose. They'd had a heavily paired down Arcadia installation which only made me pine for a larger incarnation at EP.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,706 ✭✭✭sadie06

As evident by my lack of participation in the thread this year, I'm just not feeling it. I hope it hits me soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 5 rubyscooby

Thanks for the tips re. pink moon. So the green carpark and paintball entrance is where I need to be.

24 sleeps but who's counting.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 179 ✭✭Goldigga

http://www.aclfestival.com/schedule-weekend-two/?utm_campaign=2016-social&utm_source=acl&utm_medium=facebook&utm_content=20160809-grid-launch-fb-wknd2-event-page#friday-2016-10-07

Full schedule for ACL festival in Austin, Texas.

A festival that is nearly 2 months away... EP is 3 weeks away and they are still talking announcement dates for main stage acts. Seriously.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement