Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Electric Picnic 2016 // **Discussion Only / NO Ticket Sales / Requests** //

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 28,193 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

Which basic economic principle are you referring to? Basic empiricism says that you're wrong. You sound like the sort who spent 750,000 on a paper-built two-bed apartment in a drab Dublin satellite town back in 2006.

I'm the guy that saved €650,000.....look it's just wrong to tell people not to pay a few quid over the odds now because tickets will get cheaper, that's a wild guess and could be a stupidly wrong presumption.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,107 ✭✭✭scruff monkey
    Snarky Snark Snark

Can we give the ticket price thing a rest and get back to idle speculation on bands and laughing at people on book face?

There's 6 months yet to go and it's probably best revisited in 5 months time.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,202 ✭✭✭maximoose

look it's just wrong to tell people not to pay a few quid over the odds now because tickets will get cheaper, that's a wild guess and could be a stupidly wrong presumption.

Last year I picked up 3 tickets at face value on Adverts in the weeks leading up the to fest for friends who missed out, and there were plenty more out there.

It's silly to panic people in to paying touts.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,581 ✭✭✭✭bodhrandude

Can we give the ticket price thing a rest and get back to idle speculation on bands and laughing at people on book face?

There's 6 months yet to go and it's probably best revisited in 5 months time.

Yeah couldn't agree more scruff, just wondering the pattern of the next announcements, first Longitude with the second wave of announcements, Life, Body & Soul and Forbidden Fruit and then the May announcement normally for the Picnic.

If you want to get into it, you got to get out of it. (Hawkwind 1982)

• Registered Users Posts: 566 ✭✭✭Blackie_IRL

The next longitude line-up announcement will be telling, there are a number of bands I want to see added to EP (Miike Snow, Bob Moses, M83, Grimes) that are all playing Latitude (same weekend as Longitude). If none of the above appear on next Longitude announcement I'd be confident that some, if not all, are playing EP.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 206 ✭✭BananaR

Apologies if anyones, asked this already - So, in the wake of that very surprising sell out announcement on Fri - any additional line-up rumours fuelling these early ticket sales this year? Finding the whole situation very strange on the basis of a very solid but not mind blowing line-up so far....

BananaR wrote: »
    Apologies if anyones, asked this already - So, in the wake of that very surprising sell out announcement on Fri - any additional line-up rumours fuelling these early ticket sales this year? Finding the whole situation very strange on the basis of a very solid but not mind blowing line-up so far....

I reckon its because everyone had such a gas time last year at EP and the weather been fairly perfect apart from the coldish nights, word of mouth from the people who were at the last one. Its the biggest music camping festival in Ireland now and it has the reputation to not disappoint. The same can be said for Body & Soul festival too, in fact EP is like four smaller festivals along with the main stages and marquees going on at the one time, if you have been there before you will know what I mean.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,519 ✭✭✭Mike Guide 69

Personally speaking, i think its a rather clever PR stunt from the organisers, announce a "sell out", row back on all tickets that were on sale, then down the line announce more acts, release a trickle of tickets to get the juices flowing, those tickets are snapped up and then announce a major headliner (as with those main healiners that are announced, I could see another main/major headliner been added to the bill) and guess what??, more tickets are released around the same time as that major headliner is added, its all down to supply and demand folks................

• Registered Users Posts: 5,107 ✭✭✭scruff monkey
    Snarky Snark Snark

Personally speaking, i think its a rather clever PR stunt from the organisers, announce a "sell out", row back on all tickets that were on sale, then down the line announce more acts, release a trickle of tickets to get the juices flowing, those tickets are snapped up and then announce a major headliner (as with those main healiners that are announced, I could see another main/major headliner been added to the bill) and guess what??, more tickets are released around the same time as that major headliner is added, its all down to supply and demand folks................

If the sales were as good as it seems in the initial release, they've no need to faff around like that, it's counter productive as once people get wise to it then all you achieve is to piss off your punters, never a smart move that.

If the sales were as good as it seems in the initial release, they've no need to faff around like that, it's counter productive as once people get wise to it then all you achieve is to piss off your punters, never a smart move that.

I agree, but its happened before, i'd guarantee there'll be a load of tickets released during the impending summer months...........

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,726 ✭✭✭Arne_Saknussem

A lot of it due to the simple fact that it's been fairly broadly covered on television for the last couple of years too.

It's moved from niche to very definitely mainstream for good or for bad!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,539 ✭✭✭ghostdancer

or don't bother with any of that nonsense and just leave the tickets to sel out naturally, as has almost certainly happened.

or don't bother with any of that nonsense and just leave the tickets to sel out naturally, as has almost certainly happened.

True, it is down to the demand, but those scenarios have also happened...

• Registered Users Posts: 115 ✭✭brannid3

Anyone here still holding out for Radiohead?

I see they have announced a few shows in London, Paris, Amsterdam etc in addition to the festival dates announced. No Irish gig mentioned or any other UK festivals.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,539 ✭✭✭ghostdancer

the solo gigs they announced will be the only ones they do this year, so there won't be any Irish one later in the year or anything.

for the festivals part it says "(announced so far)", so they'll presumably be announcing others, as they're heavily rumoured to be playing Outside Lands, Lollapalooza and ACL.

brannid3 wrote: »

I see they have announced a few shows in London, Paris, Amsterdam etc in addition to the festival dates announced. No Irish gig mentioned or any other UK festivals.

Would love to see it happening, but i doubt it, they would easily do a stand alone show, be Marlay Park or RDS but would be very doubful at this stage now.....

• Registered Users Posts: 115 ✭✭brannid3

Would love to see it happening, but i doubt it, they would easily do a stand alone show, be Marlay Park or RDS but would be very doubful at this stage now.....

Yes but I still have hope!

Apparently all their stand alone gigs have been announced on their W.A.S.T.E site and they hint at only festival slots left.

• Registered Users Posts: 942 ✭✭✭grudgehugger

..., they would easily do a stand alone show, be Marlay Park or RDS but would be very doubful at this stage now.....

Per Ghostdancer's comments above, they've stated there will be NO standalone shows this year other than those announced today. So none in Ireland.

They have also basically said that there are further festival appearances to be announced.

For those of us hoping to see them in Ireland in 2016, it's now basically EP or bust as far as I can see.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,533 ✭✭✭Ferris_Bueller

It's decent, plenty of people around tents during the day/evening and it's got its own bar in the site which is pretty busy and had its own music at night so that you don't get numpties banging out "here's wonderwall" at 2 in the morning

There's a car park really close to it at the paintball entrance, best to use that one. Yes you can bring your drink to the other sites & back again.

Not too bad at all, much better than the main entrances, can get busy at peak times though but quick enough

Cheers for the reply! Put down a deposit today, looking forward to it!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,914 ✭✭✭Rigor Mortis

I'm the guy that saved €650,000.....look it's just wrong to tell people not to pay a few quid over the odds now because tickets will get cheaper, that's a wild guess and could be a stupidly wrong presumption.

To be fair its not really a guess. The experience of irish festivals, going back over a decade is that even when they sell out, the tickets become available close to face value close to the event. That's even more likely this year given the fact that about 20 - 30K tickets were sold to avail of an early bird discount with no sight of the line up.

Even if a guy wants to make a buck, he can sell his early bird at the full face value and still feel ok(ish) about himself.

The fact that the capacity has gone up this year makes it even more likely that tickets will be available at face value in the weeks ahead of the event.

Logic would suggest you might be right, experience suggests even more strongly that you aren't.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,375 ✭✭✭Wrongway1985

brannid3 wrote: »

All headline dates announced they specifically say are the ONLY headline shows they will play.

Saw Opeth in the Roundhouse some time ago class somewhat intimate venue

• Registered Users Posts: 14,465 ✭✭✭✭cson

EP is morphing into Oxegen Mk2 it would seem in terms of numbers/ticket sales.

Fyi there were tickets on sale on TM in the days immediately preceding the weekend last year.

I don't know if its clashing again this year but the All Ireland Hurling Final was on the Sunday and that made me forego the weekend (thank you Galway :o) so I'd imagine a few hundred tickets would be up for grabs if something similar happens this year.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,654 ✭✭✭✭MJohnston

cson wrote: »
    I don't know if its clashing again this year but the All Ireland Hurling Final was on the Sunday and that made me forego the weekend (thank you Galway :o) so I'd imagine a few hundred tickets would be up for grabs if something similar happens this year.

The aforementioned vaping 'stage' had a big screen showing the final (and I think a RWC warm up game). It'll definitely overlap again this year, and probably every year.

Could we see Toots and the Maytals take the Sunday reggae spot for EP this year, they have been announced for The Big Feastival in Cotswolds in England happening between August 26 - 28th.

big-feastival-2016-814x417.png

• Registered Users Posts: 2,573 ✭✭✭Thundercats Ho

Hopefully Toots is able to sing this time!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,990 ✭✭✭leakyboots

Hopefully Toots is able to sing this time!

The bollix left the stage after about three songs last time!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,218 ✭✭✭✭MadYaker

Mr.S wrote: »
    I wonder if that stage ever had the rights to show the game in public - it was just a RTE player stream lol.

**** like that ruins EP, showing matches at a festival :rolleyes:

How exactly does it ruin the festival???

• Registered Users Posts: 190 ✭✭Danger Fourpence

Mr.S wrote: »
    I wonder if that stage ever had the rights to show the game in public - it was just a RTE player stream lol.

**** like that ruins EP, showing matches at a festival :rolleyes:

Pretty sure there isn't a problem broadcasting RTE to a wide audience like that.

How exactly does it ruin the Picnic though?

Should music be played at half time in a match or is it a case of never the twain shall meet? If that ruins your Picnic, your Picnic is easily ruined.

• Registered Users Posts: 733 ✭✭✭sassyj

Pretty sure there isn't a problem broadcasting RTE to a wide audience like that.

How exactly does it ruin the Picnic though?

Should music be played at half time in a match or is it a case of never the twain shall meet? If that ruins your Picnic, your Picnic is easily ruined.

GAA jerseys and straw hats, that's how :p

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,501 ✭✭✭PabloAndRoy

sassyj wrote: »
    GAA jerseys and straw hats, that's how :p

I walked past there last year during a match and while I didn't want to go in, all I saw were people enjoying themselves watching sports. I really fail to see why this is an issue for people. You don't have to go, if others want to, why not?

I didn't see any straw hats, not sure about the GAA jerseys.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement