Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Electric Picnic 2016 // **Discussion Only / NO Ticket Sales / Requests** //

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,539 ✭✭✭ghostdancer

i'd say if they're doing 1 in the UK, headlining Bestival would be the most likely, which is the week after EP so they'd definitely be in with a good chance.

• Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭MusicLover8498

Me personally I'd love to see Kendrick Lamar play one of the smaller stages but I know he's either too big for the picnic or not really the right style, could see him at maybe Longitude but also I feel Jamie XX could be a shout and a half, thought he might have played this year with his new album but I've noticed he's signed on to Bennecassim and a lot of other festivals too. Fleetwood Mac have been rumoured (no pun intended) for Glastonbury this year, would be unreal to see them at EP. Other than that though after seeing Villagers and Django Django this year I'd love to see them play again, I'd happily go to them more than once.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,988 ✭✭✭leakyboots

Would absolutely love if Despacio was back at EP again in the future but have a feeling it was a one off thing, it was the highlight of the weekend for me on the Saturday night but it seems to rare to become a permanent fixture at Electric Picnic. They only play a handful of shows a year.

Have they any gigs in the pipeline this year in Europe?

• Registered Users Posts: 657 ✭✭✭sally cinnamon89

Id love to see some like The Strokes or the Libertines play some sort of big band like that. Or Pulp I can dream can't I

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,536 ✭✭✭former total

Id love to see some like The Strokes or the Libertines play some sort of big band like that. Or Pulp I can dream can't I

The Strokes are semi-broken up I think? Pulp played EP 2011 and were pretty good.

I'd say the Libertines are prime EP material, good indie heritage, definitely not too big for it (struggled to fill the Point during the summer), that would do nicely.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,021 ✭✭✭lbj666

So Guns and LCD Soundsystem are confirmed for coachella.

LCD ... have 2016 Tour dates coming soon on their page, but nothing about how many gigs that means i can't imagine its going to be that many.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,098 ✭✭✭scruff monkey
    Snarky Snark Snark

lbj666 wrote: »

G'n'r, now there's a sh1tefest waiting to happen or at least not happen until 3 1/2 hours after it's supposed to happen :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,746 ✭✭✭BullBlackNova

LCD ... have 2016 Tour dates coming soon on their page, but nothing about how many gigs that means i can't imagine its going to be that many.

A Rolling Stone article last week said they were reforming for 3 shows in the UK and US. I would imagine it will be a few more than that, but I'm basing it on nothing at all really...

Coachella line-up is a bit meh or is that just me? LCD Soundsystem is a great headliner but I could only pick out about 10 bands over the rest of the festival I'd want to see. Guess it's just not to my taste!

Last Shadow Puppets, M83, Courtney Barnett, Sufjan Stevens, Foals, Grimes, Run the Jewels...

I would say all bar Sufjan is a possibility for Picnic?

If I was a betting man, I would say Foals as one of three headliners. Probably the smallest of the three.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,967 ✭✭✭Synode

Despachio doing the full weekend at Coachella too. Damn I really hope they come back. Would love M83 too

We must be due some announcements soon

A Rolling Stone article last week said they were reforming for 3 shows in the UK and US. I would imagine it will be a few more than that, but I'm basing it on nothing at all really...

Coachella line-up is a bit meh or is that just me? LCD Soundsystem is a great headliner but I could only pick out about 10 bands over the rest of the festival I'd want to see. Guess it's just not to my taste!

Last Shadow Puppets, M83, Courtney Barnett, Sufjan Stevens, Foals, Grimes, Run the Jewels...

I would say all bar Sufjan is a possibility for Picnic?

If I was a betting man, I would say Foals as one of three headliners. Probably the smallest of the three.

Foals are pretty heavily tipped to be one of the Reading/Leeds headliners, possibly co-headliners. EP is the week after so I'd say they're in with a good shout. it'll either be Longitude or EP for them anyway as they've stuck with MCD for all their recent gigs and their upcoming 3Arena one is with them too, so i'd expect a festival appearance announced afterwards, just as they've done a few times in the past.

Grimes is playing Glastonbury, so I'd guess that she's playing Body & Soul festival the previous week.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,217 ✭✭✭✭MadYaker

EP can't afford Guns N Roses. Would love LCD Soundsystem though!

MadYaker wrote: »
    EP can't afford Guns N Roses. Would love LCD Soundsystem though!

Their rumoured fee (€8m) costs close to the same as it costs to hold EP.

80,000 at slane at €100 a ticket wouldn't even pay for it.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 14,946 Mod ✭✭✭✭Furious-Red

Might be a wild guess but would Chili Peppers be a headliner? I know they wont come cheap but if Foals are also headlining then id say they will be relatively cheap.

Might be a wild guess but would Chili Peppers be a headliner? I know they wont come cheap but if Foals are also headlining then id say they will be relatively cheap.

Was only saying this to a friend today after having a look at the Reading and Leeds lineup, it'd be marvellous, could be a long shot though. That being said after looking at Reading and Leeds I think The 1975 could probably pop up. EP Twitter page says first announcement will come early Spring.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,662 ✭✭✭✭everlast75

Was only saying this to a friend today after having a look at the Reading and Leeds lineup, it'd be marvellous, could be a long shot though. That being said after looking at Reading and Leeds I think The 1975 could probably pop up. EP Twitter page says first announcement will come early Spring.

I personally can't stand that band. I don't understand why they are getting a free pass on TXFM as they are certainly not an alternative type band :confused:

everlast75 wrote: »
    I personally can't stand that band. I don't understand why they are getting a free pass on TXFM as they are certainly not an alternative type band :confused:

I'm not fond of them myself, think they're overhyped pop but could see them at the picnic

• Registered Users Posts: 4,314 ✭✭✭BOHtox

The 1975 are the most bland and meh band ever. Even more so than Kodaline, and that's saying something. But signing them is pandering to a certain type of fan. Neither at picnic please for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,385 ✭✭✭Fatfrog

BOHtox wrote: »
    The 1975 are the most bland and meh band ever. Even more so than Kodaline, and that's saying something. But signing them is pandering to a certain type of fan. Neither at picnic please for me.

Yea don't have much love for the 1975's myself!! I think they've already played the EP x3 times!!
    Surprisingly they're heavy enough live not as pop cheesy as "Chocolate" but still bland as ****.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,746 ✭✭✭BullBlackNova

James Murphy has written a blog post about the reunion and said they are "playing all over" and will be releasing an album soon too.

That just shows Rolling Stone didn't have any insight, just reprinting rumours they saw elsewhere.

But that's me guessing LCD as Picnic headliner. Would put any money on it!

LCD Soundsystem, Foals and a more legacy type act - Fleetwood Mac?

Undercard (and additional 4th/5th 'headline' types) to include some of Disclosure, the 1975 and Major Lazer I'd say.

Sounds plausible to me? Maybe they'd have someone with a little more pop appeal but it'll be hard to guess until we see a few more festivals unveil their line-ups and we see who else is touring.

• Registered Users Posts: 31 FrewBrews

I can see Flume off of that Coachella line up playing EP again this year. His set in '14 was incredible. I'd also love to see Run The Jewels announced. More hip hop/rap in general would be great.

• Advertisement

James Murphy has written a blog post about the reunion and said they are "playing all over" and will be releasing an album soon too.

That just shows Rolling Stone didn't have any insight, just reprinting rumours they saw elsewhere.

But that's me guessing LCD as Picnic headliner. Would put any money on it!

LCD Soundsystem, Foals and a more legacy type act - Fleetwood Mac?

Undercard (and additional 4th/5th 'headline' types) to include some of Disclosure, the 1975 and Major Lazer I'd say.

Sounds plausible to me? Maybe they'd have someone with a little more pop appeal but it'll be hard to guess until we see a few more festivals unveil their line-ups and we see who else is touring.

Fleetwood cost big money even before McVie came back. Isle of Wight gave them an offer they could't refuse last year and they snubbed Glastonbury as a result.

That blog post is possibly the most James Murphy thing ever written. Its kinda too soon for Foals to be back.

Snarky Snark Snark

FrewBrews wrote: »
    I can see Flume off of that Coachella line up playing EP again this year. His set in '14 was incredible. I'd also love to see Run The Jewels announced. More hip hop/rap in general would be great.

He's got a new album coming out and he clashed for me in 2014 so would be happy out for him to be back again

Snarky Snark Snark

Fleetwood cost big money even before McVie came back. Isle of Wight gave them an offer they could't refuse last year and they snubbed Glastonbury as a result.

It's got to be in the ballpark of a million a pop for them to pull up and perform.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,519 ✭✭✭Mike Guide 69

I dont have tickets for the festival, however i could be persuaded to get a ticket if some of the following acts were headlining.

With the whole revival of the "shoegaze" scene, Ride played last year and were phenomenal , wouldnt mind seeing them again. Lush have reformed and are touring 2016 and could be perfect for the festival .Slowdive have reformed in the last 2 years and also could be ideal too

Fun Lovin Criminals are reforming and touring as well, 20 years since their debut "Come Find Yourself" and their albums are been remastered too , so they are doing the inevitable touring schedule, they're brilliant live

Kula Shaker also have a new album out this year and a tour is taking place.

Wouldnt mind seeing any of those acts mentioned above playing, i think they would be great additions to the festival

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 14,946 Mod ✭✭✭✭Furious-Red

FrewBrews wrote: »
    He's got a new album coming out and he clashed for me in 2014 so would be happy out for him to be back again

His set was one of the best of the weekend in 2014 and would love to see him again and even through in Kygo as well since he doesnt have an irish date on his tour in April.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,809 ✭✭✭✭Dtp1979

Their rumoured fee (€8m) costs close to the same as it costs to hold EP.

80,000 at slane at €100 a ticket wouldn't even pay for it.

Why would they pay crazy money for one band when get sell out irregardless?

Snarky Snark Snark

Kula Shaker also have a new album out this year and a tour is taking place.

Dear god no, just no.

Dtp1979 wrote: »
    Why would they pay crazy money for one band when get sell out irregardless?

Where did i say that, i was alluding to the total opposite. Most picnic ever forked out was around €0.5m and almost put the festival to its knees.

i doubt that's the most they forked out, it's the only headliner fee we actually know of. I'd say Outkast, Blur and a few others have cost at least that much.
    and paying 500k to The Killers didn't almost put the festival to its knees, it was already 2m+ in the red at that point thanks to John Reynolds/POD.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,519 ✭✭✭Mike Guide 69

Dear god no, just no.

Yeah scratch that, dont know what I was thinking there :D

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement