Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Electric Picnic 2016 // **Discussion Only / NO Ticket Sales / Requests** //

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 176 ✭✭Northernsoul

They would be interesting but judging from the recent reports I've heard about their festival sets I don't know really, will they still be a DJ set or will they actually bring the band.

Saw them at Primevera earlier this year & left after 1/4 of their set. Sound was pretty dodge though

• Registered Users Posts: 8,653 ✭✭✭Seathrun66

They would be interesting but judging from the recent reports I've heard about their festival sets I don't know really, will they still be a DJ set or will they actually bring the band.

Saw them at Primevera earlier this year & left after 1/4 of their set. Sound was pretty dodge though
    I heard really bad reports from Primavera. Caught them the week after at Field Day. Sound was fine. They weren't. They were only DJ-ing, but from the abysmal mixing it may have been their stoned cousins. Could be different at EP. Here's hoping.

• Registered Users Posts: 390 ✭✭Paddy2012

Seathrun66 wrote: »

I heard really bad reports from Primavera. Caught them the week after at Field Day. Sound was fine. They weren't. They were only DJ-ing, but from the abysmal mixing it may have been their stoned cousins. Could be different at EP. Here's hoping.

Have they ever played with a live band before? All their gigs seem to be DJ sets.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,586 ✭✭✭✭bodhrandude

That was it. And it was far less busy than the other bars nearby, no queues but still sold Tiger & other beers so saved some time when running between acts. Also handy for taking a break as a few seats there. Another good bar bites the dust. Anyone remember the western style saloon bar they had in the early years, up where Electric Ireland is now? Used to have sawdust, swing doors and live country bands. I miss that.

Yeah I remember that place, it reminds me of one of these bars you would see in Bundoran, the one at the Picnic I remember was a magnet for the drug squad, I remember a bunch of Tipperary hurling supporters coming out of it smashed drunk and triumphant when they won the All Ireland in 2010. Twas a great place actually to watch the sports finals if you were inclined.

If you want to get into it, you got to get out of it. (Hawkwind 1982)

• Registered Users Posts: 390 ✭✭Paddy2012

Paddy2012 wrote: »

Have they ever played with a live band before? All their gigs seem to be DJ sets.

Sorry, I just read that their last gig two gigs in Australia were as a band. If they do play it looks promising.

• Advertisement

Paddy2012 wrote: »

Field Day was them DJ-ing their own stuff. As were all the European shows as far as I'm aware.
    However live videos from Splendour in the Grass fest in Oz in late July show them with a live band. We may get lucky in Sept.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,539 ✭✭✭ghostdancer

This is Pop Baby was the drag queen tent, with an enormous blown up baby doll on the ceiling.

The topless tent was the Burlesque tent run by Lost Vagueness, the guys who originally came from Glastonbury.

Pussy Parlour was the wooden-floored bar with DJs, had steps down to the floor, was circular with seats all around the edge of the dancefloor.

The Saloon Bar was a sawdust-floored western themed bar with hokey country acts playing all day on a little stage.

All of the above now sadly missed and replaced with uninteresting corporate sh**e.

did the Pussy Parlour then become the Spiegeltent for a few years around 2010-2012ish?
    I remember that was circular, had wooden floors and railings, and seats around the edges too.
    they served a few different types of beers in there too, Paulaner being one I think.

This is Pop Baby was the drag queen tent, with an enormous blown up baby doll on the ceiling.

The topless tent was the Burlesque tent run by Lost Vagueness, the guys who originally came from Glastonbury.

Pussy Parlour was the wooden-floored bar with DJs, had steps down to the floor, was circular with seats all around the edge of the dancefloor.

The Saloon Bar was a sawdust-floored western themed bar with hokey country acts playing all day on a little stage.

All of the above now sadly missed and replaced with uninteresting corporate sh**e.

did the Pussy Parlour then become the Spiegeltent for a few years around 2010-2012ish?
    I remember that was circular, had wooden floors and railings, and seats around the edges too.
    they served a few different types of beers in there too, Paulaner being one I think.
    Yes, that's it.

Anyone going to the Fleadh this weekend in Ennis, probably one of the best town festivals for trad anyway in the summer calendar, 250,000 trad loonies. I'm gonna skoot down there for a few days, sup a few Guinness and become a human metronome. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 10,654 ✭✭✭✭MJohnston

I think it just always was *a* Spiegeltent, which is a particular type of tent

• Advertisement

MJohnston wrote: »

I think it just always was *a* Spiegeltent, which is a particular type of tent
    They just changed the name on the outside. Never saw anything interesting there, in either of its guises. Still, a good place to sit down at 3am. And we can never have enough of those.

• Registered Users Posts: 6 Jjppkk

Hi.
    Can any of you vastly knowledgeable people tell me if I'm going to be ok to get in the the general campsite , with a family ticket going on my own ?
    Thanks in advance :-)
    J

Jjppkk wrote: »
    Hi.
    Can any of you vastly knowledgeable people tell me if I'm going to be ok to get in the the general campsite , with a family ticket going on my own ?
    No problems getting into the general campsite, but not the Family campsite without your own kids.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,726 ✭✭✭Arne_Saknussem

Hi.
    J

You should have no problem, the ticket will get you access to the main site which contains all the campsites including the Family one.

• Registered Users Posts: 6 Jjppkk

That's great, thanks for the help.
    Is there any down side to going with a family ticket then?

Nope, it's like a normal ticket but also grants you entry to the Family Campsite which has limited space.

That's great, thanks for the help.
    Is there any down side to going with a family ticket then?
    None I can think of. Unless you had a family and they've taken off.

• Registered Users Posts: 119 ✭✭rocks1981

None I can think of. Unless you had a family and they've taken off.

"Those wishing to stay in the Family Campsite must be accompanied by children 12 years or younger. No single or groups of adults without children will be admitted entry. The Family campsites are restricted in space and therefore must be reserved solely for families with children. "

So maybe the only downer is the knowledge that some family could have gone. And that you won't be allowed in to the family suite unless you find some kids

• Registered Users Posts: 5,113 ✭✭✭scruff monkey
    Snarky Snark Snark

You could well make some one really happy if you swap your family ticket for a normal one, they are one of the first ones to sell out every year.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,563 ✭✭✭connundrum

I thought that I clearly remember stumbling into this place last year, maybe Saturday night at approx 2am?! I really think I was in a place like this, or in fact, in this place.

That said, I had wandered off from the Rave in the Woods and was a bit disoriented. And emotional.

• Advertisement

connundrum wrote: »

I thought that I clearly remember stumbling into this place last year, maybe Saturday night at approx 2am?! I really think I was in a place like this, or in fact, in this place.

That said, I had wandered off from the Rave in the Woods and was a bit disoriented. And emotional.
    .....and back in 2006. Give my regards to your dealer.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,113 ✭✭✭scruff monkey
    Snarky Snark Snark

More from DBFC

I've never heard of these before, me really likey!

I remember another weird stage at EP I think about 2007, 2008, I remember a set in particular, Jah Wobble's Chinese Dub set, does that ring any bells, I think it was like a massive tepee or something like that.

I remember another weird stage at EP I think about 2007, 2008, I remember a set in particular, Jah Wobble's Chinese Dub set, does that ring any bells, I think it was like a massive tepee or something like that.
    Maybe you've got the same dealer as Connundrum?

But mad as that sounds I reckon you're right. I've got some recollection of it. I reckon it was in the Burlesque tent or the one next door. I didn't see it, but I have some memory of it.

Edit: I checked today and there's a brief (and crackly) video of that on YouTube, but I can't work out the stage. And you're right, it was 2008.

I've never heard of these before, me really likey!

Yeah they're playing Body & Soul main stage, hopefully around 1am or something.

I'd never heard of them until another poster posted this from them a few pages back:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,539 ✭✭✭ghostdancer

for more stage/tent memories, here's some arena maps for

2007:
    http://www.achgohairithe.com/downloads/TOM1.jpg

2009:
    https://tenacioustimothy.files.wordpress.com/2009/08/ep2009arenasite.jpg

2010:
    https://tenacioustimothy.files.wordpress.com/2010/08/ep-arena-2010.jpg

I'd love to get a 2005 map. Am I right in thinking that Body&Soul was outside the main arena? I've a definite memory of walking around there with a few cans during the day, which was well before I was wise to can-smuggling ways!

for more stage/tent memories, here's some arena maps for

2007:
    http://www.achgohairithe.com/downloads/TOM1.jpg

2009:
    https://tenacioustimothy.files.wordpress.com/2009/08/ep2009arenasite.jpg

2010:
    https://tenacioustimothy.files.wordpress.com/2010/08/ep-arena-2010.jpg

I'd love to get a 2005 map. Am I right in thinking that Body&Soul was outside the main arena? I've a definite memory of walking around there with a few cans during the day, which was well before I was wise to can-smuggling ways!

Yeah, the entrance to the festival was over by the paintball area and the whole space surrouding B&S from where the Cosby tent is now to where the Ferris wheel etc are was camping space. Camping space also down in to what Hendrix is now.

Oscar Wilde was empty, you had to walk through it to get to the car parks. From what i remember the Electric Arena was down behind the main stage, roughly where the Comedy tent is usually situated.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,654 ✭✭✭✭MJohnston

There's something similar in the Trailer Park I think

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,573 ✭✭✭Thundercats Ho

MJohnston wrote: »
    There's something similar in the Trailer Park I think

Jimmys Juke Joint, but i think they're thinking about the craft beer place that was near the side entrance to body & soul. It was made up to look like a old style bar.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement