Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Electric Picnic 2016 // **Discussion Only / NO Ticket Sales / Requests** //

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,682 ✭✭✭✭everlast75

Just sit at home and read NME instead or something.

Absolutely nothing wrong with those bands mare. Foals played last year and were class. Don't know what you're talking about tbh

• Registered Users Posts: 850 ✭✭✭nervous_twitch

Wicked lineup. M83 would be the icing on the cake.

• Registered Users Posts: 109 ✭✭Art Fonzarelli

I'd go just for LCD and Broken Social Scene. Anything else is a bonus. So many bands around these days that are practically indistinguishable from each other, MOR, good-but-not-great tedium. Even their names merge into one when I see them on a page. Watched the Bowie tribute at the Brits: the difference between that one song and the entire output of the collective dross in attendance couldn't have been more stark.

So there.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,355 ✭✭✭cruhoortwunk

Anyone know how long the Sunday tickets were on sale for?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,539 ✭✭✭ghostdancer

alastair wrote: »
    Nope, but that's been the singular exception to the usual arrangement at EP for many years now - including the last time the Chems played - after Arcade Fire (the actual Saturday 'headliner').

I've no reason to believe that Radiohead won't be still announced as a headliner. There's clearly at least one act missing from the headline slots, and the nailed down acts I was told of were LCD and Radiohead.

Jim Carroll also said that there's a few acts that he was previously told were booked that aren't on this announcement.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,355 ✭✭✭cruhoortwunk

alastair wrote: »
    Nope, but that's been the singular exception to the usual arrangement at EP for many years now - including the last time the Chems played - after Arcade Fire (the actual Saturday 'headliner').

I've no reason to believe that Radiohead won't be still announced as a headliner. There's clearly at least one act missing from the headline slots, and the nailed down acts I was told of were LCD and Radiohead.
    Radiohead won't be announced. MCD will give them their own gig and make more ca$h that way. EP will sellout without Radiohead

• Registered Users Posts: 6,539 ✭✭✭ghostdancer

Radiohead won't be announced. MCD will give them their own gig and make more ca$h that way. EP will sellout without Radiohead
    maybe in the Autumn/Winter if they do a UK arena tour or something and will play the 3Arena too. they're only doing festivals at the moment, so unlikely they'll be doing an outdoor gig of their own here.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 785 ✭✭✭team_actimel

My goodness that LCD Sound System are absolutely awful. Truly God awful. New Order haven't been relevant in the last 20 years. Really disappointed in the headliners although i like a lot of the remainder of the acts. Hopefully the line-up stays like that should be able to pick up a ticket a closer to the date no problem.

I agree, don't know why everyone is jumping down your throat at your opinion. Have really tried to see the appeal with LCD Soundsystem and have listened to numerous songs a few times but still don't understand the hype.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,760 ✭✭✭Effects

I agree, don't know why everyone is jumping down your throat at your opinion. Have really tried to see the appeal with LCD Soundsystem and have listened to numerous songs a few times but still don't understand the hype.

I don't really like their albums all that much. I'm not into his vocal style.
    They are really good live though.

• Registered Users Posts: 339 ✭✭Slobberdawn

Look, the people that know about music have said they're brilliant, they have the best song of the noughties. Don't make me throw my eyes up at you.:P

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 183 ✭✭PadraigOK

Having let the dust settle, I'm happy enough with the initial announcement, 14 acts I'd be interested in seeing.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,760 ✭✭✭Effects

They have the best song of the noughties.

Which one is that?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,967 ✭✭✭Synode

Look, the people that know about music have said they're brilliant, they have the best song of the noughties. Don't make me throw my eyes up at you.:P

Nobody's jumping down anyone's throat. A lot of people like LCD Soundsystem, including myself. If yous don't like them, then that's your opinion. But do you really feel the need to keep telling people?

Synode wrote: »
    Nobody's jumping down anyone's throat. A lot of people like LCD Soundsystem, including myself. If yous don't like them, then that's your opinion. But do you really feel the need to keep telling people?
    Ha, I do like them and the other two people that said they don't, they said it once. I think you need to check the replies that were posted.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,563 ✭✭✭✭peteeeed

according to the license , its 55000 attending this year

Ha, I do like them and the other two people that said they don't, they said it once. I think you need to check the replies that were posted.

Fair enough. It's probably a few different people saying they can't get in to them / hate them.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,501 ✭✭✭PabloAndRoy

My better half was always ... "yeah, sure... meh", until I dragged her along to them live and she was "Oh, now I get it, damn good live band". Now i wouldn't catch her listening to them in the car or anything, but she got it when it was live.

For me, I can't stand Kings of Leon, and loads of people love them ... maybe if i saw them live? .. who knows. I just have no interest.

However, I think we should all agree on your man Halvin Carris.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,102 ✭✭✭scruff monkey
    Snarky Snark Snark

Effects wrote: »
    I don't really like their albums all that much. I'm not into his vocal style.
    They are really good live though.

First time I heard their stuff I thought it was fupping awful tat, was convinced by a mate who does in fairness know his music to give it another whirl.

Their albums are very much growers, not immediately impactful, they sort of worm their way into your brain bit by bit.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,654 ✭✭✭✭MJohnston

There's a bit of a difference between "I don't like LCD" and implying that their headlining will lead to a lack of ticket sales:
    Hopefully the line-up stays like that should be able to pick up a ticket a closer to the date no problem.

I suspect that's why some are getting all the defensive replies. Whether someone personally likes them or not, they WILL sell tickets.

For example - I hate Red Hot Chili Peppers and their godawful music with every single fibre of my being, sometimes I have this wonderful dream that they all lose their larynxes in some ironic chili pepper eating contest accident. I'd probably rather claw my own ear canal out of my skull with a rusty spoon than ever hear one of their songs performed live. I think they're worse than Irish Water. BUT I know, as clearly as I know that people will continue to die horrible deaths every day, that they would sell an absolute **** tonne of tickets to some horrible people.

Just an example, like.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,102 ✭✭✭scruff monkey
    Snarky Snark Snark

MJohnston wrote: »
    For example - I hate Red Hot Chili Peppers and their godawful music with every single fibre of my being, sometimes I have this wonderful dream that they all lose their larynxes in some ironic chili pepper eating contest accident. I'd probably rather claw my own ear canal out of my skull with a rusty spoon than ever hear one of their songs performed live. I think they're worse than Irish Water.

hEBZp4e.jpg

beautiful, utterly beautiful

• Advertisement

There's a bit of a difference between "I don't like LCD" and implying that their headlining will lead to a lack of ticket sales:

I suspect that's why some are getting all the defensive replies. Whether someone personally likes them or not, they WILL sell tickets.

For example - I hate Red Hot Chili Peppers and their godawful music with every single fibre of my being, sometimes I have this wonderful dream that they all lose their larynxes in some ironic chili pepper eating contest accident. I'd probably rather claw my own ear canal out of my skull with a rusty spoon than ever hear one of their songs performed live. I think they're worse than Irish Water. BUT I know, as clearly as I know that people will continue to die horrible deaths every day, that they would sell an absolute **** tonne of tickets to some horrible people.

Just an example, like.
    Nope, the replies were to one-off "LCD are awful" posts. That was all.

Nope, the replies were to one-off "LCD are awful" posts. That was all.

Ah sure it's a music thread, gotta expect a bit of passion! I think if someone uses a term like awful they're probably looking for a bit of...interaction

• Registered Users Posts: 1,615 ✭✭✭barry181091

Apart from Todd Terje, none of the acts really jump at me or are overly my thing. Any of my friends say that EP is about way more than just the acts and its an amazing experience in itself. All agree? Not that I was going to sell my ticket any time soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,573 ✭✭✭Thundercats Ho

Maybe they're losing their edge?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,501 ✭✭✭PabloAndRoy

Maybe they're losing their edge?

that's what all my friends are saying.

Apart from Todd Terje, none of the acts really jump at me or are overly my thing. Any of my friends say that EP is about way more than just the acts and its an amazing experience in itself. All agree? Not that I was going to sell my ticket any time soon.

Yes agreed. If you like Todd Terje then there'll be tons of stuff for you. You not a fan of The Chemical Brothers? If you haven't heard their stuff yet check out Daniel Avery and Pantha Du Prince too

Yeah, I buy a ticket every year as soon as they go on sale, partly because they're much cheaper that way, mostly because I know that no matter what's on the line-up I'll be able to enjoy the festival constants like Body and Soul, and that. All that said, they ALWAYS add a tonne more electronic acts closer to the date of the festival.

• Registered Users Posts: 891 ✭✭✭mimimcmc

I think they're worse than Irish Water.

:eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,746 ✭✭✭BullBlackNova

Jim Carroll also said that there's a few acts that he was previously told were booked that aren't on this announcement.

But, tbf, Jim did also say he was doubting the accuracy of his source. And if Melvin Benn is now saying the big guns have been announced, then maybe the Radiohead rumour wasn't entirely accurate.

This is entirely possible - but Radiohead skipped Ireland entirely on their last tour. Was it 2008 they last played? it's not impossible that they may sidestep Ireland again entirely. Would be tremendously disappointing though.

I was chatting to the booker of Indiependence last week (there's no way to say that without it sounding made up is there? :o) and he told me they found an awful lot of the acts they were after had been booked for this year's festivals before last years had finished. Now, naturally, they aren't in the same league as EP for bands, but if EP had already secured LCD, Lana del Ray and whoever else early on (say last October, November), is it at all possible that they just ran out of money for their headliners before Radiohead became available?

LCD are apparently charging an absolute fortune, I cant imagine Lana del Ray (I hate her but she's one of the biggest popstars in the world) is cheap, Chemical Brothers too...?

Maybe Im just trying to soften the blow for myself by convincing myself that Radiohead were never realistic, but it seems a little odd to hold them back from the initial announcement if they are booked since they have confirmed a pile of other festivals already? Blur were left out last time but they only announced the bulk of their big gigs last year in about May so it made sense.

--

If the current headliners are the final ones, I would fully expect it to be New Order Friday (a la Pet Shop Boys, Grace Jones, etc), Lana del Ray before Chemical Brothers Saturday and LCD Soundsystem Sunday. Not entirely to my taste but each have their fans (and a lot of them).

I mean, if you add in the likes of Years & Years, Haim, Jack Garratt and Gavin James, for e.g., there's plenty there to pack out the Main Stage for the hot-pants brigade. And, not to sound like a total music snob, but that is who is buying a huge bulk of the tickets at the minute.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,202 ✭✭✭maximoose

I cant imagine Lana del Ray (I hate her but she's one of the biggest popstars in the world)

Is she :confused:

After the announcement was talking to a lot of people in work and noone could name anything by her other than that utterly detestable video games ****e.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement