Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Aurora seen from the air

Options
  • 07-09-2015 6:55pm
    Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 9,842 Mod ✭✭✭✭

I'm a newbie here, but thought ye lot would like to see the Northern lights taken onboard a flight heading east just south of Greenland last night:

21212201322_7ddab09622_c.jpgAurora Borealis by tearbringer, on Flickr

Taken with a Sony A5000 and the standard 16-50mm lens. We were travelling a little under 600mph and I had no tripod and was shooting through a window.....this was the best of 8-10 shots. Tried a few settings but couldn't improve it.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 82 ✭✭Baggirshorts

Nice catch......
    But next time if you get the chance...instead of shooting through the cabin window...ask the the air steward.....to just open the door for a few seconds...:-)
    Nice shot!!

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 9,842 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tenger

Nice catch......
    But next time if you get the chance...instead of shooting through the cabin window...ask the the air steward.....to just open the door for a few seconds...:-)
    Nice shot!!
    The shot was taken from the cockpit......better windows up there!!

• Registered Users Posts: 352 ✭✭jfSDAS

Nice shot of the northern lights! I managed to spot them a couple of times flying across the Atlantic when I had a favorable window seat.

Brian Whittaker, a pilot, also has a great site with pics he took on flights as well as info on photography. His images are often featured by Tony Philips on the www.spaceweather.com web site.

Brian's site is http://www.astropilot.info/

John

• Registered Users Posts: 352 ✭✭jfSDAS

Nice shot of the northern lights! I managed to spot them a couple of times flying across the Atlantic when I had a favorable window seat.

Brian Whittaker, a pilot, also has a great site with pics he took on flights as well as info on photography. His images are often featured by Tony Philips on the www.spaceweather.com web site.

Brian's site is http://www.astropilot.info/

John

Advertisement