Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Electric Picnic 2016 // **Discussion Only / NO Ticket Sales / Requests** //

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,988 ✭✭✭Monsieur Folie

penguin88 wrote: »
    Delighted to see Glass Animals on the lineup, their set in (I think) the Little Big Tent a couple of years ago is one of my favourite EP memories.

I think that was the first time I'd seen them and they were deadly. Crowds here seem to love them and they put on a great show.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,497 ✭✭✭BadTurtle

Foals have played the picnic two of the last five festivals, they also played Longitude in 2013, they just played the 3 arena and are playing the Marquee. That's not counting the other stand alone shows they've played in Ireland in the last few years. They're the most overbooked band around at the moment.

The Chilis, Catfish and Imagine Dragons are extremely average, absolutely no loss not booking them. As vanilla as music gets. Might as well book Coldplay and Snow Patrol.

• Registered Users Posts: 390 ✭✭Paddy2012

I'd say it's safe to say that 4/6 headline/sub-headline spots on the main stage have been filled in the 4 big names on the poster. That leaves probably 2 more to be announced, whether they will be sub headliners or actual headliners is anyones guess though. I would also think a good few of the headline slots in the EA & Rankin Woods tents are yet to be filled, wouldn't be too familiar with certain names on the bill so hard to guess how high up they would play. We prob won't get another announcement for 2 months or so but I'd say there will be some nice surprises in it, last years second announcement was almost as good as the first!

I would say Todd Terje could maybe headline Rankin Woods and SFA the Electric Arena but yeah I agree there's still a lot to be announced

• Registered Users Posts: 748 ✭✭✭declanleo

I'm quite happy with that lineup for a start.I'm hoping there is another big act as i'm sure there will be. Just curious who will headline sunday night,i'm hoping LDR is there for the day trippers. Hoping LCD play friday as i'll have kids kids at some stage over the weekend and I want to enjoy my Friday:o

• Registered Users Posts: 9,760 ✭✭✭Effects

So Radiohead definitely aren't going to play the Picnic and Despacio isn't going to be there this year either.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,539 ✭✭✭ghostdancer

3hr set with guests please

• Registered Users Posts: 5,102 ✭✭✭scruff monkey
    Snarky Snark Snark

Not sure if anyone else noticed but Jim Carrolls column on the Times website has a very interesting bit of information

"Capacity: the cap for this year’s event is 55,000, per the event’s PR rep."
    http://www.irishtimes.com/blogs/ontherecord/2016/03/02/electric-picnic-2016-here-we-go/

So allowing for best case scenario, that's a minimum of a good 1.25 million extra for them to play with, allowing for average of say €200 per ticket. Obviously extra bodies = extra facility/security/cleanup/insurance costs etc..

But it's still a serious wodge of dosh to spend on acts.

Wouldn't count the bleepybloopy paranoid androids out yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,192 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

Well spotted, what was the capacity last year, wasn't there but one of the lads was grumbling about the amount of people compared to previous years.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,967 ✭✭✭Synode

Effects wrote: »
    So Radiohead definitely aren't going to play the Picnic and Despacio isn't going to be there this year either.

Nobody knows that for sure at this stage. Can take or leave Radiohead but would really love it if Despacio made another appearance

Snarky Snark Snark

Well spotted, what was the capacity last year, wasn't there but one of the lads was grumbling about the amount of people compared to previous years.

According to wikipedia, it was 47K, I think that's wrong and that it was 48K

• Advertisement

Synode wrote: »
    Nobody knows that for sure at this stage. Can take or leave Radiohead but would really love it if Despacio made another appearance

I'd place good money on it after having a chat with Melvin Benn about both Radiohead and Despacio earlier this evening.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,967 ✭✭✭Synode

I'd place good money on it after having a chat with Melvin Benn about both Radiohead and Despacio earlier this evening.

Did he say straight out no to both?

48,499 tickets, plus 2,500 guests and children
    http://www.irishtimes.com/blogs/ontherecord/2015/06/23/electric-picnic-lodge-event-licence-application/

Snarky Snark Snark

I'd say he'd fib like there's no tomorrow to protect their (probably paid for) marketing campaigns and any relationships/contracts they have with artists of that size.

Yeah. He gave pretty valid reasons for Radiohead not doing it, but said it was totally off the record.

Mentioned something about making a deal with James Murphy about putting on Despacio last year if LCD would play this year.
    I'd say he'd fib like there's no tomorrow to protect their (probably paid for) marketing campaigns and any relationships/contracts they have with artists of that size.

Yeah, he totally would.

Snarky Snark Snark

Yeah, that's where my idea on the number came from I think, so assuming the same number of guests then it's still a ****ton of cash to spunk on another major act.

Mentioned something about making a deal with James Murphy about putting on Despacio last year if LCD would play this year.

well that's almost certainly a lie, for starters.

well that's almost certainly a lie, for starters.

Yeah, it didn't really seem to make sense.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,389 ✭✭✭Fatfrog

48500 in 2015 according to Jim's Irish times article

http://www.irishtimes.com/blogs/ontherecord/2015/06/23/electric-picnic-lodge-event-licence-application/

• Registered Users Posts: 6,519 ✭✭✭Mike Guide 69

Theres no guarantee to rule them out either, i was hoping actually to see Suede added to the bill too. But after carefully taking in the lineup announcement so far, its not bad, but could be a lot better. I like a lot of LCDs stuff, but as main headliners on main stage , i dont think so.. (although FatBoy Slim did headline a Friday night some years back on main stage, so anything is possible, i guess).

Taking into account, especially last year, when certain acts were announced, likes of Manics and Interpol that graced the main stage but not main headliners, you never know, how acts are going to be allocated to stage times and venues. I dont see New Order as the main headliner for one of the nights (thats just my opinion).

I could see possibly the addition of 2 bigger acts announced as while the initial lineup is ok, im not exactly blown away by it.

So theres every possibility a Radiohead or a similar act been mentioned down the line, Rammstein are playing a few festivals around any chance of them blowing the pyrotechnics off the stage at Stradbally???.....ermmmmmmm, probably not!!!!!:o

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,389 ✭✭✭Fatfrog

Not sure if anyone else noticed but Jim Carrolls column on the Times website has a very interesting bit of information

"Capacity: the cap for this year’s event is 55,000, per the event’s PR rep."
    http://www.irishtimes.com/blogs/ontherecord/2016/03/02/electric-picnic-2016-here-we-go/

So allowing for best case scenario, that's a minimum of a good 1.25 million extra for them to play with, allowing for average of say €200 per ticket. Obviously extra bodies = extra facility/security/cleanup/insurance costs etc..

But it's still a serious wodge of dosh to spend on acts.

Wouldn't count the bleepybloopy paranoid androids out yet.

That article also quotes Dermot Desmond "half the tickets were already sold in early Oct"
    Is this half of the allocated early bird tickets or half of the actual 55k capacity?

We need a boardsie ticket master employee that can get us figures!! ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 803 ✭✭✭Rough Sleeper

AdamD wrote: »
    Would have liked to see Chilis, Foals, Imagine Dragons, Catfish and the Bottlemen. EP has its fair share of endlessly repeated acts too..
    Just sit at home and read NME instead or something.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,472 ✭✭✭AdMMM

Haha, we're assuming that the extra €1.25m they have coming their way is going back into the festival. I think we'd be naive to think it is!

• Registered Users Posts: 803 ✭✭✭Rough Sleeper

AdMMM wrote: »
    Haha, we're assuming that the extra €1.25m they have coming their way is going back into the festival. I think we'd be naive to think it is!
    It certainly didn't go on the graphic design for the initial lineup poster anyway. It looks like something you'd see on a Facebook page advertising a ramshackle psytrance festival in Eastern Europe.

Snarky Snark Snark

AdMMM wrote: »

Very true, would need some one well versed in festival economics to give an idea as to how the finances of these things actually break down and what the average expected cream from the top is.

Outside of the ticket sales, there's probably a serious amount of dosh from the booze sales and the vendors on site who have to cough up for their pitch for the weekend.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,555 ✭✭✭Irish_rat

Good headliner in LCD Soundsystem.

Wolf Alice, HAIM, Broken Social Scene and Glass Animals are decent.

Wild Beasts played 2 years ago and I enjoyed them. I saw Phosphorescent at the Marquee last summer and they would be a good band to chill to during the day.

There is a lot more acts to be announced so no point judging the lineup too early.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,298 ✭✭✭srm23

alastair wrote: »
    The Chems don't strike me as a 'headliner' headliner these days. They sit better in the 'after the 'headliner' dance slot that's emerged over the past few years. I wouldn't be surprised if we're only looking at two actual 'headliners' on that lineup.

Did anyone play after blur on main stage last year on the sat?

• Registered Users Posts: 19,309 ✭✭✭✭alastair

srm23 wrote: »
    Did anyone play after blur on main stage last year on the sat?

Nope, but that's been the singular exception to the usual arrangement at EP for many years now - including the last time the Chems played - after Arcade Fire (the actual Saturday 'headliner').

I've no reason to believe that Radiohead won't be still announced as a headliner. There's clearly at least one act missing from the headline slots, and the nailed down acts I was told of were LCD and Radiohead.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,467 ✭✭✭Oasis_Dublin

I'm hoping The Coral get added. They played Oxegen in 2010, the one year I wasn't in the country. Other than that, they haven't played Ireland in years.

New album also due out presently.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,581 ✭✭✭✭bodhrandude

Well, lets get the ball rolling. Woooooo Hooooo!

If you want to get into it, you got to get out of it. (Hawkwind 1982)

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement