Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Electric Picnic 2016 // **Discussion Only / NO Ticket Sales / Requests** //

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 28,192 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

Why so, is this all because of the Swedish house mafia we can't have any of the big dj's.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,497 ✭✭✭BadTurtle

Electric Picnic has never booked that type of music. Tiesto, Hardwell, Avicii, SHM, Axwell etc. Same way they don't book Linkin Park or Fallout Boy or Deftones. Simply doesn't happen.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,411 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

Why so, is this all because of the Swedish house mafia we can't have any of the big dj's.

Because the music is absolutely atrocious. They had Richie Hawtin, Ben Klock, Books Shade, 2 Many DJs and countless others that are much better

I've seen Deadmaus at EP. I'm nearly sure it was him anyway. EP has some top notch electric music over the years, can't see why any of them would be no no's.

Has Calvin Harris ever played Picnic, he seems to have a gap in his schedule between the 2nd and 9th of September. He's doing T in the park and Creamfields.
    Is he big enough to headline?

Here anyway, I think he's big enough, he's headlining one of the nights at T in the park, gap in his schedule and I'd reckon he's sell some tickets. A 2/1 shot.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 909 ✭✭✭keithkk16

Here anyway, I think he's big enough, he's headlining one of the nights at T in the park, gap in his schedule and I'd reckon he's sell some tickets. A 2/1 shot.

I think Belsonic would be more to your taste than electric picnic

• Registered Users Posts: 5,101 ✭✭✭scruff monkey
    Snarky Snark Snark

Would love a real shock/random headliner to be announced that no one expected (in a good way :) )

Bowie?

• Registered Users Posts: 287 ✭✭neddynono

Tickets are on sale at 9am according to EP on Facebook.

Sorry my wording was bad there. I meant tickets on sale at 9am with the lineup announced later in the day

• Registered Users Posts: 657 ✭✭✭sally cinnamon89

Cant see that happening mate.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,539 ✭✭✭ghostdancer

I've seen Deadmaus at EP. I'm nearly sure it was him anyway. EP has some top notch electric music over the years, can't see why any of them would be no no's.
    yeah but that was before deadmau5 started making sh1t "EDM" for teenagers.

• Advertisement

that was before deadmau5 was complete and utter sh1t though.
    and he's still better than rubbish like hardwell and afrojack.

There a good bit after my time but I'd say they're crowd pullers for generation z or what ever there on now, Calvin would seem obivious headliner, only so many times they can wheel out the chemical brothers and fatboy, one of the headliners has to be electric.

2015 - Underworld
    2014 - think they lost the plot a bit, chic on the back of the daft punk tune?
    2013 - Fatboy Slim
    2012 - Orbital
    2011 - The Chemical Brothers
    2010 - Massive Attack
    2009 - Basement Jaxx/Orbital

The list goes on, there's newly always 2 or 3 big dance acts as headliners, can't see why this year would be any different.

• Registered Users Posts: 909 ✭✭✭keithkk16

There a good bit after my time but I'd say they're crowd pullers for generation z or what ever there on now, Calvin would seem obivious headliner, only so many times they can wheel out the chemical brothers and fatboy, one of the headliners has to be electric.

2015 - Underworld
    2014 - think they lost the plot a bit, chic on the back of the daft punk tune?
    2013 - Fatboy Slim
    2012 - Orbital
    2011 - The Chemical Brothers
    2010 - Massive Attack
    2009 - Basement Jaxx/Orbital

The list goes on, there's newly always 2 or 3 big dance acts as headliners, can't see why this year would be any different.

You're trolling us all now aren't you?

• Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭Spaceshanty

Drunkmonkey stirring it I think ... Lol

I've already said Radiohead/LCD/new order would be brilliant. Any 2 and I'd be delighted. Steve Mason, Kaz Coombs , Jungle would be nice too. Looking forward to the announcement

• Registered Users Posts: 803 ✭✭✭Rough Sleeper

This is like saying that McFly are a shout for EP because Blur played it before. You don't get electronic music if you can't see how Calvin Harris doesn't fit in with the rest of the list.

Though the "electric music" comment suggests that I am, in fact, falling victim to a ruse.

Fatfrog wrote: »
    A cult following (me included) and growing!!
    I do not think it means what you think it means.jpg

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,686 Mod ✭✭✭✭melekalikimaka

any boardsies at launch tomorrow?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,389 ✭✭✭Fatfrog

I do not think it means what you think it means.jpg

??.....Enlighten me!!

Fatfrog wrote: »
    ??.....Enlighten me!!
    It isn't thriving because it's amassed a cult following, it's thriving because there's a complete lack of competition on the Irish festival circuit. EP has become the "hey isn't that the thing that you're supposed to go to?" event of the summer.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,967 ✭✭✭Synode

It isn't thriving because it's amassed a cult following, it's thriving because there's a complete lack of competition on the Irish festival circuit. EP has become the "hey isn't that the thing that you're supposed to go to?" event of the summer.

AxtzziK.gif

• Advertisement

I don't think it's a particularly hard point to follow, dude.

EP is benefiting from the fact that there are currently no other large-scale camping music festivals in Ireland since Oxegen's ignominious demise. There's a fairly sizeable demographic who don't really care for music but who will go to whatever's popular at a given point in time. Which happens to be EP due to lack of available alternatives.

This is what's been driving the increasing ticket sales, rather than a growing, fiercely loyal fanbase.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,967 ✭✭✭Synode

I don't think it's a particularly hard point to follow, dude.

EP is benefiting from the fact that there are currently no other large-scale camping music festivals in Ireland since Oxegen's ignominious demise. There's a fairly sizeable demographic who don't really care for music but who will go to whatever's popular at a given point in time. Which happens to be EP due to lack of available alternatives.

This is what's been driving the increasing ticket sales, rather than a growing, fiercely loyal fanbase.

It's thriving because people have money again. It wasn't thriving when people didn't. End of. You can label people as following the cool crowd all you like but in my experience that argument is bullshít

Of course money has a part to play in it. But back in the Oxegen sellout years, EP wasn't even registering on the radars of people who were into chart music. Don't really think the sort of folk I have in mind would be described as the "cool crowd," either.

Rachel & Steve

• Registered Users Posts: 2,389 ✭✭✭Fatfrog

I wasn't suggesting the cult was growing, my point was there's demand earlier in the year due to A: the regular cult following + B: Others that are now buying before any announcements so they don't miss out at a later stage.

I disagree that there's lack of competition, you could argue it's the opposite, we're almost at saturation with festivals, I'd imagine it's a struggle to get enough acts without duplication, that can also shift tickets!

Anyway roll on tomorrow! Would really like to see Courtney Barnett and maybe Royal blood!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,581 ✭✭✭✭bodhrandude

Just go to Cocktail, Cocktail or ESB Ireland tent.

If you want to get into it, you got to get out of it. (Hawkwind 1982)

• Registered Users Posts: 12,581 ✭✭✭✭bodhrandude

yeah but that was before deadmau5 started making sh1t "EDM" for teenagers.

2008 I think in one of the marquees.

If you want to get into it, you got to get out of it. (Hawkwind 1982)

• Registered Users Posts: 19,309 ✭✭✭✭alastair

BadTurtle wrote: »

LCD seems to be the only sure thing. Could be any of New Order, Muse, Chemical Brothers, Massive Attack, could be none of them. Radiohead are a hard group to second guess. Have they ever played an Irish festival before?

Radiohead are a sure thing, alongside LCD.
    Which probably (hopefully) means Muse are not happening. Just don't get the appeal myself.

• Registered Users Posts: 748 ✭✭✭declanleo

Add your reply here.
    Because it's not oxegen.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 748 ✭✭✭declanleo

I'm buying my tickets at 10, gutted I never got the early birds

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement