Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Electric Picnic 2016 // **Discussion Only / NO Ticket Sales / Requests** //

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 339 ✭✭Slobberdawn

Peterd66 wrote: »
    Seathrun66 wrote: »
    So, best guesses for the the announcement? Based on dates I reckon Squeeze, Two Door Cinema Club, Joanna Newsom, Scritti Politti, Steve Mason, Thurston Moore, Cat's Eyes, Goat & a few more. Methinks the line-up will look pretty tasty in nine days time.

Also Billy Bragg/Joe Henry
    You seriously think Joanna will be added?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,653 ✭✭✭Seathrun66

So, best guesses for the the announcement? Based on dates I reckon Squeeze, Two Door Cinema Club, Joanna Newsom, Scritti Politti, Steve Mason, Thurston Moore, Cat's Eyes, Goat & a few more. Methinks the line-up will look pretty tasty in nine days time.

There's got to be a fair chance. EP sharing a lot of Acts with End of the Road, she has no other dates that weekend and she's a prime Picnic act.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,539 ✭✭✭ghostdancer

I wonder were they going to leave the announcement as is until they realised people weren't happy and so are now frantically scrambling for more acts?
    nah, they've often announced the final main stages acts in mid-August. this year is no different to many others.
    in 2014 it was on the 18th August, 11 days before the festival:
    http://www.independent.ie/entertainment/music/music-news/final-17-acts-announced-for-electric-picnic-30516539.html

• Registered Users Posts: 19,701 ✭✭✭✭everlast75

I'm hoping for James, Suede.

(in addition to Radiohead definitely playing obviously)

• Registered Users Posts: 748 ✭✭✭declanleo

lc180 wrote: »
    Metropolis tickets go on sale tomorrow morning, if i had to guess i'd say this announcement is to divert attention away from that. Sneeky as f**k but wouldn't be the first time they've done this. Nothing to really gain but screw with POD.

Thanks for the reminder.....sets alarm clock

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,718 ✭✭✭Stillill42

everlast75 wrote: »
    I'm hoping for James, Suede.

(in addition to Radiohead definitely playing obviously)

Fair play Everlast. It's that sort of positive mentality that we need in here. So happy am I with the Body and Soul playlist, the addition of Suede might send me down to Stradbally as happy as I've ever been. Keep smiling, everyone!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,508 ✭✭✭recyclebin

MJohnston wrote: »
    What does it matter anyway? You've either:

• Bought your ticket and want to go regardless of any additional acts.
    • Haven't bought a ticket but would love to go in which case you're fecked anyway.
    • Have a ticket but are on the fence and if you hate the lineup after the 19th you'll be able to flog it to one of the poor souls in category B.

They won't sell tickets for next year so easily if the additional acts are crap.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,519 ✭✭✭Mike Guide 69

I wonder were they going to leave the announcement as is until they realised people weren't happy and so are now frantically scrambling for more acts?

Lastminutenegotiations.com :p

• Registered Users Posts: 5,113 ✭✭✭scruff monkey
    Snarky Snark Snark

doubt it, even mid range bands (as in early evening Electric Arena/Main Stage/Rankin Woods) would have been signed up many moons ago.

Either
    a) they're being cynical ****ers and just assuming it's going to sell out next year (which will come back and bite)
    or
    b) they're trying to ease the PR spend and get a last minute bounce of publicity close to the event and have a good bounce for when the tickets go on sale in the weeks after for 2017

Bands will have their tours mapped out well in advance and you cannot last minute book them due to touring logistics, shifting gear around a continent is not a cheap business.

• Registered Users Posts: 238 ✭✭wacotaco

I think it will be The Libertines. They are doing festivals atm and it fits perfectly into their schedule with a London gig on the Wednesday after EP.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 748 ✭✭✭declanleo

Didn't Steve Mason play Forbidden Fruit? I hope he does a standalone gig as I missed him earlier in the summer!

He's was brilliant. I knew he was in the beta band but was pleasantly surprised

• Registered Users Posts: 5,538 ✭✭✭Ferris_Bueller

I presume we are guaranteed a good few Irish acts on the 19th, mostly Irish acts I would assume (Dublin Gospel Choir, Trinity Orchestra, Picture This, Walking on Cars, New Jackson, Mmoths, Krystal Klear, etc.) but apart from this I have absolutely no idea who or what to expect.

Collectively we've done a serious amount of research over the past few months, I hope we're not left disappointed.

Here is my wishlist of acts who could be still in with a chance, if I was to get even one or two of these I'd be delighted:

M83 - released their new album earlier in the year, had a massive festival tour across Europe this summer which goes right up to the week before EP in Italy. Ireland is probably one of few countries they haven't come to and they are in Ibiza 10 days after picnic. Top of the wishlist.

Madness - haven't played EP in a few years and they would be a lot of fun on the main stage. Playing in the UK & Belgium on the Friday & Sunday so the Sat is free, outside chance but they would definitely be a legacy act which the line up is severely lacking.

Flight Facilities - great live show and DJs. Haven't played any gigs in Ireland this year so far and have a series of gigs coming up in Europe between 13/08 - 28/08 before going back to Australia for a live show on 10/09.

Bloc Party - playing 4 festivals in Europe over the next few weeks but look like they are taking a break before going back to the US on 13/09. Would be a serious EP act and one I thought were in with a shout back before the first announcement.

Sigur Ros - wasn't a massive listener before this summer but have gotten into them recently. They have a big history with EP and playing a lot of European festivals again over the next few weeks. Possibly held off being announced until now because of their gig earlier in the summer if you believe in that theory?

Massive Attack - again, playing lots of festivals around Europe and are free most of the EP weekend (bar the Sat, in Bristol). Would be a very big act to be added this late.

Four Tet - another I thought might be announced from way back. Touring europe in the weeks leading up to EP. Anytime I've seen him he's been disappointing but has some great tunes undoubtedly.

Hot Chip/The 2 Bears - Okay different acts but rarely a year goes by where Joe Goddard (in both) doesn't play at EP, a lot of people are prob sick of them but would definitely go to either if they were added. Playing at Festival No. 6 in the UK the same weekend.

Etc, etc, etc... Realised half way through this post that I am getting my hopes up more than anything. Not expecting any of these to play but there are plenty of really good acts touring around the time of EP so I will have a glimmer of optimism. Come on EP, have one last surprise for us :D

• Registered Users Posts: 12,586 ✭✭✭✭bodhrandude

I presume we are guaranteed a good few Irish acts on the 19th, mostly Irish acts I would assume (Dublin Gospel Choir, Trinity Orchestra, Picture This, Walking on Cars, New Jackson, Mmoths, Krystal Klear, etc.) but apart from this I have absolutely no idea who or what to expect.

Collectively we've done a serious amount of research over the past few months, I hope we're not left disappointed.

Here is my wishlist of acts who could be still in with a chance, if I was to get even one or two of these I'd be delighted:

M83 - released their new album earlier in the year, had a massive festival tour across Europe this summer which goes right up to the week before EP in Italy. Ireland is probably one of few countries they haven't come to and they are in Ibiza 10 days after picnic. Top of the wishlist.

Madness - haven't played EP in a few years and they would be a lot of fun on the main stage. Playing in the UK & Belgium on the Friday & Sunday so the Sat is free, outside chance but they would definitely be a legacy act which the line up is severely lacking.

Flight Facilities - great live show and DJs. Haven't played any gigs in Ireland this year so far and have a series of gigs coming up in Europe between 13/08 - 28/08 before going back to Australia for a live show on 10/09.

Bloc Party - playing 4 festivals in Europe over the next few weeks but look like they are taking a break before going back to the US on 13/09. Would be a serious EP act and one I thought were in with a shout back before the first announcement.

Sigur Ros - wasn't a massive listener before this summer but have gotten into them recently. They have a big history with EP and playing a lot of European festivals again over the next few weeks. Possibly held off being announced until now because of their gig earlier in the summer if you believe in that theory?

Massive Attack - again, playing lots of festivals around Europe and are free most of the EP weekend (bar the Sat, in Bristol). Would be a very big act to be added this late.

Four Tet - another I thought might be announced from way back. Touring europe in the weeks leading up to EP. Anytime I've seen him he's been disappointing but has some great tunes undoubtedly.

Hot Chip/The 2 Bears - Okay different acts but rarely a year goes by where Joe Goddard (in both) doesn't play at EP, a lot of people are prob sick of them but would definitely go to either if they were added. Playing at Festival No. 6 in the UK the same weekend.

Etc, etc, etc... Realised half way through this post that I am getting my hopes up more than anything. Not expecting any of these to play but there are plenty of really good acts touring around the time of EP so I will have a glimmer of optimism. Come on EP, have one last surprise for us :D

I thought Four Tet was brilliant at Life Festival a few years back but I guess that was a fully loaded electronica audience and I'm sure he felt the vibe, I think Four Tet could be a good contender for the RBMA type stage, Massive Attack would be nice too, maybe in one of the marquees this time rather than the main stage as most of the headliners are already sorted out for there. As much as I like Hot Chip they need to take a break from EP, they've played it about seven times now. Wouldn't mind Bloc Party and Flight Facilities as I have missed both at various other festivals as you do with clashes anyway. Wouldn't mind M83 either they were brilliant at Body & Soul festival in 2012 or Iggy Pop wouldn't mind that fellah either. That's a neat bit of researching you done there Ferris hats off to ya. :)

If you want to get into it, you got to get out of it. (Hawkwind 1982)

• Registered Users Posts: 10,654 ✭✭✭✭MJohnston

recyclebin wrote: »
    They won't sell tickets for next year so easily if the additional acts are crap.

I was talking about the lateness of the announcement though, not the quality.

I joked in a comment on their facebook page that they should give Aphex Twin a wheel barrow full of cash to perform his AV screen video mapping show with Weirdcore and tour his Syro record at the Electric Arena for Saturday night, I couldn't resist.

And back to one of the originally announced, Daniel Avery, I realise he does tracks sometimes similar to Aphex Twin Analord material or is that AFX's Analord material, music inspired by the early eighties electro pop of Kraftwerk, Ultravox (Foxx's version), John Foxx, Tubeway Army, all indie gothish bleepy analogue synthesizer stuff. This track New Energy by Daniel Avery seems to be on that same wavelength.

• Registered Users Posts: 28 StephenOT

wacotaco wrote: »
    I think it will be The Libertines. They are doing festivals atm and it fits perfectly into their schedule with a London gig on the Wednesday after EP.

Nothing would make me happier!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,536 ✭✭✭former total

At this stage, I can't see any reason to think that the last announcement will be anything other than low-level filler.

People hoping for a headliner; please don't do it to yourselves.

• Registered Users Posts: 344 ✭✭room_149

Altern 8 surely?!!
    :D
    What with 'Full on Mask Hysteria' being re issued next month and all
    http://crackmagazine.net/2016/08/seminal-rave-classic-full-mask-hysteria-remastered/
    Not very likely but it would be some laugh if they slotted them in as the Electronic/ Dance 'Heritage' act!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 785 ✭✭✭team_actimel

And back to one of the originally announced, Daniel Avery, I realise he does tracks sometimes similar to Aphex Twin Analord material or is that AFX's Analord material, music inspired by the early eighties electro pop of Kraftwerk, Ultravox (Foxx's version), John Foxx, Tubeway Army, all indie gothish bleepy analogue synthesizer stuff. This track New Energy by Daniel Avery seems to be on that same wavelength.

Getting into Daniel Avery's music lately, really looking forward to seeing him at EP!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11 ronfee

Any chance of Lisa Hannigan? She has a new album out on the 19th

• Registered Users Posts: 23 DH1978

ronfee wrote: »

So that's why EP have waited until the 19th for the final announcement!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,746 ✭✭✭BullBlackNova

ronfee wrote: »

She's in Singapore that weekend.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,967 ✭✭✭Synode

I've figured it out lads. The delay is because Daft Punk are furiously trying to get a live show ready to debut at EP. The announcement has been delayed in case they don't get it finished in time ;)

You heard it here first

• Registered Users Posts: 119 ✭✭rocks1981

At this stage, I can't see any reason to think that the last announcement will be anything other than low-level filler.

People hoping for a headliner; please don't do it to yourselves.
    Unless the reason is....
    that because its already sold out, and they are preventing ticket touts making a packet after their huge announcement.
    Or because they still havn't fully agreed terms with a big band who are negotiating placement.
    or because they were waiting for a sponsor deal so they could afford to confirm an act.

really though it would be very silly of them to imply a big announcement, (with an announcement about an announcement, which they have only really done for big announcements) without having plans for a very good announcement.

Unless the only reason they did it, is because so many people were having negative comments on facebook they tried to stop them for a bit. so noone will ask "whens the next announcement"

• Registered Users Posts: 265 ✭✭Coz

The Electric Ireland Novelty Tent has given us an 80s theme in 2014, 90's tent in 2015 so I'm predicting a

"Toooo Fausunds well Griiiiiiimy UK Garage 2-Step fing, innit."

Reeeeeee-Wind

• Registered Users Posts: 293 ✭✭Kepler21

Trinity Orchestra will play David Bowie.

They played LCD Soundsystem back at Metropolis in November, but then LCD Soundsystem went and reformed.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,701 ✭✭✭✭everlast75

Synode wrote: »
    I've figured it out lads. The delay is because Daft Punk are furiously trying to get a live show ready to debut at EP. The announcement has been delayed in case they don't get it finished in time ;)

You heard it here first

Their warm up gig for Slane next year obviously ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 10,654 ✭✭✭✭MJohnston

I think the last announcement has the possibility of one more big name artist, if only to replace Haim, but other than that, going on previous years will be mostly mid and low tier acts that I'm probably more likely to go see anyway...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 388 ✭✭Peterd66

Just want through End of the Road and Bestival lineups and both are similarly uninspiring, particularly Bestival.

Teenage Fanclub for the Friday would be a great addition. Goat, Cat Power, Human League and Norman Jay might be good robs.

Pd66

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement