Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Electric Picnic 2016 // **Discussion Only / NO Ticket Sales / Requests** //

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,415 ✭✭✭griffdaddy

That's all fine. I guess I've been asking electronic music fans to explain to me what it is that "I don't understand." I understood the experience and the light show etc. and I also understood that we're not comparing like with like. I guess, in pursuit of answers, I missed the main point............nobody cares what's going on as long as the craic is being had.

Different electronic acts play in different ways. Look up how orbital or underworld play live. They're using instruments, just very technical sequencers etc. That's why you can still hear them occasionally hit weird/bum notes etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,101 ✭✭✭scruff monkey
    Snarky Snark Snark

BadTurtle wrote: »
    I doubt EP is that far gone that they'd seriously consider booking Coldplay (or Beyonce or Rihanna or Eminem). They're not Oxegen just yet.

They booked Sam smyth, Coldplay would be preferable to him

• Registered Users Posts: 13,563 ✭✭✭✭peteeeed

Four tet would be great , check out his new live show , nice visuals

https://boilerroom.tv/recording/four-tet-live/#/video

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,967 ✭✭✭Synode

Went to see Four Tet at Metropolis and he was brutal

• Registered Users Posts: 12,578 ✭✭✭✭bodhrandude

Synode wrote: »
    Went to see Four Tet at Metropolis and he was brutal

Do you not mean brutally good.

If you want to get into it, you got to get out of it. (Hawkwind 1982)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,967 ✭✭✭Synode

Do you not mean brutally good.

No, he was shockingly bad. I'd always wanted to see him and was left so disappointed. His intro was over 10 minutes long and set the tone for the rest of the set - just as you thought it was about to kick off, he'd bring it back down and meander off on some tangent. Really, really poor.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,578 ✭✭✭✭bodhrandude

No, he was shockingly bad. I'd always wanted to see him and was left so disappointed. His intro was over 10 minutes long and set the tone for the rest of the set - just as you thought it was about to kick off, he'd bring it back down and meander off on some tangent. Really, really poor.

I loved him at Life festival it was the first time I caught him, not your typical techno banging artist, he would have lots of ambient quiet moments in his music but when he got a beat going he was lively enough. Perhaps his performances are sometimes a hit and miss, will definitely go and see him again.

If you want to get into it, you got to get out of it. (Hawkwind 1982)

• Registered Users Posts: 10,654 ✭✭✭✭MJohnston

His live Boiler Room was like that but I thought it was cracking still

• Registered Users Posts: 6,539 ✭✭✭ghostdancer

first 10/15mins was downtempo stuff like the Morning side of the album he had out at the time. the rest of the set was good enough. probably the least good performance i've seen from him though.

Snarky Snark Snark

peteeeed wrote: »
    Four tet would be great , check out his new live show , nice visuals

https://boilerroom.tv/recording/four-tet-live/#/video

Wow, every boiler room set I'd seen so far was some cramped little club with the musician surrounded by wannabe Barbies reeking of desperation or really creepy weird Dutch lookin ****ers with zero sense of personal space boundaries in need of a good napalming

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,563 ✭✭✭✭peteeeed

Wow, every boiler room set I'd seen so far was some cramped little club with the musician surrounded by wannabe Barbies reeking of desperation or really creepy weird Dutch lookin ****ers with zero sense of personal space boundaries in need of a good napalming

yeah they always look like they are not dancing to the tunes the dj is playing

• Registered Users Posts: 1,012 ✭✭✭MattD

peteeeed wrote: »

Imagine the amount of effort put into writing that and then getting paid for it... As said before, not even bothering to check the tour dates of the FOUR bands you mention to see if they're actually available. More effort is put into boards posts everyday?!

Edit: Primal scream doing Sea Sessions and Santigold doing B & S this summer so I imagine that rules them out of EP. I've got very high hopes for animal collective, new order and m83 as subheadliners at this stage.

Snarky Snark Snark

MattD wrote: »
    Imagine the amount of effort put into writing that and then getting paid for it... As said before, not even bothering to check the tour dates of the FOUR bands you mention to see if they're actually available. More effort is put into boards posts everyday?!

doesn't actually take that much effort, a monkey could knock 4 or 5 articles like that out an hour, it's a fact free finger in the air (or arse) bit of wankology.

a bot script could probably be put together to actually write tosh like this.

• Registered Users Posts: 183 ✭✭PadraigOK

With no sign of LCD on the B&S lineup (was that in anyway realistic to start with) I'd imagine we can expect to see Murphy and Co at EP (that date in Portugal at the end of August is all I'm basing this on).

T'other headliners are anyone's guess, I still think Radiohead are a stretch. I think we'll definitely see Animal Collective there, probably Bat For Lashes, Cat Power, Thee Oh Sees, Echo and The Bunnymen etc (basically a few of those at EOTR, FNo6 and Bestival).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,012 ✭✭✭MattD

doesn't actually take that much effort, a monkey could knock 4 or 5 articles like that out an hour, it's a fact free finger in the air (or arse) bit of wankology.

a bot script could probably be put together to actually write tosh like this.

That's my point, the fact that there is someone paid to write absolute nonsense for clicks is sad. A bot that actually scans something like bandsintown and produce script (which definitely exists now) would undoubtedly be leagues above this.

There will certainly be a divisive big 'crowd pleasing' headline act, which is looking like Noel Gallagher or kings of Leon, I'm guessing the former. Them, LCD, Chem Bros (now that disclosure and faithless are out) top line, and another level below made up of like PJ Harvey, animal collective, new order and 2dcc.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,497 ✭✭✭BadTurtle

MattD wrote: »

Edit: Primal scream doing Sea Sessions and Santigold doing B & S this summer so I imagine that rules them out of EP. I've got very high hopes for animal collective, new order and m83 as subheadliners at this stage.

Don't think m83 are anywhere near popular enough for a subheadliner slot yet

• Registered Users Posts: 2,501 ✭✭✭PabloAndRoy

BadTurtle wrote: »
    Don't think m83 are anywhere near popular enough for a subheadliner slot yet anymore

FTFY ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,746 ✭✭✭BullBlackNova

re: M83 - Hurry Up, We're Dreaming was a huge hit all over the world, 'Midnight City' is still played often enough. I didn't realise it was 5 years ago thought. Christ...

At the Osheaga festival in Canada, they have the same billing as Disclosure, Haim and the Lumineers and are only below Radiohead, Lana Del Ray and RHCP. A bizarre mix it must be said, but they might be popular enough to close out one of the tents or to take a Friday night slot on the main stage before someone like New Order?

I know it's Canada, but they are higher up the bill there than Grimes, Foals, Kurt Vile and a few others who have critical and/or commercial success in the US and Canada in the last few years.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,501 ✭✭✭PabloAndRoy

re: M83 - Hurry Up, We're Dreaming was a huge hit all over the world, 'Midnight City' is still played often enough. I didn't realise it was 5 years ago thought. Christ...

At the Osheaga festival in Canada, they have the same billing as Disclosure, Haim and the Lumineers and are only below Radiohead, Lana Del Ray and RHCP. A bizarre mix it must be said, but they might be popular enough to close out one of the tents or to take a Friday night slot on the main stage before someone like New Order?

I know it's Canada, but they are higher up the bill there than Grimes, Foals, Kurt Vile and a few others who have critical and/or commercial success in the US and Canada in the last few years.

In fairness to M83, they were bloody marvellous at B&S 2012.. then followed by the mighty whomadewho (about 150 people at the main stage for one of the best live trios around). That was a great night.

It was a hit in the US and France. It barely charted here or in the UK, I think that makes it more of a one hit wonder than a huge hit.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 89 ✭✭sputnick123

EP just tweeted that the first announcements are next week!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 236 ✭✭freddiemoore

They tweeted about that last week too, surprised there wasn't more excitement here about it

• Registered Users Posts: 566 ✭✭✭roll

where have you been all week?! :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 748 ✭✭✭declanleo

Have you been without the Internet all week?

Where's yer man that says before each announcement that he's been told from the promoters that this that and the other are about to be announced but they never end up on the bill?

Snarky Snark Snark

declanleo wrote: »
    Have you been without the Internet all week?

Where's yer man that says before each announcement that he's been told from the promoters that this that and the other are about to be announced but they never end up on the bill?

Off making up more bull**** I assume, that stuff doesn't just **** itself out of nowhere.

(who are we slagging off btw?)

• Registered Users Posts: 349 ✭✭Reggie noble

Wheres all the moderat heads ?

I'll give it a go:
    The Prodigy Kings of Leon Basement Jaxx
    Earl Sweatshirt Kosheen Phoenix James Blake Hudson Mohawke MF Doom Bloc Party Damien Dempsey Calexico Azealia Banks Ratatat Roots Manuva The Field Sebastian Tellier Cathy Davey Felix Da Housecat Bill Callahan

Harder than you'd think trying to pick one's that cant be debunked outright, but that you expect to be dead wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 183 ✭✭PadraigOK

This is ridiculous but here ya go:

LCD Soundsystem / Radiohead / NGHFB

Animal Collective, New Order (Sat night dance act, if such a thing exists anymore), Joanna Newsom, Roots Manuva, Bat For Lashes, Bastille (Sunday day tripper fodder), Jagwar Ma, Bicep, Goat, Thee Oh Sees, Richie Hawtin (to miraculously disappear from the lineup 2 months down the line), Lush, Echo and the Bunnymen, Damian Marley, Steve Mason, Money and Dilly Dally.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,654 ✭✭✭✭MJohnston

Wheres all the moderat heads ?

I've all my fingers crossed. Wouldn't mind a 2 for 1 and have Modeselektor on there too, whens the last time they played in Ireland? I remind FF a few years ago.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭MusicLover8498

I'd really like to see Jack Garratt pop up maybe at Other Voices or something, seen him on the show about 3 weeks ago and haven't been able to get enough of him. Would be great if Glen Hansard popped up again, was devestated I missed him last year

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement