Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Electric Picnic 2016 // **Discussion Only / NO Ticket Sales / Requests** //

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,501 ✭✭✭PabloAndRoy

With all these people talking of selling their tickets, and the social media backlash, could this be return to former glory for EP? Also, reckon the Faithless gig will take some money out of those hot pants pockets.

Or by the time September comes around, will LCD Soundsystem be cool .. ? (LCD SOundsystem are not a rock band btw, in case you didn't know;)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,760 ✭✭✭Effects

With all these people talking of selling their tickets, and the social media backlash, could this be return to former glory for EP?

Of course not. Just because people are selling tickets makes no difference to the promoters. It's still going to be a sell out weekend.

Effects wrote: »
    Of course not. Just because people are selling tickets makes no difference to the promoters. It's still going to be a sell out weekend.

Yeah but maybe it will attract more people interested in the music, rather than the "being there" element.
    I can dream ..

• Registered Users Posts: 2,726 ✭✭✭Arne_Saknussem

I think the mid tier is quite strong already. At least 11-15 acts i'd want to see in there and there's still a ****ton of announcements to be made.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,106 ✭✭✭scruff monkey
    Snarky Snark Snark

With all these people talking of selling their tickets, and the social media backlash, could this be return to former glory for EP? Also, reckon the Faithless gig will take some money out of those hot pants pockets.

Or by the time September comes around, will LCD Soundsystem be cool .. ? (LCD SOundsystem are not a rock band btw, in case you didn't know;)

You could bet that a seriously solid number of the people complaining on bookface etc... have not actually bought any tickets yet anyway and so have zero impact.

It's the same backlash every year without failure
    1 - i hate the music
    2 - where's my code
    3 - why are those tickets sold out
    4 - insert other complaint here

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,654 ✭✭✭✭MJohnston

(LCD SOundsystem are not a rock band btw, in case you didn't know;)

Ha, someone forgot to tell them that ;)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K3NqGGDO-3E
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QWUPEUdHq44

Shure rock isn't a sound, it's a feeling :)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,539 ✭✭✭ghostdancer

nah, they're still going to go and spend most of the time in the campsite, go to the main stage for Lana Del Rey, Years & Years and Gavin James, the odd trip to the Bacardi bar and Cocktail Cocktail, then go find "da rave in da woods lad".

it'll still be full of people who wish Avicii, Rihanna and Calvin Harris were headliners.

another cracker on the FB page:

dgvNzdW.png

Edit: totally misunderstood this guy. He actually likes the lineup and is whinging about whingers... Social media style (lack of) punctuation is killing the English language and in Mr. Butler's case, masking the intended message.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,573 ✭✭✭Thundercats Ho

Yeah but maybe it will attract more people interested in the music, rather than the "being there" element.
    I can dream ..
    The 'being there' element already had their tickets though.
    That's probably why the loyalty tickets finished up a month early, and there were so few Sunday tickets available.

It'll be brilliant, with our without that sort of crowd there.
    They're easy to spot, so are easy to avoid.
    I think the mid tier is quite strong already. At least 11-15 acts i'd want to see in there and there's still a ****ton of announcements to be made.

Same as. There's around 10 i'd go to already.
    Looking forward to the Avett Brothers (American Folk). Not everyones cup of tea, but they're right up my street.

Whats wrong with the "being there" crowd? I think you're conflating a bunch of different groups with that term! I'm definitely a "being there" type, but I don't think it represents the same thing to me as to you

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,573 ✭✭✭Thundercats Ho

MJohnston wrote: »
    Whats wrong with the "being there" crowd? I think you're conflating a bunch of different groups with that term! I'm definitely a "being there" type, but I don't think it represents the same thing to me as to you

I think the 'being there' term can mean 2 things.
    We all wanna be there, as even without a single act announced, we knew it'd be a class weekend, and we'd see loads of brilliant acts.

The bad 'being there' crowd are the ones who turn up at gigs, because the band are the new hot thing. We're all aware of them, as they never shut the F up during the gig, and are there just to say they were there instead of being actual fans (I know i'm generalising here, but you get my point).

• Registered Users Posts: 456 ✭✭Bootsy.

another cracker on the FB page:

dgvNzdW.png

Edit: totally misunderstood this guy. He actually likes the lineup and is whinging about whingers... Social media style (lack of) punctuation is killing the English language and in Mr. Butler's case, masking the intended message.

Hahaha, nope, I was indeed, taking the piss :P

I think the 'being there' term can mean 2 things.
    We all wanna be there, as even without a single act announced, we knew it'd be a class weekend, and we'd see loads of brilliant acts.

The bad 'being there' crowd are the ones who turn up at gigs, because the band are the new hot thing. We're all aware of them, as they never shut the F up during the gig, and are there just to say they were there instead of being actual fans (I know i'm generalising here, but you get my point).

Yeah, fair enough, that's what I figured was meant! To be honest, I rarely cross paths with that crowd at EP, because I'm off listening to bands the 'seensters' haven't heard yet (and I haven't heard either!)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,467 ✭✭✭Oasis_Dublin

To be fair, we probably are due another headliner. That said, if it sells out, maybe FR won't bother.

What about predictions for the weather then? We've been fairly lucky the last five years, I only remember two wet days. We're probably due a bit of a wash out!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,783 ✭✭✭heebusjeebus

To be fair, we probably are due another headliner. That said, if it sells out, maybe FR won't bother.

What about predictions for the weather then? We've been fairly lucky the last five years, I only remember two wet days. We're probably due a bit of a wash out!

Was baltic for most of EP last year but at least it was dry.
    We are due a miserable wet one though!

Sure last year was one of the ****est summers I can remember, but still had a decent enough EP weekend. I remember a lot of Sunday night rains over the last few years.

What was the year the Beastie Boys played? Can remember that being really ****e weather.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,021 ✭✭✭lbj666

nah, they're still going to go and spend most of the time in the campsite, go to the main stage for Lana Del Rey, Years & Years and Gavin James, the odd trip to the Bacardi bar and Cocktail Cocktail, then go find "da rave in da woods lad".

it'll still be full of people who wish Avicii, Rihanna and Calvin Harris were headliners.

Agreed , think the picnic discovered last year all they need is the constant stream of house music coming from the woods, heineken areas and edm ****e at that cocktail bar to keep those dopes happy.

Lads if ye wanna see a lineup check out the V Festival , Christ !!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭andreac

Yeah it was freezing at night but we were well prepared with loads of layers. Was lovely and warm in my sleeping bag though, i thought we would be froze but it was fine, thank god.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,991 ✭✭✭endainoz

So now that the dust has settled a bit how about sharing some links to people we want to see? Remember hearing this on the radio over the summer and it came on in the playlist so was pleasantly surprised, his other stuff is very catchy too.

Snarky Snark Snark

andreac wrote: »
    Yeah it was freezing at night but we were well prepared with loads of layers. Was lovely and warm in my sleeping bag though, i thought we would be froze but it was fine, thank god.

I did post months ago about it, but tis near time to actually start putting together the master/sticky list of the stuff that you absolutely do need to bring with you. Cold weather gear being kinda high on that, especially for those of us who are of the slap headed persuasion.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,706 ✭✭✭sadie06

Was baltic for most of EP last year but at least it was dry.
    We are due a miserable wet one though!

Getting ready for bed on the Saturday night was hilarious…it was bloody freezing!

Please no, not wet. Cold can be dealt with.

• Registered Users Posts: 10 phuckphace

lbj666 wrote: »
    Agreed , think the picnic discovered last year all they need is the constant stream of house music coming from the woods, heineken areas and edm ****e at that cocktail bar to keep those dopes happy.

Lads if ye wanna see a lineup check out the V Festival , Christ !!

The V lineup is great for the type of festival it is. 2 genuine superstars headlining a pop festival and a pretty interesting act in Sia. It's not trying to be like EP.

Really looking forward to Animal Collective. Have loved this song for years.
    Never seen them live.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,497 ✭✭✭BadTurtle

Don't want to burst your bubble but Animal Collective don't seem to be playing it so far this tour. Almost all stuff off the new album or album tracks from the older albums.

Looking forward to seeing them myself, I was very disappointed no Irish festival booked Panda Bear last year, so this will make up for it. They're supposed to be fairly temperamental live though.

• Registered Users Posts: 339 ✭✭Slobberdawn

BadTurtle wrote: »
    Don't want to burst your bubble but Animal Collective don't seem to be playing it so far this tour. Almost all stuff off the new album or album tracks from the older albums.

Looking forward to seeing them myself, I was very disappointed no Irish festival booked Panda Bear last year, so this will make up for it. They're supposed to be fairly temperamental live though.

Saw them in Vicar Street when they toured the previous album. Colourful is how I'd describe them.

Snarky Snark Snark

Saw them in Vicar Street when they toured the previous album. Colourful is how I'd describe them.

Fun colourful or a bit weird and leaving you wanting to shower afterwards colourful?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,746 ✭✭✭BullBlackNova

BadTurtle wrote: »

I'd be gutted if Animal Collective skipped the 'Merriweather' stuff if I was seeing them.

But 'Golden Girls' from the new album is an absolute belter.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,990 ✭✭✭leakyboots

Really looking forward to Animal Collective. Have loved this song for years.
    Never seen them live.

Good man, thread needs more tunes, not moaning...!

Wolf Alice played a great gig in Longitude last year.
    Ellie is a bit of all right too!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 456 ✭✭Bootsy.

So, a friend posted on FB how she's delighted PJ Harvey is playing the Picnic?

She heard it on 2fm yesterday.

I had thought that PJ Harvey would be playing. She's doing loads of festivals and has nothing booked EP weekend.

Fingers crossed anyway :)

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement