Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Electric Picnic 2016 // **Discussion Only / NO Ticket Sales / Requests** //

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 183 ✭✭PadraigOK

That reminds me, Low played at EP last year, unfortunately for them, their slot was scheduled in around the same time that Blur was playing, must have been only around 20 people or so that turned up to watch them perform. Along with this they were sandwhiched between 2 dance acts that were playing in other tents either side , so their intimate sessions were nearly droned out by the loud base sounds. Alan Sparhawk at one stage started mockingly nodding his head to the base from one of the tents, the missus Mimi Parker, didnt look too impressed when she saw him doing that .....:P...............having said that, i actually enjoyed the gig....
    On at the same time as Jon Hopkins if memory serves, gutted to miss em.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,531 ✭✭✭Ferris_Bueller

Nothing to back up these guesses but I'll give it a go:

LCD Soundsystem - Radiohead - Chemical Brothers
    Foals - New Order - Massive Attack - M83 - PJ Harvey
    Bloc Party - Damian Marley - Richie Hawtin - Daughter - The 1975
    Todd Terje - Four Tet - Kaytranada - Catfish & The Bottlemen

Assuming the majority will be wrong but I would be very happy with a line up similar to that!

• Registered Users Posts: 533 ✭✭✭SmallBalls

Wish they'd bring back a bit of Arcadia, looks crazy....

• Registered Users Posts: 3,901 ✭✭✭Mince Pie

Nothing to back up these guesses but I'll give it a go:

LCD Soundsystem - Radiohead - Chemical Brothers
    Foals - New Order - Massive Attack - M83 - PJ Harvey
    Bloc Party - Damian Marley - Richie Hawtin - Daughter - The 1975
    Todd Terje - Four Tet - Kaytranada - Catfish & The Bottlemen

Assuming the majority will be wrong but I would be very happy with a line up similar to that!

I could happily get on board with that. Not much playing the spoons in the woods with that line up. :D
    Get rid of The 1975 and Crayfish and the trawlermen and it would be a belter.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,497 ✭✭✭BadTurtle

Yeah 1975 and Catfish are shocking bands, but the rest would be great. Doubt Massive Attack would be booked as anything other than a headliner though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,531 ✭✭✭Ferris_Bueller

BadTurtle wrote: »
    Yeah 1975 and Catfish are shocking bands, but the rest would be great. Doubt Massive Attack would be booked as anything other than a headliner though.

Don't like them myself but I felt as if the line up would be too good to be true if I didn't put in at least a few bands I didn't like :pac:

Yeah you are probably right considering they've headlined before and headlined Longitude in 2014. You could argue the 3 sub headliners I had (Foals, Massive Attack, New Order) could be headliners themselves, but a man can dream..

• Registered Users Posts: 19,678 ✭✭✭✭everlast75

Hate 1975 but Catfish are a different class. Excellent album

• Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭Spaceshanty

I'm a gullible fool (probably because I like the sound of it ) but I'm gonna go with what the little birdie is tweeting and say Radiohead//LCD//New Order, which would be an amazing line up, and would sell of quickly.

Dancey wise I would go with Dubfire or Richie Hawtin & Matador doing the Paul Kalbranner slot from last year. (Electric Arena)

Erol Alkan and Nina Kraviz finishing there own night in the Woods rave

Moderat doing Friday night in a tent but before the main headliners.

^^ not to much to ask.
    (Haven't really thought about bands but will do now it's close to an announcement)

• Registered Users Posts: 12,580 ✭✭✭✭bodhrandude

I'm a gullible fool (probably because I like the sound of it ) but I'm gonna go with what the little birdie is tweeting and say Radiohead//LCD//New Order, which would be an amazing line up, and would sell of quickly.

Dancey wise I would go with Dubfire or Richie Hawtin & Matador doing the Paul Kalbranner slot from last year. (Electric Arena)

^^ not to much to ask.
    (Haven't really thought about bands but will do now it's close to an announcement)

Was Kalkbrenner not in the Rankin Woods as I'm sure I came from FKA Twigs at Electric Arena. Yeah I hope Rave in the Woods moves from that House stuff from last year, I wouldn't mind if they mixed it up a bit, a techno night, a drum n bass/jungle/ dubstep night or bass music as some call it and a cheesy kinda house night or even just some really cool electronica.

If you want to get into it, you got to get out of it. (Hawkwind 1982)

• Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭Spaceshanty

You could be right, since they extended the size of the rankin wood and I was rather all over the shop at that stage. Just meant that time slot in a big arena.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,654 ✭✭✭✭MJohnston

The name "Rankin's Wood Stage" annoys me, because it's NOT IN THE WOODS

• Registered Users Posts: 2,387 ✭✭✭Fatfrog

Was Kalkbrenner not in the Rankin Woods as I'm sure I came from FKA Twigs at Electric Arena. Yeah I hope Rave in the Woods moves from that House stuff from last year, I wouldn't mind if they mixed it up a bit, a techno night, a drum n bass/jungle/ dubstep night or bass music as some call it and a cheesy kinda house night or even just some really cool electronica.

Yea definitely in Rankin woods!!

I think personally RMBA needs to redefine itself, it's gone a bit stale in the past few years.
    It's a very large area now, impossible to fill when the main stages are going. For most after the main acts its 'let's head to the rave in the woods' without having a clue of who's playing, some have never been before and want to experience it, which is completely fine too, but the result is a high percentage of people there don't have any interest in the music, and usually end up standing around chatting and facing away from the stage. Bit of a buzz kill for the rest of the "concentitious!" ;) audience not to mention the acts playing.
    I'm not sure how this could be fixed, but I think there's definitely scope for something like the original smaller rave in the woods in an alternative location, varying genres, secret location c/w treasure map :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,839 ✭✭✭s8n

Treasure map !!! Seriously !!

So a couple more announcements from other festivals;

Bandsintown tells me the vaccines, Le Galaxie & Disclosure are playing in the Royal hospital. I don't see this on their site yet but if true, I couldn't see Disclosure crossing over to the EP also!

Foals are playing Belfast 23rd of June as well as their Cork gig.

Santigold playing Body and Soul

Muse at Glasto!! What about the EP!

s8n wrote: »
    Treasure map !!! Seriously !!

FFS!!!

^^ not to much to ask.

If Moderat play they will be tent closers and it will probably be Rankins Wood which is a step up from the Little Big Tent which they played in 2009. I see the old LBT became Despacio last year and the LBT became bigger. Rankins is between the LBT and Electric Arena tent in size and capacity and Moderat's popularity has grown considering they have sold out Vicar St twice now. In 2014 they were originally going to play the Button Factory venue, but it quickly transpired that there was more demand for tickets so it was changed to Vicar St.

So like eh! Electric Picnic.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,218 ✭✭✭✭MadYaker

Mr.S wrote: »
    Muse at EP could be a contender, touring big festival till mid August at least, sold out arena show in April here and would shift a lot of tickets for EP.

Too big surely? If the chilis are too big then Muse are definitely too big.

Are the chilis really too big? Blur and Florence are presumably far more popular around Ireland these days.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,397 ✭✭✭davywalsh7

MadYaker wrote: »
    Too big surely? If the chilis are too big then Muse are definitely too big.

I don't think they'll play but they're hardly any bigger than arctic monkeys , blur, the killers or arcade fire who have all played in recent years

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,539 ✭✭✭ghostdancer

well Blur only played the RHK, so they're certainly bigger than them. probably about the same as AM or Arcade Fire these days. you'd expect them to do 30k at Marlay Park if they were playing here again.

Not a chance. The last album bombed out of sight. Their last hit was Danni California off Stadium Arcadium.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,218 ✭✭✭✭MadYaker

There's a new album out before the summer though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,746 ✭✭✭BullBlackNova

Dunno about the Chilis being too big, but they're definitely on the more expensive side of acts that could be booked.

That said, they have played festivals in Ireland and the UK before so it might not be beyond the realms of possibility? Certainly not as impossible as it would've been ten years ago. I could see the Chilis announcing a big outdoor show in Ireland this summer or next and it not selling at all though.

As for Muse, they're in my outsider bet list. I think they would come with a huge stage show which would be very expensive and that could scupper it.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,192 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

So like eh! Electric Picnic.

Yea that's what I'm thinking too, my money's on Dimitri from Vegas and like Mike. You know cause there like electric.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 14,946 Mod ✭✭✭✭Furious-Red

LCD/Muse/Radiohead would def sell a **** loads of tickets. Really hope Chilis dont play (but they are pretty much confirmed to do T-Vital) seen them at Oxegen in 06 and bored me , plus the last album was pretty ****e.

• Registered Users Posts: 209 ✭✭loudnoises89

Muse or Chillis look likely each passing day with all the festivals they're playing. The 1975 will probably be there too, not a huge fan of them.

Benicassim just added Muse, Chemical Brothers and Massive Attack. Much of their lineup is playing Ireland already (Kendrick Lamar, Jamie xx, Disclosure, Major Lazer) so will be interesting to see if the Picnic booked the rest.

• Registered Users Posts: 349 ✭✭Reggie noble

I'd love if the 3 of them are announced Wednesday

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,101 ✭✭✭scruff monkey
    Snarky Snark Snark

When do muse play the point? If they a booked then they're not going to be announced before that surely?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement