Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Electric Picnic 2016 // **Discussion Only / NO Ticket Sales / Requests** //

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,005 ✭✭✭byrneg28

BaZmO* wrote: »
    I'm curious as to how that would even work.

"What about this one lads?"
    "Nah, can't play that one."
    "What about this one?"
    "Too difficult to play live."
    "This one?"
    "Yeah, that's fine."
    Etc.
    Etc.
    Etc.

Brutal work. It'd be easier roughing it in a sweat shop!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,632 ✭✭✭✭bodhrandude

My praise went to Kelly-Anne Byrne, she was the hardest working DJ at EP this year, she only got to see twenty minutes of LCD and had to go and play another set the poor girl.

If you want to get into it, you got to get out of it. (Hawkwind 1982)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,496 ✭✭✭Fatfrog

I watched RTE's EP footage from the other night, Jenny Greene takes a serious amount credit for it !! McDermott complementing her throughout the show, at no point does she compliment the Orchestra or even say "Well I couldn't have done it with the help of......." not once!!
    Looking at the set-list, it's basically the greatest dance hits of the 00's (Volume 5 :))

• Registered Users Posts: 182 ✭✭Canneverfindit

Fatfrog wrote: »
    Looking at the set-list, it's basically the greatest dance hits of the 00's (Volume 5 :))

I said (pretty much) this on the night!! remarked that it sounded exceptionally close to one of the dance cds I heard my teenage cousins listening to a few years ago..

Other half plays in an Orchestra himself and was disappointed - like others have said, he thought it was like someone had clicked on a CD. Played the songs exactly as they were initially recorded, with no waver from the exact original. Complete replica. Was hoping for a small shred of originality/ genuine sound.

Looking at the feedback on Bestival, this seems to be their most unsuccessful year, they only sold 30,000 out of the 50,000 tickets and lots of people complaining about the line up and the cost cutting. it seems too there was a lot of corporate tents and stages there this year. It looks like Boomtown, End of the Road and Festival No 6 seems to be getting some of the former Bestival crowd too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4 littlegiraffe

I've got a spare 1-2 picnic discount code if anyone needs it! Managed to get a 3 picnic code off of a friend!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,290 ✭✭✭scruff monkey
    Snarky Snark Snark

I've got a spare 1-2 picnic discount code if anyone needs it! Managed to get a 3 picnic code off of a friend!

You might want to stick that in the 2017 thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 littlegiraffe

You might want to stick that in the 2017 thread.

Already have it in there! Just seeing if anyone around here wanted it!

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 15,008 Mod ✭✭✭✭Furious-Red

Looking at the feedback on Bestival, this seems to be their most unsuccessful year, they only sold 30,000 out of the 50,000 tickets and lots of people complaining about the line up and the cost cutting. it seems too there was a lot of corporate tents and stages there this year. It looks like Boomtown, End of the Road and Festival No 6 seems to be getting some of the former Bestival crowd too.

Yea seen pics of it over the weekend and it seems they really downsized , This was their main stage

14311283_10154423568705135_2966009428856025906_o.jpg

Sorry for asking this here - I know its an EP thread (but then Body & Soul is at EP....) I cant find any active threads on Body and Soul (June, Westmeath). Wanted to go this year but havent been before - when do tickets generally go on sale?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,053 ✭✭✭D.Q

Sorry for asking this here - I know its an EP thread (but then Body & Soul is at EP....) I cant find any active threads on Body and Soul (June, Westmeath). Wanted to go this year but havent been before - when do tickets generally go on sale?

Username checks out

Why don't you start a Body & Soul 2017 thread, you won't really hear a murmur though till about the end of next February though. Normally the first to announce is Life Festival and then Body & Soul not long after that.

D.Q wrote: »
    Username checks out

Yeah. I'm going to have to TOTALLY take that one on the chin :D;)

Why don't you start a Body & Soul 2017 thread, you won't really hear a murmur though till about the end of next February though. Normally the first to announce is Life Festival and then Body & Soul not long after that.

Ah! February? that makes sense. Was just wondering if there would be a massive panic re tickets but I think not.
    Might just do that re new thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,663 ✭✭✭✭MJohnston

It was the middle of March last year when tickets for B+S went on sale. Fire a thread up there, would chat about it myself!

MJohnston wrote: »
    It was the middle of March last year when tickets for B+S went on sale. Fire a thread up there, would chat about it myself!

Excellent!
    have one up :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,580 ✭✭✭Ferris_Bueller

The past few years the line up for Bestival has been brilliant but this year it was pretty rubbish, doesn't seem like it has been a gradual decline either it just seems as if this year they really decided to cut back. Would be disappointed if I was a regular attendee of the festival!

• Registered Users Posts: 243 ✭✭Tago Mago

Ha most of my gang at EP keep waxing lyrical about Jenny Greene & the Orchestra as if it was some seminal life changing experience. TBH was flitting around outside attempting to locate my sister (it was her first Picnic!) & getting more joy from Todd Terje at EA although Adagio for Strings sounded good from my vantage point near the toilets.

I'll give my mates the benefit of the doubt & put it down to a combination of consumables/nostalgia! :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,967 ✭✭✭Synode

Orchestras playing classic dance tunes is flavour of the day at the moment. I'm not arsed with the fad at all. Give me Todd Terje every day of the week.

Also, the credit Jenny Greene (and Pete Tong last year) got is over the top. You'd swear they made the tunes themselves. Though I guess it ties in with DJs getting credit for playing other people's songs

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,309 ✭✭✭✭alastair

Tago Mago wrote: »
    Ha most of my gang at EP keep waxing lyrical about Jenny Greene & the Orchestra as if it was some seminal life changing experience. TBH was flitting around outside attempting to locate my sister (it was her first Picnic!) & getting more joy from Todd Terje at EA although Adagio for Strings sounded good from my vantage point near the toilets.

I'll give my mates the benefit of the doubt & put it down to a combination of consumables/nostalgia! :pac:

I wanted to love the orchestra. I thought the BBC gig at the proms was great. And I stayed it out til the bitter end. But the sound was just awful from my position (in front of the front right tent pole) - you really couldn't make out much of the instrumentation, and the vocals were ear-splitting and distorting. The tunes choice wasn't great, and the up-for-it crowd and the fun the orchestra seemed to be having couldn't really compensate. Should have moved to a different spot, but it honestly felt like it wouldn't have made a difference.

• Advertisement

Nov 3rd 2015 last year.

Thanks a million for that - will keep the eye out now (and the few pound in the bank account!)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,440 ✭✭✭run_Forrest_run

Synode wrote: »
    Orchestras playing classic dance tunes is flavour of the day at the moment. I'm not arsed with the fad at all. Give me Todd Terje every day of the week.

Also, the credit Jenny Greene (and Pete Tong last year) got is over the top. You'd swear they made the tunes themselves. Though I guess it ties in with DJs getting credit for playing other people's songs

totally agree, I blame Metallica...and Jeff Mills :D

Synode wrote: »
    Though I guess it ties in with DJs getting credit for playing other people's songs

^^ thats a good point!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,224 ✭✭✭✭MadYaker

Cool pic of LCD from this year

Ste_Murray_LCD_Soundsystem_2bda940a_72b5_11e.jpg

If DBFC's debut record can match their live show then they're gonna be massive. Really impressive.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,125 ✭✭✭Wooderson

If DBFC's debut record can match their live show then they're gonna be massive. Really impressive.

I thought they sounded incredible. Well said.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,501 ✭✭✭PabloAndRoy

Each of their releases to date have been excellent .. really looking forward to an album Any idea on a release date?

Each of their releases to date have been excellent .. really looking forward to an album Any idea on a release date?

Dunno precisely but posted a pic to their FB account of them in the studio with the accompanying hashtags #newsongs #dbfcdebutalbum.

Only got into them through last years thread then brought a gang of approx twenty oblivious mates to their set but everyone was raving about them afterwards.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,728 ✭✭✭Arne_Saknussem

Yeah, they were brilliant. If there was a little more time between their set ending and LCD starting i think they'd have gotten a big crowd too.

They seemed to suck in a lot of passersby as their set went along.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,821 ✭✭✭✭Dtp1979

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement