Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Electric Picnic 2016 // **Discussion Only / NO Ticket Sales / Requests** //

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,098 ✭✭✭scruff monkey
    Snarky Snark Snark

Totally forgot about it but if Barbara (if that was your real name) from Pink Moon is on here, who we accompanied back to the site on Sunday morning (around 4ish) and she promised to join us for a drink and then failed to re-appear.

You are dead to us Barbara, dead.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,644 ✭✭✭Seathrun66

Seathrun66 wrote: »
    I was tempted by Pink Moon this year (normally camp in Warhol) but instead opted for a B&B in Athy with pals. Basic but friendly place with a nice breakfast, 40 per head for four of us in two rooms. Got taxis there and back daily for 20 each way (thus 5 each and 30 in total). Thus it cost us 170 each and that included breakfast so you could reasonably subtract 30 from that total adding up to 140 for the weekend.

Not for everyone (and it's quite possibly cheating) but it's an option used by a fair few people staying in Athy, Portlaoise, Durrow, Abbeyleix & Stradbally itself. I didn't see the campsites for the entire weekend (to me Hendrix & Wilde have never been good, Warhol has been fine and if camping next year I'll likely be in Joplin despite the walk) and thus missed much of the more difficult behaviour from people. Which I'm grateful far.

Overall I'd say I prefer camping, but the cooked breakfasts, en suite showers, toilet & soft bed were a nice change this year.

You see I did this in 2014 - stayed in an AirBnB a couple of miles away. I totally agree on how nice it is to have a bed, a shower etc but I really think you miss out on so much of the atmosphere that comes with camping/ staying 'in house'. I love the 1st can after setting up camp, love the chat and craic at the site, love that you can nip back and forth as much as you like. Its a pain in the arse trying to get a taxi out - wasnt unusual for us to wait over an hour in 2014..
    Yeah, I fully agree. I've stayed outside some years but I'll definitely be back camping next year.

In terms of taxis we had an Athy number and just notified the guy 30 mins before we wanted to leave, then walked and met him in Stradbally. Was no trouble at all.

B&Bs not for all, but comparatively easy to organise and probably a cheaper option than Pink Moon. It also could appeal to families or some posters here who've had enough of the campsites.

However, as I said it'll be Joplin/Chaplin/Eco for me in 2017. Already looking forward to it. When's the 2017 thread starting?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,098 ✭✭✭scruff monkey
    Snarky Snark Snark

When's the 2017 thread starting?

It's already there, the r-word has been mentioned already along with Daft Punk.

MJohnston wrote: »
    Big part of EP for me is the complete disconnection from reality. That's why I could never stay off-site, no matter how appealing a nice comfy bed sounds sometimes!
    Yeah, you're right. It wasn't the bed that appealed but the options available. Had a baby earlier this year and my wife couldn't come. We also had less of a crowd this year, only three pals going and all staying in a B&B so I fell in with them.

I enjoyed aspects of staying there but definitely missed out on much of the experience and will be back camping in 2017. And ad infinitum.

When's the 2017 thread starting?

It's already there, the r-word has been mentioned already along with Daft Punk.
    Apologies for giving it a second (or third) mention.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,320 ✭✭✭fourmations

forgot.....
    special mention for Trump
    caught his speech, well funny!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,247 ✭✭✭Tigger99

I could hug this thread today. Helped enormously :)

• Registered Users Posts: 165 ✭✭chicken foot

Pickpocket wrote: »
    I know that the Hendrix is pretty wild but you're essentially saying that there are literally thousands of people you wouldn't want to speak to at a music festival.

With that attitude you're better off being tucked away in the corner of the site. Or better yet, just stay at home.

No, I said I wouldn't chat with most I saw in Hendrix. I didn't see thousands, hundreds maybe? A very small percentage of 50k enough of a percentage for me to get outta Dodge.

I dont care If people are pissed, stoned or high, if you're there for a good time and are mindful and respectful of others then you're good! I didn't see much of that in my tour of Hendrix unfirtunately.

I had great chats with people, im not impartial to a drink and a bit of dancing, I just can't cope with angry scumbags.

• Registered Users Posts: 13 mulkabu

Love reading everyones boards write ups. An important part of the process of closure :)

I could list many a highlight, but the true star is the crowd. The scottish security guards always stick out, they're so agressive, but they need to be at T in the park, to keep people safe. At EP, I'll admit a few times I'd judge some people by their clothes, their accent - or just their age at this stage! - and time and again they'd bust my bias by erupting in sorries at even an imagined slight. I'm sure there are some bad people, but I didn't meet them. Everyone I meet is working hard to get a passing stranger to laugh.

EP is unrecognisable from what it started as - things evolve - but as much as the demographics have changed what has remained constant in my experience is the kindness.

Roll on 2017 :)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,892 ✭✭✭Rfrip

Meant to say actually, what an unbelievable moment when Todd Terje played Stand Back by Stevie Nicks!

100 percent. Eyeroll moment for me

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,627 ✭✭✭✭Beechwoodspark

I won't repeat my tale of my encounter with way ott aggressive security very late on sat night in Hendrix, it's in my post yesterday if u are interested in reading, but all I will say is that in the campsites there was a sense of anarchy, bordering on complete mayhem especially on sat night. This then contributed to the security losing the run of themselves. Sunday night was more subdued prob due to the rain.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,675 ✭✭✭thunderdog

Rfrip wrote: »
    100 percent. Eyeroll moment for me

Speaking of Todd terje, did he play svensk sas and roughly when in the eye did he play it?

I left the rte orch for Todd about 25 mins in. I was hoping to catch svensk sas but missed it (if he played it)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,675 ✭✭✭thunderdog

I got chatting to a guy after the rave in the woods. He had missed all of Friday and early sat due to dropping some acid. He was too terrified to leave his tent for about 14 hours! Looked a bit shook to say the least!

• Registered Users Posts: 15,627 ✭✭✭✭Beechwoodspark

thunderdog wrote: »
    I got chatting to a guy after the rave in the woods. He had missed all of Friday and early sat due to dropping some acid. He was too terrified to leave his tent for about 14 hours! Looked a bit shook to say the least!

I can relate! Not this year but yeah....fun times

• Registered Users Posts: 3,518 ✭✭✭pah

Regarding PM i shelled out a ****load of money for a cabin with podpads. It was a treat for me and herself turning 35 having had our 5th kid last year and I had finished my masters.

Double bed with mattresses, sheets, duvet, pillows, cushions, towels, fold out chairs and table. We had 4 mains sockets and ran a 40L coolbox full of cans :cool:. Hadn't been since 2010 and I wouldn't splash out that much again but I'd definitely go with a bellepad for 6 or similar.

• Registered Users Posts: 739 ✭✭✭gandalfio

pah wrote: »
    Regarding PM i shelled out a ****load of money for a cabin with podpads. It was a treat for me and herself turning 35 having had our 5th kid last year and I had finished my masters.

Double bed with mattresses, sheets, duvet, pillows, cushions, towels, fold out chairs and table. We had 4 mains sockets and ran a 40L coolbox full of cans :cool:. Hadn't been since 2010 and I wouldn't splash out that much again but I'd definitely go with a bellepad for 6 or similar.

Sounds great.
    How much did that cost in total?
    Does anyone have pics of inside the podpads or pink moon tents? Are they big and spacious enough for two people?
    Are the podpads and pink moon tents susceptible to feeling like being in a sauna when the early sun rises?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,901 ✭✭✭Mince Pie

pah wrote: »

See now that sounds more tempting than just the pre-erected tents. But I look at those prices and gulp. You could probably buy a caravan and do a few festivals comfortably then sell it at the end of the summer for about the same money.
    Parking it is the major issue.

I've given this all a lot of thought cos right now I'm still knackered due to lack of sleep over the weekend.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,780 ✭✭✭Ken Tucky

This is the hardest comedown ever..I'm heartbroken it's over.

Herself won't go next year because our 6 yr old missed us. She is my festival buddy...can't do it without her.

I'm actually looking forward to work tomorrow so I can get it out of my head.

Think I need counseling...thanks to all the random decent skins I met along the way. Made my weekend. Nowhere on Earth I'd rather be

Meant to say actually, what an unbelievable moment when Todd Terje played Stand Back by Stevie Nicks!

He ended with Whitney didn't he??? Or was I that f*cked!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,530 ✭✭✭Ferris_Bueller

Rfrip wrote: »
    He ended with Whitney didn't he??? Or was I that f*cked!

Yep he either played that last or second last, can remember a good few tunes he played but there was one towards the end that I had no clue what it was. Spiral was absolutely epic about 2 songs in, my favourite song of his.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,217 ✭✭✭✭MadYaker

Didn't he play inspector Norse last?? I was a bit wrecked at that stage but I remember that song

MadYaker wrote: »
    Didn't he play inspector Norse last?? I was a bit wrecked at that stage but I remember that song

Deffo wasn't last...it was before Whitney and Stevie nicks im sure.

Prob a pair of us in it!!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,760 ✭✭✭Effects

Ken Tucky wrote: »
    Herself won't go next year because our 6 yr old missed us. She is my festival buddy...can't do it without her.

Really? Your kid missed her for a few days?
    That's why I wouldn't want to have kids.

• Registered Users Posts: 214 ✭✭Reded

No, I said I wouldn't chat with most I saw in Hendrix. I didn't see thousands, hundreds maybe? A very small percentage of 50k enough of a percentage for me to get outta Dodge.

I dont care If people are pissed, stoned or high, if you're there for a good time and are mindful and respectful of others then you're good! I didn't see much of that in my tour of Hendrix unfirtunately.

I had great chats with people, im not impartial to a drink and a bit of dancing, I just can't cope with angry scumbags.

Completely agree! There is too much tolerance for destructive behaviour at EP it's getting worse people have no respect for themselves, property or the environment - I love EP regardless of line up but I can't stand this side of the festival. Hendrix is Armageddon!!!! Organisers need to get tougher and ID all the kids coming in and refuse entry. there were hundreds of u-18's there off there heads and generally pushing through crowds to stage! We partied all week and didn't bother a soul - all that was left behind us was s few flattened earthworms!!😉

Another Moan is the thumping sounds from logic and sound atlas distorting the sounds in particular at Jerry fish stage! It was like a battle of the performers - so unfair on artists! But will that change? I doubt it!!! €€€€€

Anyway, I'm wrecked today and have post festival blues...! Had to crawl back into work yesterday at 12:30 was not pleasant!!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,385 ✭✭✭Fatfrog

I'm a bit tender today..back to work.. I feel like crying every now and then. Im considering my life choices, am I with the right person... in the right career....?? Pure depression talking I know will pass.

Landed late Friday due to a wedding, managed to get pitched just as darkness fell, camped in Chaplin which was A1, close to the red car park + relatively close to the arena. Uncramped, chilled seemed to be a 30+ crowd who actually didn't just **** the rubbish right outside their tents! By Monday bar the odd group, there were lovely spots of actual GREEN grass.

Managed to get to see the chems, seen them a few times at this stage and they didn't disappoint. Did a bit of a wander but wasn't fit for much more hit the tent.

Kicked Saturday off with Trinity Orchestra, the Bowie tunes kept coming I was loving every minute. Chachacha changes...
    Caught Elephant on the body and Soul main stage, seriously impressed tight band! Followed by John Conneely, obvious talent but I felt he whored himself out too much on the cover versions.
    I sat and scooped the face of my self with pints for a few hours, a mate got pulled by under cover cops for smoking a spliff, taken off him + slap on the wrists.

Jerry fish easily had the worst MC between acts while i waited for Engine alley, I've never wanted to punch someone so much!!
    Beer run and back for Noel Gallagher, not that interested in his solo stuff but his band are incredible, it was great to hear the Oasis stuff.
    LCD WERE AMAZING it was a party, I was chatting to x2 girls in the crowd who hadn't heard of them and they had time of their lives.
    The rain wasn't too bad actually on Sat night (I found Sunday night far worse)
    I forced the craic for another few hours at various tents and stages but the earlier pintage had caught up with me :)
    Back to the tent but it was like a bad dream was met by a wall of spiders webs inside the tent, the rain had driven hundreads of the week ****ers in..

Sunday was one of the clashless Sundays I've ever experienced at the EP, I don't know if thats good or bad..!

Toots was pure class ;), caught a bit of local Natives, nice clean sound. Wolf Alice I was looking forward to most on Sunday, but the sound was atrocious!!! I was close to the front in centre. They have lovely soft sound followed by much harder riffs, it's a great contrast that works well on the album, but it was just muffled by the poor sound :(

New order were just OK, I love their stuff and sound and everything was fine, but they came across as bland as fk, the female playing the keyboard looked about as miserable as I am today.

The rain was quite heavy, ive never seen so many people unprepared! There was what looked sisters, one was about 10 the other about 14, standing in a queue for food, it was dark and lashing rain and both were in Tee-shirts, that really bothered me!! I gave the smaller one a poncho.

Caught in a time warp at some point, all of a sudden it was after 12, I wanted to go a swoon on Lana but had pretty much missed her! To Ezra Furman, can fault him but as someone else else pointed he was just annoying!! Didn't look like he was enjoying the gig at all.

Highlights;
    LCD
    Toots
    the Warhol reflective room in Hazelwood ;)

Lows:
    Human ****e on the walk way through Wilde
    Missing most of Friday
    Spider attack
    Seeing poor helpless kids in the lashing rain.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,385 ✭✭✭Fatfrog

My phone tells me I walked 43km over the weekend!! That's a marathon, on minimal sleep + wellies :)

• Registered Users Posts: 10,654 ✭✭✭✭MJohnston

Fatfrog wrote: »
    Human ****e on the walk way through Wilde

So that wasn't just my imagination then! The whole campsite was reeking of human excrement.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,582 ✭✭✭Swashbuckler

Wrecked! Have enjoyed reading people's highlights and thoughts on the weekend. While I was a bit apprehensive about the lineup I really really had a great time. As someone said earlier a lot depends on who you go with and I had a great bunch.

Saw loads..Probably too much!

Highlights:
    Le Galaxie. Jam packed and deserved a bigger stage. Phenomenal.
    Jenny Green and the Orchestra. Have to say I really enjoyed it.
    Dublin Gospel Choir. Never gonna miss that again.
    New Order. Loved the whole set.
    LCD what I saw was excellent.

Lowlights:
    Sound quality was an issue in a few different places. Body & Soul mainstage on Friday night for Motherx and All Tvvins was very bad. Same for Wolf Alice.
    Weather was a shame but f*ck it. Wellies and poncho.
    Went to see some ****e bands as a compromise with the gang I was with which is no biggie I guess.
    The age profile definitely seems to have dropped. Some worryingly young looking lads and girls fairly pissed off their heads.

Stayed in Pink Moon again. Would not stay anywhere else. Walked through a couple of the other sites and they were shocking bad. The comfort of Pink Moon is worth it. And the people are very chilled.

All in all a great weekend. Will be buying Friday and hopefully will make it to next year's. One thing I would like to do is spend more time in Trench town and Body and Soul area. Love the vibe up there.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,662 ✭✭✭dirkmeister

Highlights for me were LCD Soundsystem and an absolute belter of a gig from Otherkin.

Feelgood story:My friend lost his phone Friday night,rang it on Saturday morning and a lad answered it who said he'd meet him once the rain cleared off.
    By that time the phone was turned off and my friend assumed the phone was gone for good.
    He chanced lost and found on Sunday morning and the phone had been handed in....goes to show that there ARE decent people left in the world!!

Lowlights: The behaviour of a group of lads in the Oscar Wilde site p!ssing on tents at 4:30pm on Saturday.

F*cking pr!cks.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,632 ✭✭✭SligoBrewer

MJohnston wrote: »
    People giving out about people bringing kids - leave it out. Electric Picnic has always been a festival designed to be family friendly (hence the free entry for U-12s) and indeed, when I first started going in 2005, it was one of the biggest things that appealed to me about the festival - it was relaxed, friendly, and artistic enough to be a great place to bring some kids. Maybe you think kids only listen to ****ty pop music, or like to watch iPad cartoons? Well, good luck raising yours then, but that's not the way everyone wants to do it. Me and my wife brought our 10 week old, and he loved it - he was more relaxed than he ever has been at home, and the amount of new sights and sounds he had to experience will help his development greatly. He really enjoyed the campervan experience too! We brought little baby ear protectors to keep his hearing safe, and he was in a baby carrier which let him sleep all he wanted (and he did plenty even in the main arena) - when you have kids you'll understand that they'll sleep anywhere they want to, those little toddlers sleeping in the pull along carts are just as happy as if they were in a real bed. In short, some parents want their children to have broad horizons and EP in the past has been a perfect place to show them that. Seeing a few people mashed off their donkeys on whiz-whaps isn't going to break their brains, they'll ask you whats going on, and you'll explain, and maybe when they get a bit older, they'll not think of drugs as some rebellious act of teenagehood.

In short - the day EP becomes too unfriendly to bring kids along is the day that it has changed far too much for the worse.

A 10 week old? Are you actually for real?
    You can delude yourself all you want about developmental sights and sounds but what you did is irresponsible.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement