Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Electric Picnic 2016 // **Discussion Only / NO Ticket Sales / Requests** //

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,497 ✭✭✭BadTurtle

Chemical Brothers would be great. Itd be a big disappointment if we didn't get one of LCD, Radiohead or Brian Wilson from Primavera though, they're all touring a lot this summer and still no Irish dates.

• Registered Users Posts: 39 BlaaEater

BadTurtle wrote: »
    Chemical Brothers would be great. Itd be a big disappointment if we didn't get one of LCD, Radiohead or Brian Wilson from Primavera though, they're all touring a lot this summer and still no Irish dates.

Brian Wilson? Nein! Nothing to see! I think they wheel him out on a trolley and just stand him up behind his keyboard...

• Registered Users Posts: 5,531 ✭✭✭Ferris_Bueller

Fingers crossed for Chemical Brothers now that Faithless won't be playing. If they manage to get LCD & Chem Bros it would justify a large portion of the ticket for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,101 ✭✭✭scruff monkey
    Snarky Snark Snark

BlaaEater wrote: »
    Brian Wilson? Nein! Nothing to see! I think they wheel him out on a trolley and just stand him up behind his keyboard...

Wilson is back in States at that time so no chance of him appearing

Snarky Snark Snark

Honest question, do the likes of the Chemical brothers actually do anything live or it is all just press the button to kick start the hard drive/light show machine.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 909 ✭✭✭keithkk16

Honest question, do the likes of the Chemical brothers actually do anything live or it is all just press the button to kick start the hard drive/light show machine.

If you want a good read into how they setup their live show check this out. http://www.soundonsound.com/sos/dec11/articles/chem-bros.htm

Snarky Snark Snark

keithkk16 wrote: »
    If you want a good read into how they setup their live show check this out. http://www.soundonsound.com/sos/dec11/articles/chem-bros.htm

That is a really good ****ing read

• Registered Users Posts: 10,654 ✭✭✭✭MJohnston

I can't say what the Chems do, but here's what I've observed of Kraftwerks live show - the entire thing is pre-sequenced (ie. they have all of the tracks of all of the songs laid down in a computer beforehand) and played from that "pre-recording". However, each member of the 4 is responsible for a controller that is connected to a different part of the music. So one guy has a controller linked to the percussions, another connected to the synths, another the bass, etc. (Ralf also has his microphone for live vocals). With that, they become a kind of improvisational jazz quartet in a way - they can take two minutes for a percussive solo, another two for a synth solo etc. (The live video of Musique Non-Stop which is their encore song best demonstrates this I think)

So, essentially what most electronic artists are doing live isn't PLAYING their music, they're REMIXING it. Granted, there might be some that do literally nothing, but of the few I've seen (Daft Punk and Chems for example), they're doing that remixing thing.

It'd be pointless to expect the whole thing to be live to be honest, you'd need a massive band for most of these electronic acts (part of why I love seeing Basement Jaxx, and Groove Armada live is they actually do go and get a big old band for their concerts, and why LCD and Hot Chip work so damn well) - especially because people usually just want to rave out to their favourite tunes and enjoy a good light show.

Snarky Snark Snark

Yeah I wouldn't expect the whole thing to be live (except for the likes of Massive Attack who also went down the full band route) but was just curious as to what level of live there actually is for these crews.

Not my thing at all to be honest, but am quite happy for EP to have crews like Chem Bros as it does the tent empty trick for other stuff

(have the first 2 or three chem bros albums, but tastes change and I find them almost unlistenable now)

• Registered Users Posts: 12,578 ✭✭✭✭bodhrandude

Royksopp could be a possibility they are releasing a new album.

If you want to get into it, you got to get out of it. (Hawkwind 1982)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 339 ✭✭Slobberdawn

Yeah I wouldn't expect the whole thing to be live (except for the likes of Massive Attack who also went down the full band route) but was just curious as to what level of live there actually is for these crews.

Not my thing at all to be honest, but am quite happy for EP to have crews like Chem Bros as it does the tent empty trick for other stuff

(have the first 2 or three chem bros albums, but tastes change and I find them almost unlistenable now)

I'm the same. I have no problem with the creation of electronic music and I have problem having the craic at an electronic gig but what I don't get is how people say that such an act was class when you just see a guy standing behind some equipment.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,989 ✭✭✭leakyboots

MJohnston wrote: »

So, essentially what most electronic artists are doing live isn't PLAYING their music, they're REMIXING it. Granted, there might be some that do literally nothing, but of the few I've seen (Daft Punk and Chems for example), they're doing that remixing thing.

Hmmm... my memory of Daft Punk's set at Marlay Park years ago was that it was pretty much note-for-note like the bootleg that was floating around of the Milan gig from earlier in the summer on that tour

• Registered Users Posts: 14 The flush

I see mondays star news paper says the line up is out tommrow ....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,342 ✭✭✭Whosthis

The flush wrote: »
    I see mondays star news paper says the line up is out tommrow ....

Launch party is 2nd March, that usually coincides with the release of the lineup.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,563 ✭✭✭✭peteeeed

Snarky Snark Snark

peteeeed wrote: »

FFS, some one actually gets paid to throw up tripe like that?

Lets throw a few names in the air, who's touring during the summer, don't bother checking where they're actually touring when the EP is on cos that won't attract clickies....

They list coldplay, coldplay are in the states that weekend so **** off with that one

"Former headliners Sigur Rós are ruled out, as they're playing their own standalone gig at RHK during the summer. "

So why the **** list them you bunch of ****ing morons, totally redundant information.

utter **** that...

leakyboots wrote: »
    Hmmm... my memory of Daft Punk's set at Marlay Park years ago was that it was pretty much note-for-note like the bootleg that was floating around of the Milan gig from earlier in the summer on that tour

Its the same set, with the same songs being remixed in the same order each night. It's things like where beats and synths etc. come in and out of the songs that change night to night. The lightshow dictates how much can be messed around with off the cuff night to night.

• Registered Users Posts: 299 ✭✭Peesh89

Lets throw a few names in the air, who's touring during the summer, don't bother checking where they're actually touring when the EP is on cos that won't attract clickies....

They list coldplay, coldplay are in the states that weekend so **** off with that one

"Former headliners Sigur Rós are ruled out, as they're playing their own standalone gig at RHK during the summer. "

So why the **** list them you bunch of ****ing morons, totally redundant information.

utter **** that...

I'm almost as excited for the line up as I am for your reaction to it. In my short few weeks creeping on this thread/my minimal commenting on things.. you provide me with much entertainment.

• Registered Users Posts: 299 ✭✭Peesh89

utter **** that...

I'm almost as excited for your reaction to the line up as I am for the actual thing. In my short few weeks creeping on this thread/my minimal commenting on things.. you provide me with much entertainment.

• Registered Users Posts: 236 ✭✭freddiemoore

I'd love if The Cure played again. 2012 was my first EP and was a bit too steamed on the Saturday so didn't fully appreciate them!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,563 ✭✭✭✭peteeeed

I'd love if The Cure played again. 2012 was my first EP and was a bit too steamed on the Saturday so didn't fully appreciate them!

saw 40 mins of that set it was sh!te :)

Snarky Snark Snark

Oh noes! I'm actually looking forward to the idea of them being a headliner

have not seen them live and they're one of the few left on my must see sometime list.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,501 ✭✭✭PabloAndRoy

Have to disagree. Thought that they were surprisingly good as I wasn't really expecting much. Might not be everyone's cup of tea, but it was a long way from "sh!te".

They played for ages as well, went for a wander after half an hour, caught some other stuff and still got back to catch their last 30 minutes ..

I can't see them headlining again though.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,606 ✭✭✭schemingbohemia

Belly could be a decent shout, reforming and gigging in North America early August. Not exactly mind-blowing but could be a decent heritage act.

http://www.brooklynvegan.com/archives/2016/02/belly_playing_n.html

Snarky Snark Snark

Belly could be a decent shout, reforming and gigging in North America early August. Not exactly mind-blowing but could be a decent heritage act...

Funnily enough on the navel theme, echobelly were doing a few dates last year, would not mind them at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,053 ✭✭✭D.Q

Ween would be a great addition.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,654 ✭✭✭✭MJohnston

I'm the same. I have no problem with the creation of electronic music and I have problem having the craic at an electronic gig but what I don't get is how people say that such an act was class when you just see a guy standing behind some equipment.

Its a bit like going to see a great DJ I suppose - the enthusiasm doesn't come fidelity or authenticity of the live performance, but from general appreciation for the way the act constructed the whole thing. Put it this way - how many times have you seen a purely acoustic band give a very authentically live performance that nearly 100% reflects the album versions, and yet you go away feeling a bit "meh"? Imo what people really respond to at live performances is the energy of the performance, improvisations on the tracks they already know, and the atmosphere around them. In an electronic gig, generally you'd substitute some sort of visual aspect for the first one, but it seems much the same for me otherwise.

• Registered Users Posts: 339 ✭✭Slobberdawn

MJohnston wrote: »
    Its a bit like going to see a great DJ I suppose - the enthusiasm doesn't come fidelity or authenticity of the live performance, but from general appreciation for the way the act constructed the whole thing. Put it this way - how many times have you seen a purely acoustic band give a very authentically live performance that nearly 100% reflects the album versions, and yet you go away feeling a bit "meh"? Imo what people really respond to at live performances is the energy of the performance, improvisations on the tracks they already know, and the atmosphere around them. In an electronic gig, generally you'd substitute some sort of visual aspect for the first one, but it seems much the same for me otherwise.
    That's all fine. I guess I've been asking electronic music fans to explain to me what it is that "I don't understand." I understood the experience and the light show etc. and I also understood that we're not comparing like with like. I guess, in pursuit of answers, I missed the main point............nobody cares what's going on as long as the craic is being had.

• Registered Users Posts: 748 ✭✭✭declanleo

utter **** that...

Oh praise the Lord,Coldplay will be stateside. I was getting slightly nervous.

• Advertisement

I doubt EP is that far gone that they'd seriously consider booking Coldplay (or Beyonce or Rihanna or Eminem). They're not Oxegen just yet.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement