Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Electric Picnic 2016 // **Discussion Only / NO Ticket Sales / Requests** //

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,108 ✭✭✭scruff monkey
    Snarky Snark Snark

This performance is particularly legendary https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6wzc05H3kPg

Bitch Falcon did push the metal agenda slightly last year as did another Irish band in Body and Soul whose name escapes but most of the heavy bands fall into the hardcore/post-hardcore genre.

I think you meant this https://youtu.be/KlRjYlsC3bc, yours goes to a bunch of dogs.

I wouldn't hold it against him for making money (esp since record sales have fallen off a cliff and his were never exactly massive anyway)
    (he was just following in the footsteps of another legend anyway (https://youtu.be/emM8fGBHafs)

"hardcore/post-hardcore genre", showing my age, i have no idea what this means.

• Registered Users Posts: 339 ✭✭Slobberdawn

I think you meant this https://youtu.be/KlRjYlsC3bc, yours goes to a bunch of dogs.

I wouldn't hold it against him for making money (esp since record sales have fallen off a cliff and his were never exactly massive anyway)

"hardcore/post-hardcore genre", showing my age, i have no idea what this means.

That's the one. As for Iggy, he has a new album out, he can tour. No time for that ****e myself.

Hardcore was what was around in the late 80s and early 90s especially in New York; Biohazard, Sick of it All, Madball etc. Bands such as the untouchable Fugazi and, later on, At The Drive In would fall into post-hardcore. More recently bands such as Savages, Girl Band could be considered post-hardcore.

For homework, listen to Fugazi's full discography 14 times.

Snarky Snark Snark

God no, I remember fugazi, no, just no...

nothin wrong with them, just not my bag

Savages I've been listening too cos they is playing, like them I do, bit of melodic grunt going on there.
    Girl Band I don't know, on list to look into if similar.

Iggy is touring, hence hopes he might pop up.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 14,950 Mod ✭✭✭✭Furious-Red

I remember watching Savages from Glastonbury last year or the year before on BBC and thought they were rubbish, not my cup of tea.

Girl band ive heard loads about but never listened to them

• Registered Users Posts: 1,163 ✭✭✭TheGoldenAges

Bloc Party a good shout I guess since they haven't been announced for anything yet?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,585 ✭✭✭✭bodhrandude

A still I took from one of my videos of Jon Hopkins at EP 2015.

12321254_10207454175486738_8718413694347039907_n.jpg?oh=174bee72b1c490706496bd812e177b48&oe=57889D79&__gda__=1464622216_7b9a54f9a73d92d5711d64632ffda943

If you want to get into it, you got to get out of it. (Hawkwind 1982)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,212 ✭✭✭Beanstalk

Great video, great tune!

Savages I've been listening too cos they is playing, like them I do, bit of melodic grunt going on there.

I agree, they're perfect.:)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,497 ✭✭✭BadTurtle

Girl Band are the best Irish band going, easily.
    Would be a disaster if the Picnic didn't book them this year after the year they've had

• Registered Users Posts: 1,878 ✭✭✭Easy Rod

BadTurtle wrote: »
    Would be a disaster if the Picnic didn't book them this year after the year they've had

Caught the end of their set in one of the tents last year, twas pretty fantastic.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 741 ✭✭✭gandalfio

Everything crossed for Iggy. New album collaboration with Josh Homme is exceptional

Snarky Snark Snark

gandalfio wrote: »
    Everything crossed for Iggy. New album collaboration with Josh Homme is exceptional

Tis but their tour seems to end way too early in the year so hoping they've a bunch of festival dates lined up which are just not announced yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 215 ✭✭GhostMutt30

I'd be very surprised to see a 'known' metal band announced or even a hard rock band was it last year or the year before all the rumours surrounded Queens of the Stone Age headlining which obviously didn't happen. Although, would it be a stretch to see EODM added? They're doing a few festivals and have the added feelgood factor to them now. I think they'd fit in very nicely personally

• Registered Users Posts: 657 ✭✭✭sally cinnamon89

Bloc Party a good shout I guess since they haven't been announced for anything yet?

They would be great

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,746 ✭✭✭BullBlackNova

BadTurtle wrote: »

Best album released in Ireland in about a decade, and the best live band in the country by a long shot.

My only concern would be that they have cancelled every gig they've scheduled since about October last year, with the exception of one coming up in Vicar Street in a few weeks.

The lead singer suffered from anxiety when writing and recording the album (they've talked very openly about it since) and when a heap of gigs were cancelled last year, it was due to "illness" with no additional info given.

Hopefully they'll get back out there this year, though. There's a lot of love for Girl Band in Ireland and internationally and they could really make a success of themselves if they seize the chance.

Saw them twice at Electric Picnic last year - the best two shows I saw at the festival by a long shot. Absolutely phenomenal.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,298 ✭✭✭srm23

Will the Electric Ireland tent be back?
    any chance of Cascada for that?

Best album released in Ireland in about a decade, and the best live band in the country by a long shot.

My only concern would be that they have cancelled every gig they've scheduled since about October last year, with the exception of one coming up in Vicar Street in a few weeks.

The lead singer suffered from anxiety when writing and recording the album (they've talked very openly about it since) and when a heap of gigs were cancelled last year, it was due to "illness" with no additional info given.

Hopefully they'll get back out there this year, though. There's a lot of love for Girl Band in Ireland and internationally and they could really make a success of themselves if they seize the chance.

Saw them twice at Electric Picnic last year - the best two shows I saw at the festival by a long shot. Absolutely phenomenal.
    Can't say I get the hype. I saw them last year alright and the gig was entertaining but I think their music is lacking something.

I think they played the year before so I wouldn't expect them to be named for three years in a row.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,901 ✭✭✭Mince Pie

Whole heartedly agree. I did the same and watched them twice at EP. Was captured in their spell. Messaged them to see if they were booked for Glasto and not this year but said gig and festival annoucements coming after the Vicar St gig. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,501 ✭✭✭PabloAndRoy

Can't say I get the hype. I saw them last year alright and the gig was entertaining but I think their music is lacking something.

I think they played the year before so I wouldn't expect them to be named for three years in a row.

Also don't get the hype. Yes the Buzzcocks were a great pop band, 38 years ago. I'm sorry it's good music, just a bit old fashioned for my own taste. What's new here? Maybe I'm missing something.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,901 ✭✭✭Mince Pie

Also don't get the hype. Yes the Buzzcocks were a great pop band, 38 years ago. I'm sorry it's good music, just a bit old fashioned for my own taste. What's new here? Maybe I'm missing something.

Shure isn't it what we all love about music and the waiting for the line up. Waiting to see that one band that really excites you and makes you giddy.
    Plenty of bands people love and I feel like I've missed a meeting but no point in having lots of stages at a festival if we all wanna see the same thing.

And always got me spoons if theres feck all on but never happens. :D

Personally for me with Girlband its an old punk sound with a twist and they are mesmorising (for me anyway) performing.

• Advertisement

Iggy with the Stooges 2007 at Glastonbury, there is no footage of the EP show but its the same band and more or less some of the same set.

• Registered Users Posts: 748 ✭✭✭declanleo

Lcd announced they are playing the Friday night

• Registered Users Posts: 657 ✭✭✭sally cinnamon89

declanleo wrote: »

Link ?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,218 ✭✭✭✭MadYaker

• Registered Users Posts: 456 ✭✭Bootsy.

declanleo wrote: »

Yeah, in Tralee :p Haha, they are a few miles off there. They just have 7pm on the Friday down which is just when the festival starts, so we still don't know what day they are playing.

It's on their Facebook page.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,218 ✭✭✭✭MadYaker

They said September 2nd which is the Friday.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,746 ✭✭✭BullBlackNova

MadYaker wrote: »
    They said September 2nd which is the Friday.

Most of the acts will just list the first day of the festival in their tour dates. Promoters will reveal the full details closer to the time then.

LCD may well play on Saturday, but if you look at most of the bands playing EP this year they will have Friday listed on their dates and they will end up on other days in most cases.

I'd be surprised too - LCD are the big name this year so that would usually mean Saturday or Sunday. But, stranger things have happened.

I see 10cc are playing Wychwood festival in the UK this summer, would be a classic act to scoop for EP.

Mince Pie wrote: »
    Shure isn't it what we all love about music and the waiting for the line up. Waiting to see that one band that really excites you and makes you giddy.
    Plenty of bands people love and I feel like I've missed a meeting but no point in having lots of stages at a festival if we all wanna see the same thing.

And always got me spoons if theres feck all on but never happens. :D

Personally for me with Girlband its an old punk sound with a twist and they are mesmorising (for me anyway) performing.
    I wanted to see them having missed them the previous yea and I'm into the genre, broadly speaking but I found that they don't play a lot of guitar chords. There's an anthem feel to some of your stuff with the vocalist dictating things but I just found that their guitar stuff is sorely lacking.

• Advertisement

Do you ever get that feeling at the Picnic sometimes that you are a zombie from outer space.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement