Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Electric Picnic 2016 // **Discussion Only / NO Ticket Sales / Requests** //

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,113 ✭✭✭scruff monkey
    Snarky Snark Snark

brannid3 wrote: »
    I really do wonder what the hold up is?

They could be
    a) under contract embargo not to announce an act until a certain date for misc reasons (album release date, other tour dates unannounced/sold out etc)

b) saving pennies for ice creams and puppy dogs

c) giving us the festival version of a lapdance, NO TOUCHING!

d) having fun with an act that could have pulled out throwing it all in the air

e) not arsed enough to write the press release yet

f) sufferring from combinations of the above

• Registered Users Posts: 115 ✭✭brannid3

They could be
    a) under contract embargo not to announce an act until a certain date for misc reasons (album release date, other tour dates unannounced/sold out etc)

b) saving pennies for ice creams and puppy dogs

c) giving us the festival version of a lapdance, NO TOUCHING!

d) having fun with an act that could have pulled out throwing it all in the air

e) not arsed enough to write the press release yet

f) sufferring from combinations of the above

No touching hahahaha!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,586 ✭✭✭✭bodhrandude

There used to be a thread in the EP forum called 'Self-Confirmed for Electric Picnic.' It was great and someone would take the initiative to search a bunch of bands and artists websites to see if Stradbally would pop up in the tour dates. I've been looking up a lot of music websites myself trying to find the elusive Stradbally in some of the gig dates but no joy as yet.

If you want to get into it, you got to get out of it. (Hawkwind 1982)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,739 ✭✭✭MyPeopleDrankTheSoup

No Travis, I've had three glorious weather weekends so far down there in a row.

it's amazing really the weather we've got for the last few years. was it last year or 2014 where it was pissing every weekend before and after but glorious for EP.

fingers crossed for this year!

Snarky Snark Snark

Pretty sure it was 2014

• Advertisement

I think at this stage we should just make our own announcement of who we want to play and post it on the EP facebook page.

• Registered Users Posts: 175 ✭✭Ozziej

Actually "technically speaking" i guess, Radiohead did play a one off day festival in Ireland at Castlegar Sports Grounds in Galway back in June 1996. Was at that, wasnt a bad line up on that day, Ron Sexsmith (on at 12.30, trying to get a happy clappy crowd going :D) , Divine Comedy, The Cardigans, The Bluetones (remember them??), Neneh Cherry (she was brilliant), followed by Radiohead, great day, the weather held up, well from what i can remember, i was well oiled that day!!! :p

I was there too. My second ever gig. I vividly remember neil hannon sitting on the stage singing and throwing stuff on to security.

Drank too much on bus from waterford so bus driver kept having to stop to let us get off and piss

• Registered Users Posts: 2,393 ✭✭✭Fatfrog

There used to be a thread in the EP forum called 'Self-Confirmed for Electric Picnic.' It was great and someone would take the initiative to search a bunch of bands and artists websites to see if Stradbally would pop up in the tour dates. I've been looking up a lot of music websites myself trying to find the elusive Stradbally in some of the gig dates but no joy as yet.

There's a serious amount of investigation, who's booked elsewhere, what artists are in the area, who's too far for travel etc etc it's hard to keep track of it all!
    Surely some whizz could link some form of Google doc that everyone could access and edit ;)

Fatfrog wrote: »
    There's a serious amount of investigation, who's booked elsewhere, what artists are in the area, who's too far for travel etc etc it's hard to keep track of it all!
    Surely some whizz could link some form of Google doc that everyone could access and edit ;)

Actually what we need is some fed up bands to start self confirming, that is usually what happens when a festival drags out its announcements.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,539 ✭✭✭ghostdancer

it was May 5th last year that we got the 2nd proper announcement, May 13th in 2014, May 21st in 2013.

so it's not really late this year.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,706 ✭✭✭sadie06

I know I mentioned Beth Orton already, but I think she'd be great this year as she's really gone back to the folktronica sound she started out with. She is playing a few smaller festivals, so who knows.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,573 ✭✭✭Thundercats Ho

sadie06 wrote: »
    I know I mentioned Beth Orton already, but I think she'd be great this year as she's really gone back to the folktronica sound she started out with. She is playing a few smaller festivals, so who knows.

The new tune is good alright.
    I saw her on her tour of Ireland around 4 years ago, and enjoyed her.

• Registered Users Posts: 215 ✭✭GhostMutt30

Any chance of John Grant this year?

Yeah I'll see what I can do and will ask him but I think he is doing an angling competition during the Picnic. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,746 ✭✭✭BullBlackNova

Wouldn't bet on it. He's doing gigs all over Ireland this year.

He has already played Cork and Galway in January and has a Dublin show lined up for July too.

Very unlikely he'd be back again so soon.

Laura Marling announced as a headliner for Green Man festival (three weeks before EP), could she be added to EP also.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,652 ✭✭✭Seathrun66

Laura Marling announced as a headliner for Green Man festival (three weeks before EP), could she be added to EP also.
    Probably not after her last appearance there, I think in 2010. She was on late afternoon in the Crawdaddy or Cosby doing a low-key acoustic set. There was lots of noise coming from other tents as well as chatty youngsters in the tent. She wasn't best pleased and finished her set early. Would love to see her back though, she's been pretty consistently great with her output over the past five years.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,497 ✭✭✭BadTurtle

Actually what we need is some fed up bands to start self confirming, that is usually what happens when a festival drags out its announcements.

You're personifying your impatience onto those bands there I think. The bands are hardly sitting around thinking "Christ, would they ever announce us for Electric Picnic?" :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,706 ✭✭✭sadie06

BadTurtle wrote: »
    You're personifying your impatience onto those bands there I think. The bands are hardly sitting around thinking "Christ, would they ever announce us for Electric Picnic?" :rolleyes:

I don't know. The theory holds some merit. Knowing you are going to see a band in the near future motivates you to listen to them, thus generating CD sales, streaming and radio play of their new material and/or back catalogue.

I'm sure bands aren't sweating over EP in particular, but the sooner they are announced for all summer gigs the sooner private individuals and DJs start adding them to playlists etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,746 ✭✭✭BullBlackNova

Seathrun66 wrote: »
    Probably not after her last appearance there, I think in 2010. She was on late afternoon in the Crawdaddy or Cosby doing a low-key acoustic set. There was lots of noise coming from other tents as well as chatty youngsters in the tent. She wasn't best pleased and finished her set early. Would love to see her back though, she's been pretty consistently great with her output over the past five years.

I was at that show. She was sick and performing before Foals - the entire crowd seemed to consist of Foals fans who were chatting over her. And, because she was sick, she couldn't raise her voice to perform properly either.

Have seen her since and while she's quite particular with the crowd, she is an excellent musician and performer.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,497 ✭✭✭BadTurtle

sadie06 wrote: »

I don't know. The theory holds some merit. Knowing you are going to see a band in the near future motivates you to listen to them, thus generating CD sales, streaming and radio play of their new material and/or back catalogue.

I'm sure bands aren't sweating over EP in particular, but the sooner they are announced for all summer gigs the sooner private individuals and DJs start adding them to playlists etc.
    Maybe smaller bands would be somewhat concerned with it - Irish, primarily - but they would be the sort whose margins are changed by a few hundred people streaming their album.
    Established acts would be more than happy to wait - what exactly is the rush? Now or later, the money will still be coming their way, and they'll be playing shows between now and then which will give them far more profit. CD sales, streaming etc is a drop in the ocean compared to gig returns.

Maybe smaller bands would be somewhat concerned with it - Irish, primarily - but they would be the sort whose margins are changed by a few hundred people streaming their album.
    Established acts would be more than happy to wait - what exactly is the rush? Now or later, the money will still be coming their way, and they'll be playing shows between now and then which will give them far more profit. CD sales, streaming etc is a drop in the ocean compared to gig returns.

I'm not asking for that much but a few extra names wouldn't go amiss, there must be ones there that wouldn't conflict with other concert dates and other festival announcements.

• Registered Users Posts: 238 ✭✭mrk75

Seathrun66 wrote: »
    She's supporting Neil Young on his two forthcoming Irish gigs in June....

• Registered Users Posts: 5,991 ✭✭✭leakyboots

I'm not asking for that much but a few extra names wouldn't go amiss, there must be ones there that wouldn't conflict with other concert dates and other festival announcements.

I don't think I've ever known a poster to get so many ants in his pants over the next round of announcements :pac:

Snarky Snark Snark

leakyboots wrote: »
    I don't think I've ever known a poster to get so many ants in his pants over the next round of announcements :pac:

dangle a carrot in the shape of aphex twin in front of him and watch what he does....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,298 ✭✭✭srm23

I would actually like if they just announced nothing more and you just found out when bought your timetable there on the friday

• Registered Users Posts: 303 ✭✭Peesh89

srm23 wrote: »
    I would actually like if they just announced nothing more and you just found out when bought your timetable there on the friday

satan.

Snarky Snark Snark

srm23 wrote: »

<archer>Do you want a riot?
    Because that's how you get a riot</archer>

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 14,950 Mod ✭✭✭✭Furious-Red

1936101_10154183335239168_3553356436419891587_n.jpg?oh=0e233fca0f564b10cdece1d1cdc3c9b1&oe=57D7FE7D&__gda__=1471091012_ccff0aee449de9b85f9fe4cf68a052ad

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 39 BlaaEater

Best...Word Salad...ever!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement