Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Electric Picnic 2016 // **Discussion Only / NO Ticket Sales / Requests** //

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,746 ✭✭✭BullBlackNova

But that is how it is for a lot of the "big" festivals and especially festivals that know they will sell out.
    I've said it before but I think it's a sign of confidence from EP.

The way they are announcing bands this year may not suit everyone, but it's not going to stop them selling out this year.

You're dead right, there. It will sell out by mid-summer for sure.

But my point was that my presence there just isn't a given, so I wanted to wait. I know plenty of other people who are doing the same thing as me this year too. But no doubt a new generation of festival goers will rock up, take our spots in Hendrix and be signing until the early hours of Monday morning even if we don't go!

My point isn't a slight at EP, as such, but festivals in general - I don't think it is unreasonable to have an inkling of what is on offer before going.

Primavera kept its loyalty/early birds on sale for a week after its line-up announcement. Just seemed to be a nice gesture - people knew what they were getting, could still get a good rate. Then when they were snapped up, price increased - and it still sold out.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,021 ✭✭✭lbj666

But that is how it is for a lot of the "big" festivals and especially festivals that know they will sell out.
    I've said it before but I think it's a sign of confidence from EP.

The way they are announcing bands this year may not suit everyone, but it's not going to stop them selling out this year.

They always announced in march, its very early for them yet. Last year was the only year they released a few names early but none of them were headliners.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,053 ✭✭✭D.Q

Are there installment plans for full price tickets?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,101 ✭✭✭scruff monkey
    Snarky Snark Snark

• Registered Users Posts: 5,530 ✭✭✭Ferris_Bueller

Are we expecting an announcement on Friday or next week? Thought they said on twitter there was an announcement coming in mid February but usually they announce in March..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,914 ✭✭✭Rigor Mortis

I think it is pretty **** form on the part of the organisers to exploit people's loyalty to the festival by selling tickets immediately afterwards, limiting the discount tickets to pre-announcement times and ending them before Xmas. That's my opinion, other people disagree.

But if you're telling me it is unreasonable to want to know 2 or 3 of the bands on the bill (like the adding of the War on Drugs, Belle & Sebastian, etc pre-Xmas 2014) before buying then you can f*ck right off.

I get that its not unreasonable to want to know the bands before buying, although i think many of us go for more than the bands and are relatively confident there will be enough there to keep me happy..

I don't get your first point at all. Why should you feel a right to a discounted ticket. The whole point of a sale price is to incentevise people to buy early. We get a cheap price, they get to cover the majority of their costs up front. Everyone wins.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,746 ✭✭✭BullBlackNova

I get that its not unreasonable to want to know the bands before buying, although i think many of us go for more than the bands and are relatively confident there will be enough there to keep me happy..

I don't get your first point at all. Why should you feel a right to a discounted ticket. The whole point of a sale price is to incentevise people to buy early. We get a cheap price, they get to cover the majority of their costs up front. Everyone wins.

As I said in my original post, I've been quite a few times and always enjoyed it. I've no doubt that there'd be something to keep me happy this year again, but it's just a matter of figuring out if EP 2016 is worth my money, or another gig/holiday/festival is. I'm not lucky enough to be able to afford the lot.

And it's not that I feel a right to a discounted ticket - for one, I could've gotten one this year and sold it off at a higher price if I wanted to not use it, but I decided not to - but I feel like the organisers take advantage of people's loyalty. Like, for e.g, after EP 2014 when the tickets went on sale the day after the festival ended (well, technically within hours of it ending). Sure they're covering costs, but people will panic and put money into it straight away thinking they won't get tickets, etc. based on that.

Like I said already, I won't keep making the point, I don't think it's too much to ask for those schemes to run as long as they have in the past, or like they do at other festivals. Primavera, for e.g., kept its loyalty scheme in place for the week after the announcement. In previous years, EP ran it post-Christmas for a few weeks whereas this year, it was the start of November. it isn't even that I think I'm being screwed over by ending it early, it's that I have no clue what might come up over the 9 month period between then and the festival. It's hard to plan.

I really didn't think what I said was unreasonable tbf!!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,577 ✭✭✭✭bodhrandude

As I said in my original post, I've been quite a few times and always enjoyed it. I've no doubt that there'd be something to keep me happy this year again, but it's just a matter of figuring out if EP 2016 is worth my money, or another gig/holiday/festival is. I'm not lucky enough to be able to afford the lot.

And it's not that I feel a right to a discounted ticket - for one, I could've gotten one this year and sold it off at a higher price if I wanted to not use it, but I decided not to - but I feel like the organisers take advantage of people's loyalty. Like, for e.g, after EP 2014 when the tickets went on sale the day after the festival ended (well, technically within hours of it ending). Sure they're covering costs, but people will panic and put money into it straight away thinking they won't get tickets, etc. based on that.

Like I said already, I won't keep making the point, I don't think it's too much to ask for those schemes to run as long as they have in the past, or like they do at other festivals. Primavera, for e.g., kept its loyalty scheme in place for the week after the announcement. In previous years, EP ran it post-Christmas for a few weeks whereas this year, it was the start of November. it isn't even that I think I'm being screwed over by ending it early, it's that I have no clue what might come up over the 9 month period between then and the festival. It's hard to plan.

I really didn't think what I said was unreasonable tbf!!

It was only last year's festival that they announced four or five names in December 2014, that was the only time they have ever done this.

If you want to get into it, you got to get out of it. (Hawkwind 1982)

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 14,946 Mod ✭✭✭✭Furious-Red

With Foals playing The Marquee in July , Looks less likely we will see them at EP

• Registered Users Posts: 19,667 ✭✭✭✭everlast75

With Foals playing The Marquee in July , Looks less likely we will see them at EP

saw them last night - fantastic gig - but would happy for someone else to take the lead..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 541 ✭✭✭mejulie805

Booked our bellepad in PodPads - roll on September!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭andreac

mejulie805 wrote: »
    Booked our bellepad in PodPads - roll on September!

Oh howdy neighbour :-) We booked a 4 man Bellepad too with Podpads.:)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,539 ✭✭✭ghostdancer

quite surprising, Marquee gig is with Aiken, Foals have been with MCD/Festival Republic for a few years now.
    they're playing Reading & Leeds with FR the week after EP too, so you'd think they'd be booked for EP....

• Registered Users Posts: 733 ✭✭✭sassyj

andreac wrote: »
    Oh howdy neighbour :-) We booked a 4 man Bellepad too with Podpads.:)

Festihut for me :)

sassyj wrote: »
    Festihut for me :)

Oh that's not in Pink Moon. After staying in Pink Moon last year i couldn't not stay there this year.

Oh that's not in Pink Moon. After staying in Pink Moon last year i couldn't not stay there this year.

I know, have stayed in Festihuts a number of years, have done Podpads before but I find the Festihut much better. The days of camping are long gone for me :)

sassyj wrote: »
    I know, have stayed in Festihuts a number of years, have done Podpads before but I find the Festihut much better. The days of camping are long gone for me :)

I just loved the extras that are with Pink Moon and it was so close to the main arena etc and the bar/cafe was cool too.
    We have camp beds in ours and we brought our own last year so it was really comfy.
    But yeah, like you i couldn't do normal camping ever again after this ha ha.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,989 ✭✭✭leakyboots

I think it is pretty **** form on the part of the organisers to exploit people's loyalty to the festival by selling tickets immediately afterwards, limiting the discount tickets to pre-announcement times and ending them before Xmas. That's my opinion, other people disagree.

But if you're telling me it is unreasonable to want to know 2 or 3 of the bands on the bill (like the adding of the War on Drugs, Belle & Sebastian, etc pre-Xmas 2014) before buying then you can f*ck right off.

Plenty of other European festivals I've gone to do it. Some even tier the early bird tickets to a limited number of Super Early Birds you can buy immediately after the event... then a few months later early birds... then full whack.

Announcements... some festivals I've been to are adding bands a few weeks before it.

What annoys me about Picnic is the timetable announcement - telling people a week or two beforehand who is on when is bull. Hard to plan your weekend around that (arriving/leaving times if you can't stay the full weekend).

• Registered Users Posts: 19,667 ✭✭✭✭everlast75

leakyboots wrote: »
    Plenty of other European festivals I've gone to do it. Some even tier the early bird tickets to a limited number of Super Early Birds you can buy immediately after the event... then a few months later early birds... then full whack.

Announcements... some festivals I've been to are adding bands a few weeks before it.

What annoys me about Picnic is the timetable announcement - telling people a week or two beforehand who is on when is bull. Hard to plan your weekend around that (arriving/leaving times if you can't stay the full weekend).

My gripe with that is not giving you much time to research bands you've never heard of so that you'll know if you'll like them or not/know some of their songs

• Registered Users Posts: 1,397 ✭✭✭davywalsh7

quite surprising, Marquee gig is with Aiken, Foals have been with MCD/Festival Republic for a few years now.
    they're playing Reading & Leeds with FR the week after EP too, so you'd think they'd be booked for EP....

Hope they get added haven't seen them since they were about to release their first album. Midweek gig in cork is so awkward.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 541 ✭✭✭mejulie805

I just loved the extras that are with Pink Moon and it was so close to the main arena etc and the bar/cafe was cool too.
    We have camp beds in ours and we brought our own last year so it was really comfy.
    But yeah, like you i couldn't do normal camping ever again after this ha ha.

I'm the same andreac, we couldn't get over the quality of the Pink Moon camping versus the Boutique campsite- I was delighted with the set up of Pink Moon (even ran into the fancy loos when I was in the Electric Arena!)

All paid up for tickets and camping, so just have to get *refreshments* - plenty of time for that :pac::pac::pac:

I'm the same andreac, we couldn't get over the quality of the Pink Moon camping versus the Boutique campsite- I was delighted with the set up of Pink Moon (even ran into the fancy loos when I was in the Electric Arena!)

All paid up for tickets and camping, so just have to get *refreshments* - plenty of time for that :pac::pac::pac:

My bellepad will prob have a Just married sign or bunting on it, so if you see that come and say hi :)
    We are getting married weekend before and a few us going to the picnic again this year to celebrate!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19 Cantaloupe

All the talk of camping etc has got me super friiiickin' excited. And the bit of sun the past two days has given me such a want of festivals and summer. HURRY UP.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,989 ✭✭✭leakyboots

everlast75 wrote: »
    My gripe with that is not giving you much time to research bands you've never heard of so that you'll know if you'll like them or not/know some of their songs

Yeah, fair point.

The comfy mattresses, darkness and quiet, and electric sockets in each hut wins for me. I am old lol.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,192 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

Possible world tour, complete outsider but I got a hunch..

• Registered Users Posts: 12,577 ✭✭✭✭bodhrandude

Festival Number 6 made their first announcement the other day, a lot of who played EP last year but some others in the line up might make it to the Picnic as its on the same weekend.

FN616-FIRST-ANNOUNCE-1090X522-USE-1-1090x520_c.png

If you want to get into it, you got to get out of it. (Hawkwind 1982)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,397 ✭✭✭davywalsh7

Festival Number 6 made their first announcement the other day, a lot of who played EP last year but some others in the line up might make it to the Picnic as its on the same weekend.

FN616-FIRST-ANNOUNCE-1090X522-USE-1-1090x520_c.png

Noel Gallagher and echo and the bunnymen would b nice additions

• Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭Spaceshanty

Disappointed that Foals have announced Cork gig, although I'd take NGHFB in there place. LCD & NEW ORDER are my other two wants or wishes but I'm losing faith by the day...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭Spaceshanty

Disappointed that Foals have announced Cork gig, although I'd take NGHFB in there place. LCD & NEW ORDER are my other two wants or wishes but I'm losing faith by the day...

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement