Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Electric Picnic 2016 // **Discussion Only / NO Ticket Sales / Requests** //

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

The bass was off for a few bands I heard in the Electric Arena. The bass was ridiculously overpowering in quite a few songs. Can't remember which band but the bass player was motioning to the sound desk to turn it down. They were either unable or incapable to do it though as it didn't really change.

• Registered Users Posts: 390 ✭✭Paddy2012

TherapyBoy wrote: »
    Beanstalk wrote: »

Who was DJing in the salty Dog until 4 on Saturday night? The tunes were class. Born Slippy at the end!

Le Galaxie I think. Any night that ends with Underworld is a good one in my book!

He was excellent, does anyone know the second or third last track he played? Not sabotage, it was sort of a synthy instrumental.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,780 ✭✭✭Ken Tucky

Sweet Jesus..1975. Just watching RTE coverage. Did this actually happen. I need to go to bed. I'm awake but having nightmares

• Registered Users Posts: 33 Todd Terje

Paddy2012 wrote: »
    He was excellent, does anyone know the second or third last track he played? Not sabotage, it was sort of a synthy instrumental.

I think it could have been Opus by Eric Prydz? Or a remix of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 390 ✭✭Paddy2012

Todd Terje wrote: »
    Paddy2012 wrote: »

I think it could have been Opus by Eric Prydz? Or a remix of it.

Thanks man, that's it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,320 ✭✭✭fourmations

my story

i had a great time this year, better than last year for whatever reason
    maybe i was more up for it

my music experience was a bit messed up as i was hanging out
    with a group who for the main part wanted pop or dance
    arrived friday 4ish, into green and off we went, did the pink moon queue and got settled
    saw... these charming men (fun for smith fans) nas (great) chems (so so)

saturday, awoke to beating rain and the heat, cant get over how hot and stuffy the tents get and so quickly, it wasnt even warm out! once it gets bright it turns into an oven.
    saw....glass animals (loved them, well impressed) joey badass (excellent even though i dont know him from adam, im an old hop hop head)
    noel (decent but nothing amazing) sack (old dublin band) small bit of DBFC, went to LCD... but well pissed off that i was dragged off from that after a couple of songs, too slow for my group, not a major fan but know a good bit of the material, feel i missed out there, arsed around a bit and ended up at Le Galaxies salty dog dj set which was fun

sunday.....trainers retired its hiking boots time!
    saw....wild beasts (im a fan anyway,love them but my missus didnt!), animal collective (pissed off i didnt get there earlier there were excellent, love some of there stuff but have heard lots of sketchy live performances but they were actually excellent, played some classics as well that were well unexpected based on current sets) New Order (flawless set but fairly lifeless i though, going through the motions) Lana...(thought she was very good, i do love her though, yeah i know shes fake and they lyrics are grim but she could sing the phonebook IMO, crowd seemed to go for her too, i thought i would be up the front will 100 teenage girls crying but she got a good draw despite the driving rain, we arsed around a bit in B&S then but all soaked to the skin and not getting any happier we headed back to pink moon for a change and hung out in their area for hours having our own booze (which was all very nice) couldnt face heading back in after getting dry, retired at 3am

I didnt find it so packed this year compared to last for some reason
    maybe there was more of a spread, i remember coming away from florence last year on the sunday and it was absolutely packed, i deffo feel the difference from over the last few years from 2012 on,
    i thought there was a nice vibe this year but maybe its me,
    i didnt queue for anything for long all weekend, got beers and food handy enough, longest thing was a couple of mojitos in casa barcardi
    (are the staff all on yokes btw?)

regarding those folk that party too hard and annoy people and generally over indulgence...
    didnt really notice too many mashed people, obviously a few but i wonder if its where you stay on site and where you frequent... we used the pink moon entrance when we could, when it was closed we went salty dog, thats where there were more "revellers".... is it safe to say that the mad bstd contingency are in wilde & hendrix, anyway, ive no issues with people doing or drinking what they want, just a shame when they cant pace themselves and enjoy it! , i think "dont be a dick" comes into play here and my weekend was dickhead free gladly, got trod on and bodychecked once or twice by dicks charging through crowds but hey ive learned to take this in my stride and not get aggy about it

thought the standard of food was good this year but devastated
    that i couldnt get a kebab, i only have one the odd time and always goes down well at EP, where were they, used to be back to back on the food run iirc!!! wok & roll red curry was good, proper feed! brekkie rolls at paintball entrance hut were huge!

beers in the arena were the usual, over priced and average
    got a few pints of cute hoor from that "craft beer" stall
    which broke up the monotony but when its in a plastic glass and youre walking around with it it all turns to sht pretty quickly anyway!

regarding kids....(i have a 13yr and an 8yr old)
    i would personally not bring them, dont think it suitable
    for all the same reasons everyone else does,
    people out of it all over the place, men pssing everywhere
    also, dare i say it...i dont want them there, its three days a year
    where we can let go and switch off from the trials of life, i dont want to be minding my kids at EP! i do it 362 days a year!!

god, i better stop now, you get the gist! i had fun and wasnt bothered by much at all this year gladly, went with the flow and had a good one

cheers

• Registered Users Posts: 9,810 ✭✭✭Charlie

I seem to be one of the few who thought the crowd seemed an improvement on last year. I certainly remember last year around Main Stage on the Friday & Saturday nights, you could barely move an inch, and moving when an act finished resembled a doomsday movie. This year seemed to have that bit more room to manoeuvre, but that's just perceptions I guess.

Also seemed to encounter less rough 'uns this year, but I think that was down largely to staying in Pink Moon. For me, it can't be stressed enough how much that improves your festival experience. It's not just the pre-made tents, the little luxuries, or the crowd within the site itself, but the fact that you enter the arena without going near Hendrix/Wilde/Main Arena entrance, really seems to make a difference to your perception of the place.

With early bird tickets, and booking PM early, we paid €250pp all in. That's absolutely cracking value for the overall experience, and for those who feel that EP is drifting towards Oxygen, I'd really recommend doing PM before giving up on the festival.

Agree with others on noise bleed. It's an absolute pox, and seems so unnecessary. Nobody is choosing burger van A over burger van B, because one is playing a song the other isn't. Festival Republic should really ban all traders from pumping out music, it won't make a jot to anyone's bottom line.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,897 ✭✭✭✭Discodog

Does anyone use the official EP forum ? In the early years they really listened to comments & would interact with the forum. A lot of improvements were made because of forum requests & comments.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,202 ✭✭✭maximoose

Great weekend, weather a bit of a downer on Sunday night.

Highlights: LCD, Whitney, Chemical Bros, Pantha du Prince

Animal Collective are possibly the weirdest musical act I've ever seen. I only knew Florida going in but my friend wanted to go, after the opening song I was wondering what the actual fûck I was witnessing but after that it was magnificent. Prob fave act of the weekend.

Crowd was pretty decent I thought this year, can't recall one incident of acting the maggot or even any messing in the mud. Loads of 16/17 year old groups about the place.

Will be getting an early bird ticket for 2017 but I think it'll take a strong lineup to stop me selling and going abroad next year.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,644 ✭✭✭Seathrun66

Discodog wrote: »
    Does anyone use the official EP forum ? In the early years they really listened to comments & would interact with the forum. A lot of improvements were made because of forum requests & comments.
    I haven't for 2/3 years. I may be wrong but it doesn't seem to get much use these days. And would those improvements have been in the Reynolds/Pod days? FR may listen a lot less.

However I agree, it may be the route to sorting out some some of the problems. That, or emailing them directly.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,855 ✭✭✭Morrison J

New Order were the act of the weekend for me. Absolutely perfect. Temptation was something else.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,644 ✭✭✭Seathrun66

maximoose wrote: »
    Animal Collective are possibly the weirdest musical act I've ever seen. I only knew Florida going in but my friend wanted to go, after the opening song I was wondering what the actual f ck I was witnessing but after that it was magnificent. Prob fave act of the weekend.
    Yeah, I enjoyed them, but couldn't figure out where they were heading. And only one track from Merriweather. Mad, but impressive.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,005 ✭✭✭byrneg28

I stayed in Pink Moon and the security were perfect. I understand that security would be more serious on the Jimi Hendrix campsite entrance but my god, I went through once after being at trenchtown at around 2am and I got my bag checked by one security guard, then I got frisked by another and my bag checked by him, my wallet opened, my hat checked??

What the hell were they looking for, if I can bring drink into the main arena at that time? Obviously I'm not so stupid , but I've never seen security care that much about finding drugs or whatever? - are they on commission? are they looking for weapons?

What the hell is going on, really ruined the enjoyment for me on Sunday, put a downer on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,573 ✭✭✭Thundercats Ho

Feeling semi human again.
    As usual, I had a cracking weekend. Pink moon was the business.

Took it reasonably easy on the Friday, and had a great time as a result. I was thinking to myself 'maybe I've finally grown up'
    Then on Saturday, I found the €3 whiskeys in my lovely ranch, and it all went pear shaped.

Sunday I got mashed and proposed to my missus, she told me to cop the F on...

Saw bands I never heard of, and missed plenty I wanted to see. Par for the course I guess.

Roll on next year.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 861 ✭✭✭MeatTwoVeg

Bless me father for I have sinned. It's been 11 years since my last EP.

So after a long absence I went back to EP this year with, shock horror! 2kids. A 7 and 9 year old.
    Got there Friday afternoon, got the tent set up and headed in.
    It's certainly bigger than it used to be. Great weather on the Friday and didn't notice any anti social behavior.
    Rain on Saturday morning was a bit of a downer but it cleared up nice in the afternoon. We live close enough so headed home on the Sat night just before the rain hit and then returned on Sunday, again leaving before it started raining again.

Overall I was well impressed. Never had to queue for a pint or food. Everyone seemed very chilled out and we got the best of the weather and missed the worst.

In terms of bringing kids, they loved it. We weren't there late at night so didn't see any drunken antics. It's a typical Irish response to suggest that because there's drunk people about kids shouldn't be brought. EP needs more kids and less yobs, not the opposite.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,518 ✭✭✭pah

I've thought of a great way to involve the kids. Use today's children's allowance to snap up those early birds on Friday. Like fuč they're coming with us though.

First EP since 2010 had a great weekend with herself got the poshest podpad and pink moon sight was great. Still a lot of rubbish around there Monday morning **** everywhere and abandoned chairs mattress and whatnot. I'll be encouraging my kids away from general population camping when the time comes. It's worth it.

Highlights for me Noel gallagher, new order mostly just floated around and soaked up the atmosphere. Food was average burritos were good and got some savage chips cheese and rain Sunday night. Got chips Saturday from Food Fayre as raw as the day the potatoes were pulled. I was delighted to see no queue they're Sunday while the 2 flanking them were hopping.

To the general camping population I say this. You're a ****ing disgrace.how hard is it to put all your **** in a black bag. Oxfam had appealed for tents to be packed and dropped for donation. Hundreds abandoned. Give a little back you selfish little *****.the same type of person that drops their empty curry chips carton on the ground in town on a Saturday night while standing 3 feet from a bin :mad:

Anyway good craic, I'll be back.

Sunday I got mashed and proposed to my missus, she told me to cop the F on
    lmao

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,596 ✭✭✭threein99

Feeling semi human again.
    As usual, I had a cracking weekend. Pink moon was the business.

Took it reasonably easy on the Friday, and had a great time as a result. I was thinking to myself 'maybe I've finally grown up'
    Then on Saturday, I found the €3 whiskeys in my lovely ranch, and it all went pear shaped.

Sunday I got mashed and proposed to my missus, she told me to cop the F on...

Saw bands I never heard of, and missed plenty I wanted to see. Par for the course I guess.

Roll on next year.

:D

• Registered Users Posts: 574 ✭✭✭fillup

Morrison J wrote: »
    New Order were the act of the weekend for me. Absolutely perfect. Temptation was something else.
    New Order were better than i expected but that version of Love Will Tear Us Apart that they played is rank

They've taken a post punk classic and reworked it as a stadium rock anthem and replaced the melancholic feel of the song with an uplift *shudder*

• Registered Users Posts: 5,892 ✭✭✭Rfrip

Jesus Christ I'm exhausted

• Advertisement

fillup wrote: »
    New Order were better than i expected but that version of Love Will Tear Us Apart that they played is rank

They've taken a post punk classic and reworked it as a stadium rock anthem and replaced the melancholic feel of the song with an uplift *shudder*

agreed, liked the screen imagery they used though for it

• Registered Users Posts: 5,098 ✭✭✭scruff monkey
    Snarky Snark Snark

in work staring at dita files....

the tiredness is kicking in....

**** dita files...

• Registered Users Posts: 182 ✭✭Canneverfindit

Just catching up on this thread now..

Really enjoying the 'bringing the kids' chat as I'm still unsure of my opinion on this one. Have thought about it loads as we have 3 - ages 5,6 and 10 but I've never brought them with me. Why:

1. Far too selfish. We're flat out working all year long (like everyone else!), rarely go out, if we go away for a weekend/ holiday we always have the kids with us. EP is the one weekend of the entire year where we book a babysitter and head off to step into another world and be completely irresponsible for 3 whole days. I looked at so many parents with children over the weekend and felt a pang of guilt - thought 'fair play to them, they are so much less selfish than we are'.

2. I dont think I'd really like mine to see some of the **** that goes on. The 10 year old is old enough to cop on to certain things, the 6 year old is the most sensitive little person I've ever met in my entire life - he'll hear someone say something 'mean' to someone else on Monday in school and it'll stay with him - often popping down from bed on a Wednesday night with tears in his eyes to tell me he was feeling sad about it. The 5 year old is absolute raving LUNATIC - I'd lose her in seconds, no doubt - or would have to use reigns on her. She'd follow any sort of craic she seen with no cop on. Its highly probably she'd want to go raving in the woods at 4am.

One has asthma and we dont have a campervan and as we cant depend on weather here, I'd worry the drop in night time temperatures would trigger an attack.

In short - its going to really depend on the child. Their individual personality and needs etc. and I suspect every parent knows their own child best so theyre the most qualified to call this one.

I do feel a little bad though, cos I know mine would love it - I've considered asking one of the extended family to drop them to me at the gate on a Saturday morning and get them to collect them that evening. Just for the amazing experience of it all. It IS fabulous, I'd love them to see it and for it to open their minds a little bit.

At the end of all that, I'm just going to say what I said to someone in our campsite who were giving out about kids being present on Saturday morning:
    Seriously - unfortunately there are millions of kids worldwide who really do deserve your pity - abused, neglected, the Syrian children etc.
    Kids whose parents happened to take them to a music festival one weekend dont need or deserve your pity.

Bitta perspective lads.

Off to catch up the rest of the thread and then to bore you all with my weekend experience (have a lot to say! :))

• Registered Users Posts: 2,008 ✭✭✭Wooderson

Fatfrog wrote: »
    The sound in the EA was absolutely terrible!! Ruined Wolf Alice! I know their stuff well but at times I struggled to even identify what song it was.

Have to agree. Sound quality for their show was appalling.

• Registered Users Posts: 194 ✭✭laois gael

Live very Close by 3 miles away so a group of us just pitch a few tents and leave clothes and Chairs in them...Some of the younger crew with us stay in them but I go home every night.

Defo noticed an increased crowd this year...Made the walking in the woods hard at times with the flow of traffic...

Was a younger crowd but mostly younger girls ...

I know the short shorts are in fashion but the but cheeks sticking out ain't a turn on ...

Thought there was a good vibe...

Enjoyed the Smiths in the salty Dog on friday evening..

Noel Gallagher was excellent.

Casa Bacardi tent was a little messy this year and the drinks very terrible value with the amount of Ice they use.

Hendrix camp site seemed messier than usual and the tents were pitched far to close to the walk way on the way up from the woods usually there is lads there on a friday morning to tell you where to pitch or not but not this year..Hence loads of peoples tents got walked on along that route.

I think they need to reduce the crowd back near 40,000 but it won't happen.

Overall not one of the best but not one of the worst.

Glad I could help people with directions being local and knowing the area can be handy.

Found a phone and got it back to the young girl saturday morning which gave me a buzz she was very young and it was a new Samsung edge.

Found a handbag/purse walking out in the rain Sunday night and handed it into Portlaoise Garda station yesterday morning(had a big big sum of euros in it along with Visa cards and surprisingly 2 unused weekend tickets plus more stuff)

I hope its recovered by the owner now the Garda seemed confident they would be able to contact them from cards in it!.

I'm not sure I'll go for a ticket on Friday for the simple fact that the crowds are just too much for the whole thing now unless they increase the area.

Being so close and it being so handy tho means it would be a shame not to.

I agree with the music coming from the carnival and the chip vans...Turn it down or turn it off...Nobody wants it on...

• Registered Users Posts: 12,217 ✭✭✭✭MadYaker

It seems to be a problem they have with that stage so? Me and someone else noticed it at broken social scene too. I think it only affects bands? I saw Todd Terje and Skepta in that tent too and the sound seemed fine, although they were all on quite late and I was a bit mashed at that stage. It's frustrating that they can't get it right after several years with the same setup.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,654 ✭✭✭✭MJohnston

Ooof yeah, the overwhelming bass frequencies. Was sitting in the Tea Tent at one point trying to chill a bit and it was just 'whoommmmmmpphhh' constantly. Don't mind an oul rave myself like, but jesus, it was ****ing nonstop wall-to-wall obnoxious EDM. Haven't any of them heard of nu-disco or some slow-groove house? It's a marathon, not a sprint ffs.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,098 ✭✭✭scruff monkey
    Snarky Snark Snark

MadYaker wrote: »
    It seems to be a problem they have with that stage so? Me and someone else noticed it at broken social scene too. I think it only affects bands? I saw Todd Terje and Skepta in that tent too and the sound seemed fine, although they were all on quite late and I was a bit mashed at that stage. It's frustrating that they can't get it right after several years with the same setup.

Was wondering about this, for festivals, do the bands have their own sound people or does the festival provide them to ensure consistency?

• Registered Users Posts: 21 Flyingfug86

Stayed in hendrix and jesus where do I even start. Friday night a girl sits down with us out of her mind looking for her friends who are staying in the big white cloud so that tells you where she was at. I was keeping her calm and having a laugh with her when she just ran off looking for her friends then 5 minutes there she is with a guy pushing her along with her in tears and me and another guy in our group call over to her she comes running over in an awful state saying some guy was trying to push her into his tent she spent the next while in tears until her friends stumble across us.

Saturday began with one of our neighbours tents getting flooded so we took him in and myself and the missus headed off listing to a few acts for the day came back that night had a laugh went to sleep.

Sunday I spent the entire day in the comedy tent as I was far too delicate for anything else then when that was over went back to my own tent which was full because of the rain but didn't mind. At some late hour we spot this guy with a lamp shining into our neighbours tent who just dove straight in when he seen nobody was there so we head out to investigate and he turned and ran. Then layer on while we were asleep our tent gets rushed by 10-15 people chanting so we kick them back out the door and one falls on top of my missus trough the side waking her up and scaring the life out of her. Then the shopping basket gets thrown around by the neighbours which nearly starts a riot plus cans and all the rest. Needless to say I won't be camping in hendrix anymore it was like lord of the flys I can only imagine what it was like down in the back corners of the campsite absolut mayhem.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,539 ✭✭✭ghostdancer

Was wondering about this, for festivals, do the bands have their own sound people or does the festival provide them to ensure consistency?
    depends on the act. smaller bands won't have anyone, bigger ones will often have a sound engineer(s) that tour with them and take over from the festival's dedicated one(s), or at least work with them.
    the same at indoor venues too, there'll often be in-house engineers but more established acts will have their own crew who know their sound configuration better.
    many acts will also specify on the rider the equipment (or level of equipment) they want at the venue to be used; monitors, sound desks etc.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement