Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Electric Picnic 2016 // **Discussion Only / NO Ticket Sales / Requests** //

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,113 ✭✭✭scruff monkey
    Snarky Snark Snark

neddynono wrote: »
    Was at an All Tvvins instore performance today and asked them about the picnic, they said no. Have 2 Olympia shows so they said that's it 😩

Could well be the old Mandy Rice Davies quote being applicable here
    "Well he would say that wouldn't he?"

• Registered Users Posts: 287 ✭✭neddynono

Could well be the old Mandy Rice Davies quote being applicable here
    "Well he would say that wouldn't he?"

They did finish our chat with never say never but it's unlikely 🤔

• Registered Users Posts: 10,654 ✭✭✭✭MJohnston

Positive hat: Good to have a new extra area in the main arena, it will surely help to spread the crowd out a bit more. Some really good Irish DJs on the line up too, I can definitely see myself spending some time down there on the Sunday, New Jackson has been brilliant any time I've seen him. The stage looks cool if they are bringing that one from Dekmantel!

Negative hat: Disappointing that in previous years Red Bull have booked some big international DJs such as Joy O, Ben Klock, Todd Terry, Paul Woolford, etc. but this year Mr.Scruff is the only non-Irish DJ they have booked. Also sounds like it is going to be very similar music to Casa Bacardi? Personally a good thing for me, but seems strange to have two areas which seem basically identical.

Verdict: Happy enough with it as there are a lot of DJs I would have an interest in seeing, but expected a few bigger headliners. Puts a bit more pressure on next Fridays announcement IMO.

I wonder what time the music will finish at on this stage?

Think someone mentioned Scruff was doing 7pm-11pm, but maybe he's not on last?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,538 ✭✭✭Ferris_Bueller

Yeah it was on his website. 11pm would be very early to close a stage! I'd say it will go on until at least midnight, hopefully later. I've always wondered why so many of the bigger main arena stages close so early.

• Registered Users Posts: 105 ✭✭Dark and Long

So is the rave in the woods gone??! :eek:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 569 ✭✭✭Blackie_IRL

Wonder if James Blake could be added. Gaps in his tour schedule similar to Miike Snow and M83. If those 3 were added I have to admit I'd be fairly content/impressed overall with the line-up. Make it happen EP.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,393 ✭✭✭Fatfrog

Red Bull Announcement

Friday, 2nd Sept:
    Fish Go Deep, Colm K, Timmy Stewart, Discotekken, Galactic Beat Club, Ciara Brady, KC

Saturday, 3rd Sept:
    Mr. Scruff, Phil Boyle, Nialler9, Sim Simma, This Greedy Pig, James Hannan

Sunday, 4th Sept:
    New Jackson, Billy Scurry, Stevie G, Donal Dineen, Hubie Davison, Mr. Ray, Dave McCabe

Positive hat: Good to have a new extra area in the main arena, it will surely help to spread the crowd out a bit more. Some really good Irish DJs on the line up too, I can definitely see myself spending some time down there on the Sunday, New Jackson has been brilliant any time I've seen him. The stage looks cool if they are bringing that one from Dekmantel!

Negative hat: Disappointing that in previous years Red Bull have booked some big international DJs such as Joy O, Ben Klock, Todd Terry, Paul Woolford, etc. but this year Mr.Scruff is the only non-Irish DJ they have booked. Also sounds like it is going to be very similar music to Casa Bacardi? Personally a good thing for me, but seems strange to have two areas which seem basically identical.

Verdict: Happy enough with it as there are a lot of DJs I would have an interest in seeing, but expected a few bigger headliners. Puts a bit more pressure on next Fridays announcement IMO.

I wonder what time the music will finish at on this stage?

I presume Red bull this will be a typical circus tent or something similar to the Electric Ireland Marquee? could well have a much smaller capacity than when it was in the woods.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,538 ✭✭✭Ferris_Bueller

So is the rave in the woods gone??! :eek:

No. The "rave in the woods" appears to be going ahead in a new form called 'Anachronica', not sure what it will look like compared to previous years but this is essentially the new rave in the woods by the sounds of things.

The announcement today was of a new stage in the main arena which is being run by Red Bull.

Snarky Snark Snark

From looking at his website, Mr Iggy Pop still seems to have no dance card for the weekend of the picnic.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,104 ✭✭✭Pickpocket

MJohnston wrote: »
    Best news about the Red Bull thing is they're bringing the same great stage they used at Dekmantel
    hope for a cool day, it was an utter sweatbox at Dekmantel last weekend, even with the roof half open!

Yeah, it was like a furnace on Friday afternoon. It was also very packed from the middle onward. It didn't look like there were any side doors in the top half (although I'm sure there'd have to be). Very uncomfortable at times.

• Advertisement

This is surely the worst year ever for international DJs. The line-up is very, very light on big names.

I'm happy to see a new stage, which will freshmen things up, and of course it's great to see so many Irish DJs getting a run. However it's quiet clear that over the past two years the festival has began to re-define its relationship with electronic music, particularly the harder strains of house and techno.

RBMA in 2013 and 2014 were very solid line-ups. The big hitters were worthy of almost any festival and typical of what Red Bull is known for across Europe. But they rolled back on that last year and now they're going for something completely different.

I also echo a previous poster's remarks in that both Casa Bacardi and the new Red Bull stage will have a very similar sound. In fact, that type of inoffensive, everyman house music is the electronic music of this new breed of Electric Picnic. As someone with a broad taste in DJs that's extremely worrying.

MJohnston wrote: »
    Think someone mentioned Scruff was doing 7pm-11pm, but maybe he's not on last?

I'd be dissapointed if it ended that early but the most important thing for Mr Scruff is how long he plays for, not when he plays or ends. A four-hour set sounds very nice indeed.

• Registered Users Posts: 467 ✭✭askU

Greg and Shane finishing off Friday night i'd expect it to be a sweat box wouldn't want it any other way!!

They're doing two nights this year i see on FB . . .

• Registered Users Posts: 2,531 ✭✭✭LowOdour

Had a look at Frightened Rabbit 's website and they are supporting NGHFB in Wales on the 2nd, would be amazing if they played the Saturday at EP too. (although they have had to cancel some gigs this week due to some issues with Scott).
    Frank Turner also free on the 2nd & 4th, and is doing a lot of touring lately ( he plays the Olympia in Nov also ). Would be a welcome addition

Oh, Weezer are playing in Minnesota USA, on both the 2nd & 3rd of Sept....leaving them free for the 4th. You heard it here first lads.......

• Registered Users Posts: 236 ✭✭freddiemoore

Just heard confirmation from the man himself on Today FM that legendary DJ Phil Cawley will be playing the Friday night. Lineup complete.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,193 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

He he, good auld Phil, hopefully Joe will make an appearance as well so we can all share our problems.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,393 ✭✭✭Fatfrog

• Registered Users Posts: 4,314 ✭✭✭BOHtox

Red Bull Announcement

Friday, 2nd Sept:
    Fish Go Deep, Colm K, Timmy Stewart, Discotekken, Galactic Beat Club, Ciara Brady, KC

Saturday, 3rd Sept:
    Mr. Scruff, Phil Boyle, Nialler9, Sim Simma, This Greedy Pig, James Hannan

Sunday, 4th Sept:
    New Jackson, Billy Scurry, Stevie G, Donal Dineen, Hubie Davison, Mr. Ray, Dave McCabe

New Jackson is absolutely lethal *ok finger emoji*
    showpony1 wrote: »
    an insider knowledge on who we are getting next fri?

Heard Radiohead and David Bowie

• Registered Users Posts: 8,653 ✭✭✭Seathrun66

Lloyd Cole & The Leopards touring Ireland from 22 to 31 August. Surely a slot for him at the fest?

Snarky Snark Snark

Seathrun66 wrote: »
    Lloyd Cole & The Leopards touring Ireland from 22 to 31 August. Surely a slot for him at the fest?

That would be rather tasty, Mr Cole live is a really good performer with a seriously under rated line in sahara level dry wit.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,218 ✭✭✭✭MadYaker

Maybe I was foolish to dismiss Years and Years

https://youtu.be/kC3m1t-aws8

• Registered Users Posts: 349 ✭✭Reggie noble

MadYaker wrote: »
    Maybe I was foolish to dismiss Years and Years

https://youtu.be/kC3m1t-aws8

Is he on the blue ghosties ? Pulling some mad cowie faces

• Registered Users Posts: 23 DH1978

Is he on the blue ghosties ? Pulling some mad cowie faces

Hey - like them or not you can't deny that he is a talented individual - clash dependant I think they're worth a look at.

• Registered Users Posts: 666 ✭✭✭Speckydodge

It's just a shame he won't play like that live. Nice version though. Definitely a talented lad

• Registered Users Posts: 349 ✭✭Reggie noble

DH1978 wrote: »
    Hey - like them or not you can't deny that he is a talented individual - clash dependant I think they're worth a look at.

I'm not slagging the music , just the over exaggerated faces he's pulling whilst singing it .
    There in my second category of acts I'll go see if something I prefer isn't on at same time

• Registered Users Posts: 2,726 ✭✭✭Arne_Saknussem

Different strokes and all that, but that confirms i'll be skipping Years & Years.

• Registered Users Posts: 602 ✭✭✭CSWS101

Thanks but no thanks to Years & Years for me, each to their own though.

• Registered Users Posts: 657 ✭✭✭sally cinnamon89

So what are peoples must see acts??

• Registered Users Posts: 8,653 ✭✭✭Seathrun66

LCD
    New Order
    Shins
    Daniel Avery
    Whitney
    Animal Collective
    Lana Del Ray
    Super Furry Animals
    Ezra Furman
    Phosphorescent
    Toots & The Maytals
    Wild Beasts
    Blossoms

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,531 ✭✭✭LowOdour

Assuming no clashes, id hope to see these (and many more after Fridays announcment!)
    LCD
    Ths Shins
    avett brothers
    Rusanango family
    Dr.Dog
    Lynched
    Paddy Denehey
    Adeniyi taylor
    Toots

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement