Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Electric Picnic 2016 // **Discussion Only / NO Ticket Sales / Requests** //

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,708 ✭✭✭Stillill42

Wow. Can't believe I didn't mention These Charming Men on Friday. What a way to kick the weekend off. Magic.

Talk to me about the luxury camping options folks. How much were pink moon and the little barna sheds?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,577 ✭✭✭✭bodhrandude

If you want to get into it, you got to get out of it. (Hawkwind 1982)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,967 ✭✭✭Synode

LCD Someone Great

Love that song. Great to see it live

• Registered Users Posts: 10,654 ✭✭✭✭MJohnston

I remember campers could come on the Friday to EP 2005 much like the way Body & Soul festival done it a few years back when the main arena was closed but goings on in the Woods. Can anyone remember the Chai Tea cafe in the campsite, there was some excellent DJs in there on the Friday night and the place was rammed, a fantastic vibe. Not to be confused with Chai Wallahs or maybe that was what these guys became, I think Chai Wallahs originated from Glastonbury festival and the crowd running the cafe in the campsite on Friday were English so I presumed they were a Glastonbury import too. I'm sure that capacity for 2005 was also 22,000 people.

Chai Wallahs was there in 2005, and I believe they were the tent that was also selling mineral crystals. I bought a heap of menthol there because it cleared out my sinuses fantastically!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,810 ✭✭✭Charlie

Still getting goosebumps fondly looking back on some of the weekend's best bits.

Nothing will top coming up at Mura Musa just as he played Firefly, signing every word with some random Cork lad and his American girlfriend. Moments like that are what makes life's 9-5 grind worth it all.

If anyone has a video of Mura Musa Firefly from his EP set, lash it up. It would be greatly appreciated.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,097 ✭✭✭scruff monkey
    Snarky Snark Snark

Stillill42 wrote: »
    Talk to me about the luxury camping options folks. How much were pink moon and the little barna sheds?

Prices will be up tomorrow for them,.

Stillill42 wrote: »

Prices will be up tomorrow for them,.
    Ta.

Aaaah Body and Soul.

14316865_10208763901989082_509474108912075801_n.jpg?oh=ad088b175efbc9106c29081a02716a89&oe=584C9BD5&__gda__=1485100778_094c0bbe4f7b103661a3b505015dd2bd

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,104 ✭✭✭Pickpocket

did anyone here check out Adam Beyer's set? I wasn't at the picnic this year but from some of the clips I've seen on youtube it looked fantastic, a bit like Hawtin's set a few years back.

It was straight-up techno. Meat & two veg stuff but enjoyable nonetheless. He's not the most adventurous of DJs but I'm glad to see he's back pushing the faster tempos. I thought Hawtin in 2012 was pretty limp so I certainly enjoyed Beyer a lot more.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 176 ✭✭Northernsoul

For any of you that were there - this was a great finish in the woods!! All three hours on this link (Sunday 1am-4am)

https://m.mixcloud.com/Sunday_Times/sunday-times-live-at-ep-2016/

• Registered Users Posts: 5,097 ✭✭✭scruff monkey
    Snarky Snark Snark

Time to can this thread, tickets for next year sorted.

ciao

• Registered Users Posts: 2,501 ✭✭✭PabloAndRoy

sadie06 wrote: »
    It seems like most of the long reports are in, so before this thread dies, would anyone like to share their song of the festival?

This one was definitely my group's tune of the weekend. Apologies if you were subjected to this being played from our soundsystem multiple times over the weekend in the campervan field.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,706 ✭✭✭sadie06

This one was definitely my group's tune of the weekend. Apologies if you were subjected to this being played from our soundsystem multiple times over the weekend in the campervan field.

Great tune!

Totally forgot to say we used your app again. Cheers buddy! Worked a treat.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,582 ✭✭✭Swashbuckler

Yeah the app is a godsend. The large font helps at 2am in the morning with blurry vision and the clash icon jumping out at you. Cheers Pablo.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,501 ✭✭✭PabloAndRoy

Yeah the app is a godsend. The large font helps at 2am in the morning with blurry vision and the clash icon jumping out at you. Cheers Pablo.

You are both most welcome.

I guess if you have clashes at 2am, you're doing it right ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 21 PerryGroves7

You are both most welcome.

I guess if you have clashes at 2am, you're doing it right ;)

Didn't get a chance to use your app this year as I'm an iPhone user (most helpful last year) but even still, I really appreciate you making these apps for us all to benefit from. It really does embody the Electric Picnic spirit that We've all come to love so dearly.

On the note of DBFC, gutted to have missed them after really getting into their stuff pre-picnic thanks to others on here recommending.

Ok so a few thoughts now I've mostly decompressed.

Most anticipated on the undercard:
    Glass Animals
    What a juicy set this was. They now have two very good albums to play from with very little filler and this was a groovy, bouncy set. In retrospect I cannot believe they played twice in 2014 and I missed them both. Glass Animals in B&S, what a match made in heaven that was!

Most anticipated Headliner:
    LCD Soundsystem
    Phenomenal. Something I honestly never thought I'd get a chance to see so that was really special. Someone Great brought a tear to the eye. A few friends were left slightly underwhelmed but I think it was more down to a perceived lack of energy/enthusiasm.

Surprise
    New Order
    Really didn't have any great expectations for this. I'm well aware who they are and I know a few tunes but this set just blew me away. In fairness I was coming up and in a particularly good place at the time, but I had tears in my eyes and a smile on my face. To close with Love Will Tear Us Apart was the icing on the cake.

Finally
    Big shout goes to Bell X1. As a 33 year old lad from the south east of England (probably not their target demographic!), I'd never even heard of Bell X1 until 4 years ago. They quickly became a favourite and I'd been waiting to see them ever since. All the folk around me seemed to be loving it and I thought Paul and co put on a great show. With my many promises to leave these shores in favour of Ireland...I Am The Great Defector!

Edit: one last final mention has to go to my Irish friends. This is my third picnic having first gone in '14 and I can honestly say that for me it is the people you are with who make it. I've been with the same core group every time and they're the soundest bastards I've ever met. The festival is amazing and I hope to keep coming back every year, but I couldn't do it without them.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,657 ✭✭✭✭everlast75

As for song of the festival, I enjoyed performances of songs from bands who I already knew very well.

But this song is one that stood out in the spotify playlist and was banged out with gusto, and I think its class and the performance of it was too.

everlast75 wrote: »
    As for song of the festival, I enjoyed performances of songs from bands who I already knew very well.

But this song is one that stood out in the spotify playlist and was banged out with gusto, and I think its class and the performance of it was too.

As I was walking past Rankins Wood en route to Jack Garratt in the EA i heard the bounce of Joey's Hazeus View. I can't post a link here but it's an absolute beauty. What ensued was an emotional tug of war. Friends or Bada$$.
    I went with friends...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,005 ✭✭✭byrneg28

everlast75 wrote: »

Awful song in my opinion!

95' Til Infinity personal highlight!

did anyone here check out Adam Beyer's set? I wasn't at the picnic this year but from some of the clips I've seen on youtube it looked fantastic, a bit like Hawtin's set a few years back.

Yeah was decent, nice flow but very predictable and not adventurous as pickpocket said.

Daniel Avery was sensational - highlight of the techno front in my opinion

https://www.instagram.com/p/BJ7-O10g2LH/

• Registered Users Posts: 4,314 ✭✭✭BOHtox

greg090 wrote: »
    lots of people asking for ket at the festival..

rave in the woods saturday and sunday was ridiculous, every second person asking for pills.

Amateurs. Back in my day you brought all your drugs in with you

• Registered Users Posts: 2,738 ✭✭✭MyPeopleDrankTheSoup

sadie06 wrote: »
    It seems like most of the long reports are in, so before this thread dies, would anyone like to share their song of the festival?

New Order - Your Silent Face

Nobody asked but here's my SOTF for all the other EPs I went to. I define it as the song on repeat on the drive home.

[2010] Robyn - Dancing On My Own
    [2012] Todd Terje - Inspector Norse (he was in Casa Bacardi)
    [2014] Rustie - Attak
    [2015] Le Galaxie - Put The Chain On

• Registered Users Posts: 10,654 ✭✭✭✭MJohnston

Song of the festival for me was LCD - Someone Great...very much sums up some of the last year for me, and hit me right in the feels.

Song of the festival:

Nas - It Ain't Hard to Tell

• Registered Users Posts: 1 tarara boomdeeay

Used the app all weekend and it was brilliant - thanks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,967 ✭✭✭Synode

MJohnston wrote: »
    Song of the festival for me was LCD - Someone Great...very much sums up some of the last year for me, and hit me right in the feels.

I coulsnt stop humming/singing/whistling it for the rest of the night. Quality. Such a shame RTE couldn't show any of the gig

• Registered Users Posts: 91 ✭✭Space Shanty

Pickpocket wrote: »
    Dizzee Rascal is as bad apart from maybe two tunes... both are just early teen commercial pop dressed up as something more.

The irony here is that those two tunes you like are probably (correct me if I'm wrong) the type of stuff that brings the riff raff.

His debut album is sensational and devoid of any kind of teen appeal, certainly on this side of the water.

But in 2010 he was post 'Bonkers', hence the crowd he attracted.

To be honest, the 'two' was based on the fact I've seen him twice and it seems an accurate recollection of how many of his live songs I found anyway decent.

You're completely right that his early stuff was a far cry from what he morphed into, but as with so many musicians, once they see the money to be made from a duet with Guetta or some other fraud, they give up all credibility

• Advertisement

Time to can this thread, tickets for next year sorted.

ciao

Not till Bodhrandude's blog review link is up which I'm starting tonight. Was reading reviews of Festival No 6 and End of the Road and it seems they all got very similar weather to EP this year, EOTR had the same unblemished record for good weather that EP had for the last five years or so they are saying in the efestivals forum anyway.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement