Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Electric Picnic 2016 // **Discussion Only / NO Ticket Sales / Requests** //

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,309 ✭✭✭✭alastair

I don't think it's a particularly hard point to follow, dude.

EP is benefiting from the fact that there are currently no other large-scale camping music festivals in Ireland since Oxegen's ignominious demise. There's a fairly sizeable demographic who don't really care for music but who will go to whatever's popular at a given point in time. Which happens to be EP due to lack of available alternatives.

This is what's been driving the increasing ticket sales, rather than a growing, fiercely loyal fanbase.

Lots of camping festival alternatives all over the summer. Some of them really good. They don't need to be large scale to be popular - many of them sell out, year after year. You can get as much entertainment out of a weekend at Vanstival or Valentia, as you can EP. Much of the Oxegen 'appeal' has been carried over to Marley Park and the other non-camping fests/gigs.

• Registered Users Posts: 748 ✭✭✭declanleo

that was before deadmau5 was complete and utter sh1t though.
    and he's still better than rubbish like hardwell and afrojack.

There a good bit after my time but I'd say they're crowd pullers for generation z or what ever there on now, Calvin would seem obivious headliner, only so many times they can wheel out the chemical brothers and fatboy, one of the headliners has to be electric.

2015 - Underworld
    2014 - think they lost the plot a bit, chic on the back of the daft punk tune?
    2013 - Fatboy Slim
    2012 - Orbital
    2011 - The Chemical Brothers
    2010 - Massive Attack
    2009 - Basement Jaxx/Orbital

The list goes on, there's newly always 2 or 3 big dance acts as headliners, can't see why this year would be any different.
    Add your reply here.
    Chic on the back of a daft punk tune? Are you taking the plss? Try reading up on nile Rodgers pal

• Registered Users Posts: 748 ✭✭✭declanleo

OK, just read the rest of his posts.well played

• Registered Users Posts: 28,192 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

declanleo wrote: »
    Add your reply here.
    Chic on the back of a daft punk tune? Are you taking the plss? Try reading up on nile Rodgers pal

He's a 70's disco, seen him at Forbidden Fruit, no way he would have been headlining only for get lucky. He didn't even play it as he wasn't allowed. I wouldn't have put him as the highlight of the day, but there was a definite disco diva following in the crowd.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,309 ✭✭✭✭alastair

He's a 70's disco, seen him at Forbidden Fruit, no way he would have been headlining only for get lucky. He didn't even play it as he wasn't allowed.

Ehh: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F_1tb8Qj9JA

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9 Town90

There a good bit after my time but I'd say they're crowd pullers for generation z or what ever there on now, Calvin would seem obivious headliner, only so many times they can wheel out the chemical brothers and fatboy, one of the headliners has to be electric.

2015 - Underworld
    2014 - think they lost the plot a bit, chic on the back of the daft punk tune?
    2013 - Fatboy Slim
    2012 - Orbital
    2011 - The Chemical Brothers
    2010 - Massive Attack
    2009 - Basement Jaxx/Orbital

The list goes on, there's newly always 2 or 3 big dance acts as headliners, can't see why this year would be any different.

do you genuinely not see the difference between Calvin Harris and underworld/orbital etc? or you just on a windup

Town90 wrote: »
    do you genuinely not see the difference between Calvin Harris and underworld/orbital etc? or you just on a windup

The difference is obivious but he's as big as the Chemical Brother back in their day, he's headlining a lot of festivals, my point was he's a current crowd puller and probably a lot more relevant to your average 25 year old, he's had 7 number 1's, you can't just dismiss him as not a potential to headline at at an EDM festival, if I'd to put money on him or radiohead I'd be putting the house on him.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

The difference is obivious but he's as big as the Chemical Brother back in their day, he's headlining a lot of festivals, my point was he's a current crowd puller and probably a lot more relevant to your average 25 year old, he's had 7 number 1's, you can't just dismiss him as not a potential to headline at at an EDM festival, if I'd to put money on him or radiohead I'd be putting the house on him.

Lol

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,411 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

It's not an "EDM" (hate that term) festival.

BaZmO* wrote: »
    Lol

image.png

image.png

All I'm saying is it's a possibility as much as fatboy or chemical brothers were.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 785 ✭✭✭team_actimel

Too much criticism of other peoples music taste in this forum. Let's instead get excited about acts we want to see at EP!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,783 ✭✭✭heebusjeebus

My personal wants are Grimes and M83. Never seen either live.
    Would like to see Santigold back as I enjoyed her last gig here.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,411 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

If you're going to bang on about chart success, and immediately dismiss Nile Rodgers who has had more than most musicians there's no point in arguing.

Chemical brothers released some seminal music (as did orbital, leftfield etc) that will influence other musicians for a long time. Calvin Harris has regurgitated the same basic song(s)/sound for a few years now as he knows it's popular and he knows it makes him money. He's had a few decent tracks in there, but some seriously awful, awful stuff or just MoR pop.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,529 ✭✭✭LowOdour

Last September I had the below on my wish list. Ive crossed out the ones that are 100% out so still a chance for some to be announced! What time are we expecting an announcement?
    LowOdour wrote: »
    Alot of good main headliners have been mentioned, but would take any of Bon Iver (if they stay reformed ), The National or Vampire Weekend

If any of the following were on the list id be quite happy!
    Frightened Rabbit
    Frank Turner
    Richard Thompson
    FFS
    The Decemberists
    James Vincent McMorrow
    The Tallest Man on Earth
    Okervill River
    and maybe Hall & Oates for abit of guilty pleasure!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,573 ✭✭✭Thundercats Ho

Sunday tickets sold out in seconds

• Registered Users Posts: 6,539 ✭✭✭ghostdancer

It isn't thriving because it's amassed a cult following, it's thriving because there's a complete lack of competition on the Irish festival circuit. EP has become the "hey isn't that the thing that you're supposed to go to?" event of the summer.
    it's basically become the new oxegen. people will dispute that because it still has a bit of an air of EP years ago, but it's blatantly filling up with tacky crap and arseholes just there for a piss-up weekend the way witnness/oxegen went, although thankfully it's not quite there yet.

this 2nd comment being the top rated reply on FB says it all:

GECA7wS.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

Too much criticism of other peoples music taste in this forum. Let's instead get excited about acts we want to see at EP!

I'm not criticising someone's taste. I was calling out the notion that just because you have a load of number ones that somehow makes you eligible to headline EP. That's bonkers talk.

Justin Bieber has had loads of number 1 singles and albums and he's even releasing more dancier stuff, doesn't mean that he'll be playing EP though.

Sunday tickets sold out in seconds

Trying to get a few saying none available??

• Registered Users Posts: 2,573 ✭✭✭Thundercats Ho

Trying to get a few saying none available??

Yea, I was trying to get a few for my brother, but was stuck on a call until 9:01
    No tickets available when i tried.
    There must have been 100 Sunday tickets available at that rate!

• Registered Users Posts: 287 ✭✭neddynono

Got an email from electric picnic saying lineup will be announced at 3pm so bit of a wait yet

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 733 ✭✭✭sassyj

it's basically become the new oxegen. people will dispute that because it still has a bit of an air of EP years ago, but it's blatantly filling up with tacky crap and arseholes just there for a piss-up weekend the way witnness/oxegen went, although thankfully it's not quite there yet.

this 2nd comment being the top rated reply on FB says it all:

GECA7wS.jpg

To be fair, the first year I went (2006), there were plenty of madoutofits who didn't leave the campsite for the weekend, it's not a new thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,461 ✭✭✭Queen-Mise

sassyj wrote:
    To be fair, the first year I went (2006), there were plenty of madoutofits who didn't leave the campsite for the weekend, it's not a new thing.

Was at indiependence this year, was talking to a girl Sunday night at Kodaline and it was first time she had left campsite. TBH, I couldn't give a fiddlers what ppl do.

This waiting to find out who is headlining is getting seriously tiresome.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,101 ✭✭✭scruff monkey
    Snarky Snark Snark

There are always scoobies for whom the weekend is just about getting wasted and staying in their own little hovel in the campsites.

They in a perverse way make the weekend better by helping pay for the act and yet not actually occupying any space in front of the stages.

Yea, I was trying to get a few for my brother, but was stuck on a call until 9:01
    No tickets available when i tried.
    There must have been 100 Sunday tickets available at that rate!

Tried the phone line there as well nothing..wonder is it a glitch..how long before they sold out last year.

Snarky Snark Snark

Doubt it's a glitch, could be a combination of
    a) bots
    b) demand
    c) not releasing all sunday tickets at once

• Registered Users Posts: 6,539 ✭✭✭ghostdancer

sassyj wrote: »
    not saying it's a new thing, just there's a marked increase in people seemingly primarily there for for a piss-up, over the last few years.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,004 ✭✭✭kg703

Anyone for the bloody beetroots? :)

Snarky Snark Snark

not saying it's a new thing, just there's a marked increase in people seemingly primarily there for for a piss-up, over the last few years.

Would wonder if it's still the same percentage of gimps like that but as they're louder/messier/twattier than others that they just are more noticible when in larger numbers (remember festival has nearly doubled in size last few years)

• Registered Users Posts: 22 cab15

Dare I throw Craig David into the ring

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,563 ✭✭✭✭peteeeed

cab15 wrote: »
    Dare I throw Craig David into the ring

if its to fight conor mcgergor then yes

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement