Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Electric Picnic 2016 // **Discussion Only / NO Ticket Sales / Requests** //

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,780 ✭✭✭Ken Tucky

Effects wrote: »
    Really? Your kid missed her for a few days?
    That's why I wouldn't want to have kids.

Well I will need somebody to go with in a few years, get with the program man!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 582 ✭✭✭CiarraiAbu2

Anybody get to overhead the albatross, had to give up at 12.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,654 ✭✭✭✭MJohnston

A 10 week old? Are you actually for real?
    You can delude yourself all you want about developmental sights and sounds but what you did is irresponsible.

No, it is not, but you believe what you want to.

• Registered Users Posts: 173 ✭✭judgefoozle

We brought our kids - age 6 and 9. Neither knew what to expect and we hadn't planned on bringing them until a week or two beforehand.

The odd time we could sense people looking at us with a "what-the-f***-did-you-bring-those-for-you're-ruining-MY-buzz" look but they were in the extreme minority.

Really, we didn't know what to expect bringing kids either - but glad we did, looking back. I'm wrecked as it is, so I can only imagine the trauma I'd be going through now if we gone on our own, partying hard.

The family campervan site was good and close to the entrance. Awnings were not a problem - we were asked how much space we needed for ours before parking. Staff once inside the arena generally hadn't a clue what was going on, or where things were - so after being sent the wrong direction or met with blank faces a few times, we gave up on them.

Soul Kids... I don't get it and the kids didn't seem to either. There's not much going on there - maybe it's a nice novelty if you live in a city or don't get to hang out with your kids much in the open air, but was really disappointing as I was expecting a lot from it.

Family Swimming - weather was against us, but would have been nice to try. Hot showers and fancy toilets were deadly in the family campervan site. Friendly neighbours too - we shared a few beers and had a laugh.

Last time I was at EP was 5 years ago - and with the increased capacity, there's not as much space to just sit down and hang around without being in the way of streams of people. You don't want that to be just in the Body & Soul area - it's great when it's possible all over.

Once inside the arena, hard not to spend money. 26yoyo for 4 pints is madness. Security were more than sound once they saw you had kids - I had one guy say "open your bag, but I'm not going to go through it". I opened it and showed him a plastic water bottle filled with red wine and two wine glasses. He just said "go on,ye've kids!" Happy Days! So I drank a good amount of wine on Saturday....

Carnival was great but pricey - can't beat going up in the big wheel to see the scale of it all. 20euro a pop for a family of four on most things. Fossetts circus was the winner and FREE - anyone with kids there next year, make sure to visit. There was a really cool laser show at it.

Music wise, I saw a decent selection all considering - sets seemed to be very short for a lot of them though. Got to see LCD soundsystem which I didn't think would happen, so I was happy. Hit the road Sunday evening, weather was mank and we were all wrecked so nothing to be gained from staying any longer.

Anyone annoyed with seeing kids around, I think I get it - it's an escapism weekend, you don't want any sense of reality creeping in.

I'm hoping that from the looks my 9 year old was giving some of the manky, bowsy drunks, there's a chance she'll shy away from making a sh*t of herself at concerts in the future. We also went through one of the main campsites to find portaloos... that was shocking, I don't know how/why people would stay there - Oxegen wasn't that bad, was it??? If I had seen that when I was young, it might have made an impression on me and led to a few quieter years in my 20's... but that didn't happen un/fortunately :)

Anyone considering bringing kids next year - it's a nice chance to hang around with them in unusual surroundings. I don't think I will do it again with them - mainly because of the cost and how Soul Kids didn't live up to expectations. For the amount we spent, you'd probably get ferry & accom for the likes of a week in Wales with the kids.

I will be buying early birds though... just in case.

And editing to add:
    The Electric Ireland Dance Off Tent was a good laugh - hope they have this again next year.

Also re: kids - we brought a garden cart to make sure we could make the later gigs like Noel Gallagher. So they slept and we could stay out until 11ish. Highly recommended!

The odd time we could sense people looking at us with a "what-the-f***-did-you-bring-those-for-you're-ruining-MY-buzz" look but they were in the extreme minority.

Heh, must admit I enjoyed getting that look just a little bit!

• Advertisement

I was giving out loads about the lineup and I still think it was bad and going to be worse next year probably, but I should have jsut went the full weekend. There was loads of cheap tickets last week. All weekend I was FOMOing bad and I decided to pick up 2 Sunday tickets in Limerick. I sold one in Galway Saturday night when no friends would go at late notice (bunch of losers!) and driving home 2fm played 'all my friends'. I'd to turn the radio off!

so headed up Sunday and it was great. saw talos, frankie cosmos, bit of animal collective (anyone got a setlist?), new order and skepta.
    • lineup was bad enough that I finally checked out Mindfield and the comedy tent for the first time in 6 attempts! i can't help but feel contempt for the geriatrics who look like they're camped out for the weekend there! if you don't like music, don't come to a music festival!
    • again attempted to try out Kinara kitchen but the queue is just too long. got some lovely stuff in Saba instead.
    • i've never seen a bigger crowd outside a tent than Rankin's wood when i was at frankie cosmos. was trying to figure out who it was from reading here and i think it was picture this. fair play to them, Irish and all.
    • couldn't understand how i spent so much, and i never checked my change. was probably shortchanged. pisses me off as i sometimes tip as well! i'd hate that i tipped someone who already robbed me!
    • spent the rest of Sunday night in B&S and it was as good as ever, chatted to load of randomers. eventually the rain soaked through my jacket and it was cold as well. it was that hazy kind of rain that absolutely soaks you. i headed back to my hotel around 3am I think. even my jocks were soaked! that feeling jumping into that warm, dry bed with a fresh pair of jocks ahhhhhhh. €129 well spent
    • i didn't really mind the extra crowds, it never seemed that packed. but a previous poster mentioned the old way of hanging out with friends outside Electric Arena or one of the other tents! that's such a distant memory, impossible now with the crowds.
    • song of the festival was Your Silent Face. 3rd time seeing New Order and I was hoping they'd play more of the new album as I think it's class. but i suppose that's what you get with a festival set.
    • despite the rain the ground held up spectacularly. stradbally always had good drainage. compare it to the slugfest of the mud at Body&Soul festival this year which was no fun.
    • there was A LOT of Tipperary jerseys going around the Sunday. i thought it was tradition to never show matches at EP with people having to go into Stradbally. not complaining at all, just shows that the festival has changed

so i'm def buying tickets this Friday and going full weekend again next year. i'll go every year until they get rid of the Body&Soul area, that'll be the final straw

Why do people have such an issue with the amount of tipp jerseys? Are people not allowed enjoy music and gaa?

• Registered Users Posts: 748 ✭✭✭declanleo

TherapyBoy wrote: »
    Le Galaxie I think. Any night that ends with Underworld is a good one in my book!

ahhhh thats where i was at 3am saturday

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,115 ✭✭✭asteroids over berlin

MJohnston wrote: »

Course it is! far too young

• Registered Users Posts: 748 ✭✭✭declanleo

Someone said further back that Melvin Benn stated a guitar band will headline next year to which someone said,Radiohead. I personally think it will be the Kings of Leon. I'm waiting until the line up to decide on my participation as i thought this year was pretty low on must see acts. I had a good time as usual but after 11 years and some fantastic acts over the years i need a better line up.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,644 ✭✭✭Seathrun66

A 10 week old? Are you actually for real?
    You can delude yourself all you want about developmental sights and sounds but what you did is irresponsible.

I fully agree MJohnson, and you can do without the misguided judgementalism offered to you.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,098 ✭✭✭scruff monkey
    Snarky Snark Snark

declanleo wrote: »
    Someone said further back that Melvin Benn stated a guitar band will headline next year to which someone said, R-word. I personally think it will be the Kings of Leon. I'm waiting until the line up to decide on my participation as i thought this year was pretty low on must see acts. I had a good time as usual but after 11 years and some fantastic acts over the years i need a better line up.

Thought it was one of them plays guitar? I really hope it's not Kings of Leon though if it was it would keep a tent nicely for a decent band (see SFA vs Chemical Bros.)

Anyone got a linky to said interview?

Course it is! far too young

Never too young, sure he'll be having his first yokes in a couple of months at Metropolis festival. Mad into Moderat so he is.

Snarky Snark Snark

Never too young, sure he'll be having his first yokes in a couple of months at Metropolis festival. Mad into Moderat so he is.

You have obviously failed as a parent, any right thinking child would be gagging for Grace Jones.

• Registered Users Posts: 130 ✭✭JamieHP

Wasn't there but I was just listening to Jenny Greene's set with RTE CO wonder are they going to do another show like the way Pete Tong is doing a few dates in the UK with it, would be really great to see something like that in the point, would sell quite well too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 310 ✭✭LG1234

How come the chemical brothers went off for an encore, they usually play right through? They did that instead of playing Believe which was annoying. Great set otherwise, escape velocity was incredible and the crowd went nuts for it

• Registered Users Posts: 2 FadGadget

Had a blast. It’s one of the few times you’ll get to have a dance with the bourgeois media classes on a field in Laois, who of course get in for free, and the great unwashed, who of course get a shake down. 3 days of Peace, Music, and flattering media coverage. It warms the heart.

Highlights:

Mark E Smith lobbing a bottle of piss at Leo Varadkar in the Mindfield area.

A bag of James Murphy’s signature brand Coffee beans being bounced off the frontman of LCD Soundsystem's head as he sang ’Never Had An Edge’ (Mr. Smith, that you?)

Lows:

A group of teenyboppers filling a bong with what looked like some kind of Nivea product in the Jimi Hendrix campsite Monday morning. Curiosity getting the better of me.

All joking aside, I thought Animal Collective were fab.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,217 ✭✭✭✭MadYaker

I don't recall anyone throwing anything at James during LCDs set?

Was Oscar Wilde really that bad?? The people around us didn't piss or sh!t anywhere other than the toilets. The place was a mess by Monday morning alright. Loads of tents and rubbish left behind. There was people talking and drinking at all hours but nobody impinged on our experience at all and we did the same. I always camped in Jimi Hendrix before so maybe that affected my view :pac:

Snarky Snark Snark

On saturday night, we went through Wilde to get to the rave in the woods, it looked like a cesspit from the lower levels of hell, the two I was with who are much younger than I am thought it was utterly disgusting.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,518 ✭✭✭pah

This was the state of it Monday 1pm

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,967 ✭✭✭Synode

On saturday night, we went through Wilde to get to the rave in the woods, it looked like a cesspit from the lower levels of hell, the two I was with who are much younger than I am thought it was utterly disgusting.

It's nothing new. Always been like that since I started going (06 was my first)

• Advertisement
    Snarky Snark Snark

Synode wrote: »
    It's nothing new. Always been like that since I started going (06 was my first)

That's really not a good reflection on us as festival goers and I don't understand why they don't enforce good site layout, it's not hard.
    pah wrote: »
    This was the state of it Monday 1pm

Pic/linky missing?

• Registered Users Posts: 182 ✭✭Canneverfindit

Still feeling so sad its all over.
    I dont understand where that weekend went. It was far too quick this time round.
    I want it to be this day last week - can anyone make that happen for me??

Whoever said up thread (sorry - cant bring myself to go looking back right now) that they spent yesterday contemplating what their doing with their life - same. Totally sympathise. I sat in a hot bath for most of Monday evening questioning every decision I've ever made, ever.

So as the fear has slightly began to subside, the obligatory post picnic cold/ flu has kicked in. Spent all night in bed with a box of Kleenex and I HAVE to work today.

On working - I work with money. A lot of money. And I've been doing so for years.

I've just had to use a calculator to work out 6 x 7 because I just couldnt trust myself. Blank mind.

Is anyone still in this sort of state or am I just a complete disgrace??!

• Registered Users Posts: 19,661 ✭✭✭✭everlast75

Still feeling so sad its all over.
    I dont understand where that weekend went. It was far too quick this time round.
    I want it to be this day last week - can anyone make that happen for me??

Whoever said up thread (sorry - cant bring myself to go looking back right now) that they spent yesterday contemplating what their doing with their life - same. Totally sympathise. I sat in a hot bath for most of Monday evening questioning every decision I've ever made, ever.

So as the fear has slightly began to subside, the obligatory post picnic cold/ flu has kicked in. Spent all night in bed with a box of Kleenex and I HAVE to work today.

On working - I work with money. A lot of money. And I've been doing so for years.

I've just had to use a calculator to work out 6 x 7 because I just couldnt trust myself. Blank mind.

Is anyone still in this sort of state or am I just a complete disgrace??!

It's kinda funny, I have suffered with the post Picnic fear as long as I've been going (about 8 years or so) and its only lately am I reading online that others are experiencing it and by a large number too.

I'm relieved that it wasn't just me and some sort of adverse but unique mental reaction to the alcohol. Somehow reading other people's fear is comforting so to answer your question, yes people are in that sort of state and no - you are not a disgrace.

It will be better soon! *sends virtual hug*

everlast75 wrote: »
    It's kinda funny, I have suffered with the post Picnic fear as long as I've been going (about 8 years or so) and its only lately am I reading online that others are experiencing it and by a large number too.

I'm relieved that it wasn't just me and some sort of adverse but unique mental reaction to the alcohol. Somehow reading other people's fear is comforting so to answer your question, yes people are in that sort of state and no - you are not a disgrace.

I love you.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,247 ✭✭✭Tigger99

I've never enjoyed EP as much as this year so maybe that's why I have this overwhelming sadness that nothing is ever going to be right with the world again. I wasn't drinking a whole pile so can't even blame that. I'm in the absolute horrors today, night sweats all night, have lost my voice and am completely on edge. I'm here with a scarf wrapped around me as it's the nearest I'll get to a hug this morn.

Sweet baby jesus :(

Great weekend tho :D

• Registered Users Posts: 19,661 ✭✭✭✭everlast75

I think this adequately sums it all up..

14114873_1070168753090750_8601677762368942709_o.jpg

I think this adequately sums it all up..

14114873_1070168753090750_8601677762368942709_o.jpg

I laughed way too hard at this because two minutes ago I was looking through FB and I have a 'going to the festival' pic (of myself) and a 'coming home from the festival pic' and honest to Jaysus.... theres no words. There isnt :D:rolleyes:

Tigger99 wrote: »
    I've never enjoyed EP as much as this year so maybe that's why I have this overwhelming sadness that nothing is ever going to be right with the world again. I wasn't drinking a whole pile so can't even blame that. I'm in the absolute horrors today, night sweats all night, have lost my voice and am completely on edge. I'm here with a scarf wrapped around me as it's the nearest I'll get to a hug this morn.

Sweet baby jesus :(

Great weekend tho :D

I'm sorry to hear you're feeling this way - genuinely BUT I have to admit to being a horrible person and am comforted by the fact there are so many of us in the same boat...

• Registered Users Posts: 192 ✭✭strawberryb0y

I stayed in Wilde this year and last year. It's crowded alright but it's friendly and relaxed and I've never seen a hint of trouble.
    I suppose I have to remember this is boards, where the limit of acceptable fun is set very, very low

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,780 ✭✭✭Ken Tucky

Were all in it together...im a 43 year old male and i had tears in my eyes yesterday....WTF.

Happy to be back in work today...something i never say

It gets easier, wish i was 20 years younger:mad:

Till next year. We go again

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement