Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Electric Picnic 2016 // **Discussion Only / NO Ticket Sales / Requests** //

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 657 ✭✭✭sally cinnamon89

Im still hoping for either The Strokes, Arcade Fire or The Libertines
    I know the chances are slim but sure..

• Registered Users Posts: 12,581 ✭✭✭✭bodhrandude

Im still hoping for either The Strokes, Arcade Fire or The Libertines
    I know the chances are slim but sure..

Saw the Strokes at Rockness festival in Scotland in 2010, an excellent act. Wouldn't mind them on the EP bill. Keep the Libertines away though, cannot stand Pete Doherty.

If you want to get into it, you got to get out of it. (Hawkwind 1982)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 876 ✭✭✭Euphoria Intensifies

The Libertines gig in the 3Arena last year was fecking fantastic. They'd have to be in a tent at EP to do them justice though.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,163 ✭✭✭TheGoldenAges

Saw the Strokes at Rockness festival in Scotland in 2010, an excellent act. Wouldn't mind them on the EP bill. Keep the Libertines away though, cannot stand Pete Doherty.

The Strokes are a really expensive act now (Money's the only thing that'll get them to do gigs nowadays unfortunately) i.e. why they've only been over to BST and Primavera in the last few years. Arcade Fire could have been an option but I dunno if there's enough in the kitty for them. As for the Libs, they're an option, though I think Pete's doing some festivals with a solo album coming out this summer so Pete on his own might be a good shout.

• Registered Users Posts: 680 ✭✭✭Lemsiper

The Strokes are a really expensive act now (Money's the only thing that'll get them to do gigs nowadays unfortunately) i.e. why they've only been over to BST and Primavera in the last few years. Arcade Fire could have been an option but I dunno if there's enough in the kitty for them. As for the Libs, they're an option, though I think Pete's doing some festivals with a solo album coming out this summer so Pete on his own might be a good shout.

Grand. So much is left in the kitty now?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,706 ✭✭✭sadie06

I'm loving Iggy Pop's new song. If the album is that good I'd like to see him on the bill.

• Registered Users Posts: 891 ✭✭✭mimimcmc

So Red Hot Chilli Peppers are playing Tennants Vital in Belfast the week before EP...hmmmm... :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 19,687 ✭✭✭✭everlast75

Don't understand the hate for the RHCP at all.

Far far worse have played the Picnic. I know musical snobbery exists, but usually there is some basis in fact.

Anyhoo, I'm hoping for maybe Royal Blood, Suede, Wonderstuff, James. Would be happy with that

• Registered Users Posts: 891 ✭✭✭mimimcmc

everlast75 wrote: »

Far far worse have played the Picnic. I know musical snobbery exists, but usually there is some basis in fact.

Anyhoo, I'm hoping for maybe Royal Blood, Suede, Wonderstuff, James. Would be happy with that

ya i think i could see RHCP playing there before Radiohead to be honest (in terms of cost not "suitable fit headliner")

• Registered Users Posts: 1,398 ✭✭✭davywalsh7

Think arcade fire are European exclusives for the two Spanish and Portuguese fests they're doing in July

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,654 ✭✭✭✭MJohnston

Whatever about the hate (it's like how some say smoking too many cigarettes can help you quit smoking; the late 90s made me despise RHCP and everything they stand for), but objectively I really don't see them as the right kind of act to fit on an Electric Picnic billing, especially one that looks like the one we have so far. EP has booked some guff in the past, you're right, but never someone both that huge, and that bad.

MJohnston wrote: »
    Whatever about the hate (it's like how some say smoking too many cigarettes can help you quit smoking; the late 90s made me despise RHCP and everything they stand for), but objectively I really don't see them as the right kind of act to fit on an Electric Picnic billing, especially one that looks like the one we have so far. EP has booked some guff in the past, you're right, but never someone both that huge, and that bad.

Blood Sugar Sex Magik, By the way, Californication were fantastic albums. The rest - whatever. They'd only really play stuff from these anyway.

I'm not a huge fan but I'd definitely be happy if they slotted in. Don't think they would be main headliners but just on before them and I would be happy

Californication is what repelled me in the end. The endless, endless cycling of the music video to the title track on MTV, Q, Kerrang, and whatever other music channels were on Sky at the time. It's the same for me with Oasis.

Californication is what repelled me in the end. The endless, endless cycling of the music video to the title track on MTV, Q, Kerrang, and whatever other music channels were on Sky at the time. It's the same for me with Oasis.

Ah - fair enough. I understand and that's a valid reason for you.

My point was more in general regarding people on here, that's all.

They are entitled to their opinion and me mine. Just voicing mine is all.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,106 ✭✭✭scruff monkey
    Snarky Snark Snark

feck it, they turn up, they turn up, not been a fan in a very long time and the one time I did see them live, i was really really unimpressed.

As with mr. calvin harris (is his music bad or is it just who it would pull in?), I think they'd attract a bit of a drunken skanger element.

There will be plenty on in the tents anyway.

Ah - fair enough. I understand and that's a valid reason for you.

My point was more in general regarding people on here, that's all.

They are entitled to their opinion and me mine. Just voicing mine is all.

Yeah, this is why I tried to put my own feelings aside, and say that objectively, I still don't think they fit as an EP booking. If they were a good 10-15 years older of a band, then yeah, I'd see them as having more potential to play EP (for some reason).

feck it, they turn up, they turn up, not been a fan in a very long time and the one time I did see them live, i was really really unimpressed.

As with mr. calvin harris (is his music bad or is it just who it would pull in?), I think they'd attract a bit of a drunken skanger element.

There will be plenty on in the tents anyway.

The problem is really that you can't say any music is specifically "bad", just that you don't like it. There is no 'bad' art in any form, by it's own definition. If you're into over-produced, under-imaginative, samey EDM (or more realistically, if you're into getting wrecked and moshing around to anything), then Calvin Harris is undoubtedly at the top of that pile for you.

That said, yeah, he would definitely attract a load of the "EP 2015 Cocktail Bar" crowd.

Snarky Snark Snark

The problem is really that you can't say any music is specifically "bad", just that you don't like it.

M'lud, the prosecution would like to enter into evidence that music can be "bad" the following items.

1 - Jason & Kylie - especially for you
    2 - Daniel O'Donnell, his entire life works
    3 - The entire catalog of the Black Eyed Peas, calling specific attention to their "lady Lump/Hump fandango"

M'lud, the prosecution would like to enter into evidence that music can be "bad" the following items.

1 - Jason & Kylie - especially for you
    2 - Daniel O'Donnell, his entire life works
    3 - The entire catalog of the Black Eyed Peas, calling specific attention to their "lady Lump/Hump fandango"

1. "In 2015 the song was voted by the British public as the nation's 20th favourite 1980s number one in a poll for ITV." so, some poor sods liked it (no surprise it's ITV viewers)
    2. "In 2012, he became the first artist to have a different album in the British charts every year for 25 consecutive years." again that's no slouch. Plus I've liked him more ever since his comments during the Marriage Referendum ;)
    3. I actually don't have to stretch too much for that one, their pre-Fergie material was actually good:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LnGIMrQWQN0

Snarky Snark Snark

i am disappoint

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,298 ✭✭✭srm23

The problem is really that you can't say any music is specifically "bad", just that you don't like it. There is no 'bad' art in any form, by it's own definition. If you're into over-produced, under-imaginative, samey EDM (or more realistically, if you're into getting wrecked and moshing around to anything), then Calvin Harris is undoubtedly at the top of that pile for you.

That said, yeah, he would definitely attract a load of the "EP 2015 Cocktail Bar" crowd.

I was staying in Pink Moon so only really saw the cocktail bar empty one morning on my daily run to collect cans in Jimmy Hendrix! certainly stood out a mile from rest of the festival - was it blasting chart tunes in the evenings?

I would prefer RHCP to Radiohead - no interest in seeing RH, but the chillis will play a few tunes and have a decent atmosphere for sat night.

Ugh that cocktail bar was just horrendous. It wasn't as bad as the e-Cigarette place though. Perhaps it was because I had to pass both of them on the way to the Body and Soul area, and they couldn't have been more diametrically opposed vibe wise. Not to mention the ****ing GAA, but that's another story.

The worst thing about the Cocktail Bar for me was that I was already annoyed that the Peacocktails van didn't return from '14 with its amazing Bourbon Brittle cocktails.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,539 ✭✭✭ghostdancer

i find it funny that people single out the cocktail bar, when the whole arena is full of tatty sh1te like that these days. the so-called "oxegen knacks" are in abundance at EP the last few years too.

i find it funny that people single out the cocktail bar, when the whole arena is full of tatty sh1te like that these days. the so-called "oxegen knacks" are in abundance at EP the last few years too.

Like I said, no problem with it existing really, just don't throw it right beside the Body and Soul area, which more often than not features really soft acoustic bands that can be drowned out easily. They also screwed up the Despacio tent placement last year, imo.

Cluster the Cocktail Bar together over near the Heineken container stage, and put the Vaping 'stage' and the Just Eat whateveryouwanttocallit while you're at it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,438 ✭✭✭frantic190

Ugh that cocktail bar was just horrendous. It wasn't as bad as the e-Cigarette place though. Perhaps it was because I had to pass both of them on the way to the Body and Soul area, and they couldn't have been more diametrically opposed vibe wise. Not to mention the ****ing GAA, but that's another story.

The worst thing about the Cocktail Bar for me was that I was already annoyed that the Peacocktails van didn't return from '14 with its amazing Bourbon Brittle cocktails.

I was wandering around for ages on the Friday looking for that thinking they had moved it or something! :(

frantic190 wrote: »
    I was wandering around for ages on the Friday looking for that thinking they had moved it or something! :(

Me too :(

Snarky Snark Snark

I didn't see them at all, they look pretty bloody cool from their website.

I didn't see them at all, they look pretty bloody cool from their website.

They were near one of the entrances in 2014. Had about 10 of those Bourbon Brittles over the weekend. Would love to know how they mixed Bailey's and Bourbon without it curdling!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,752 ✭✭✭Lights On

Skepta & Freddie Gibbs are two great additions, was hoping to see Skepta added to Longitude though!

Edit: Whoops, wrong festival :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 451 ✭✭bd2012

What's this vaping place you speak of? Been a good few years since I've been to the picnic and have ditched the cigarettes in favour of vaping since.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement