Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Electric Picnic 2016 // **Discussion Only / NO Ticket Sales / Requests** //

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 339 ✭✭Slobberdawn

MJohnston wrote: »
    Ah sure it's a music thread, gotta expect a bit of passion! I think if someone uses a term like awful they're probably looking for a bit of...interaction

Ah yeah, better than "I'm entitled to my opinion" alright but I'd prefer an explanation of their greatness so that we may all might be enlightened rather than what we're getting.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,539 ✭✭✭ghostdancer

Apart from Todd Terje, none of the acts really jump at me or are overly my thing. Any of my friends say that EP is about way more than just the acts and its an amazing experience in itself. All agree? Not that I was going to sell my ticket any time soon.
    not really, but then i've been going since 2005 so it's all very meh at this stage.
    if there wasn't plenty of acts I wanted to see, I certainly wouldn't bother going.
    If it's your first time I'd imagine you'll enjoy it regardless of who's playing.

But, tbf, Jim did also say he was doubting the accuracy of his source. And if Melvin Benn is now saying the big guns have been announced, then maybe the Radiohead rumour wasn't entirely accurate.

This is entirely possible - but Radiohead skipped Ireland entirely on their last tour. Was it 2008 they last played? it's not impossible that they may sidestep Ireland again entirely. Would be tremendously disappointing though.

I was chatting to the booker of Indiependence last week (there's no way to say that without it sounding made up is there? :o) and he told me they found an awful lot of the acts they were after had been booked for this year's festivals before last years had finished. Now, naturally, they aren't in the same league as EP for bands, but if EP had already secured LCD, Lana del Ray and whoever else early on (say last October, November), is it at all possible that they just ran out of money for their headliners before Radiohead became available?
    Radiohead will have been "available" since last summer at least, going by all the other festivals that they've already been booked for.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,654 ✭✭✭✭MJohnston

Ah yeah, better than "I'm entitled to my opinion" alright but I'd prefer an explanation of their greatness so that we may all might be enlightened rather than what we're getting.

Pretty impossible to explain why you think bands are great though. I mean, a lot of it has to do with a really resonant emotional connection to their songs, their lyrics, or even just their image. And if you don't have that emotional connection, it's kind of difficult to be told that other people love them. And when you DO have that emotional connection, then it can feel personal when people just say "they're awful" without any explanation of their awfulness, so that we might all be enlightened rather than what we are getting ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,355 ✭✭✭cruhoortwunk

maybe in the Autumn/Winter if they do a UK arena tour or something and will play the 3Arena too. they're only doing festivals at the moment, so unlikely they'll be doing an outdoor gig of their own here.
    Only 7 events so far, so lots of gaps in their calendar:
    http://www.songkick.com/artists/253846-radiohead

• Advertisement

Pretty impossible to explain why you think bands are great though. I mean, a lot of it has to do with a really resonant emotional connection to their songs, their lyrics, or even just their image. And if you don't have that emotional connection, it's kind of difficult to be told that other people love them. And when you DO have that emotional connection, then it can feel personal when people just say "they're awful" without any explanation of their awfulness, so that we might all be enlightened rather than what we are getting ;)
    When there's an emotional, historic attachment to an artist/album/song then I agree, you just can't explain it other than to state the attachment.

Otherwise though you could have a bash. There are countless albums that I've had my opinion changed on, both up and down, when I considered specific things about the album that were highlighted to me.

When there's an emotional, historic attachment to an artist/album/song then I agree, you just can't explain it other than to state the attachment.

Otherwise though you could have a bash. There are countless albums that I've had my opinion changed on, both up and down, when I considered specific things about the album that were highlighted to me.

In LCD's case it would be really redundant, as there have been countless thinkpieces written on the internet about their perceived greatness (and I'm sure, plenty taking the opposite view).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,746 ✭✭✭BullBlackNova

maximoose wrote: »
    Is she :confused:

After the announcement was talking to a lot of people in work and noone could name anything by her other than that utterly detestable video games ****e.

She's fairly big alright tbf. I don't like her, find her awfully dull.

But she played a prominent slot at Glastonbury last year, has 3 number one albums basically all over the world, comfortably sold out venues in Ireland every time she has played here and is headlining the Osheaga festival in Canada with RHCP and Radiohead.

Whatever about matters of personal taste, that's the slot she is being pitched for anyway.

And, as I said in my first post, the hot pants brigade will go nuts for her. Her, Haim, Years & Years, Jack Garratt, Gavin James - they have that market sewn up and it will all draw big crowds.

Just go on Twitter or Facebook and search "Lana del Rey" and "electric picnic" and the amount of "I CANT ****ING COPE" and "I NEEEED TO GO" posts is staggering.

--

Re: Radiohead (again) I didn't realise they had so few gigs confirmed - just 7 worldwide. Now I'm even less confident they'll play!!

Don't lump HAIM in with those lot, they're actually good :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,501 ✭✭✭PabloAndRoy

I have a new strategy on my playlist this year. I have one playlist of acts that I am not familiar with and one of acts that I knowwant to see. Some on the former will migrate to the latter. Some will not be on either.

• Advertisement

Lets agree to disagree on that one eh? :o:p

it's more about having different gear/crew requirements for their own gigs. they're only choosing to do festivals this summer so far, so I doubt they're going to change that for little old Ireland. it's either EP or nothing this summer IMO.

Lets agree to disagree on that one eh? :o:p

Fair enough ;) I do think they have more musical depth than the rest though, and are much more lively as a life act.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,760 ✭✭✭Effects

Word is that there's personal reasons behind them not wanting to spend time touring.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,783 ✭✭✭heebusjeebus

I enjoyed Haim in Longitude a few years back.
    Bass Face is always worth a few lols

9664751_wenn21497866_666.jpg

Fair enough ;) I do think they have more musical depth than the rest though, and are much more lively as a life act.

So I'm told, haven't seen it myself.

I did catch Jack Garrett last year and was impressed by his performance but, man, he is boring on record!

So I'm told, haven't seen it myself.

I did catch Jack Garrett last year and was impressed by his performance but, man, he is boring on record!

Also enjoyed him last year... were only a few (200 maybe??) people there IIRC. It's weird how an artist's popularity can blow up in 6 months.

I have seen HAIM live and they are a bit of craic for sure. I am not into their brand of rock'n'roll myself, but I can see the appeal.

Also enjoyed him last year... were only a few (200 maybe??) people there IIRC. It's weird how an artist's popularity can blow up in 6 months.

I have seen HAIM live and they are a bit of craic for sure. I am not into their brand of rock'n'roll myself, but I can see the appeal.

Was thinking the same. I was one of the few hundred there last year.

Similarly with Benajmine Clementine, he plays to a few and then wins the Mercury Prize. I feel like quite the hipster.

Benjamin Clementine was an absolutely stunning live performance last year. Went in knowing one song because of a Picnic Spotify playlist, went out a big fan.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭andreac

I saw Jack too, thought he was very good. Would like to see him again this year.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 578 ✭✭✭the_barfly1

I prefer their early stuff.

I prefer their early stuff.

not sure if trolling .. funny though.

• Registered Users Posts: 315 ✭✭beansybeansy

Radiohead will have been "available" since last summer at least, going by all the other festivals that they've already been booked for.

Bookings were all made very far in advance, When I got my tip about LCD reforming and already being booked for Coachella that was back in August and in that same conversation my contact told me to expect Radiohead and Guns n Roses for Coachella too.

EP is carrying significant debt so all the money they take in will not translate to a boatload of cash to pay for acts, they need to paydown that debt and generate profit for Festival Republic.

LCD are charging Primavera €1million and €2million for Radiohead. EP is comparable in terms of size to Primavera and has much heftier entry fees but than Primavera - which is well subsided by the Spanish arts council - so they do have a bigger band budget than a commercial outfit.

Reckon any additions to the higher tiers would have to be at the lower end of the payscale and they will spend on quantity to fill up the other stages.

Well that's what I reckon - feel free to argue :eek:

not sure if trolling .. funny though.

I happen to really dislike their music and discovered through a mate that this was their previous attempt at fame. Is that trolling?

I happen to really dislike their music and discovered through a mate that this was their previous attempt at fame. Is that trolling?

i was referring to your "prefer their earlier stuff" comment, when its clearly a lot less organic than HAIM and more Nickelodeon manufactured rubbish. But if you actually prefer that, cool :)

I have to admit that I was scratching my head when everyone was fussing over HAIM's album .. "er yeah, so what?, why the fuss?"

• Registered Users Posts: 129 ✭✭HausOfTony

i was referring to your "prefer their earlier stuff" comment, when its clearly a lot less organic than HAIM and more Nickelodeon manufactured rubbish. But if you actually prefer that, cool :)

I have to admit that I was scratching my head when everyone was fussing over HAIM's album .. "er yeah, so what?, why the fuss?"

That's how I feel listening to LCD but going to check them out as everyone says their live show is ace

Same as. Heard them do an in-studio with Fenton a few years ago and they sounded awful.

But anyway, back to Stradbally and all things Stradbally related, I'm very disappointed with the scrapping of the loyalty discount for this round of ticket sales. I usually buy festival tickets this time of year, and have been to most EP's - but there's no way I'm paying what they're asking for tickets this year.

Loads of people on this thread are dying for Radiohead - they're doing NOS Alive in Lisbon in July, where you can get a three day ticket for €119 (camping 20 euro or so more)!!! Get your ass on a Ryanair flight and you could end up with change compared to the price of an EP ticket!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,022 ✭✭✭Peter File

Bookings were all made very far in advance, When I got my tip about LCD reforming and already being booked for Coachella that was back in August and in that same conversation my contact told me to expect Radiohead and Guns n Roses for Coachella too.

EP is carrying significant debt so all the money they take in will not translate to a boatload of cash to pay for acts, they need to paydown that debt and generate profit for Festival Republic.

LCD are charging Primavera €1million and €2million for Radiohead. EP is comparable in terms of size to Primavera and has much heftier entry fees but than Primavera - which is well subsided by the Spanish arts council - so they do have a bigger band budget than a commercial outfit.

Reckon any additions to the higher tiers would have to be at the lower end of the payscale and they will spend on quantity to fill up the other stages.

Well that's what I reckon - feel free to argue :eek:
    I cant see them paying €2million for radiohead. Where did you get that information?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,355 ✭✭✭cruhoortwunk

Same as. Heard them do an in-studio with Fenton a few years ago and they sounded awful.

But anyway, back to Stradbally and all things Stradbally related, I'm very disappointed with the scrapping of the loyalty discount for this round of ticket sales. I usually buy festival tickets this time of year, and have been to most EP's - but there's no way I'm paying what they're asking for tickets this year.

Loads of people on this thread are dying for Radiohead - they're doing NOS Alive in Lisbon in July, where you can get a three day ticket for €119 (camping 20 euro or so more)!!! Get your ass on a Ryanair flight and you could end up with change compared to the price of an EP ticket!
    NOSAlive is just bog standard 2-stage festival though. No smaller tents or sideshows. I think Radiohead will announce a gig or too here and in the UK too

• Advertisement

Beach festivals are a different pup imo, I really don't enjoy them as much myself (city festivals even less so). I'm a big fan of EP and Body & Soul's disconnected feel, off the grid in the middle of nowhere.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement