Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Electric Picnic 2016 // **Discussion Only / NO Ticket Sales / Requests** //

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,104 ✭✭✭Pickpocket

Seathrun66 wrote: »
    the cocktail stall near the Body & Soul main stage pumping out crap techno and ruining the vibe

I agree. And whether the music was crap or not is irrelevant. It simply shouldn't have been there. I think most people would agree that the natural amphitheatre of the B&S main stage is one of the coolest things about the festival. It really is special and unique to Electric Picnic. To compromise that in any way is stupid, to do so for money is quite frankly disgraceful.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,627 ✭✭✭✭Beechwoodspark

Was there not a very strict age policy up to recently in ep? I remember they clearly would say no 12-18 year olds were going to be let in but this year that seemed to go out the window big time. Hell I was sittin minding me own biz smokin away at the little body and soul pavilion area and there was a gang of em talkin behind me about what a drag going into 6th year was! Fook sake there's feeling old in a crowd but this was a new level lol normal service soon resumed when we headed over for a gander of some trad players, plenty of grey haired hippies appreciating it hehe

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,706 ✭✭✭sadie06

We had a way more random year, and I really enjoyed Friday and Saturday.

Musical highlights for me were a band I found randomly in Jimmy Lees place on Friday, and caught again deliberately on Saturday in My Lovely Ranch, Leila Jane and the Healers. Seriously, this girl is amazing. Her voice is like a cross between Patsy Cline and Lou Lou, and she had a lovely band and gorgeous backing vocalists. They are based in Dublin. I highly recommend.

Meilyr Jones was my absolute highlight. He performed as if the tent was packed, and the songs are just lovely…chamber pop, very clever. He came down to meet everyone afterwards but I was too shy to approach. I had been grinning dreamily at him for the entire gig. I sent my husband up to buy a CD. :-)

Very impressed with Hare Squead, home grown pop/hip-hop/rap. Very slick and really deserve to go places as they are as good as any international act in their genre. I am not their target market but it was great to see them in action.

Was really enjoying Noel (who I would call myself an admirer of rather than a fan of) but we had to leave as the kids crashed slightly earlier than expected. We all brushed our teeth singing Don't Look Back in Anger back at the tent…it sounded incredible even from there. I was really, really disappointed not to catch LCD, but the days of me feeling comfortable walking all the way back to Family Camping by myself are well and truly gone. Again, sounded incredible from where I was.

Savages were….savage! Had to leave as I couldn't find my ear-plugs and one of my ears was making really angry noises at that stage.

Was pleased the orchestra and Jenny Green pulled it off. Had to bail on that too….way too packed for the kids, but caught the first few.

The Trinity Orchestra Bowie tribute was so hit and miss. It honestly reminded me of a school play where everybody had to be given a little role to keep them happy. Put your best singers for the job forward….end of. Changing singers for every verse for some songs was so annoying! One guy was perfect for the job but still had to give way to another singer halfway through a song. All a bit odd and unprofessional. It was exciting when Hozier came on though…he was excellent.

Bell x 1. Haven't seen them in years, but they are so damn flat and uninspiring now. I realise that they were having technical issues at first, but the whole thing just didn't hang right I felt.

Had great craic at badly translated Karaoke as Gaeilge. Hilarious. Coporate as it may be, the Electric Ireland dance offs are fun to watch for a while also. Liked the Haunted Music Hall in body and soul. Some excellent DJs in their each time we randomly dropped in.

Nas….smooth as hell. Thought he really enjoyed himself too.

I've said my bit about the changes for the worse, but one other negative was I felt the main-stage sound lacked oomph. We were in the stands for The Chemical Brothers and the sound just wasn't packing enough punch compared to Portishead, Grace Jones and Blur who I watched from the same vantage point other years.

Badly disjointed but there you have it.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,217 ✭✭✭✭MadYaker

La Galaxie in the other voices stage was absolutely bouncing! They sounded so good. I left early to get to Noel Gallagher though. I keep remembering random stuff that I saw when I think back on the weekend.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,407 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

Anyone know who the MC of the comedy tent was.I know it's probably a thankless task at the best of times but he was absolutely atrocious. Attempts at being funny just turned into him swearing at people and repeating stuff he'd say earlier.

Could have been worse and could have been Al Porter I guess.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,217 ✭✭✭✭MadYaker

Anyone else a bit dissapointed with Dylan Moran? The tent was rammed and we had a crap spot but I didn't think he was great.

Interesting to hear of other people getting short changed at bars.... It happened to me at the Casa Bacardi and to a friend of mine who bought a pint of Heineken. My friend was a bit wankered and he went mad and cursed the barman out of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,389 ✭✭✭Lotus Flower

6. Highlights - LCD of course, Shins (though I expected better), Nas, ABC, Toots, Whitney, New Order, Kevin Morby (thanks to the poster here who recommended him),

Glad you liked him! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 106 ✭✭charlietully

Friday night I was walking back to campervan with the mate and we were both saying that's it. defo not going back, by this morning I was depressed that it was all over.
    Friday enjoyed todd terje, the chems and flexfab.
    Saturday- fangclub, otherkin, girls names, a bit of Noel and then KKC who really know how to rock a party, love them. Got seriously destroyed by that stage and don't know what happened but woke up sunday with curry in my hair.
    Sunday chilled with the lads and craic was that good missed editors and savages, made it to malojian at the earth ship then new order who were fantastic. finished the weekend in the haunted disco.
    Its brilliant really, the random craic that happened, the weird and wonderful folk you meet, noticed more of an oxygen type crowd as someone mentioned, esp walking through Jimmy Hendrix, holy feck it makes Calaise look decent. Football tops at a festival, seriously, I love my football but hate seeing folk wearing them at festivals or gigs, sad feckers.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,644 ✭✭✭Seathrun66

6. Highlights - LCD of course, Shins (though I expected better), Nas, ABC, Toots, Whitney, New Order, Kevin Morby (thanks to the poster here who recommended him),

Glad you liked him! :)
    Thanks man. I listened to him online and pretty good. Far better live and I'll go to see him again.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,273 ✭✭✭UsedToWait

"MadYaker wrote:

Interesting to hear of other people getting short changed at bars.... It happened to me at the Casa Bacardi and to a friend of mine who bought a pint of Heineken. My friend was a bit wankered and he went mad and cursed the barman out of it.

Plenty of reports of it all right - bad form..
    Everyone who it happened to should let it be known to Festival Republic via Twitter - see if it's more common than we realise..

I hate the thoughts of scumbags skimming easy money off easy targets like this..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 566 ✭✭✭roll

[QUOTE Interesting to hear of other people getting short changed at bars.... It happened to me at the Casa Bacardi and to a friend of mine who bought a pint of Heineken. My friend was a bit wankered and he went mad and cursed the barman out of it.[/QUOTE]

I did notice that it took a long time to get change at the bars... like they were hoping I'd forget...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,780 ✭✭✭Ken Tucky

roll wrote: »
    [QUOTE Interesting to hear of other people getting short changed at bars.... It happened to me at the Casa Bacardi and to a friend of mine who bought a pint of Heineken. My friend was a bit wankered and he went mad and cursed the barman out of it.

I did notice that it took a long time to get change at the bars... like they were hoping I'd forget...[/quote]

Wow that's so true. Had to give the wife money yesterday due to her spending all hers....there is no way she did.

Had a blast though...just after watching Ireland match....Can I go back in time to Friday please.

Getting too old but I loved it.

• Registered Users Posts: 416 ✭✭scary

UsedToWait wrote: »
    Everyone who it happened to should let it be known to Festival Republic via Twitter - see if it's more common than we realise..

I hate the thoughts of scumbags skimming easy money off easy targets like this..

Was at the bar in pink moon on Sunday and English guy serving short changed some fella and he apologised and said he wasn't used to the money

• Registered Users Posts: 5,098 ✭✭✭scruff monkey
    Snarky Snark Snark

scary wrote: »
    Was at the bar in pink moon on Sunday and English guy serving short changed some fella and he apologised and said he wasn't used to the money

That is one c-word-y excuse

• Registered Users Posts: 1,166 ✭✭✭red face dave

UsedToWait wrote: »

Happened me on Saturday evening while getting a pint but I wasn't that drunk. Called him over a told him he short changed me. He came back 5 minutes later with the change and not even an apology the little ****

• Registered Users Posts: 10,654 ✭✭✭✭MJohnston

Got short changed myself, by €1 from €4, at the Heineken bar in the B&S area, noticed it though and got the right change, thought nothing more of it (the girl doing the till looked about 14) but makes you wonder!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,385 ✭✭✭Fatfrog

The sound in the EA was absolutely terrible!! Ruined Wolf Alice! I know their stuff well but at times I struggled to even identify what song it was.

Snarky Snark Snark

Actually thought the sound in the EA was better than last year

• Registered Users Posts: 5,892 ✭✭✭Rfrip

I'm a mid 30's vintage picnicer and honest to god that was the one of the best picnics.
    Was boutique camping, managed to get to yellow car park which was brilliant, was able to use the side entrance going in and out of the arena every day so didn't have to walk through beruit. This was a huge plus.
    Lowlights: very little tbh. The fairground and that bar by body and soul have to go. Awful eyesores. I say it at every year but I hate the addition of Sunday tickets. Il get bad press for this but I think it should be weekend only. You do notice the increased capacity and I feel it makes a huge difference to the vibe also.

Highlights: God, the whole wkend really. Everything just flowed so well. Not a moment dragged. Musically new order and Todd terje.
    Dublin gospel choir sound better every year. They are just an amazing uplifting start to Sunday. Such a simple idea but the sing along social in body and soul was a ridiculous amount of fun.
    Mother last night for four hours then was incredible. They really are the perfect way to finish the festival.
    Course there was loads I didn't get to see or explore which is the nature of it I suppose. One final thing on kids at electric picnic. I have none and to be perfectly honest I'm far to selfish to bring them if I did! However I would hate to see families stop bringing their kids. Think they bring a great element to the festival. It's just so lovely to see kids enjoying themselves and experiencing something so wonderful and enriching, especially in the body and soul area.

Overall...I'm a shell of a person right now, but smiling away now thinking of moments during the weekend. Hope everyone else is the same!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,967 ✭✭✭Synode

Rfrip wrote: »
    Mother last night for four hours then was incredible. They really are the perfect way to finish the festival.

Couldn't agree more. So much fun.

This breakingnews.ie article says early birds only available on Friday to people who attended this year

http://www.breakingnews.ie/showbiz/electric-picnic-2017-tickets-go-on-sale-this-week-753057.html

• Advertisement

Synode wrote: »

This breakingnews.ie article says early birds only available on Friday to people who attended this year

http://www.breakingnews.ie/showbiz/electric-picnic-2017-tickets-go-on-sale-this-week-753057.html

Are the dates for 2017 set?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,247 ✭✭✭Tigger99

Mm I'm raging I didn't pay more attention to the change I was given at the weekend now. I didn't buy much drink only food and spend so much.

What a weekend tho. Epic :D

The fear is mighty tonight :eek:

Snarky Snark Snark

Hard to know what to make of that outside of being a way to cull the number of discount purchasers

Fatfrog wrote: »
    Are the dates for 2017 set?

Don't know for sure but would be hugely surprised if it's not 1st, 2nd and 3rd Sep

Got talking to the former Ireland manager Brian Kerr Saturday in body and soul after John Conneely, seems like a nice guy (think he was relieved I didn't ask for a selfish) loves blue grass, but was really unimpressed by the noise interference at the B&S mainstage "Changed allot since the last time he was there"

Hard to know what to make of that outside of being a way to cull the number of discount purchasers

Probably. It was a free for all this year. €165 for a weekend of music, arts, comedy and everything else at the Picnic is an absolute bargain.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,536 ✭✭✭former total

That "article" is ripped off rte.ie, except the RTE article makes no mention of limiting it to this year. I think they've added two and two and ended up with a cat.

Breakingnews.ie is never to be trusted, it's not a proper news provider.

Snarky Snark Snark

Probably. It was a free for all this year. €165 for a weekend of music, arts, comedy and everything else at the Picnic is an absolute bargain.

Aye, very much so

• Registered Users Posts: 1,780 ✭✭✭Ken Tucky

Fatfrog wrote: »
    The sound in the EA was absolutely terrible!! Ruined Wolf Alice! I know their stuff well but at times I struggled to even identify what song it was.

Was at the back... left of the mixing desk. Sound was unreal. Very big tent though....it's massive. I guess you need to get lucky where you stand.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,808 ✭✭✭✭Dtp1979

Short changed a few times myself at the bars.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement