Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Electric Picnic 2016 // **Discussion Only / NO Ticket Sales / Requests** //

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 339 ✭✭Slobberdawn

bodhrandude was talking about a Daniel Avery live set presumably, in the video posted, he's just DJing with decks and a mixer, not using live equipment like controller pads, snyths, drum machines, etc.

in the video posted, he essentially is just "pressing play", although that's like saying a drummer is just "hitting things" or a pianist is "pressing keys", it may essentially be what it boils down to, but it takes skill and practice to actually make it work together. in the video he's selecting tracks with similar BPMs, making sure that they're lining up on the correct note and beats, mixing in the different low/mid/high frequencies at certain times so that it works properly together.
    Ah I see. So should I take it from the line-up that Mount Kimbie will be playing other people's songs and that Avery will be playing live? Also, Chemical Brothers don't play anything live but I guess that's the only type of set they play?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,107 ✭✭✭scruff monkey
    Snarky Snark Snark

Ah I see. So should I take it from the line-up that Mount Kimbie will be playing other people's songs and that Avery will be playing live? Also, Chemical Brothers don't play anything live but I guess that's the only type of set they play?

A kind poster submitted this for reading a few weeks back, gives a good idea as to what goes into a Chem Bros. set.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=98816449&postcount=1185

• Registered Users Posts: 6,539 ✭✭✭ghostdancer

yeah, i'd imagine Mount Kimbie will be playing mostly other people's songs, certainly won't be playing their own songs using instruments. Daniel Avery will presumably be playing live and doing what bodhrandude mentioned.
    Chemical Brothers play live, although the live aspect of their show has gotten less and less as the years go on and it's all tied into a visual show which leaves less room to improvise during a gig. They use controllers and sequencers to trigger samples at certain times. that might be a vocal sample, a bass line, drum sounds like hi-hats, or whatever. one night they might start a kick drum going by pressing a button a controller pad and let it play for a certain amount of bars before pressing another button to bring in a hi-hat on a certain beat. if they bring it in on the wrong beat, it will sound off and might not match up with the rest of the song later, or might not correspond with the light show or visuals. some nights they might allow the initial kick drum loop to play for a minute before bringing in that hi-hat loop, other nights it might be 20seconds. those are just 2 small components of a song, there might be 20+ components in one song that have to be timed properly for their live show.
    some electronic acts will automate their show so that everything comes in at the correct time and on beat and for a pre-defined amount of time, others will make it up completely on the fly.
    someone like Jon Hopkins improvises a lot when playing live, so his songs are quite a bit different to how they sound on record, and can often be different from night to night depending on what he decides to do.

yeah, i'd imagine Mount Kimbie will be playing mostly other people's songs, certainly won't be playing their own songs using instruments. Daniel Avery will presumably be playing live and doing what bodhrandude mentioned.
    Chemical Brothers play live, although the live aspect of their show has gotten less and less as the years go on and it's all tied into a visual show which leaves less room to improvise during a gig. They use controllers and sequencers to trigger samples at certain times. that might be a vocal sample, a bass line, drum sounds like hi-hats, or whatever. one night they might start a kick drum going by pressing a button a controller pad and let it play for a certain amount of bars before pressing another button to bring in a hi-hat on a certain beat. if they bring it in on the wrong beat, it will sound off and might not match up with the rest of the song later, or might not correspond with the light show or visuals. some nights they might allow the initial kick drum loop to play for a minute before bringing in that hi-hat loop, other nights it might be 20seconds. those are just 2 small components of a song, there might be 20+ components in one song that have to be timed properly for their live show.
    some electronic acts will automate their show so that everything comes in at the correct time and on beat and for a pre-defined amount of time, others will make it up completely on the fly.
    someone like Jon Hopkins improvises a lot when playing live, so his songs are quite a bit different to how they sound on record, and can often be different from night to night depending on what he decides to do.

Very informative. I had read that Chemical Brothers article previously.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,390 ✭✭✭Fatfrog

Some of the music programs available now make it so easy to create electronic music, any sound you want like percussion, strings, certain synths etc. are all available in a pre recorded database.
    But that wasn't always the case, when the chems first started they claimed there was nothing good enough and spent years creating their own library's. Jon Hopkins music contains his own vocals, completely transformed, processed, tweaked and pitched. It's unique to the artist and very difficult to copy.
    The above gives electronic musicians an extra dimension over a guitarist for example as they have to first invent the instrument! (I'm not suggesting they're superior)

But even a regular DJ mixing tracks requires real talent, as ghost dancer pointed out, technically it's very very difficult.
    On the face of it the DJ is playing songs in a random order, but some of the more talented ones have a specific track arrangement that takes you on a journey, highs, maybe some lows, possibly dark and sinister but regardless must keep the crowd going, if the 'moment' is lost its very difficult to get going again. You could use a sex act as a crude analogy, some warm up needed you don't just bail in without the foreplay and obviously the climax isn't at the start ;) !

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,581 ✭✭✭✭bodhrandude

the video posted is a DJ set, not a live set, he's just playing records. you don't go to "see" him do anything, you go to listen to the music. most people don't go to bands to see the guitarist strum chords, they go to hear music.

There was a shorter boiler room set that featured the music from Drone Logic, it was about 40 minutes, but it seems to be haven taken off youtube which is weird as the actual youtube channel is boiler room. They replaced that set with the one I've posted, I can understand why the other one was lifted, it was a great set.

If you want to get into it, you got to get out of it. (Hawkwind 1982)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,533 ✭✭✭Ferris_Bueller

Bit quiet in here tonight.. Would love to see Booka Shade added at some stage, they're at Sonar this year and it's been a few years since they've played Picnic. I think they would be brilliant in the Rankins Wood tent similar to Kalkbrenner last year! Looking forward to some good electronic acts being added in the next announcement or two, have a feeling we will see Kaytranada back too as he is playing a few European festivals in August and has a new album out in May. Edit: Also have heard that Mmoths is going to be playing at EP if anyone is interested in seeing him.

This is apparently leaked for the Rock en Seine announcement, so maybe four or five acts from this will surface in the EP line up.

26th August
    The Last Shadow Puppets
    Eagles of Death Metal
    Two Door Cinema Club
    Birdy Nam Nam
    Caravan Palace
    Breakbot
    Royal Republic

27th August
    Massive Attack
    Edward Sharpe and the Magnetic Zeros
    Sigur Ros
    Bring me the Horizon
    Wolfmother
    Casseurs Flowters

28th August
    Foals
    Iggy Pop
    Sum 41
    Cassius
    Ghinzu
    Gregory Porter.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 14,949 Mod ✭✭✭✭Furious-Red

This is apparently leaked for the Rock en Seine announcement, so maybe four or five acts from this will surface in the EP line up.

26th August
    The Last Shadow Puppets
    Eagles of Death Metal

Two Door Cinema Club
    Birdy Nam Nam
    Caravan Palace
    Breakbot
    Royal Republic

27th August
    Massive Attack
    Edward Sharpe and the Magnetic Zeros

Sigur Ros
    Bring me the Horizon
    Wolfmother

Casseurs Flowters

28th August
    Foals
    Iggy Pop
    Sum 41
    Cassius
    Ghinzu
    Gregory Porter.

Would be happy with them but cant see Wolfmother or BMTH being added :P

• Registered Users Posts: 1,497 ✭✭✭BadTurtle

Thankfully Sum 41 and BMTH are never going to be booked.
    Cassius would be great.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,586 ✭✭✭Canadel

BadTurtle wrote: »
    Thankfully Sum 41 and BMTH are never going to be booked.
    Cassius would be great.
    They'd be amazing for Fat Lip and In Too Deep alone. Not only for the nostalgia factor, but also because they're two f**king serious tunes.

Could add the Offspring, Linkin Park, Limp Bizkit, Alien Ant Farm too. Why not sure?

Could add the Offspring, Linkin Park, Limp Bizkit, Alien Ant Farm too. Why not sure?
    I know you're saying that tongue in cheek and I have little affection for any of those bands but it begs the question as to why EP never books such bands or some of more metal leaning when they play similar festivals in Europe.

In fairness to them, they've booked some decent bands over the last few years like Savages, Drenge, Girl Band etc. but the question still remains.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,586 ✭✭✭Canadel

Why not?

They'd add a bit of much needed oomph to a pretty deflating line-up. Linkin Park for example have arguably as much artistic merit as any of the current line-up barring LCD and they'd fit in well at an indie/alt festival imo. Sum 41 definitely would. Don't know enough about the others to comment.

photo-rock-en-seine-2016-la-programmation-complete-56efc755e2acc.jpg?v=201603211105

Snarky Snark Snark

some of those would be fun, Offspring especially, but soggy biscuits, seriously?

Snarky Snark Snark

photo-rock-en-seine-2016-la-programmation-complete-56efc755e2acc.jpg?v=201603211105

Sharon Jones & Dap Kings and Iggy please

thxbai.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,726 ✭✭✭Arne_Saknussem

Canadel wrote: »
    Why not?

They'd add a bit of much needed oomph to a pretty deflating line-up. Linkin Park for example have arguably as much artistic merit as any of the current line-up barring LCD and they'd fit in well at an indie/alt festival imo. Sum 41 definitely would. Don't know enough about the others to comment.

Deflating for you.

The lineup's great so far, no need for muck like Linkin Park.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,021 ✭✭✭lbj666

Canadel wrote: »
    Why not?

We are only after the first announcement, the line up will get bulked out. EP isn't a cover all genre festival like pukkelpop sziget or any off those. The 90s 00s skate punk /nu metal bands are just not on their radar at all for booking.

To be honest any acts that stokes up mosh pits and stuff like that are not in keeping with what EP likes to book and they are kind of right too. I have seen pits for H09909 and the beastie boys playing Sabotage etc. but that not exactly the same thing.

The other things those bands can still demand a decent fee or slot for rock/metal festivals like reading download rock am ring all those so EP aren't gonna book em just to sit middle top of the bill where most people couldn't care about them or even argue they shouln't be there.

I see your point with variety though , back when the festival starts out all these synthy dance rock, shoe gazey, hipstery, lads with imacs acts were a bit of breathe of fresh air compared to what ya normally saw at an irish festival. Now its just the norm and its just getting very bloody boring to be honest.

lbj666 wrote: »
    We are only after the first announcement, the line up will get bulked out. EP isn't a cover all genre festival like pukkelpop sziget or any off those. The 90s 00s skate punk /nu metal bands are just not on their radar at all for booking.

To be honest any acts that stokes up mosh pits and stuff like that are not in keeping with what EP likes to book and they are kind of right too. I have seen pits for H09909 and the beastie boys playing Sabotage etc. but that not exactly the same thing.

The other things those bands can still demand a decent fee or slot for rock/metal festivals like reading download rock am ring all those so EP aren't gonna book em just to sit middle top of the bill where most people couldn't care about them or even argue they shouln't be there.

I see your point with variety though , back when the festival starts out all these synthy dance rock, shoe gazey, hipstery, lads with imacs acts were a bit of breathe of fresh air compared to what ya normally saw at an irish festival. Now its just the norm and its just getting very bloody boring to be honest.
    You make a lot of valid points. I suppose the more aggressive bands would need to be low key enough to make them affordable.

Still though, I thought At The Drive In would have been an interesting addition considering their sold-out show in Vicar Street.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,539 ✭✭✭ghostdancer

there's often been more rock-y bands at Reading & Leeds that I think would be suitable at EP the week after, off the top of my head over the last few Years; QOTSA, Nine Inch Nails, Deftones, The Gaslight Anthem, Jimmy Eat World, ...And You Will Know Us by the Trail of Dead, Brand New, SOAD and ATD-I as mentioned.

I'd rather see them and similar on the lineup than most of the wishy-washy indie propping up the lineup after playing at B&S, FF and Longitude the previous year and vice-versa.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,726 ✭✭✭Arne_Saknussem

Nine Inch Nails would be a good add, are they touring??

Snarky Snark Snark

Nine Inch Nails would be a good add, are they touring??

Think Reznor promised some new music this year but cannot find anything about tour dates.

there's often been more rock-y bands at Reading & Leeds that I think would be suitable at EP the week after, off the top of my head over the last few Years; QOTSA, Nine Inch Nails, Deftones, The Gaslight Anthem, Jimmy Eat World, ...And You Will Know Us by the Trail of Dead, Brand New, SOAD and ATD-I as mentioned.

I'd rather see them and similar on the lineup than most of the wishy-washy indie propping up the lineup after playing at B&S, FF and Longitude the previous year and vice-versa.

I'd pay double to see SOAD again. QOTSA also a personal favourite.

Ya i mean if we are in the era of a Lana del Rey ,Artic Monkeys, chart topping florence , killers etc. the door should be open for more rock acts, the more alternative critically aclaimed ones at least not talking about the more stadium suited stuff here but i think we all know who'd suit and who wouldn't.

Love a metal stage hidden in the woods.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 14,949 Mod ✭✭✭✭Furious-Red

Agreed , surely if acts like Sam Smith , LDR , Years and Years etc are ok to play even though they are not "The EP type of act" surely a few rockier bands playing would go down well. E.g Deftones , NIN , QOTSA , Wolfmother to name a few.

Turn the Rankins into the Metal/Rock stage :P

Imagine Turisas on the salty dog or any pirate metal band like swashbuckle or any of those.

They're not going to book skate pop rock or nu metal any more than they'll book Eminem or Avicii or Little Mix.
    They haven't and they aren't going to.
    Remember the uproar when The Killers were headliners?
    Or how much bitching was done about Sam Smith or Lana Del Rey or Paolo Nutini? And those are all acts that would fit handily into the bill with no one batting a eyelid if it wasn't for the fact they're all very successful chart toppers.
    You can have your pipedreams of whoever you want playing but being realistic, they simply don't book certain types of music. Its like complaining about Download not having enough jazz.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,878 ✭✭✭Easy Rod

Could see a band like Deafheaven being added considering how critically lauded their albums have been.

On a personal level I would love to see Brand New or Manchester Orchestra added, I think they would sneak through the hipster test.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 129 ✭✭HausOfTony

Exactly, also was there as much uproar or whinging when Sam Smith played in 2012/2013 aka before he was ~mainstream~~?
    They're not going to book skate pop rock or nu metal any more than they'll book Eminem or Avicii or Little Mix.
    They haven't and they aren't going to.
    Remember the uproar when The Killers were headliners?
    Or how much bitching was done about Sam Smith or Lana Del Rey or Paolo Nutini? And those are all acts that would fit handily into the bill with no one batting a eyelid if it wasn't for the fact they're all very successful chart toppers.
    You can have your pipedreams of whoever you want playing but being realistic, they simply don't book certain types of music. Its like complaining about Download not having enough jazz.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement