Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Electric Picnic 2016 // **Discussion Only / NO Ticket Sales / Requests** //

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,538 ✭✭✭Ferris_Bueller

Hard to know what to predict regarding remaining headliners. On one hand I would think that the current trio of LCD, Chem Bros & Lana Del Rey are big enough to be the final 3 headliners, but last year we got Sam Smith who was kind of a surprise and seemed to bump Underworld down to a sub headliner. I also think there is 100% 2 more sub headliners or headliners to come.. 2015 was Grace Jones & Underworld (Fri), Sam Smith & Blur (Sat), Manics & Florence (Sun), 2014 was Foals & Petshop Boys (Fri), Portishead & Chic (Sat), Beck & Outkast (Sun). From what's announced this year I can see New Order, Chemical Brothers, LCD & Lana taking up 4 of them slots, so therefore 2 more to come. Is there room for Radiohead? It's anyones guess but looking around at other festivals my gut instinct would be that they will be announced, would make sense with why they have been slower with a 2nd announcement after their album was announced.

Not sure who else to expect, PJ Harvey, Bloc Party, M83, Two Door Cinema Club, James Blake, Edward Sharpe, The 1975, Kaytranada, Catfish & the Bottlemen, Fatima Yamaha, Moderat, Four Tet.. Never going to get all of them but they're just some names who keep popping up and seem to be free the weekend of EP. Not sure what people would and wouldn't like but definitely a few names there I'd love to see!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,393 ✭✭✭Fatfrog

Hard to know what to predict regarding remaining headliners. On one hand I would think that the current trio of LCD, Chem Bros & Lana Del Rey are big enough to be the final 3 headliners, but last year we got Sam Smith who was kind of a surprise and seemed to bump Underworld down to a sub headliner. I also think there is 100% 2 more sub headliners or headliners to come.. 2015 was Grace Jones & Underworld (Fri), Sam Smith & Blur (Sat), Manics & Florence (Sun), 2014 was Foals & Petshop Boys (Fri), Portishead & Chic (Sat), Beck & Outkast (Sun). From what's announced this year I can see New Order, Chemical Brothers, LCD & Lana taking up 4 of them slots, so therefore 2 more to come. Is there room for Radiohead? It's anyones guess but looking around at other festivals my gut instinct would be that they will be announced, would make sense with why they have been slower with a 2nd announcement after their album was announced.

Not sure who else to expect, PJ Harvey, Bloc Party, M83, Two Door Cinema Club, James Blake, Edward Sharpe, The 1975, Kaytranada, Catfish & the Bottlemen, Fatima Yamaha, Moderat, Four Tet.. Never going to get all of them but they're just some names who keep popping up and seem to be free the weekend of EP. Not sure what people would and wouldn't like but definitely a few names there I'd love to see!

M83 would be welcome ;) !!

Would love to see Grimes and ever since Coachella, Bob Moses would a real treat!!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,652 ✭✭✭Seathrun66

I think Ferris_Bueller is on the money with his assessment of at least two more headliners or sub-headliners. I'd be very surprised if Radiohead weren't one of them. The festival now has a capacity of over 50,000 and the associated money should ensure that the Oxford lads are on the way. I'd also expect the return of Brian Wilson who's playing a small Brighton festival on the Saturday night on his Pet Sounds tour. Other possibilities are Iggy Pop, M83, Grimes, Teenage Fanclub, Joanna Newsom and acts from End of the Road/Festival No 6 the same weekend. I reckon we're about to get the best line-up there since 2005 or 2007.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,586 ✭✭✭✭bodhrandude

Seathrun66 wrote: »
    I think Ferris_Bueller is on the money with his assessment of at least two more headliners or sub-headliners. I'd be very surprised if Radiohead weren't one of them. The festival now has a capacity of over 50,000 and the associated money should ensure that the Oxford lads are on the way. I'd also expect the return of Brian Wilson who's playing a small Brighton festival on the Saturday night on his Pet Sounds tour. Other possibilities are Iggy Pop, M83, Grimes, Teenage Fanclub, Joanna Newsom and acts from End of the Road/Festival No 6 the same weekend. I reckon we're about to get the best line-up there since 2005 or 2007.

Great first post Seathrun66 I hope your prediction is true. :)

If you want to get into it, you got to get out of it. (Hawkwind 1982)

Thanks bodhrandude, been meaning to post for years but have been slack. And I'd be hugely surprised if Radiohead weren't there. I reckon they're one of the two acts Jim Carroll alluded to when he said there were a couple of nailed-on acts missing from the first announcement. The era of the first announcement containing all the major acts ended last year. We should hear of some biggies in the next fortnight.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,112 ✭✭✭scruff monkey
    Snarky Snark Snark

Out of interest, on the headliner thing, what is actually classed as the headliner?
    The band who's on from e.g. 9-11 or the band that actually closes out the stage on a night?

For example on Saturday nights, we had blur last year vs chic the year before, chic following Portishead who were no questions the leading act for the night.

Out of interest, on the headliner thing, what is actually classed as the headliner?
    The band who's on from e.g. 9-11 or the band that actually closes out the stage on a night?

For example on Saturday nights, we had blur last year vs chic the year before, chic following Portishead who were no questions the leading act for the night.

You used to be able to tell the headliner when day tickets were the thing, normally their set winds up about half an hour or twenty minutes before the last bus left the festival site, usually the act going on till 12 am finish. The Chemical Brothers and the likes of Leftfield in 2010 or 2ManyDJs in 2009 would go on after the main headliner from 12.30 am - to 2.30 am on Saturday.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,678 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

The current speculation re: Radiohead is that they are travelling with a string section for their upcoming tour, hence less and smaller venues, and are planning a full world tour next year. Traditionally their tours have always kicked off 9 months to a year after the album, which would lend credence to this.

Not sure where this leaves EP, though.

Snarky Snark Snark

That would explain the likes of the Roundhouse as a venue then for the current tour but they do have a couple of big festivals on their list for the summer.

We could be looking at a Foals type headliner (assuming rhcp have buggered off by then)

sod it, GOT is downloaded and time to make the dinner, enough speculation for the evening...

The small venues are for Radiohead's May mini-tour. After that they're playing European, Japanese and US festivals, including Summer Sonic in Tokyo two weeks before EP & Lollapalooza Berlin a week after. I think there's a big chance they'll fit in the Picnic and maybe Bestival in the gap.

• Advertisement

The small venues are for Radiohead's May mini-tour. After that they're playing European, Japanese and US festivals, including Summer Sonic in Tokyo two weeks before EP & Lollapalooza Berlin a week after. I think there's a big chance they'll fit in the Picnic and maybe Bestival in the gap.

There is still a chance they could get added to Rock en Seine too the week before EP.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,497 ✭✭✭BadTurtle

Think it was 2 years ago that we got Beck, Outkast, Portishead, Pet Shop Boys, Chic and Foals in the initial announcement and the rest of the lead up to the festival was dominated by people saying QOTSA and The Prodigy were nailed on for a later announcement.
    Point being, don't be getting yer hopes up too high guys.

As per a previous post everything changed last year. Major acts were previously almost entirely included in the big March/April announcement. For 2015 they leaked Belle & Sebastian, Roisin Murphy & a few others before Xmas. Then had the usual first announcement and followed it with Blur and others later. Since Festival Republic have taken control they've altered the announcement formula. Can't be sure that Radiohead are playing, but there are definitely some big acts to come, I'd say at least two. Noel Gallagher was a possibility until he announced a second Welsh gig on that weekend, the Chilli Peppers are still an option and Foals could return again but I'd be very surprised if Radiohead aren't announced this month. They're ideal for the fest and they're playing smaller fests so it means they're affordable. If it doesn't happen I'll apologise here for getting people's hopes up.

And a few other decent acts playing that weekend or thereabouts are The Shins, Goat, King Gizzard, Polly Jean, Cat Power, Cranberries, Squeeze, James, Edwyn Collins, St. Etienne, Primal Scream, Sunflower Bean, Damian Marley, Steve Mason, Lonelady, Connan Mockasin & Air. Pretty much all a fit for EP, and we won't see the majority but I'm sure we'll see a few.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,519 ✭✭✭Mike Guide 69

Would love to see Suede added as well, they're doing a tour of festivals across Europe and there is a nice gap in tour schedule which could be filled by an appearance at EP, heres hoping.

Plus Echo and The Bunnymen are touring too , would love to see Mac and Will performing too at EP, be great to hear the Bunnymen classics!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,393 ✭✭✭Fatfrog

As per a previous post everything changed last year. Major acts were previously almost entirely included in the big March/April announcement. For 2015 they leaked Belle & Sebastian, Roisin Murphy & a few others before Xmas. Then had the usual first announcement and followed it with Blur and others later. Since Festival Republic have taken control they've altered the announcement formula. Can't be sure that Radiohead are playing, but there are definitely some big acts to come, I'd say at least two. Noel Gallagher was a possibility until he announced a second Welsh gig on that weekend, the Chilli Peppers are still an option and Foals could return again but I'd be very surprised if Radiohead aren't announced this month. They're ideal for the fest and they're playing smaller fests so it means they're affordable. If it doesn't happen I'll apologise here for getting people's hopes up.

Na the Foals doing gigs already, definitely out!

Hope the RHCP bit is a joke!! ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,401 ✭✭✭davywalsh7

I'd imagine Rhcp are out. They're starting European arena tour in Budapest on Sep 1 and play Prague on sep4. Hard to imagine them squeezing ep In between them plus the fact they r already playing big outdoor show in Belfast.
    Hopefully we will get more names soon, radiohead would be an absolute perfect headliner but trying not to get my hopes up.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 throwball

Any chance of Flight of the Conchords extending their tour past July and outside of the States? David O'Doherty supporting them on a few dates. Would be the biggest crowd in the comedy tent in a long time I reckon.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,438 ✭✭✭frantic190

Fantastic Negrito mentioned in an interview with Dan Hegarty he will be back in September after supporting Chris Cornell in the Olympia. Wonder if that is for Electric Picnic?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W66D31klLCk

• Registered Users Posts: 115 ✭✭brannid3

Festival Republic organise the Lollapalooza festivals and Radiohead booked for Chicago and Berlin. Give me an inch and I'll take a mile!

• Advertisement

Fatfrog wrote: »

Na the Foals doing gigs already, definitely out!

Hope the RHCP bit is a joke!! ;)
    I also think it's too early for Foals to return, but they're not doing gigs that weekend, only have the Cork Marquee in Ireland in July and are playing Festival Republic's Reading/Leeds the weekend before. The Chillis more an Oxegen than EP act, but so arguably were The Killers. It's unlikely, but they'd draw a crowd. However, as before I consider Radiohead nailed on, and pretty sure Festival Republic will have done a deal with them to do the Berlin & Stradbally gigs. We should know soon enough.

Snarky Snark Snark

but we wants to know now!

Was looking at the history of Feile, Witnness and Oxegen, it seems Radiohead has never played an Irish festival ever kinda like Portishead in that respect until they played EP 2014, so maybe Radiohead will break tradition and play their first Irish festival.

Radiohead don't even do many UK festivals. Apart from Reading in 1994 & 2009 and V in 2006 I think it's only been Glastonbury they've played. I may be wrong but they tend to avoid fests, 2016 is thus a big exception. Thus if EP doesn't get them this year I think it'll be a fair wait til they play the Picnic.

Snarky Snark Snark

Radiohead don't even do many UK festivals. Apart from Reading in 1994 & 2009 and V in 2006 I think it's only been Glastonbury they've played. I may be wrong but they tend to avoid fests, 2016 is thus a big exception.

With album sales in the dumps and the streaming not being worth... well a stream of hot steaming piss, they may not have the choice to be fussy any more.

With album sales in the dumps and the streaming not being worth... well a stream of hot steaming piss, they may not have the choice to be fussy any more.
    Radiohead could easily have done big stand alone gigs on tour this Summer. Of all bands they've got choices. They'll also make substantial money from album sales as most will go through W.A.S.T.E. thus no need to pay cash to distributors, outlets, etc. They'll be near the top of the album charts worldwide this week. and again with the physical release in mid-June. The band are savvy, and established enough, to work how to do well with the new music parameters.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,726 ✭✭✭Arne_Saknussem

Can everyone stop saying Radiohead are nailed on, trying to not set myself up for major disappointment here.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,519 ✭✭✭Mike Guide 69

Was looking at the history of Feile, Witnness and Oxegen, it seems Radiohead has never played an Irish festival ever kinda like Portishead in that respect until they played EP 2014, so maybe Radiohead will break tradition and play their first Irish festival.

Actually "technically speaking" i guess, Radiohead did play a one off day festival in Ireland at Castlegar Sports Grounds in Galway back in June 1996. Was at that, wasnt a bad line up on that day, Ron Sexsmith (on at 12.30, trying to get a happy clappy crowd going :D) , Divine Comedy, The Cardigans, The Bluetones (remember them??), Neneh Cherry (she was brilliant), followed by Radiohead, great day, the weather held up, well from what i can remember, i was well oiled that day!!! :p

Snarky Snark Snark

Can everyone stop saying Radiohead are nailed on, trying to not set myself up for major disappointment here.

To paraphrase The Princess Bride

Life is disappointment. Anyone who says differently is selling something.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 115 ✭✭brannid3

Don't forget Phil Selway played before and Thom's oule pal Bjork.

Anyways, I am getting the feeling we won't be hearing anything further until at least June. We aren't even getting an "announcement coming soon" banner. I really do wonder what the hold up is?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement