Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Electric Picnic 2016 // **Discussion Only / NO Ticket Sales / Requests** //

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 339 ✭✭Slobberdawn

they 100% played the Electric Arena in 2010, headlined it with Hot Chip on before them.

What the lads are saying is that the played in a prior year to 2010 on the Main Stage (I think). 2010 was definitely the EA.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,014 ✭✭✭✭Corholio

setanta74 wrote: »
    The best moments I ever had at the picnics involved bands I knew nothing about and whose performances blew me away and opened up a world of new music which I buzzed off for ages afterwards.

I can't get over the moaning about lineups and headliners year after year. The best time you will have will be with your mates and those new discoveries.

It's a discussion forum for the individual festival, what exactly do you think should be said on here?

'Just saw the lineup, can't say anything because I like all music exactly equally'

• Registered Users Posts: 2,501 ✭✭✭PabloAndRoy

What the lads are saying is that the played in a prior year to 2010 on the Main Stage (I think). 2010 was definitely the EA.

pretty sure that was 2007, I remember as I dragged along a couple of skeptic friends who were blown away .. I remember it clearly... and actually they also were on main stage in 2005, around 6 oc'lock on the friday or saturday can't quite remember ..

edit: 2005 was a sat/sunday event .. no friday.

• Registered Users Posts: 498 ✭✭Dutchy

Did I read / hear somewhere that another announcement re acts is at 7 pm this evening? :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 10,654 ✭✭✭✭MJohnston

Would this have been one of the very early EPs with perhaps a smaller stage (like the Trailer Park :rolleyes:)

I just find it hard to believe that they would finish out a night on the main stage. I don't think they have that big of a following.

The very early EPs didn't have a Trailer Park stage, noob :pac:

As for whether they have that big of a following, they sold out Madison Square Garden which is about 20k, they're headlining a tonne of other festivals. You also have to take into account that they quit at the absolute peak of their career, and they will have an entire generation of fans who weren't around when they were still together absolutely itching to see them.

For people into their style of music, I think even if you don't like them specifically, you'd have to recognise that they are absolutely seminal to many, many people, and many of the same fans will see them as a once-in-a-lifetime type of thing (such is the perfect way that they've modulated and tweaked their hype).

But to be honest, I really don't ****ing care about how many people are interested in them or not, they're just a band I absolutely must see again.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,536 ✭✭✭former total

Dutchy wrote: »
    Did I read / hear somewhere that another announcement re acts is at 7 pm this evening? :confused:

I think there's an official launch party this evening but it would be a bit odd to have a new announcement, 4 hours after the first.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,783 ✭✭✭heebusjeebus

MJohnston wrote: »

As for whether they have that big of a following, they sold out Madison Square Garden which is about 20k, they're headlining a tonne of other festivals. You also have to take into account that they quit at the absolute peak of their career, and they will have an entire generation of fans who weren't around when they were still together absolutely itching to see them.

For people into their style of music, I think even if you don't like them specifically, you'd have to recognise that they are absolutely seminal to many, many people, and many of the same fans will see them as a once-in-a-lifetime type of thing (such is the perfect way that they've modulated and tweaked their hype).

But to be honest, I really don't ****ing care about how many people are interested in them or not, they're just a band I absolutely must see again.

They also produced one of the best song of the noughties

http://www.headstuff.org/2014/02/12-best-songs-noughties/

• Registered Users Posts: 5,101 ✭✭✭scruff monkey
    Snarky Snark Snark

phuckphace wrote: »
    No, I figured the main headliner might be in the Trailer Park at 4pm on the Friday afternoon.

bishopbrennan2.jpg

LCD Soundsystem are 100% one of the great live acts ever. If you have never seen them live, I recommend you put it on your bucket list.

• Registered Users Posts: 315 ✭✭beansybeansy

bishopbrennan2.jpg

Damn you beat me to it!! was just about to post that pic

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 37 rockey4215

I would say if LCD Soundsystem are big enough to headline Coachella, one of the world's most famous festivals, they may just do as a headliner for a festival in Co. Laois.

• Registered Users Posts: 315 ✭✭beansybeansy

LCD Soundsystem are 100% one of the great live acts ever. If you have never seen them live, I recommend you put it on your bucket list.

Totally agree and I am going to Primavera in June and Lovebox in July to make sure I see them plenty this year. They never disappoint

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,746 ✭✭✭BullBlackNova

This post is absolute bull****.

One of the best songs of the noughties?

One of!?

The best. The best f*cking song of the noughties and most other decades!!
    Mr.S wrote: »
    2?3? Years go they announced a handful of smaller bands at the media launch, which is tonight.

The year the Killers played (heh) they were added at a later evening media launch, but that was partly because of the cluster**** in communication across the organisers apparently.

• Registered Users Posts: 37 rockey4215

They snuck in The Killers the night of the first announcement in 2012, which I remember went down very well. Also MBV and The Knife in 2013 if I remember correctly.

• Registered Users Posts: 235 ✭✭22michael44

not keeping score or anything but New Order must be rivalling Chic for irish festival appearances at this point.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,536 ✭✭✭former total

not keeping score or anything but New Order must be rivalling Chic for irish festival appearances at this point.

Closely followed by the Chemical Brothers...

This will be my twelfth EP so I'm hardly a noob. My reference to Trailer Park related to a previous poster's smart arse reply to my very simple question.

I saw LCD in 2010 and although the EA was full it wasn't out the door. I saw them later that year in Tripod which although sold out, isn't the biggest venue in the world.

I'm very happy for them to play the main stage. I'm just surprised they'd attract the volume of fans you think they will.

Ah man, All My Friends is just a perfect song to trigger memories of growing up in that period where you were heading out of your teens around the turn of the century, and I suppose, if you were into raves and discos and after parties. It's a melancholy song, but it just gives me so many warm feelings, of partying too long with the best of friends around you, dancing away into the night in some poor ****ers front room.

And the weird bit is, the song itself is really about growing up and leaving that part of your life behind, remembering it fondly and all the memories it created, but if I was to pick a song to actually come from that era, it might well be LCD's Disco Infiltrator.

I'm very happy for them to play the main stage. I'm just surprised they'd attract the volume of fans you think they will.

To be honest, I don't think I've said they'll attract any particular volume of fans.

• Registered Users Posts: 10 phuckphace

At least 2 of the best songs of the noughties and they were one after another on the same record

Apparently I'm not allowed post links so this post is now pretty pointless. Everyone just go listen to 'Someone Great' again right now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,049 ✭✭✭gazzer

I have heard of 8 of those acts and of these I have seen 4 of them a fee times already.

This will be my twelfth EP so I'm hardly a noob. My reference to Trailer Park related to a previous poster's smart arse reply to my very simple question.

I saw LCD in 2010 and although the EA was full it wasn't out the door. I saw them later that year in Tripod which although sold out, isn't the biggest venue in the world.

They will. When that beat of "Losing my Edge" rolls across the fields, they will flock to that stage only to discover its already jammed.

To be honest, I don't think I've said they'll attract any particular volume of fans.

Not quite but your last post did imply as much by saying where and to how many people they've played previously.

Anyway, it's not relevant. My question (not even a point) was whether they'd play the main stage. I'd have thought that the bands playing late at the main stage would be expected to attract a large volume of people.

With that in mind, I'm surprised to hear that everyone else seems to feel that LCD will do that.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,724 ✭✭✭Arne_Saknussem

phuckphace wrote: »
    At least 2 of the best songs of the noughties and they were one after another on the same record

Apparently I'm not allowed post links so this post is now pretty pointless. Everyone just go listen to 'Someone Great' again right now.

Don't tell me what to do Phuckphace

• Registered Users Posts: 2,724 ✭✭✭Arne_Saknussem

Not quite but your last post did imply as much by saying where and to how many people they've played previously.

Anyway, it's not relevant. My question (not even a point) was whether they'd play the main stage. I'd have thought that the bands playing late at the main stage would be expected to attract a large volume of people.

With that in mind, I'm surprised to hear that everyone else seems to feel that LCD will do that.

I think they will play the main stage, hoping it's the Electric Arena though.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 14,948 Mod ✭✭✭✭Furious-Red

Yea LDR will either headline the EA or maybe a late slot on the friday or subbing on the Main Stage

• Registered Users Posts: 748 ✭✭✭declanleo

Do people really think LCD will be on the main stage?
    Add your reply here.
    Most definitely

You asked why I might think they'd attract a crowd, and I was just listing things that might suggest why they would, I've no idea how many Irish people are interested in them. Genuinely can't see it being any less than were interested in Chic, Leftfield, Chems, or a handful of other previous headliners.

And also, I think the answer to whether they'd play the main stage isn't about the crowd they'll attract, it's (as I mentioned before) all about their positioning on EP's official lineup, which is right at the top. Has EP ever listed a headliner up there that didn't play the main stage?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,967 ✭✭✭Synode

declanleo wrote: »
    Add your reply here.

What's the story with this? Are you typing it out

• Advertisement

You asked why I might think they'd attract a crowd, and I was just listing things that might suggest why they would, I've no idea how many Irish people are interested in them. Genuinely can't see it being any less than were interested in Chic, Leftfield, Chems, or a handful of other previous headliners.

And also, I think the answer to whether they'd play the main stage isn't about the crowd they'll attract, it's (as I mentioned before) all about their positioning on EP's official lineup, which is right at the top. Has EP ever listed a headliner up there that didn't play the main stage?
    No idea.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement