Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Electric Picnic 2016 // **Discussion Only / NO Ticket Sales / Requests** //

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,501 ✭✭✭PabloAndRoy

Excited for their set! Blue Monday live will be one of the highlights of the weekend I reckon. Legendary tune.

Album from last year was really good also. Still doing the stuff!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,726 ✭✭✭Arne_Saknussem

Yeah really liked Music Complete, i'd imagine the set will include a good few tunes from it.

• Registered Users Posts: 339 ✭✭Slobberdawn

after their Homerpalooza fiasco, they can **** right off
    Nod of acknowledgement. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,452 ✭✭✭showpony1

declanleo wrote: »
    Ffs. New order are brilliant. Some amount of hits that will go down a treat with the ahem older crowd

ok compare them to the band who has gone on last any previous sunday i can remember.
    they would be suitable in the fri night headline slot maybe.

personally i dont think theyll go on last sunday as was suggested.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,914 ✭✭✭Rigor Mortis

showpony1 wrote: »
    ok compare them to the band who has gone on last any previous sunday i can remember.
    the amount of apologists for the line-up here is ridiculous. they would be suitable in the fri night headline slot maybe.

For the day tripping audience, normally a little older, New Order will compare very nicely with Florence.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,700 ✭✭✭✭everlast75

For the day tripping audience, normally a little older, New Order will compare very nicely with Florence.

I was thinking the same slot as Manics last year - ie. before the main act on Sunday

• Registered Users Posts: 344 ✭✭room_149

They played the Saturday night in 2006- Groove Armada came on after I think..was fairly hammered and its a while ago now

• Registered Users Posts: 6,539 ✭✭✭ghostdancer

Excited for their set! Blue Monday live will be one of the highlights of the weekend I reckon. Legendary tune.
    saw them at Glastonbury and it was average at best. even The Hits were half-hearted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,746 ✭✭✭BullBlackNova

s8n wrote: »
    Suede, Brian Wilson and Gaz Coombes have to be real possibilities

Gaz Coombes has gigs on each night that weekend, so no.

Brian Wilson is in Denmark on Thursday, and the UK on Saturday and Sunday, but he isn't physically capable of doing that many gigs in such a short space of time so there's practically no chance of him being added for the Friday of EP. He hasn't done more than 3 gigs in a row at any point of this tour, he won't be starting now.

Suede don't have any European shows around that time. Schedule is totally clear so they might be added. They played Galway not long ago so I wouldn't think they're too likely though.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,914 ✭✭✭Rigor Mortis

everlast75 wrote: »
    I was thinking the same slot as Manics last year - ie. before the main act on Sunday

I'm not a fan of New Order, but i think their place in the Pantheon of music is probably a touch higher than that of Manics. In terms of influencing other bands. This is working off the assumption that they will be playing one or two Joy Division tunes.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,967 ✭✭✭Synode

saw them at Glastonbury and it was average at best. even The Hits were half-hearted.

I watched it on BBC and thought it looked great. Different strokes I suppose

Sunday seems very weak there for the day trippers.
    usually get a marquee act on the sunday night - outkast, florence etc lana del ray would probably be playing olympia or vicar street if doing her own show.

The whole way that EP does the Sunday ticket thing is a bit crappy. Buy your ticket before they sell out (cos they will) and here are some of the bands that you MIGHT get to see. You don't get to know who you are going to see until about the Wednesday before and it might not include ANY of the acts that you are interested in. I just couldn't do that.

"Buying a pig in a poke" is the expression i believe.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,113 ✭✭✭scruff monkey
    Snarky Snark Snark

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FlOd8pAJG0w

They could well be epic (Barney has always been a bit rough live)

• Registered Users Posts: 402 ✭✭BurtMacklin

Really enjoying the 368 pages of posts so far on this thread..
    I'm hoping Jesus and Mary Chain are added, a festival they were doing was cancelled and they are free saturday
    Maybe ride could come back, playing Brighton the following week - thought they were amazing last year.
    Personally would love the specials and james and cypress hill also, all touring this summer I think so you never know.

Someone mentioned Altern-8 - now that would be serious fun. Facemasks to the ready.....

Irish bands - king kong company and Otherkin surely to be added amongst others already mentioned, Sultans of Ping FC to return also. (Dave Couse to reform A House for too while we're at it !!!)

Announcing that an announcement is on the 19th was funny - GET ON WITH IT !!

They are playing in the Electric Arena this year. A member of the band informed me.

They are playing in the Electric Arena this year. A member of the band informed me.

solid addition.

These lads are great craic and deserve the Electric Arena spot. If you have never seen them, you really should.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,113 ✭✭✭scruff monkey
    Snarky Snark Snark

Suede don't have any European shows around that time. Schedule is totally clear so they might be added. They played Galway not long ago so I wouldn't think they're too likely though.

They also played in the Olympia a few months back (superb gig), would love to see them but suspect computer says nooo, cough.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,653 ✭✭✭Seathrun66

the amount of apologists for the line-up here is ridiculous. they would be suitable in the fri night headline slot maybe.

I'd have thought that the daytrippers were a lot younger, or so it appeared to me each year. They've usually put on an appropriate act for them - Killers, Outkast, Florence, etc. I also can't see New Order headlining on Sunday (brilliant though they'll be) and definitely not Lana Del Rey (who I'm also expecting decent things from). Possibly a new act to come next week (Libertines would work) or someone we've overlooked.

declanleo wrote: »
    Sunday seems very weak there for the day trippers.
    usually get a marquee act on the sunday night - outkast, florence etc lana del ray would probably be playing olympia or vicar street if doing her own show.

Ffs. New order are brilliant. Some amount of hits that will go down a treat with the ahem older crowd
    I don't think he's criticising New Order, just their possible inability to appeal to a younger crowd. They'll be great, as ever, but I also can't see them headlining Sunday.

• Registered Users Posts: 129 ✭✭HausOfTony

Thoughts on Skepta being announced? He's pretty big on the festival circuit and only date I can see that weekend is the 3rd in Bristol?

Yeah really liked Music Complete, i'd imagine the set will include a good few tunes from it.
    Roughly five tracks per show from that going by their setlists. With La Roux & others regularly turning up. Here's hoping.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,586 ✭✭✭✭bodhrandude

HausOfTony wrote: »
    Thoughts on Skepta being announced? He's pretty big on the festival circuit and only date I can see that weekend is the 3rd in Bristol?

Is that the London grime hip hop act that played Glastonbury this year, Shutdown was the track that was played I think, I don't know if that style is in for Irish festivals here, but I would welcome these guys, refreshing and energetic with the beats and measure of the tunes in odd places, pretty cool actually.

If you want to get into it, you got to get out of it. (Hawkwind 1982)

I'm a bit worried that EP will try to shoehorn Two Door Cinema Club in as Sunday night headliners. They're not my thing but could have huge appeal to the kids. Last album number one in Ireland, new one on the way, they drew a big crowd playing after Bjork in 2013 and they're headlining the NME/BBC stage at Reading the weekend before. It'll appease some of the Facebook crew anyway. Happy for them to be announced, but not that slot please.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,835 ✭✭✭StickyMcGinty

Why dont we try something different. Let's set expectations so low for this announcement that the actual announcement will sound top quality no matter what. It'll be good for our mental health

I'll start us off....

Paddy Casey, David Hasselhoff and Rick Astley for the nostalgia act

:)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,726 ✭✭✭Arne_Saknussem

I'd go see the Hoff

npspicturenps35585877.jpg

Speaking of Skepta I wouldn't mind some acts from this Saturday day festival in Bristol, well three of them Skepta, Primal Scream and Massive Attack, the Picnic would piss off Sea Sessions festival though if they scooped Primal Scream.

13932841_10154387941454257_800456998059460401_n.png?oh=0cd94ffe690255e39b5cb366012292ce&oe=581807AA&__gda__=1482109710_e231fc1c577ed58306c73a2be7fbf08a

• Registered Users Posts: 1,452 ✭✭✭showpony1

Two door cinema club play reading end of august and then nothing until end of sept so i reckon they'll be one of the acts. quite happy with them some good tunes.

• Registered Users Posts: 129 ✭✭HausOfTony

Is that the London grime hip hop act that played Glastonbury this year, Shutdown was the track that was played I think, I don't know if that style is in for Irish festivals here, but I would welcome these guys, refreshing and energetic with the beats and measure of the tunes in odd places, pretty cool actually.

Yeah that's him, didn't know much about him but seen him on most festival line ups. Think he could have played Forbidden Fruit but not 100%

• Registered Users Posts: 23 Pudz21

go go go go

I didn't start going till much later than that age and went on me own initially.

There's an advantage in being solo, pick and choose what you want to see, no need to hang around waiting for others, stay out as late or go to bed as early as you want to. It's quite freeing.

Ok iv decided i will give EP a go on my own, i know i will enjoy the acts i want to see it was just the feeling of being billy no mates during the day but im sure i will bump into people have a chat and have a great time.

HausOfTony wrote: »
    Yeah that's him, didn't know much about him but seen him on most festival line ups. Think he could have played Forbidden Fruit but not 100%

Just checked, he did play FF this year, but EP acts and FF acts have always been interchangeable through the years, although I can't remember if international artists have played both in the same year except maybe some Irish acts.

Edit: Damn I thought Caribou played both in 2011, it was actually EP in 2010 on the B&S main stage and he played FF the following year.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,193 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

Is the Church there this year, we could marry Pudz off on Friday. We'll all go to the wedding.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement