If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sony STR-DN150 or STR-DN860

Options
  • 07-09-2015 8:17pm
    Registered Users Posts: 678 ✭✭✭

Hi,

I am considering buying one two Sony AV receivers, one is STR-DN860 and the other is STR-DN1050, I can’t see any significant differences in the two, can anyone offer any advice on which I should be going for. This seem to very similar in terms of connectivity etc. I know the STR-DN860 is newer but it is the smaller version of the 1050, now replaced by the 1060, any advice on if the extra outlay of 75 euro is worth it.

Also, I would like to use two speakers I have from a Technics DVD hifi I bought over 10 years ago, the speakers have an impedance of 6 to 8 ohms, and an RMS rating of 60W (low) and 120 (high), will these speakers work ok? I don’t want the additional expense of having to buy new speakers too, I will add surround speakers in time.

Comments

• Company Representative Posts: 1,025 ✭✭✭Richersounds.ie: Brian

Kagawa wrote: »
    Hi,

I am considering buying one two Sony AV receivers, one is STR-DN860 and the other is STR-DN1050, I can’t see any significant differences in the two, can anyone offer any advice on which I should be going for. This seem to very similar in terms of connectivity etc. I know the STR-DN860 is newer but it is the smaller version of the 1050, now replaced by the 1060, any advice on if the extra outlay of 75 euro is worth it.

Also, I would like to use two speakers I have from a Technics DVD hifi I bought over 10 years ago, the speakers have an impedance of 6 to 8 ohms, and an RMS rating of 60W (low) and 120 (high), will these speakers work ok? I don’t want the additional expense of having to buy new speakers too, I will add surround speakers in time.
    HI kagawa, many thanks for the post.

Having a look at the spec on the 3 amps, the 1050(previous model) and 1060(new model) are very similar spec, and are both a higher power output than the 860,and also have an extra HDMi input, so in my opinion, grab a 1050 while theyre still available :D

The speakers you mention sound like they should work fine with it for now
    Cheers
    Brian

• Registered Users Posts: 678 ✭✭✭Kagawa

Having a look at the spec on the 3 amps, the 1050(previous model) and 1060(new model) are very similar spec, and are both a higher power output than the 860,and also have an extra HDMi input, so in my opinion, grab a 1050 while theyre still available :D

Cheers
    Brian

Thanks Brian, one other thing. Do you use couriers or An Post to deliver in Ireland?

Cheers
    Brian

Thanks Brian, one other thing. Do you use couriers or An Post to deliver in Ireland?
    If its shipping from Belfast we would use DPD on a next day service. If it is coming from our UK warehouse, Aramex would handle all Dublin deliveries, and usually DPD for all others. we don't tend to use An Post

Cheers
    Brian

[font=Verdana, Arial, sans-serif]The speakers from the Technics Hifi have four wires coming out of them, presumably hi and low, how do I connect these to the AV receiver, do I just connect both positives to the positive on the AV and both negatives to the negative on the AV?[/font]

[font=Verdana, Arial, sans-serif]The speakers from the Technics Hifi have four wires coming out of them, presumably hi and low, how do I connect these to the AV receiver, do I just connect both positives to the positive on the AV and both negatives to the negative on the AV?[/font]
    Hi Kagawa, these would be bi-wireable speakers, splitting treble and bass. The 1050 is a 7.2 channel amp so you can biwire them from it (using 4 speaker outputs instead of 2) but you will need to set that in the menu of the amp when setting it up

Regards
    Brian

• Advertisement

Thanks, I ordered the 1050 yesterday but I have not received any notification that it has been shipped, can you look into this for me please.

• Company Representative Posts: 17,285 ✭✭✭✭Richersounds.ie: Kenny

Thanks, I ordered the 1050 yesterday but I have not received any notification that it has been shipped, can you look into this for me please.
    Apologies Kagawa.

Drop me you full name in a PM and I'll check your order.
    I've a few orders on this product on my system :D

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.