Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Is winning so many AIs boring after a while?

• 07-09-2015 5:51pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,042 ✭✭✭✭

Mainly aimed at the kilkenny fans!

Do you genuinely get excited every time you head to croker for a semi or final? I'm thinking the excitement must fade when you win so often.

As someone who lives in Donegal, I saw the excitement, tension, joy of the win in 2012, after a 20yr wait. I got to thinking that this joy must be greater than a team that wins often? Maybe I'm wrong?

Comments

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,139 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

Not bored no, some mean more than others. When the game is close and you just get over the line or when you go in as underdogs it means more than when the game is over as a contest by half time or the other team doesn't really show up.

But you enjoy them all, you have to, never know when its all going to come crashing down.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,916 ✭✭✭Brian017

Not at all. I want it to be February already so we can try to get the League title back. I've learned to enjoy every bit of success we have because nothing lasts forever and you don't know what's around the corner.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,458 ✭✭✭✭dastardly00

Nope, not boring at all. Some wins mean more than others. The ones where we have beaten Tipp in the finals for example.

But if we had lost yesterday I would have been absolutely gutted. I still remember being in the Canal End losing to Offaly in 98', Cork in '99 in the rain, being in the 'new' Hogan Stand in '01 against Galway, losing another final to Cork in 04', the goal-fest against Galway in '05, the 2010 final loss to Tipp was unbearable, and KK were awful against Cork in 2013.

It's the fear of losing that keeps the excitement going for me! :eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,819 ✭✭✭liam7831

Well im from Kerry living in Dublin and cant wait for Sunday week, roll on No. 38

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,998 ✭✭✭randd1

No, it never gets boring or less exciting. From the outside looking it might be, but definitely for the fans down here it never gets old.

I don't expect people to understand, but I see the work done at underage in Kilkenny, and view the AI titles as reward for that effort.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,091 ✭✭✭savannahkat

The butterflies prior to the game were not diminished by the fact of having won previously. What we have become accustomed to is biding our time both as a team and as supporters. There was no panic when Galway were running us ragged and that perhaps gives the impression of being less involved. No it never becomes boring. The pre-match jitters were as much in evidence yesterday as they were in 2012 or any other final.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,551 ✭✭✭keep going

Listening to the winning speech I thought it was one of the flattest things I ever heard and the crowd were gone as well

• Registered Users Posts: 1,735 ✭✭✭dirtyden

This really is a silly thread.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,426 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

Would you ever leave a match early when your team is hammering the opposition ?

No, of course you would not, you would wait for it all, to see if they can score another goal, and another, to see who else can get on the score sheet etc etc.
    Each score in the game is different.

The same is true for All Ireland’s
    Each one you win is different, for various reasons.
    Kerry may have 38, but some young lad only has a memory of 1, or 2.
    And for older folks the next one is better than the last.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 975 ✭✭✭J Cheever Loophole

dirtyden wrote: »
    This really is a silly thread.

I'll be honest - how the likes of Kilkenny and Kerry feel after winning All Irelands has always been a point of curiosity for me.

We won our only All Ireland a number of weeks after Kilkenny won the All Ireland Hurling title and if memory serves me well, the GAA back then were trying to implement an on-field presentation with no supporters on the pitch. Kilkenny's presentation duly occurred that way whereas the Armagh presentation took place with thousands of frenzied supporters on the pitch - Brian Cody, as he watched our presentation take place, was heard to remark something to the effect that that was the difference between winning a first and winning a thirtieth.

None of us can ever really make the comparison but I'd find it hard to believe that any living person from Kilkenny or Kerry experienced the emotions that I did back in 2002.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,710 ✭✭✭Speak Now

I'll be honest - how the likes of Kilkenny and Kerry feel after winning All Irelands has always been a point of curiosity for me.

We won our only All Ireland a number of weeks after Kilkenny won the All Ireland Hurling title and if memory serves me well, the GAA back then were trying to implement an on-field presentation with no supporters on the pitch. Kilkenny's presentation duly occurred that way whereas the Armagh presentation took place with thousands of frenzied supporters on the pitch - Brian Cody, as he watched our presentation take place, was heard to remark something to the effect that that was the difference between winning a first and winning a thirtieth.

None of us can ever really make the comparison but I'd find it hard to believe that any living person from Kilkenny or Kerry experienced the emotions that I did back in 2002.

We had the famous plan B in 2006 biggrin.png

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,895 ✭✭✭Poor_old_gill

As a previous poster said- maybe not boring but not as enjoyable, law of diminishing marginal utility and all that.

I have mates from Westmeath who still talk about winning that Leinster title and what a day/year it was-I cant think of too many Munster title wins that stick out in my mind for Kerry

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,208 ✭✭✭The_Honeybadger

I was on the hill that day (kerryman) and it was something else alright. There was nothing going to stop the Armagh fans getting on to the pitch.

When you compare it to kk fans leaving early on Sunday to beat the traffic it does show what it means to counties who don't get there that often.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,081 ✭✭✭fricatus

How can it possibly feel like the first time every time? Do you think Denis O'Brien pops open the bubbly and puts €5k behind the bar of his local like a Lotto winner every time he makes another million?

Not having a go at Kilkenny or Kerry - it's just human nature. KK fans' attendance at their homecoming this year was down on last year. If on the other hand Waterford had won it, I reckon the Gardaí would have had to borrow water cannon off the PSNI, such would have been the celebrations.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,776 ✭✭✭✭keane2097

We're still searching for our first one that isn't soft.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,388 ✭✭✭✭Jayop

Not a silly thread at all. Even when Tyrone won their third ever in the space of five years it wasn't just as exciting as winning the first so it would be impossible got the latest from KK to be as exciting to someone who's seen them win 15 or more as the first they were old enough to enjoy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,830 ✭✭✭hawkwing

For Tipp winning the 87 Munster title after 16yrs was way better than 88/89 or any Munster win since and even better than the 89/91 AI wins. I'm sure most from Waterford would say that the 2002 Munster win was the most enjoyable also. The 2011 final didn't feel nearly as important after winning it in 2010 and also the disappointment in 88/09 was more than any of the others.. even 2014because of 17yr and 8yr waits..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,388 ✭✭✭✭Jayop

hawkwing wrote: »
    For Tipp winning the 87 Munster title after 16yrs was way better than 88/89 or any Munster win since and even better than the 89/91 AI wins. I'm sure most from Waterford would say that the 2002 Munster win was the most enjoyable also. The 2011 final didn't feel nearly as important after winning it in 2010 and also the disappointment in 88/09 was more than any of the others.. even 2014because of 17yr and 8yr waits..

It's the same as soccer. No one can tell me that if Liverpool won the league this year that if woulnt mean more to them as winning their 18th all those years ago. Absense makes the heart grow fonder.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,895 ✭✭✭Poor_old_gill

keane2097 wrote: »
    We're still searching for our first one that isn't soft.

I'm sick of losing all 'the classic finals' though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,458 ✭✭✭✭dastardly00

We had the famous plan B in 2006 biggrin.png

:pac: :pac: :pac:

b.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33,754 ✭✭✭✭RobertKK

It is always exciting to be in a final, losing a final is pretty devastating so you are excited, but you are kind of nervous, the game is tense, winning brings great satisfaction and joy, but when you are use to winning, it brings relief that they haven't lost.

You know the joy losing brings to the fans of the other team, you don't want them celebrating, you want that joy for yourself.
    It never gets tiring when you are winning, but if you are losing regularly I suspect that is tiring.

• Registered Users Posts: 362 ✭✭JimboJones99

Winning All-Irelands never gets boring but definitely the euphoria that comes with it has gone somewhat which I think is completely understandable. We have won 11 of the last 16 after all.

It never gets boring because there is always some point to prove or some side issue. Everyone keeps writing us off but we always come back and prove them wrong and there is an unbelievable amount of satisfaction and pride in doing so. In 2006 supposedly there was no way we could stop the Cork juggarnaut from doing the 3 in a row, in 2011 Tipp were supposedly on their way to a 5 in a row, in 2014 our players were supposedly finished and too slow and not up to it any more after our bad year in 2013, this year supposedly there was no way we could cope with all the retirements and loss of experience on top of players out with injuries.

We are immensly proud of the team and despite not being as vocal as other counties the team know they are supported to the hilt. I know our homecomings would never compare to what would await Waterford or Galway after a triumph but I guarantee you if Kilkenny had lost on Sunday they still would have been cheered home by the same large crowd as last night if not more

• Registered Users Posts: 629 ✭✭✭Mehapoy

Winning All-Irelands never gets boring but definitely the euphoria that comes with it has gone somewhat which I think is completely understandable. We have won 11 of the last 16 after all.

It never gets boring because there is always some point to prove or some side issue. Everyone keeps writing us off but we always come back and prove them wrong and there is an unbelievable amount of satisfaction and pride in doing so. In 2006 supposedly there was no way we could stop the Cork juggarnaut from doing the 3 in a row, in 2011 Tipp were supposedly on their way to a 5 in a row, in 2014 our players were supposedly finished and too slow and not up to it any more after our bad year in 2013, this year supposedly there was no way we could cope with all the retirements and loss of experience on top of players out with injuries.

We are immensly proud of the team and despite not being as vocal as other counties the team know they are supported to the hilt. I know our homecomings would never compare to what would await Waterford or Galway after a triumph but I guarantee you if Kilkenny had lost on Sunday they still would have been cheered home by the same large crowd as last night if not more
    Ya at this stage it must having won so many Kilkenny supporters must be struggling to keep up the enthusiasm, its only human nature really, im sure they'll celebrate them all but its getting like having Christmas day everyday! its embarrassing for the rest of the hurling counties though, at this stage the main competition is between Kilkenny players themselves to see who can win the most ai medals!
    On that Jackie tyrell must be some orator, to motivate guys with 3,4,5 ai's you'd have to be saying something special, I'm sure they've heard all the othe motivational cliches before...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,320 ✭✭✭v3ttel

NIMAN wrote: »
    Do you genuinely get excited every time you head to croker for a semi or final? ?

Yes, absolutely.

The semi & final are 1 or 2 days per year. It's not like we're going there every week. The frequency is spare enough that the novelty never wears off. When we weren't there in 2013 it was awful.

We might only get 4 days out in the Championship over the entire year.
    I'm thinking the excitement must fade when you win so often.

It doesn't. Not even close.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,354 ✭✭✭✭endacl

liam7831 wrote: »
    Well im from Kerry living in Dublin and cant wait for Sunday week, roll on No. 38

25, surely?

:pac:

Last year's Kerry win was the sweetest of all I've experienced, never had a buzz like it. My father said the same thing funnily enough, and he's seen a fair few more than me.

All the wins (the losses too) have something of a unique character I think.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,952 ✭✭✭✭Stoner

The win for us in 2011 after the wait since 1995 was fantastic, 2013 I'd say about 60% of the feel good factor.

That's possibly one of the more recent benchmarks. The Clare hurling supporters from the 90's might have a view on their two wins then, I'd imagine the first was better ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 695 ✭✭✭zombieHanalei

The fact that Kilkenny keep coming back kind of answers the question. They keep doing it because it never gets boring or repetitive, it's always about the next one, what went before doesn't matter.

Tipperary have performed to a high standard since 2008 yet they only have one All-Ireland to show for their efforts since then. If complacency or boredom in any way crept into Kilkenny, Tipperary would probably have another two or three All-Irelands on top of their 2010 triumph. Tipperary's championship involvement was finished by Kilkenny in 2009, 2011, 2012, 2013 and 2014.

It is sometimes said that Kilkenny lacked strong rivals, well the Cork team of 1999 to 2006 and the Tipp team of 2008 to present were excellent opposition. Kilkenny shaded the Cork rivalry and they have completely dominated Tipperary.

I also believe that Kilkenny probably feed off the fact that they know everyone wants to see them beaten, they almost have a point to prove each time they play.

Does it get boring? Perhaps for 31 counties.... But that's not Kilkenny's problem!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,621 ✭✭✭Nidgeweasel

Donegal winning last year would have been better than 2012 for me. Because you knew that was it.

And all I will say is, the Kerry fans strolling back to the city after the final last year without so much as a whimper told me everything i need to know. I'm sure it was satisfying for them but the same scene would have been absolute mayhem had the shoe been on the other foot.

But that's the point, 37 v 2.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,042 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

keane2097 wrote: »
    Last year's Kerry win was the sweetest of all I've experienced, never had a buzz like it. My father said the same thing funnily enough, and he's seen a fair few more than me.

All the wins (the losses too) have something of a unique character I think.

I was at last year's final, my 1st ever, and it was dull as feck. Zero atmosphere for 82000 people. Little or no excitement on the pitch, negative tactics from both sides.

I was at last year's final, my 1st ever, and it was dull as feck. Zero atmosphere for 82000 people. Little or no excitement on the pitch, negative tactics from both sides.

ok

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,933 ✭✭✭kksaints

Winning doesnt become boring but the build up to the final is far less then it was a few years ago. I personally didnt hear about anyone struggling to get tickets while before 2010-2011 there used to be loads of people complaining about tickets. A lot less flags around in the village I'm in in the week before aswell. Even seemed to be less talk about this year.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,467 ✭✭✭Very Bored

Its never boring but coming from a county that's won an All Ireland or two in recent years, namely Kilkenny, it does help if there's a bit of rivalry with it. Beating Tipp last year was different to beating Galway this year, with no offence meant to Galwegians. I think it doesn't matter who you beat if you haven't won one in years but if you have won a lot then winning against a rival will be sweeter, not that it isn't sweet to win anyway.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,188 ✭✭✭DoYouEvenLift

A massive part of why I always go for whoever's playing against Kilkenny is exactly for this reason. It's nothing personal against Kilkenny, they're an absolutely incredible county of hurlers, and I'd do the same if it was any other county in their place. You can't blame them for seeming a bit flat when they win it basically effortlessly year in year out. It would be incredible having a team like Galway last week beating them because you know every single fan would be absolutely genuinely ecstatic.

Fuk it, just wish there was 4 or 5 absolutely solidly competitive teams all on the same level as Kilkenny. A season with these would be unreal.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,467 ✭✭✭Very Bored

Note I didn't say it was boring, its sweet, but its all the sweeter if we beat a rival. To be honest, anyone who thinks winning an All Ireland could be boring for any true GAA fan is guilty of making a very silly comment whereas anyone who says it is as exciting for those in a county very accustomed to winning as it is for those who haven't won it in ages are falling into the trap of looking at the situation with a sense of delusion. That said, there could well come a time when we won't win an All Ireland for ten or twenty years ourselves so we'll happily take every one we get.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 899 ✭✭✭FrKurtFahrt

You can get used to losing, but you never tire of winning.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,382 ✭✭✭Duffy the Vampire Slayer

I don't know about All-Irelands but provincial titles have become an expectation for me. If Mayo don't win Connacht next year I'll be devestated, but if they win I'll think that's exactly what they should be doing. Whereas to a Sligo fan, a Connacht title would be incredible.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,972 ✭✭✭WesternZulu

You can get used to losing, but you never tire of winning.

As a Mayo supporter that simply is not true!

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,795 Mod ✭✭✭✭Say Your Number

Whereas to a Sligo fan, a Connacht title would be incredible.

I'm from Sligo and I wouldn't describe a Connacht title as incredible, it would enjoyable and a successful season, but Sligo have won one and come close on other occasions in the last decade so it's not a million miles away from us, an All Ireland on the other hand......

Advertisement