Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Electric Picnic 2016 // **Discussion Only / NO Ticket Sales / Requests** //

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 785 ✭✭✭team_actimel

Sorry to be a dick, but EP are not responsible for the unreasonable expectations of boards.ie posters.

By the standards of two-weeks-before-EP-announcements, this is a good one.

If people convinced themselves that Avalanches, Radiohead and David Bowie were going to be added today, they were deluding themselves.

It wasn't unreasonable to expect Radiohead, perhaps slightly unreasonable to expect Bowie to make an appearance.
    We should be allowed to have our expectations of having higher calibre acts announced, after all this is the biggest and very high profile music festival in Ireland.

Nevertheless, I'm sure we'll all have a brilliant weekend at EP.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,009 ✭✭✭Wooderson

Sorry to be a dick, but EP are not responsible for the unreasonable expectations of boards.ie posters.

If people convinced themselves that Avalanches, Radiohead and David Bowie were going to be added today, they were deluding themselves.

Oh fark David Bowie's not playing??? FFS. Had my heart set on seeing him.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,392 ✭✭✭Fatfrog

To be fair to the organisers, historically they've never had 'mega huge' headliners, (blur + 1-2 others being the exception)
    So this year is following form really.

In saying that LCD, new order, the chems, NGHFB are still fairly mega and on my to see list (like LCD given their schedule was a really good booking to land, I can't imagine the planning and negotiation that went into that)

Still slightly worried about the sub billing and tent headliners & subheadliners, I think some acts will look out of place to most, maybe out of their depth?? But hey it'll be interesting when we see the timetableset :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,501 ✭✭✭PabloAndRoy

I don't think mediocrity was an unreasonable expectation.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,112 ✭✭✭scruff monkey
    Snarky Snark Snark

Expected mediocrity... Expectations were exceeded.

Al4UxPB.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 390 ✭✭Paddy2012

Who do you think the electric arena headliners are? I'd say SFA, Bat For Lashes, maybe The 1975 too?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,783 ✭✭✭heebusjeebus

Paddy2012 wrote: »
    Who do you think the electric arena headliners are? I'd say SFA, Bat For Lashes, maybe The 1975 too?

Bat for Lashes played EA a few years ago. She may get a promotion to the big stage this year.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 785 ✭✭✭team_actimel

I reckon The 1975 would have to be main stage. They have a huge following.

• Registered Users Posts: 91 ✭✭Space Shanty

Going through that B&S playlist on Spotify, there is a host of stuff I'd like to see.
    Whatever about people's complaints about the main arena, this place will have some class acts all weekend, plenty of them Irish too.
    Just a matter of getting myself in there at a decent hour every day to see some of these gems

• Registered Users Posts: 109 ✭✭Art Fonzarelli

Well for some :P

When are the stage times usually released?

They stagger their release for maximum, sustained-reaching-crescendo, disappointment. They're releasing the times for stage time releases next Thursday on 3e.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 390 ✭✭Paddy2012

I reckon The 1975 would have to be main stage. They have a huge following.

What about Nas? He'll be great to see in the electric areana but maybe he's too big as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 21 patrickb

I know they said no more will go on sale. But every other year a few days before a few go back on sale. Hopefully this is the case again this year, cause I kinda wanna go now

• Registered Users Posts: 2,726 ✭✭✭Arne_Saknussem

patrickb wrote: »
    I know they said no more will go on sale. But every other year a few days before a few go back on sale. Hopefully this is the case again this year, cause I kinda wanna go now

Because of todays announcement or just getting generally itchier the closer the festival gets?

• Registered Users Posts: 569 ✭✭✭Blackie_IRL

Question in relation to parking. I come in from Limerick direction and usually park in red cark park and get wrist band at main entrance. I stay in podpads. I missed last year and podpads has moved to pink moon. I believe you can get wrist band at paintball entrance and park in green car park. Is there any way to access green car park without driving through stradbally. For example can I access red car park and make my way from red over to green to park. Or if I park in red is it far of a walk along the Abbeyleix road to paintball entrance.

Because of todays announcement or just getting generally itchier the closer the festival gets?
    Just in general. There was nothing really on todays announcement of interest except Bell x1.

But ive been 9 times and no matter how harder on the body it gets I still feel like im missing out

Even worse I was offered an early bird last week which is sold now!

The only ones Ive missed actually was 2004 and 2011/12. Im kinda raging actually cause the 11/12 years sounded like it was half empty and much more laid back than it is now.

No green man costumes going to hi-5 you then pulling away at the last second

• Registered Users Posts: 2,573 ✭✭✭Thundercats Ho

The only ones Ive missed actually was 2004 and 2011/12. Im kinda raging actually cause the 11/12 years sounded like it was half empty and much more laid back than it is now.

No green man costumes going to hi-5 you then pulling away at the last second
    There was 22.5k in 2012, which is 40% of what this year will be.
    It did look quite sparse looking across the site at times.
    Question in relation to parking. I come in from Limerick direction and usually park in red cark park and get wrist band at main entrance. I stay in podpads. I missed last year and podpads has moved to pink moon. I believe you can get wrist band at paintball entrance and park in green car park. Is there any way to access green car park without driving through stradbally. For example can I access red car park and make my way from red over to green to park. Or if I park in red is it far of a walk along the Abbeyleix road to paintball entrance.

I'll be staying there too, parking in the green car park, and entering through the paintball. That car park is on the corner of the main stradbally road, and the Abbeyleix road (the first car park after you turn off the main road).
    As far as i know, all the car parks are on the same road, which is the Abbeyleix road, on the Portlaoise side of the town.
    There is a family camping car park on the other side of town, on the Timahoe road, out near the GAA pitch, but that's it i think.

It'd be handy to know for sure where the car parks are located and which route to go.
    Could someone put up a plan that shows the location of the car parks please.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,098 ✭✭✭Poorside

I travel up from Limerick as well and stay in Pink moon, made the mistake of parking in the main (red) carpark 2 years ago, don't do it, if you follow the signs for EP from the Limerick side it's where you'll be directed to, go through stradbally and into the paintball entrance it's about a quarter of the trek.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,585 ✭✭✭✭bodhrandude

Well I thought that announcement today wasn't too bad and feck off people expecting Radiohead 2 weeks before the fest. Thats Skepta, Adam Beyer, ABC (Should be good craic), KKC, Daithi, Saint Sister among the choices I've already mentioned from previous announcements. If people feel the line up is weak why don't they start their own festivals and get booking.

If you want to get into it, you got to get out of it. (Hawkwind 1982)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,652 ✭✭✭Seathrun66

Well that announcement was a bit meh, not all bad acts, but i guess its what you expect from the organisers at this stage. As was mentioned , there was no chance of any other main headliner acts to be added. And yes i think they did **** up, by not grabbing a certain act beginning with "R" when their tour schedule was open at this time, it'll be interesting to see the approach next year from the organisers.
    A lost opportunity I reckon. They were available at a price when the band was playing European & US festivals that are smaller than EP. Taking Radiohead to Stradbally would have helped ticket sales for next year and beyond so biting the bullet & paying the fee would have turned a good lineup into a great one.

Alas I don't think we'll ever get them now. I can see them doing their own tour next year and a return to Glastonbury as their only festival (though possibly Coachella also). And I also wouldn't be surprised to see them (after REM) calling it a day in the next couple of years. I'd prefer to be wrong but their side careers are expanding and quitting at the top has to hold some attraction. But please let me be mistaken and let's see them in Stradbally in Sept 2017.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,218 ✭✭✭✭MadYaker

Barring the apocalypse I'll be at Glastonbury again next year so I'll hopefully catch radiohead there. You'd think if they do a full tour next year they'll come to Ireland considering they didn't play here on the last tour.

I dunno why people fuss so much about which car park to park in, the site isn't that big and if you pack well even a long walk is manageable. I think I generally end up in one of the green car parks and the walk to jimi Hendrix is always fine.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,652 ✭✭✭Seathrun66

MadYaker wrote: »
    Barring the apocalypse I'll be at Glastonbury again next year so I'll hopefully catch radiohead there. You'd think if they do a full tour next year they'll come to Ireland considering they didn't play here on the last tour.
    Hopefully. The Malahide gigs are now eight years ago.

And the big rumours for Glasto 2017 are Radiohead & Ed Sheeran (ouch) as headliners, Diana Ross for the Sunday afternoon slot. Also beware the return of the Foo Fighters.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,585 ✭✭✭✭bodhrandude

Might as well post this.

If you want to get into it, you got to get out of it. (Hawkwind 1982)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,726 ✭✭✭Arne_Saknussem

Not sure if it's been posted but Ezra Furman is playing the Sunday, he's at End of the Road Saturday.

Looking like there might be a lot of clashes on the Sunday.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,539 ✭✭✭ghostdancer

Nas, SFA and someone else I reckon.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,901 ✭✭✭Mince Pie

Holy crappy ****balls. Mik Artistik is doing EP. You can't get away from him at Glasto but love him. Deadly.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,901 ✭✭✭Mince Pie

So I had the same feeling as others with an underwhelming announcement today. Not sure why it was hyped and dragged out with nothing major of interest like Avalanches etc. Even had a moment of thinking might just sell me ticket and go for a weekend in some much needed sun but revisited the line up to just rekindle the love.

So these below are must sees and must nots and some in between. I love mooching in the Trailer Park and Salty Dog and would hate to have a laden list of absolute must sees. Its looking good and forgot to mention Bananarama. Whoop. Be grand.

LCD Soundsystem
    Chemical Brothers
    Joey Bada$$
    Nas
    Bat for Lashes
    Animal Collective
    Savages
    Toots and the Maytals
    Daniel Avery
    **** Robot
    Booka Brass Band
    Mik Artistik

Anything at B&S cos playlist is awesome.

Will be playing spoons in the woods for The (fecking) 1975 and Years & Years

And lots of mooching and discoveries.

Is there going to be another attempt at a Boardsie meet up???

May have been posted already but I see King Kong company are playing Cosby 11pm Saturday night.

https://twitter.com/KingKongComp/status/766666985375731713

• Registered Users Posts: 349 ✭✭Reggie noble

I'd rather me some little green cars over walking on cars

• Advertisement

Mince Pie wrote: »
    So I had the same feeling as others with an underwhelming announcement today. Not sure why it was hyped and dragged out with nothing major of interest like Avalanches etc. Even had a moment of thinking might just sell me ticket and go for a weekend in some much needed sun but revisited the line up to just rekindle the love.

So these below are must sees and must nots and some in between. I love mooching in the Trailer Park and Salty Dog and would hate to have a laden list of absolute must sees. Its looking good and forgot to mention Bananarama. Whoop. Be grand.

LCD Soundsystem
    Chemical Brothers
    Joey Bada$$
    Nas
    Bat for Lashes
    Animal Collective
    Savages
    Toots and the Maytals
    Daniel Avery
    **** Robot
    Booka Brass Band
    Mik Artistik

Anything at B&S cos playlist is awesome.

Will be playing spoons in the woods for The (fecking) 1975 and Years & Years

And lots of mooching and discoveries.

Is there going to be another attempt at a Boardsie meet up???

I'd love to go for the meet up, but at a wedding Friday. Will be ditching as soon as possible to try and catch the Chems Friday night.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement