Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Electric Picnic 2016 // **Discussion Only / NO Ticket Sales / Requests** //

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,822 ✭✭✭✭Dtp1979

J o e wrote: »
    Surely this wont sell out for months yet?

Entire picnic sold out 15 mins ago

• Registered Users Posts: 21 PerryGroves7

one week on, post picnic listening has been nick cave mostly, my brother thinks I am depressed, cant be doing with anything upbeat, missed him when he played picnic before, late convert but love his stuff. anyone see him last time he played? does it convert well live?

Sure, we're ALL depressed...aren't we?

Apart from the obligatory going to work, I've barely left my room. Binge-watching a new Netflix series (bloodline) is the extent of my motivation. Oh, and the War on Drugs has been my post picnic soundtrack. A mix of sadness tinged with euphoria.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,822 ✭✭✭✭Dtp1979

Dtp1979 wrote: »

Kidding

• Registered Users Posts: 310 ✭✭TenPicnics

one week on, post picnic listening has been nick cave mostly, my brother thinks I am depressed, cant be doing with anything upbeat, missed him when he played picnic before, late convert but love his stuff. anyone see him last time he played? does it convert well live?

I've seen him at EP more than once, in his various incarnations, and he is phenomenal. One of the highlights each time. And I've also been sent into another dimension at some of his live shows here in Dublin over the last 20 years. But I've also experienced what I think was one of the top 10 performance experiences of my life seeing him a couple of years ago....at a smaller off-shoot of EP that can't be named for fear of being swamped cough cough lough

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,413 ✭✭✭Toulouse

I've had Jon Hopkins' Glasto set on repeat all week. Seeing him was one of the best hours of my year.

Much as I miss EP I'm really glad it's not this weekend, torrential rain here in Laois tonight!

• Advertisement

Toulouse wrote: »
    I've had Jon Hopkins' Glasto set on repeat all week. Seeing him was one of the best hours of my year

The Hopkins/Blur clash caused me a massive headache. Actually kind of ruined blur for me wondering if I'd made the right choice. I guess I'll never know, but I have my suspicions....

• Registered Users Posts: 108 ✭✭charlietully

TenPicnics wrote: »
    I've seen him at EP more than once, in his various incarnations, and he is phenomenal. One of the highlights each time. And I've also been sent into another dimension at some of his live shows here in Dublin over the last 20 years. But I've also experienced what I think was one of the top 10 performance experiences of my life seeing him a couple of years ago....at a smaller off-shoot of EP that can't be named for fear of being swamped cough cough lough

I need to see him, listening to murder ballads just now, O'Malleys bar?? unbelievable song writing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,568 ✭✭✭✭siblers

The Hopkins/Blur clash caused me a massive headache. Actually kind of ruined blur for me wondering if I'd made the right choice. I guess I'll never know, but I have my suspicions....

Similar to myself at the time, I did find Blur amazing but I was at the very front, watching it back on tv it didn't seem quite as good but they were my band of the weekend so I can't complain. I figured at the time, there was a greater chance of me seeing Jon Hopkins again at EP than Blur which I'm basing off sheer optimism over anything else.

I've had Jon Hopkins' Glasto set on repeat all week. Seeing him was one of the best hours of my year.

Much as I miss EP I'm really glad it's not this weekend, torrential rain here in Laois tonight!

caught Hopkins as well, he was immense, not too packed either thanks to blur which suited perfectly.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,496 ✭✭✭Fatfrog

There was a guy at Hopkins with a very large camera, definitely a TV size camera, I presumed he was from RTE? Anyone see any Hopkins coverage? Mind you he only stayed for 2-3 songs max.

• Advertisement

caught Hopkins as well, he was immense, not too packed either thanks to blur which suited perfectly.

I know, right? Yet everyone I talk to seems to have been there!

I was right at the front barrier and I was really expecting to be mashed by the end but I had plenty of room to dance.

My friend said the exact same after he went to Blur instead of coming with me. I reassured him he'd made the wrong choice :P

siblers wrote: »
    I figured at the time, there was a greater chance of me seeing Jon Hopkins again at EP than Blur which I'm basing off sheer optimism over anything else.

Exactly this.

The "Britpop era" was the first moment where I actually felt like I had chosen a side, if that makes sense.
    Blur, pulp, oasis, that was my school years but I never got to see any of them. I couldn't have lived with myself for not going to see blur at EP. Being beside the monitor I was further back than at any other point during the weekend and maybe that made it feel a bit of an anticlimax. Still had a great time though.

Exactly this.

The "Britpop era" was the first moment where I actually felt like I had chosen a side, if that makes sense.
    Blur, pulp, oasis, that was my school years but I never got to see any of them. I couldn't have lived with myself for not going to see blur at EP. Being beside the monitor I was further back than at any other point during the weekend and maybe that made it feel a bit of an anticlimax. Still had a great time though.

If it's any consolation the Hopkins/Blur clash was my worst nightmare as they were the two acts that I really wanted to see.

However I had seen Blur at Kilmainham so Hopkins won.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭andreac

Am I the only one who thought But were terrible? I wasn't impressed at all and we left after a few songs.

I know, right? Yet everyone I talk to seems to have been there!

I was right at the front barrier and I was really expecting to be mashed by the end but I had plenty of room to dance.

defo not bunged, 3 of us at it and we were standing over by the exit to the left of the stage dancing away, there was a clear gap to the bulk of the main crowd, the security dicks came swooping down and removed a little pick me up we were sharing around. no excuse for openly doing that on our part but in a packed tent would not be noticed.

• Registered Users Posts: 89 ✭✭sputnick123

Dtp1979 wrote:

Bollox

andreac wrote: »
    Am I the only one who thought But were terrible? I wasn't impressed at all and we left after a few songs.

No, you're not. We headed over to catch the end of the set after Hopkins but we didn't stay for more than one song.

O'Connell and love for picnic next year, larry from Alabama 3s latest project, beautiful album called minesweeping, I'm not allowed to post links as not been on the site long enough. its on Spotify, get it on it peeps.

No, you're not. We headed over to catch the end of the set after Hopkins but we didn't stay for more than one song.

straight to the 2 bears

• Advertisement

straight to the 2 bears

Which is what I should have done but I was lucky to get anyone to come to Hopkins with me so didn't push it. Next year I'm totally doing my own thing.

Next year I'm totally doing my own thing.

It's a balancing act I think. War on drugs, tame impala, and a few others I happily went to on my own, knowing full well I'd be in a foul mood if I missed out!
    However, nothing beats being with your mates, so a bit of flexibility is sometimes required. Plus sometimes they know best, and following their lead can be a blessing.

It's a balancing act I think. War on drugs, tame impala, and a few others I happily went to on my own, knowing full well I'd be in a foul mood if I missed out!
    However, nothing beats being with your mates, so a bit of flexibility is sometimes required. Plus sometimes they know best, and following their lead can be a blessing.

Well I went to Le Galaxie on my own because I definitely wasn't missing them but ended up bumping into other friends there by chance so didn't end up totally on my own. However I would have been fine even if I hadn't met them because the crowd around me were such good fun.

Having said that, I did see some bands with them that I loved that I wouldn't have seen otherwise.

My mates can just be a bit funny about me wandering around on my own at night!

My mates can be a bit funny about me wandering around on my own at night!

Mine usually can't wait to get rid of me! 😆

That was a joke. I think.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,568 ✭✭✭✭siblers

I'd feel kinda bad dragging my friends to see some of the bands I wanted to see, as I knew they'd have no interest in them really but at the same time, being on your own isn't the same. My mate really wanted to see The War On Drugs so me and another guy headed along, it turned out that Red Eyes was the song of the weekend for me.

I really wanted to see Chvrches but went with Hot Chip instead, skipped Circa Waves for Interpol too but can't complain.

I'd feel kinda bad dragging my friends to see some of the bands I wanted to see, as I knew they'd have no interest in them really but at the same time, being on your own isn't the same. My mate really wanted to see The War On Drugs so me and another guy headed along, it turned out that Red Eyes was the song of the weekend for me.

I really wanted to see Chvrches but went with Hot Chip instead, skipped Circa Waves for Interpol too but can't complain.

I hear you. Red Eyes was phenomenal. Granduciel knows how to play a guitar, that's for sure.
    I went in on my own, worked my way to the front and ended up sandwiched in between these two lovely women in their 50s who befriended me and we had the best time. Just another random EP moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 181 ✭✭Martin_D

Another downside is the distance that you are from the main arena .. 30 minutes to get to main stage.

We have stayed in campervan since 2013 and this year the facilities up there were very poor. The toilet disposal spot was full on both Saturday and Sunday by 2pm. This is a major problem btw and negates one of the main advantages of having a camper, cos once its full your toilet is out of commission. For us on the Sunday our toilet became ladies only in order that we got through to Monday. Apparently the site toilets at the top of the field were also a disgrace for most of the weekend. So what exactly did we pay for?

I see the campervan prices have increased quite a bit for 2016 also, 83 quid including charges to park in a field, miles from the stages, with dreadful facilities. I love our camper and we use it all the time, not only for festivals, but this is poor value.

This year I drew the short straw and got the drive home on Monday while my better half slept through the journey and arrived home in her pyjamas (now that is an advantage!).

Have to agree with you on this - €80+ next year - another wheez.
    Have nabbed the ticket to have it in the bag but will be lobbying them for improved facilities for next year. Just a few more loos (kept in good order); a couple more Black waste points and a bit more policing of the "added" camping groups that spring up in your space (not against the awnings/gazebos it's the mini Villages set up by some folk that can annoy) would do.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,496 ✭✭✭Fatfrog

I hear you. Red Eyes was phenomenal. Granduciel knows how to play a guitar, that's for sure.
    I went in on my own, worked my way to the front and ended up sandwiched in between these two lovely women in their 50s who befriended me and we had the best time. Just another random EP moment.

It was pure class, their live sound is unbelievable!
    My only small gripe was the vocals throughout, Adam sang at a slightly different pitch with different timings. It was on purpose and in its own right sounded ok, (I must stress I didn't expect them to replicate album sound either) but the difference was slightly off putting!!

http://youtu.be/nmy32-Jt47A

True horrors ;) went to get something out of my car and remembered I still haven't tackled the car boot!! Wellies, cooler box, loose cans of red bull, tent, sleeping bags to name but a few items :(

• Registered Users Posts: 181 ✭✭Martin_D

Lads this is the EP 2016 Thread - go to EP 2015 for the review/commentary on last weekend

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,290 ✭✭✭scruff monkey
    Snarky Snark Snark

ah let them go on a bit, before you know it this thread will be 400 pages long and no one will give a toss

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement