Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Electric Picnic 2016 // **Discussion Only / NO Ticket Sales / Requests** //

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,746 ✭✭✭BullBlackNova

maximoose wrote: »
    God I'd love for the Oxegen of 04-07 to come back

Oxegen 2008 had a cracking line up too. It was '09 when it started to go downhill.

'08 had Kings of Leon (pre-'Sex on Fire'), Interpol, Editors, REM, Rage Against the Machine, the Verve, Chemical brothers, the Raconteurs, the Prodigy, Manic Street Preachers, Bell X1, Echo & the Bunnymen, Vampire Weekend, Ian Brown, Cat Power, the National, Glen Hansard, Hot Chip, Seasick Steve, My Morning Jacket, Band of Horses, Roisin Murphy, as well as Justice, etc at the Dance Arena.

Actually, just looking, '09 had a great run of acts too - Blur, Nick Cave & the Bad Seeds, Nine Inch Nails, 2 Many Djs, TV on the Radio...

It was 2010 they added Eminem, Jay-Z, Dizzee Rascal, Black Eyed Peas, etc to the line up. I was there and it was f*cking grim.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,247 ✭✭✭Tigger99

It was 2010 they added Eminem, Jay-Z, Dizzee Rascal, Black Eyed Peas, etc to the line up. I was there and it was f*cking grim.

It sounds like a great line up. Were they not good live or was it more the crowd that was a bit grim?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,005 ✭✭✭byrneg28

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,104 ✭✭✭Pickpocket

Oxegen 2008 had a cracking line up too. It was '09 when it started to go downhill.

'08 had Kings of Leon (pre-'Sex on Fire'), Interpol, Editors, REM, Rage Against the Machine, the Verve, Chemical brothers, the Raconteurs, the Prodigy, Manic Street Preachers, Bell X1, Echo & the Bunnymen, Vampire Weekend, Ian Brown, Cat Power, the National, Glen Hansard, Hot Chip, Seasick Steve, My Morning Jacket, Band of Horses, Roisin Murphy, as well as Justice, etc at the Dance Arena.

Actually, just looking, '09 had a great run of acts too - Blur, Nick Cave & the Bad Seeds, Nine Inch Nails, 2 Many Djs, TV on the Radio...

In fairness, the line-ups were all of a high quality until 2010. The rot set in when the clientele started to change. For me that was 2005, for others it may have been a bit later. I definitely noticed a change the year Snoop Dog was added but what's interesting is that it had been getting progressively scummier year on year since it was Witnness, irrespective of the line-up.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 91 ✭✭Space Shanty

Tigger99 wrote: »

It sounds like a great line up. Were they not good live or was it more the crowd that was a bit grim?

Black Eyed Peas are absolute gash and Dizzee Rascal is as bad apart from maybe two tunes... both are just early teen commercial pop dressed up as something more.

At least Eminem and Jay-Z have some tunes to back themselves up, but the crowd they'd attract, especially Eminem, is probably what would cause those going for years to start looking elsewhere.

Yeah it's the crowd those artists brought with them. Eminem attracts the absolute dregs of society. Including me, by the way. I've seen him twice. :P

• Registered Users Posts: 2,738 ✭✭✭MyPeopleDrankTheSoup

Pickpocket wrote: »
    In fairness, the line-ups were all of a high quality until 2010. The rot set in when the clientele started to change. For me that was 2005,

yep, Oxegen 2005 put me off festivals for 5 years until friends dragged me along to my first Electric Picnic in 2010. i couldn't believe the difference, fcuking raging that I missed first 5 years of EP. i know another guy who didn't go to another festival until body&soul 2015! 10 years after oxegen 2005.

i remember the Sunday night in that Oxegen campsite, roaming bands of scobes going around setting tents on fire, just bad vibes. but it was the organisation as well, no fcuking food apart from shíte burgers,chips. there was a standard cheese toastie place in campsite and we lived off that. and then a van going around from 9am Monday morning in the campsite roaring on loudspeaker that the festival is over and fúck off home

Dizzee Rascal is as bad apart from maybe two tunes... both are just early teen commercial pop dressed up as something more.

The irony here is that those two tunes you like are probably (correct me if I'm wrong) the type of stuff that brings the riff raff.

His debut album is sensational and devoid of any kind of teen appeal, certainly on this side of the water.

But in 2010 he was post 'Bonkers', hence the crowd he attracted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,746 ✭✭✭BullBlackNova

Black Eyed Peas are absolute gash and Dizzee Rascal is as bad apart from maybe two tunes... both are just early teen commercial pop dressed up as something more.

At least Eminem and Jay-Z have some tunes to back themselves up, but the crowd they'd attract, especially Eminem, is probably what would cause those going for years to start looking elsewhere.

This, basically.

The issue that Oxegen had was that there was f*ck all to do once the music stopped so people tended to just drink. My experience in 2008 was of a fairly even crowd that got drunk but very little trouble.

In 2010, I saw people hurling cans and bottles at eachother, general trouble everywhere and people who openly admitted they were waiting until the arena opened so they could ransack tents.

But, even leaving aside pricks like that, the mix in the line up didn't benefit anyone. Arcade Fire drew a very small crowd for their Main Stage show because they were on just before Jay-Z. The same happened for quite a few acts and I remember a horde of people leaving Muse when Calvin Harris started elsewhere.

This kind of weird mix happened all weekend - the line up just didn't click.

I went to my first EP the following year and couldn't believe the difference. It was like a different world - everything ran relatively seamlessly, there was so much to do and everyone was so chilled out.

EDIT: For what it was worth, Jay-Z was great live and Arcade Fire, who are a big favourite of mine live and on record, were ****e because they played a load of stuff from the not-yet-released 'The Suburbs.'

• Advertisement

it was the organisation as well, no fcuking food apart from shíte burgers,chips. there was a standard cheese toastie place in campsite and we lived off that. and then a van going around from 9am Monday morning in the campsite roaring on loudspeaker that the festival is over and fúck off home

Looking back it's quite hard to believe the way people were treated at Witnness and Oxegen. The total lack of everything except alcohol, chips and burgers. You were there to spend money, simple as that. Like you I remember the security at Witnness kicking tents at 9am. People that were half cut from alcohol being sent back to their cars to drive home. Unfortunately it took a tragedy on the road a number of years later for the organisers to reflect on their responsibilities.

Electric Picnic is virtually unrecognisable these days but at the very least there's still food for the soul there. Things to see and be enthused by that don't necessarily involve drinking or spending money. I didn't drink this year and couldn't have spent more than 50 quid. But so much to do and see outside of the music. In fact the music was just the cherry on top. Witnness and Oxegen weren't like that. I didn't drink at my very first Witnness either and that was a fundamentally different, and rather limited, experience.

I remember Golden Discs (I think?) used to have a stall at Witnness. All they stocked was albums by artists playing at the festival. I remember picking up a Felix Da Housecat album the morning after he performed. That was quite a cool idea. Is there anywhere at EP that sells CDs, particularly of Body & Soul artists? I realise CD sales are down but it might be a decent way of profiling those smaller artists. I'd certainly have picked up some albums if I had seen any last weekend.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,724 ✭✭✭Arne_Saknussem

yep, Oxegen 2005 put me off festivals for 5 years until friends dragged me along to my first Electric Picnic in 2010. i couldn't believe the difference, fcuking raging that I missed first 5 years of EP. i know another guy who didn't go to another festival until body&soul 2015! 10 years after oxegen 2005.

i remember the Sunday night in that Oxegen campsite, roaming bands of scobes going around setting tents on fire, just bad vibes. but it was the organisation as well, no fcuking food apart from shíte burgers,chips. there was a standard cheese toastie place in campsite and we lived off that. and then a van going around from 9am Monday morning in the campsite roaring on loudspeaker that the festival is over and fúck off home

2005 was my last Oxegen too, luckily enough i headed along to EP 2005 and it's still the best, most chilled out festival with the best crowd i've been to.

Not a single scummer!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,097 ✭✭✭scruff monkey
    Snarky Snark Snark

I remember Golden Discs (I think?) used to have a stall at Witnness. All they stocked was albums by artists playing at the festival. I remember picking up a Felix Da Housecoat album the morning after he performed. That was quite a cool idea. Is there anywhere at EP that sells CDs, particularly of Body & Souls artists? I realise CD sales are down but it might be a decent way of profiling those smaller artists. I'd certainly have picked up some albums if I had seen any last weekend.

It would make sense to do it at the merch stand

• Registered Users Posts: 12,793 ✭✭✭✭The Nal

I remember Golden Discs (I think?) used to have a stall at Witnness. All they stocked was albums by artists playing at the festival. I remember picking up a Felix Da Housecoat album the morning after he performed. That was quite a cool idea. Is there anywhere at EP that sells CDs, particularly of Body & Souls artists? I realise CD sales are down but it might be a decent way of profiling those smaller artists. I'd certainly have picked up some albums if I had seen any last weekend.

Go to a museum if you want to hear physical copies of music, grandad.

I think the Sad Old Sh1ts Museum in Oldsville has a Phonograph and some cylinders of negro vaudeville songs for you.

Heres a song for you to listen to in the meantime.

It would make sense to do it at the merch stand

Or even a small stand in B&S for just those artists. It's not unusual for smaller acts to sell CDRs at gigs. Surely it wouldn't be too big a thing to implement. Some might think it tacky or not in keeping with B&S but I'd really welcome the opportunity to support the artists.

The Nal wrote: »
    Go to a museum if you want to hear physical copies of music, grandad.

Nah, I'm only 31, but I've put a fair few quid into my audio set-up over the years so YouTube doesn't cut it for me. Plus I'm from a generation that likes to pay artists for their work.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,706 ✭✭✭sadie06

Or even a small stand in B&S for just those artists. It's not unusual for smaller acts to sell CDRs at gigs. Surely it wouldn't be too big a thing to implement. Some might think it tacky or not in keeping with B&S but I'd really welcome the opportunity to support the artists.

Meilyr Jones was selling his CD after his gig in the Cosby Tent this year. I think it's a great idea to buy music on an emotional impulse after a live performance.

• Registered Users Posts: 941 ✭✭✭grudgehugger

Ok. Think I'm finally starting to feel back to normal and ready to write about my weekend. Definitely didn't feel this clear-headed as the work day came to a close Tuesday or Wednesday.

My random thoughts / personal experiences from EP 16...

* Overall possibly my most enjoyable weekend @ EP yet (8th time in a row there, missed the early ones).

* Crowd generally very very sound. I had zero hassle with anyone all through the weekend, just good vibes. Minor exception was seeing a youngun flying kick another youngun at Joey Badass, however all involved seemed to find it all hilarious so no harm done I guess! None of my group or neighbours had any horror stories - good vibes all round :)

* Camped in Pink Moon for the first time and there is no going back - unless to family camping. Life was just so simple. No-one falling on your tent, enough room for our group to sit around in camping chairs without people walking through us every 5 minutes, no toilet queue all weekend, good showers available (although hot tub visits meant I only used them Monday morning) and tent located a stone's throw from the area. Bliss.

* Music highlights were Mura Masa and Little Simz (although I wish she seemed a little less p*ssed off with the crowd). Also had an amazing time at various sets like These Charming Men (much singing along), Chemical Brothers, LCD, New Order and Billy Scurry @ Red Bull and many many more. From what I saw of Whitney and Joey Badass, I wish I saw more.

* Never spent less time in Body and Soul area. Spent very little time there not related to hot tubs. Is this becoming less important to the overall EP experience (not necessarily a good thing?)

* Never spent more time in Cosby & Little Big Tent. So much good stuff.

* Wasn't that impressed by Anachronica or RB Tropical Garden set-up, would like to see a bigger effort put into at least one electronic music area at the festival

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,706 ✭✭✭sadie06

It seems like most of the long reports are in, so before this thread dies, would anyone like to share their song of the festival?

Mine was this by Meilyr Jones. It nearly didn't happen as he stopped 30 seconds in thinking it was the wrong vibe and asked should he play something else. He only continued with the encouragement of those gathered.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,320 ✭✭✭fourmations

hi

someone techier than me might help...

im trying to look up youtune for clips of EP
    and everytime i enter electric picnic + band name
    im getting loads of livestream ads that i suspect are spam

any thoughts, can i filter this or something
    dying to check out a few clips but its not happening

did rte only cover saturday
    theres only one program on the player

thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

hi

thanks

Try searching through Google.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,724 ✭✭✭Arne_Saknussem

sadie06 wrote: »
    It seems like most of the long reports are in, so before this thread dies, would anyone like to share their song of the festival?

This was fairly mindblowing on Friday evening for anyone who was in the Electric Arena.

EDIT: Thought it would open at the correct time --> 1:04:50

• Registered Users Posts: 1,933 ✭✭✭H8GHOTI

hi

thanks

RTEs coverage was on Saturday night but it was a mix of Friday and Saturday they shown.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,577 ✭✭✭✭bodhrandude

Pretty sure this is from 2005. After wristband exchange the main entrance brought you in where the Salty Dog entrance is now.

You can see all the tents surrounding B&S as all this area was in the campsite going down to where Hendrix is now. Wilde was empty.

Main stage was further up the hill and at a different angle and the Electric Arena was basically behind it. 15,000 people camping with 10,000 day tickets for each day if i remember correctly!

sept-04-electric-picnic.jpg

I remember campers could come on the Friday to EP 2005 much like the way Body & Soul festival done it a few years back when the main arena was closed but goings on in the Woods. Can anyone remember the Chai Tea cafe in the campsite, there was some excellent DJs in there on the Friday night and the place was rammed, a fantastic vibe. Not to be confused with Chai Wallahs or maybe that was what these guys became, I think Chai Wallahs originated from Glastonbury festival and the crowd running the cafe in the campsite on Friday were English so I presumed they were a Glastonbury import too. I'm sure that capacity for 2005 was also 22,000 people.

If you want to get into it, you got to get out of it. (Hawkwind 1982)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,644 ✭✭✭Seathrun66

Amongst many (LCD, Whitney, Shins, Kevin Morby) this stood out for it's unexpected power (and his charisma/delivery) on the main stage on Friday. I hung on after a great ABC set and was blown away by Nas who made me miss almost all of Broken Social Scene. A great start to the weekend.

Mine was this by Meilyr Jones. It nearly didn't happen as he stopped 30 seconds in thinking it was the wrong vibe and asked should he play something else. He only continued with the encouragement of those gathered.

I didn't really have much songs over the weekend apart from obvious LCD ones most of the stuff I was listening too was sizzling electronica, but I song I grew to like while watching the New Order set is Waiting for the Siren's Call. Having just listened to that version I much prefer the updated electronica version I heard at EP.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,430 ✭✭✭run_Forrest_run

did anyone here check out Adam Beyer's set? I wasn't at the picnic this year but from some of the clips I've seen on youtube it looked fantastic, a bit like Hawtin's set a few years back.

This clip of LCD was very well done, it seems like it was taken on the stage the quality is that good.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,708 ✭✭✭Stillill42

Song of the weekend for me was Floridada by Animal Collective. Massive stuff. So much brilliant music though. Whitney were great, Margaret glaspy, Julia Jacklin, Shins, Broken Social Scene, Brian Deady, Cathy Davey. ..the list is endless.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement