Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Electric Picnic 2016 // **Discussion Only / NO Ticket Sales / Requests** //

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,389 ✭✭✭Fatfrog

What will the traffic be like entering the site Friday evening? Earliest I can do is 6-7'ish. I presume most will be in already and it will be a straight in drive??

• Registered Users Posts: 21 patrickb

Anyone fancy reassuring us that its too early to predict a washout?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,389 ✭✭✭Fatfrog

nocoverart wrote: »
    Fatfrog wrote: »
    The EP has become very popular to people who aren't even going or have gone, they love talking ****e about it dropping it in conversation, it's almost like a popular Kardashian like brand it does my head in. If you listen to radio or TV adds for the likes of electric Ireland or Three, they almost spend more time on the EP that their own brand.
    The tabloids really putting up utter ****e, click bait, anything to do with EP they'll run with it, regardless of accuracy!! it sells, worryingly we still buy it.

Jeez that was a bit of a rant, I'll lighten up by Friday, promise!!

Well, EP has gone out of its way to be a mainstream Festival these days, so "You Reap What You Sow" I guess.

Yea it's when ppl like my mam start telling me about the EP, I feel like a teenager again, my inner thoughts are saying "shut the f**k up mam you wouldn't understand"

• Registered Users Posts: 748 ✭✭✭declanleo

These Charming Men doing The Queen is Dead on Friday evening in the Salty Dog will be a good way to start the weekend en-route to the main arena :)

That will be wedged but hopefully a great way to kick it off

• Registered Users Posts: 6,539 ✭✭✭ghostdancer

Synode wrote: »
    Have they released a timetable for the new rave in the woods? Don't remember seeing it
    it's on the official app, along with times for all the other stuff like Electric Ireland tent, Heineken Sound Atlas, etc.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭DanielSwords

Apologies as something similar has definitely been asked before. Big group of us heading down (25ish). What time would you reckon we'd wanna be getting down to get the room for our tents(6 and a gazeebo)? We were just going to head down for 9am but not sure if that might be a bit OTT and would love to head a bit later.

• Registered Users Posts: 563 ✭✭✭Blackie_IRL

Anyone got any updated weather models?

From what I can gather, Friday looks overcast with the chance of a light shower or two early in the day. Saturday looks grim for a few hours in the afternoon, early evening. Sunday isn't clear, some reporting clear day, others saying there's a chance of a few showers. Not the worst forecast but a little disappointing all the same, hopefully the ground stands up to it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,724 ✭✭✭Arne_Saknussem

Anyone got any updated weather models?

From what I can gather, Friday looks overcast with the chance of a light shower or two early in the day. Saturday looks grim for a few hours in the afternoon, early evening. Sunday isn't clear, some reporting clear day, others saying there's a chance of a few showers. Not the worst forecast but a little disappointing all the same, hopefully the ground stands up to it.

It's looking like there's a chance of more heavy rain for Sunday evening.

• Registered Users Posts: 383 ✭✭BUBBLES1978

Apologies as something similar has definitely been asked before. Big group of us heading down (25ish). What time would you reckon we'd wanna be getting down to get the room for our tents(6 and a gazeebo)? We were just going to head down for 9am but not sure if that might be a bit OTT and would love to head a bit later.

get down as early as you can, you will find there is a huge queue at this time too, i always am in a big group too and am always over there by at least 9.30..

im only out the road so its only ten mins travel for me the back road :D:D:D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 10,654 ✭✭✭✭MJohnston

Saturday is going to be wet and with a heavy breeze - I think the best we can hope for now is that the rainfall is not quite as heavy as predicted, or that it shifts earlier in the day somewhat, so that it's happening in the morning. It's currently likely to peak around lunchtime, but the rest of Saturday is looking pretty dry thankfully, and there shouldn't be too much rain until late Sunday. Friday should be pretty good though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 942 ✭✭✭grudgehugger

Don't think I'll make Booka Brass Band at 4.
    The Queen is Dead on Friday evening in the Salty Dog will be a good way to start the weekend

You guys are reading my mind!

Think it'll be too hard to tear away myself away from settling in and catching up with mates over a few cans to make Booka but the time slot for These Charming Men looks good.

• Registered Users Posts: 563 ✭✭✭Blackie_IRL

If the rain was confined to a few hours Saturday afternoon I wouldn't really mind. The arena never fills up that early meaning there would be plenty of room in the EA, Rankin, LBT to shelter and catch bands. I just don't want late evening, night downpours as that's prime time. And please don't let the ground cut up too badly.

• Registered Users Posts: 285 ✭✭Jambonjunior

Is there a map with the gates anywhere?

Bit of a disaster, our bus down has had to cancel so we're all left to fend for ourselves. I've been looking at google/published maps/old threads but can't find any answers.

I'm getting a lift with someone that have a general ticket and but I've a performer ticket, and have to collect it beside the GAA club on the Timahoe Road and go through Gate 7 (Not sure where that is!) and I'm staying in the Pink Moon.

I'm guessing that Gate 7 is one of the entrances on the Timahoe Road? And I'll have to walk across the sire to the Pink Moon area?

I'm just very apprehensive about knowing my route as last year my friends band landed at the wrong entrance and almost missed their slot.

• Registered Users Posts: 17 ianeglington

My clashfinder selections have been messed up since I logged in and made them yesterday... anyone any idea why that happened? Could be a noob question, but ive been using it the past two years for most festivals I got, never happened before.......

If the rain was confined to a few hours Saturday afternoon I wouldn't really mind. The arena never fills up that early meaning there would be plenty of room in the EA, Rankin, LBT to shelter and catch bands. I just don't want late evening, night downpours as that's prime time. And please don't let the ground cut up too badly.

Well Friday and Saturday evenings should both be pretty dry (I won't rule out some sprinkles, but no showers or downpours at the minute), Sunday is marginal - it might make it till midnight or so before there's a downpour, but this far out, tiny changes will shift those rain clouds by miles, and by hours.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,293 ✭✭✭billybonkers

Bit of a disaster, our bus down has had to cancel so we're all left to fend for ourselves. I've been looking at google/published maps/old threads but can't find any answers.

I'm getting a lift with someone that have a general ticket and but I've a performer ticket, and have to collect it beside the GAA club on the Timahoe Road and go through Gate 7 (Not sure where that is!) and I'm staying in the Pink Moon.

I'm guessing that Gate 7 is one of the entrances on the Timahoe Road? And I'll have to walk across the sire to the Pink Moon area?

I'm just very apprehensive about knowing my route as last year my friends band landed at the wrong entrance and almost missed their slot.

http://www.electricpicnic.ie/information - Map and all travel info here guys.

Best time to go in big groups if you want a space all together is as early as possible, I am aiming to be there for 830am and have a group of 12

• Registered Users Posts: 4,158 ✭✭✭rameire

https://www.google.ie/maps/place/16+Oakglen,+Carricksallagh,+Stradbally,+Co.+Laois/@53.0100842,-7.1470687,296m/data=!3m2!1e3!4b1!4m5!3m4!1s0x485d728740921323:0x6e9d09608737b11b!8m2!3d53.0110597!4d-7.1474286

map link for GAA entrance

🌞 3.8kwp, 🌞 Split 2.28S, 1.52E. 🌞 Clonee, Dub.🌞

• Registered Users Posts: 195 ✭✭thevinylword

Did a mix again this year for anyone looking for some pre-Picnic listening, feel free to share around if you're into it :)

https://www.mixcloud.com/WobbieCostelloe/episode-31-packin-for-a-picnic-2016/

• Registered Users Posts: 285 ✭✭Jambonjunior

http://www.electricpicnic.ie/information - Map and all travel info here guys.

Best time to go in big groups if you want a space all together is as early as possible, I am aiming to be there for 830am and have a group of 12

:confused: Not the gate info though, unless I'm missing it there?
    rameire wrote: »

Gate 7 is beside the Gaa club?

• Registered Users Posts: 15,944 ✭✭✭✭Villain

Yep Saturday is looking wet and breezy just how how wet and how breezy is not nailed down yet high res models will have Saturday details from Thursday night which will give us a much better idea of what to expect.

There is potential for a very wet end to the Festival too with a risk of heavy rain Sunday night into Monday morning but again too far out to call.

I know many people get frustrated by the lack of clear forecasts but in this type of setup we have systems in the Atlantic that computer models are struggling with, the intensity and track of these systems are very hard to predict.

Expect a wet and breezy Saturday with a risk of a wet night Sunday night for now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 658 ✭✭✭MIRMIR82

Villain wrote: »
    Yep Saturday is looking wet and breezy just how how wet and how breezy is not nailed down yet high res models will have Saturday details from Thursday night which will give us a much better idea of what to expect.

There is potential for a very wet end to the Festival too with a risk of heavy rain Sunday night into Monday morning but again too far out to call.

I know many people get frustrated by the lack of clear forecasts but in this type of setup we have systems in the Atlantic that computer models are struggling with, the intensity and track of these systems are very hard to predict.

Expect a wet and breezy Saturday with a risk of a wet night Sunday night for now.

:(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,596 ✭✭✭threein99

I'm unfollowing this thread now as extreme jealousy is setting in :(

I hope it lashes Not really, have a good one everyone that's going

As for the ground, I'm optimistic:

1. This week and last have been very dry
    2. The site hasn't been badly cut up before, which is good precedent, but also lets the vegetation grow more without getting destroyed. More vegetation means more soakage and less mud.
    3. Stradbally is mostly flat land, (unlike Glasto's valley site for example) which prevents the rain runoff from congregating on the ground in any one particular spot.
    4. There's a river (and manmade lake) nearby which will help capture a lot of the water and get it away from the site.
    5. As you say, if it happens early enough, most people won't have made it out of the campsites yet. So, the heavily trafficked campsite spots will almost certainly get churned up (loos, arena entrance areas, etc.) but the main arena will be largely spared heavily footfall.

• Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭BrianosaurJr

Regarding the question about entrances, I don't think the Gate 7 entrance is on the Timahoe Road. Here's a map of the entrances, which seems like gates 3 - 5 are on that road, with Gate 7 being at the other end (north of the map).

• Registered Users Posts: 215 ✭✭GhostMutt30

I know the parking questions have been asked and answered loads here but I'm lookin for some specifics, can't leave till about 1 on Fri, coming from Dublin, staying in Pink Moon so aiming for the green car park. I'm considering going by Vicarstown off exit 15, or if I take exit 16 and follow the signs, will I be able to turn onto the N80 and go straight in or will I be stopped and made go to Red???:D

• Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭BrianosaurJr

Regarding the question about entrances, I don't think the Gate 7 entrance is on the Timahoe Road. Seems like gates 3 - 5 are on that road, with Gate 7 being at the other end (north end of the site map). This is going off a detailed map given to performers with the entrances and roads clearly marked.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,293 ✭✭✭billybonkers

I know the parking questions have been asked and answered loads here but I'm lookin for some specifics, can't leave till about 1 on Fri, coming from Dublin, staying in Pink Moon so aiming for the green car park. I'm considering going by Vicarstown off exit 15, or if I take exit 16 and follow the signs, will I be able to turn onto the N80 and go straight in or will I be stopped and made go to Red???:D

You will have to follow the signposted routes all festival traffic does, the Garda are pretty stringent on this and know the "short cuts" that people will try to take. Green car park usually fills up pretty quickly/first.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,746 ✭✭✭BullBlackNova

You guys are reading my mind!

Think it'll be too hard to tear away myself away from settling in and catching up with mates over a few cans to make Booka but the time slot for These Charming Men looks good.

Best thing about Booka is, though, that its outside the arena - just move the party from the campsite to the Salty Dog, Other Voices, Trenchtown area. Bring the cans and pop in and out.

That said, though, if the crowd for Booka is anything close to how big it was last year, you'd probably need to set off for the Other Voices stage now to get a good spot!!

Last year, we just bagged up a heap of cans and moved into that area for a few hours instead of hanging out in the campsite. Its as chilled and as easy to catch up with people, but with added Brass Bands. Everyone wins ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 111 ✭✭duckdiggler

These Charming Men doing The Queen is Dead on Friday evening in the Salty Dog will be a good way to start the weekend en-route to the main arena :)
    Aaaaaabsolutely :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 215 ✭✭GhostMutt30

You will have to follow the signposted routes all festival traffic does, the Garda are pretty stringent on this and know the "short cuts" that people will try to take. Green car park usually fills up pretty quickly/first.

Fair enough, might just resign myself to the long march from Red so:p

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement