Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Electric Picnic 2016 // **Discussion Only / NO Ticket Sales / Requests** //

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,644 ✭✭✭Seathrun66

MadYaker wrote: »
    Song of the weekend was probably Someone Great by LCD. It's an amazing song and seeing it performed live is always special.
    I think there's probably an argument to be made for any track in that set.

How long before they headline again? 2018?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,577 ✭✭✭✭bodhrandude

If you want to get into it, you got to get out of it. (Hawkwind 1982)

• Registered Users Posts: 176 ✭✭Northernsoul

Won't load for me dude? Might just be me though?

EDIT - it's fine now! :)

Odd, the link works for me. Hang on, I'll paste again here and see if it works then.

https://niallmcquaid.wordpress.com/2016/09/08/electric-picnic-2016-festival-review/

EDIT - it's fine now! :)

Did the second link work?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,273 ✭✭✭UsedToWait

Did the second link work?

First one worked for me dude

• Registered Users Posts: 1,933 ✭✭✭H8GHOTI

Working on the Friday review at the moment, there seems to be something missing from both the lanyard and book, Jenny Greene's set with the RTE Orchestra, did they not say in the RTE programme that, that was in the Rankin Woods Tent, they showed a clip, there is no mention of the RW tent gig on both the lanyard and book for Friday. Were we not supposed to know about this. :confused:

Apparently that was all arranged last minute. It was probably too late to change the lanyard and book.

They mentioned on the tv coverage that the first rehearsal was only one week before the festival. Looks like it went very well considering.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,053 ✭✭✭D.Q

Odd, the link works for me. Hang on, I'll paste again here and see if it works then.

https://niallmcquaid.wordpress.com/2016/09/08/electric-picnic-2016-festival-review/

Enjoyed that as always mate.

Not taken by me but there you go.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,536 ✭✭✭former total

H8GHOTI wrote: »
    Apparently that was all arranged last minute. It was probably too late to change the lanyard and book.

They mentioned on the tv coverage that the first rehearsal was only one week before the festival. Looks like it went very well considering.

Nah, it was officially announced two weeks beforehand and must have been in the works for a few months prior to that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,217 ✭✭✭✭MadYaker

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCNV9UrdEWSOU8gGDPQC5qWg/videos?shelf_id=0&view=0&sort=dd

This dudes youtube channel has loads of good recordings from various acts over the weekend.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,933 ✭✭✭H8GHOTI

Nah, it was officially announced two weeks beforehand and must have been in the works for a few months prior to that.

They must have been lying so on RTE & the organisers just decided not to print it in the official programme for the laugh.

H8GHOTI wrote: »
    They must have been lying so on RTE & the organisers just decided not to print it in the official programme for the laugh.

Yeah that must be it.

I mean, it's an orchestra, they usually require a fair bit of notice, and Jenny Greene announced it live on air two weeks before EP, but I guess a lanyard trumps all that. Spur of the moment it must have been so.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 14,946 Mod ✭✭✭✭Furious-Red

Maybe they werent sure what stage to put them on? Rankins vs EA

• Registered Users Posts: 2,381 ✭✭✭Fatfrog

Seathrun66 wrote: »
    Glasto was 233 Sterling this year (275 Euro) compared to 165 Euro for EP if you bought the early-bird. As most posters here seemed to for 2016 and are doing again judging by the 2017 thread.

Glasto gets loads of dodgy acts every year (including this year having many of the acts criticised here in prominent slots on the Other Stage - The 1975, Years & Years, Bastille & Catfish). The main two stages are pretty avoidable for most of the weekend and much of the best stuff is to be found in John Peel, The Park & West Holts stages. EP is increasing its number of teen-magnet bands but like Glasto it still has more than enough acts to please people as this thread has shown.

I've not always been enamoured by the Picnic headliners, but in 12 years of going the festival has never failed to provide enough decent acts for me. And again in 2017 it won't let me down.

Sure Glasto ticket is more expensive, but if you're a drinker, their free flow booze policy means you don't need to fork out at the bar!!
    I'd happily pay €275 for my EP ticket if they A: Completely removed the security barriers into the arena B: Had a free flow booze policy.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,381 ✭✭✭Fatfrog

How good was Toots seriously!!! I was lying on my jacket on the ground hangover, by he time Toots had finished he and the energy of the crowd had cheered me up to no end! I was like a new man!! ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 251 ✭✭GopErthike

This was fairly mindblowing on Friday evening for anyone who was in the Electric Arena.

EDIT: Thought it would open at the correct time --> 1:04:50

A thousand thumbs up!

• Registered Users Posts: 276 ✭✭Lester Freamon

Was driving through Stradbally yesterday and stopped for a coffee and went for a walk down towards the production/performers entrance off the main street.

You forget sometimes what lovely countryside there is around that part of Laois and what an amazing "front garden" the Cosby's have in Stradbally Hall.

The photo is looking up towards the main stage and body and soul in the very background. The friendly security wouldn't let me walk any further but told me that they had planned to be completed and gone from the site by last night (Sunday).

• Registered Users Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭andreac

For anyone that stayed in accommodation offsite, hotel etc, which one would you recommend? Which hotel would be the easiest to get to from there?
    We did Podpads this year but not sure we can handle camping again. Will get tickets anyway and go from there. Maybe there is a B & B in Stradbally or something that we could stay in either?

andreac wrote: »
    For anyone that stayed in accommodation offsite, hotel etc, which one would you recommend? Which hotel would be the easiest to get to from there?
    We did Podpads this year but not sure we can handle camping again. Will get tickets anyway and go from there. Maybe there is a B & B in Stradbally or something that we could stay in either?

You'll be doing well to get somewhere close at this stage, all booked up I'd say.

Two years ago, we stayed in the Ashbrook Arms in Durrow, it's about a 20 minute drive but a lovely place.

• Advertisement

You'll be doing well to get somewhere close at this stage, all booked up I'd say.

Two years ago, we stayed in the Ashbrook Arms in Durrow, it's about a 20 minute drive but a lovely place.

Booked up for next year already do you think?

I know one of the hotels still had rooms close to it this year but think they were looking for mad money.

• Registered Users Posts: 182 ✭✭Canneverfindit

Try AirBnB - we stayed in a lovely little cottage in 2014 about 10 mins away. Think it was about €170 for the weekend (3 of us sharing). Basic but grand.

Try AirBnB - we stayed in a lovely little cottage in 2014 about 10 mins away. Think it was about €170 for the weekend (3 of us sharing). Basic but grand.

Brilliant, might suss that out. It's more that we have a decent bed to go back to and proper showers etc. I don't mind camping but i was completely exhausted come sun morn and couldn't last until the end, and himself didn't enjoy the camping one bit lol.

• Registered Users Posts: 182 ✭✭Canneverfindit

Brilliant, might suss that out. It's more that we have a decent bed to go back to and proper showers etc. I don't mind camping but i was completely exhausted come sun morn and couldn't last until the end, and himself didn't enjoy the camping one bit lol.

Ah I can understand that - staying off site isnt for me personally (I feel I miss out a bit) but I know himself would way prefer a B&B/ hotel too. I cant link you as I didnt book the one we stayed in but you'll usually get a pretty good deal on there.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,644 ✭✭✭Seathrun66

That's excellent Niall. Covers the mood there perfectly.

Booked up for next year already do you think?

I know one of the hotels still had rooms close to it this year but think they were looking for mad money.

Yeah I'd say as soon as the rooms are released on web sites, they are snapped up. Your best bet is probably individual B&Bs.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,654 ✭✭✭✭MJohnston

Think most of the hotel rooms nearby are snapped up by production crews and stuff really quickly, if not some kind of standing agreement with the hotels!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,876 ✭✭✭Easy Rod

I think I'm going to make it my mission to meet bodhrandude at some stage next year!! :cool:

Got a price for 3 nights off the Killeshin, €660. Not too bad really. we paid €610 roughly for the 4 man Bellepad between 4 of us. They want payment upfront at time of booking though. Will wait and see how things go over the next few months before booking anything.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 579 ✭✭✭Qs

I agree on the security but I found the traffic management terrible. It seemed to be diverted down more small side roads than usual and we were backed up nearly all the way out to the motorway. You may have just arrived at a lucky time. At lunch time it was crazy.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement