Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Electric Picnic 2016 // **Discussion Only / NO Ticket Sales / Requests** //

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,586 ✭✭✭✭bodhrandude

Think you are very wrong there. Very very wrong, have a look at the list of those who played the Marquee

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Live_at_the_Marquee_(festival)

There are several who would be more than top tier headliners but we're not going to get them.

She might not appeal to you but in terms of what's out there at the moment, she's top drawer material.

I see your point, but I still think she is a sub headliner.

If you want to get into it, you got to get out of it. (Hawkwind 1982)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,112 ✭✭✭scruff monkey
    Snarky Snark Snark

Well that point is just dismissing your one on her having only played the Marquee here.

In terms of acts announced, it's very possible that she's sold the most albums by a large measure (not joking), she easily leaves LCD in the dust, she's shifted 10 million albums, for a still relatively new artist that's an incredible achievement (esp since that's in the post p2p era) and shows her to be very popular.

She is a headliner.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 throwball

I think we're possibly getting a bit carried away at the prospect of Lana Del Rey being a headliner. Even if she is, she's not near the levels of popularity that Sam Smith or Hozier were at in the last two years. A simple google trends search will tell you that in the last two years the likes of Ellie Goulding have been more popular in terms of search traffic.

For that reason I think she may be a sub-headliner. If she is a headliner then I would expect some big B or C-list names in the next announcement because there are very few big budget acts in the first announcement, if any.

Snarky Snark Snark

Big budget? You did see the numbers bandied about online for LCD?

• Registered Users Posts: 3 throwball

Haven't seen any numbers no, but dya reckon it's far above that of Outkast, The Killers, Arctic Monkeys, Florence, Bjork from the past few years?

• Advertisement
    Snarky Snark Snark

Their Coachella fee was rumoured to be in the million ballpark (http://goo.gl/oCg32C) and AEG have stumped up a truck load of cash for them to tour (and will want a return on that) so it's possible they could cost more than some of those, certainly more than Arctic Monkeys and Bjork.

'Murican money figures aside, I don't know if they've got the ability to get that sort of cash in europe but it's certainly a guideline.

• Registered Users Posts: 339 ✭✭Slobberdawn

New Valley Wolves played the Body & Soul stage on Friday last year (I think) and they've confirmed themselves for both the Oxjam tent and the Word Stage (?) for September 2 which, of course, could be any of the three days.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,393 ✭✭✭Fatfrog

Well Lana Del Ray definitely isn't a headliner and the Chemical Brothers is an after headliner so there is space for two headliners yet in that line up, Lana played to about 2,000 people in the Marquee Cork on her last visit to Ireland that dosen't sound like a headliner status crowd.

I agree I don't think Lana's a headliner!
    You could make the records sold/YouTube views argument, but I think Lana has broken into many countries, more than most artists. I wouldn't have said she was that popular in Ireland? Ellie Goulding would be a similar profile, played the main stage 8ish if I remember correctly.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,539 ✭✭✭ghostdancer

LDR is a "headliner" in the same way Sam Smith was a "headliner". there'll be someone on after her on the main stage. whether that's someone already announced (LCD, Chems, New Order), or an act that has yet to be announced remains to be seen.

Their Coachella fee was rumoured to be in the million ballpark (http://goo.gl/oCg32C) and AEG have stumped up a truck load of cash for them to tour (and will want a return on that) so it's possible they could cost more than some of those, certainly more than Arctic Monkeys and Bjork.

'Murican money figures aside, I don't know if they've got the ability to get that sort of cash in europe but it's certainly a guideline.
    the AEG deal is for 3 US festivals, makes little difference to their fees here. Outkast were charging 1m+.

• Advertisement
    Snarky Snark Snark

That I did not know.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,706 ✭✭✭sadie06

I think LDR will be a headliner. She's shifted a lot of units, and while I wouldn't be a huge fan, I can appreciate that she would create a very atmospheric late night mood. I'd look forward to it!

I vote we all throw in an extra 20 quid to get Radiohead!

Snarky Snark Snark

20 quid = my weekends supply of beer for the camping site, so no.

Fair enough….Travis it is so. :-)

Plus, looking at the video for Daydreaming, would Thom even find his way to the stage?

• Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭DanielSwords

I see Jake Bugg is playing The Olympia on November 5th. I had been hoping he'd play EP

Snarky Snark Snark

No Travis, I've had three glorious weather weekends so far down there in a row.

Those ****ers and that song would be just tempting fate.

• Registered Users Posts: 541 ✭✭✭mejulie805

sadie06 wrote: »
    looking at the video for Daydreaming, would Thom even find his way to the stage?

That song makes me sad! Poor Thom :(

Snarky Snark Snark

mejulie805 wrote: »
    That song makes me sad! Poor Thom :(

Listening to the album at the moment, I am shocked, totally shocked i tells ye

there's actual songs on it

with words

and and tunes!:eek:

No Travis, I've had three glorious weather weekends so far down there in a row.

Those ****ers and that song would be just tempting fate.

oh come on, i'm sure you'd have a Magnificent Time :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,746 ✭✭✭BullBlackNova

James Blake's new album is absolutely superb. Getting him in to headline the EA when Lana del Ray is on the main stage would be a great booking IMO.

Also, on the LDR headliner or not, I reckon she is. She's a pretty major popstar who (for some reason) seems to have some degree of artistic credibility attached to her (NME, Pitchfork, Q, etc all laud her) so I'd say she'll be top billing some night.

Just taking into account all of the other major festivals in Europe, there aren't a huge amount of headliners doing the rounds this summer, and some (Reading & Leeds for e.g.) have taken a punt on smaller bands making the step up - Foals, Disclosure, Biffy Clyro and Fall Out Boy there.

I think EP would have announced Radiohead if they had them, and people like PJ Harvey have quite a small number of headline dates announced. Others, like Sigur Ros, already have Irish dates announced so likely won't do a second.

There may well be more headliners to be added, but I'm just struggling to think of who.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 14,950 Mod ✭✭✭✭Furious-Red

If Sam Smith didnt headline last year then its safe to say neither will LDR

Listening to the album at the moment, I am shocked, totally shocked i tells ye

:

Loving it…but I've loved everything by them.

I mention Travis as they are on the go this summer and have a new album apparently. They hit a couple of high points with what I call their 'banjo' album, but are otherwise dull.

Nostalgia band at this stage I think.

I'm really hoping for Beth Orton, who also has a new album coming out and is on the move over the summer.

Snarky Snark Snark

In other news, 116 sleeps till.

• Registered Users Posts: 569 ✭✭✭Blackie_IRL

I think they will have another headliner held back. Not adding quality to the existing line-up because it sold out early is short term thinking. If the line-up was substandard they risk losing ticket sales next year IMO. Considering the increase in capacity and the fact that festival republic are behind EP they will be very focused on the brand and having a number of high profile headliners. Personally I think Radiohead are to be announced based on nothing but gut instinct.

Snarky Snark Snark

Headliners would have been signed sealed and committed long before it had sold out.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,057 ✭✭✭timmyntc

I think they will have another headliner held back. Not adding quality to the existing line-up because it sold out early is short term thinking. If the line-up was substandard they risk losing ticket sales next year IMO. Considering the increase in capacity and the fact that festival republic are behind EP they will be very focused on the brand and having a number of high profile headliners. Personally I think Radiohead are to be announced based on nothing but gut instinct.

I would hope you're right, as that would be the main attraction for me. None of the other headliners are really worth the price for me.

However the reality is the EP will sell out every year, maybe later some years than others but it will until some competition arises. Until then all the domestic festival go-ers will flock to it, and I don't doubt the organisers know this

• Registered Users Posts: 2,354 ✭✭✭nocoverart

Not a hope that Radiohead play EP this year, and that's based on nothing but gut instinct.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,057 ✭✭✭timmyntc

nocoverart wrote: »
    Not a hope that Radiohead play EP this year, and that's based on nothing but gut instinct.

Well there is a 3 week gap in their touring schedule into which EP falls, but apart from that coincidence then yeah, it's unlikely to say the least

• Registered Users Posts: 569 ✭✭✭Blackie_IRL

timmyntc wrote: »
    Well there is a 3 week gap in their touring schedule into which EP falls, but apart from that coincidence then yeah, it's unlikely to say the least
    nocoverart wrote: »

They have no irish dates this year. I know they missed us on the KOL tour but before that they were regular enough visitors to these shores. I cannot see irish promoters missing out again, of course they could be lined up for Arena dates later in the year but I think, like Blur last year, this would be a major coup for EP, and exactly the type of high profile act Festival Republic promised when they bought out Reynolds share in the picnic.

• Advertisement
    Snarky Snark Snark

Maybe we're all barking up the wrong tree and they're waiting for the Northern Ireland thing to sell out before hoofing rhcp onto the bill.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement