Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Electric Picnic 2016 // **Discussion Only / NO Ticket Sales / Requests** //

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,536 ✭✭✭former total

In fairness, camping in the Oscar Wilde campsite and complaining about noise, mess and young fellas being rowdy is a bit mad.

If you're not a noisy, messy, rowdy young fella, then you've no business in there in the first place.

• Registered Users Posts: 182 ✭✭Canneverfindit

Ken Tucky wrote: »
    Were all in it together...im a 43 year old male and i had tears in my eyes yesterday....WTF.

Happy to be back in work today...something i never say

It gets easier, wish i was 20 years younger:mad:

Till next year. We go again

Can we all not just meet up somewhere at lunchtime, not look each other in the eye, not talk to each other- have one big, massive group hug and then f*ck back to work and never mention it ever again?

• Registered Users Posts: 510 ✭✭✭CdeC

MJohnston wrote: »
    The odd time we could sense people looking at us with a "what-the-f***-did-you-bring-those-for-you're-ruining-MY-buzz" look but they were in the extreme minority.

Heh, must admit I enjoyed getting that look just a little bit!

I love that kids are there.
    I do get a bit messy to be honest but usually later at night as the night wears on.

Kids really bring a sense that it's for everyone and gives me some hope that my new parents friends will one day get back to normality.

• Registered Users Posts: 182 ✭✭Canneverfindit

In fairness, camping in the Oscar Wilde campsite and complaining about noise, mess and young fellas being rowdy is a bit mad.

If you're not a noisy, messy, rowdy young fella, then you've no business in there in the first place.

Ah you're right of course. There were plenty around us (in Chaplin), including ourselves being noisy and messy and having the craic etc. Wilde was horrendous last year and I'll happily complain about it. Also met a friend who was camping in Wilde this year and she was genuinely sick at the thoughts of going back - the group of lads next to her were genuinely scaring her.

Like I said here yesterday - we're all at a festival to have a ball. Anyone who complains about a bit of craic is ridiculous BUT I dont see how you can have less fun by sh1tting in a toilet when you need to go - instead of sh1tting around/ in someones tent. I dont know how you can have less fun by simply not pissing on tents/ people or physically hurting someone.

^^ not festival soundness at all imo.
    Theres just no need for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 510 ✭✭✭CdeC

Ah there is a world of difference between

"ah they're just young and loud and having a good time"

or

"they're young and loud and it seems like their mission is to either get in a fight or ruin the experience for as many people as possible."

If it's the second lot then you can be sure that most people feel they are not welcome and EP was a breath of fresh air when it first came on the scene as it got you away from the scummers who just cannot contain themselves,

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 192 ✭✭strawberryb0y

Again I'll say I camped there and saw no hassle whatsoever. Generally people sitting around drinking cans.
    Maybe there were some unfortunate incidents in Wilde but they are being grossly over exaggerated here

• Registered Users Posts: 1,834 ✭✭✭Useful.Idiot

I camped in Wilde and knew several groups camped in different places there and didn't see or hear about anything too out of order. The place was messy but not really much different from any other camp-sites I walked through (Hendrix and Joplin). There was some loud rough looking lads camped close enough to us but all they did was repeatedly scream some poor Conor McGregor impressions. That said all this talk of cleaner and more comfortable camping tempts me more every year.

All this mention of people sh1tting everywhere in Wilde is surprising. I hope I didn't accidentally walk through any at some stage.

Was an amazing weekend, still suffering the post-fest depression a bit like those above. Though I think the serotonin levels are nearly back to normal.

Didn't think the crowd was particularly rough or anything. If anything I thought it was rougher in previous years (2013,2014).

Music highlights for me were Glass Animals, Chem Bros, LCD Soundsystem and Le Galaxie at the Other Voices stage. Got a ticket to Glass Animals' Olympia yesterday as I loved them as much.

• Registered Users Posts: 556 ✭✭✭deeks

Just getting around to summing up my thoughts now.

Wow....what a weekend.

Had major fears about the increased capacity but it didn't really bother me in the end. To be honest I remember Sunday last year being worse for queues / crowds etc than sunday this year.

Stayed in Pink Moon and would never go back to general camping. I'm just getting a little bit older and the handiness of the tents being there / separate entrance to the arena etc are well worth it in my opinion.

Music wise my highlights were the following:

LCD Soundsystem
    Super Furry Animals
    Editors
    Cathy Davey in Hazel Wood late friday night was amazing
    Toots and the Maytals was a great start to Sunday
    Wild Beasts
    Bat For Lashes
    ABC were a great fun way to kick off Friday for me

I also saw the Bowie tribute on Friday night closing the Salty Dog. When it was good it was brilliant but my god there was some absolutely awful parts in it as well.

Overall I had one of my better picnics and in general the fears I had about crowd / line up etc were allayed.

Bring on 2017.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,247 ✭✭✭Tigger99

I'm sorry to hear you're feeling this way - genuinely BUT I have to admit to being a horrible person and am comforted by the fact there are so many of us in the same boat...

Not horrible just human :)

• Registered Users Posts: 344 ✭✭room_149

Great weekend, the fear has almost fully subsided after 3 days of caning it.
    From my hazy, chemical & booze added recollections, Spud Murphy and his band were great (he must have a gaff in Durrow or somewhere now at this stage. Man's been there every year in his ill fitting shirts now for as long I can remember) Tod Terje, the Furys, Le Galaxie, Gallagher, Daniel Avery, Plutonic Dust, Heckling Pat Kenny, the Rubberbandits, Skepta all good. Sitting at fire during the rain in Body & Soul, drinking the hot potin from that stall in the Global green really took the edge off Sunday night.
    The little bar behind the salty Dog was great craic too- well worth a visit if you have a pass.
    Little Sims is a star in the making, good to hear more hip hop/Grime etc about the place, the sound was a bit iffy for some of the sets though.
    I enjoyed the Wild Beasts, but the Editors should have been on later & the main stage- maybe the same slot the Manics got last year?
    Laughed my arse off at the millennials having the craic in the Hendrix & Wilde each time I passed through. Be young and be mental lads- we all did it. Maybe go a bit easier on the Special K, it doesn't make you waterproof nor does it allow you to sit in sh1te unscathed.
    Only have one minor gripe with some of the music- too much anemic pop. Also Gorgon City and a lot of those other pop house acts all sounded like they were playing Robyn S 'Show me love' from 1993 over and over again (https://www.theguardian.com/music/2015/sep/08/show-me-love-90s-classic-track-stonebridge-robin-s
    MAd ted.
    Off to power house the dirt off the campervan now- see you all in 2017 (minus my kids of course ;) )

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,518 ✭✭✭pah

Pic/linky missing?

Sorry. File too large

PHOTO_20160905_125848.jpg

PHOTO_20160905_125854.jpg
    It was way worse than these pics though.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,098 ✭✭✭scruff monkey
    Snarky Snark Snark

There really is no need for that sort of shyte.

I know not every one who camps in there is a git leaving the place looking like WW3 had just happened, but enough of them do for it to look like a fly tippers paradise.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,892 ✭✭✭Rfrip

Can't face the 2017 thread

Too soon...too soon

There really is no need for that sort of shyte.

I know not every one who camps in there is a git leaving the place looking like WW3 had just happened, but enough of them do for it to look like a fly tippers paradise.

Absolutely. You can clearly see in the right foreground that whoever was there cleaned up after themselves.

• Registered Users Posts: 579 ✭✭✭keyboard_cat

pah wrote: »
    Sorry. File too large

It was way worse than these pics though.

Jeez thats not bad where was that? i was in Hendrix and it was way worse when we left on monday.
    They need a system like secret garden party in the uk. you pay a deposit of £10 with the tickets and receive 2 bin bags at the gate. and you get your £10 back when you return them full
    that said 2 bin bags is possibly excessive myself and my girlfriend only managed to fill half a bin bag between us with cans and such.

Snarky Snark Snark

Jeez thats not bad where was that? i was in Hendrix and it was way worse when we left on monday.
    They need a system like secret garden party in the uk. you pay a deposit of £10 with the tickets and receive 2 bin bags at the gate. and you get your £10 back when you return them full
    that said 2 bin bags is possibly excessive myself and my girlfriend only managed to fill half a bin bag between us with cans and such.

Eh, yes, yes that is bad, you shouldn't need financial encouragement to not litter all over the place.

It's like asking how much sh1t is acceptable on your shoes, the only valid answer is none.

• Registered Users Posts: 349 ✭✭Reggie noble

Is there an official announcement yet when next years tickets go on sale ?

Snarky Snark Snark

Friday morning.

http://www.electricpicnic.ie/content/electric-picnic-2015-tickets

Oscar wilde. Agreed doesn't look too bad in pics but it was like that across the whole site.

Plenty tents in Pink Moon with **** dumped in and around them Monday also. I just don't get it I would never do that.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,793 ✭✭✭✭The Nal

Yeah. Here.

• Advertisement
    Snarky Snark Snark

pah wrote: »
    Oscar wilde. Agreed doesn't look too bad in pics but it was like that across the whole site.

Plenty tents in Pink Moon with **** dumped in and around them Monday also. I just don't get it I would never do that.

yeah, saw a bit of that on Monday morning leaving, it's not like they didn't have large bins every 40 feet or so that you could put your stuff into.

The Nal wrote: »
    Yeah. Here.

How long did it take u to do that

• Registered Users Posts: 263 ✭✭marxcoo

I had a great weekend as always at EP but I noticed a definite change this year (this is my 7th picnic). It was much more crowded than previous years and the demographic is way younger. I'm not giving out about the Youth but I think the festival has lost some of it's charm unfortunately. It isn't quite the chilled out, relaxed vibe of previous years. Obviously, that's to be expected but it did make me yearn a bit for the good ol' days!!
    That aside, it was still a great weekend - didn't make it to a tenth of the things I wanted to because there was so much to see! For anyone looking for a nice place to camp, free of ****heads next year head to Janis Joplin. It's bit more of a walk but the back of it was half empty. Was a joy for the oldies :)

Snarky Snark Snark

same length this took

http://bfy.tw/5z

• Registered Users Posts: 19,661 ✭✭✭✭everlast75

The Nal wrote: »
    Yeah. Here.

http://lmgtfy.com/?q=let+me+google+that+for+you

:D:D

*Edit - Scruff Monkey beat me to it :D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 238 ✭✭wacotaco

Anyone get code yet?
    I send my proof yesterday but nothing yet.
    I bought my ticket in store so no booking reference or email reference which they asked for in the submission form

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,596 ✭✭✭threein99

marxcoo wrote: »
    I had a great weekend as always at EP but I noticed a definite change this year (this is my 7th picnic). It was much more crowded than previous years and the demographic is way younger. I'm not giving out about the Youth but I think the festival has lost some of it's charm unfortunately. It isn't quite the chilled out, relaxed vibe of previous years. Obviously, that's to be expected but it did make me yearn a bit for the good ol' days!!
    That aside, it was still a great weekend - didn't make it to a tenth of the things I wanted to because there was so much to see! For anyone looking for a nice place to camp, free of ****heads next year head to Janis Joplin. It's bit more of a walk but the back of it was half empty. Was a joy for the oldies :)

Havent been to EP since 2013 but good to hear Joplin is still unspoiled :)

everlast75 wrote: »
    http://lmgtfy.com/?q=let+me+google+that+for+you

:D:D

*Edit - Scruff Monkey beat me to it :D:D

I'm very busy , it's handy having assistants to google stuff for me .

Snarky Snark Snark

wacotaco wrote: »
    Anyone get code yet?
    I send my proof yesterday but nothing yet.
    I bought my ticket in store so no booking reference or email reference which they asked for in the submission form

I don't think I got my code till the day before last year, will see if I can find the e-mail

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 263 ✭✭marxcoo

threein99 wrote: »
    Havent been to EP since 2013 but good to hear Joplin is still unspoiled :)

It's very surprising. One minute you are walking through Hendrix, which is like the inner circle of hell, and ten steps later you emerge into Joplin, which is completely serene and beautiful in comparison.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement