Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Landlord trying to put up rent for second time this year - is this allowed?

Options
  • 07-09-2015 8:59pm
    Registered Users Posts: 14

Hi all,

I've been in my place about 20 months now, when I first moved in I signed a lease but it rolled over last December, and my landlord told me rent would stay the same for the time being.

In April he upped the rent 20 euro, cos he was afraid rent control might come in and his costs would be above the rent. He's just tonight told me again he wants to put it up another 30 because rent control might be coming in.

Is he allowed to do this? Twice in a year put up the rent? I'm not sure what my rights are here, I'm just truly annoyed that I had the offer to move in with a friend and didn't take it cos I thought I was sorted for a year from April.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,670 ✭✭✭quadrifoglio verde

Hi all,

I've been in my place about 20 months now, when I first moved in I signed a lease but it rolled over last December, and my landlord told me rent would stay the same for the time being.

In April he upped the rent 20 euro, cos he was afraid rent control might come in and his costs would be above the rent. He's just tonight told me again he wants to put it up another 30 because rent control might be coming in.

Is he allowed to do this? Twice in a year put up the rent? I'm not sure what my rights are here, I'm just truly annoyed that I had the offer to move in with a friend and didn't take it cos I thought I was sorted for a year from April.

If youre a tenant nope it's not allowed.
    If youre a licensee, there's didly squat that you can do

• Registered Users Posts: 14 malteasermia

I'm a tenant, he has a couple of apartments in this place

• Registered Users Posts: 13,381 ✭✭✭✭Paulw

A landlord can only increase the rent once in a 12 month period. So, no, he can't increase it again.

http://www.prtb.ie/dispute-resolution/disputes/the-three-stages-of-a-tenancy/rent-reviews

You are entitled to file a complaint with the PRTB if he attempts to increase rent.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,223 ✭✭✭Michael D Not Higgins

"Because rent control might be coming in" sounds like an excuse. He's taking you for a ride OP, refuse the increase and open a dispute as mentioned above.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,996 ✭✭✭spaceHopper

Don't open a complaint that's only going to get his back up. Tell him that he increased the rent last April and he can't up it up twice in the same 12 months.
    If he objects tell him you would like to take it to mediation with the PRTP, that will make him back down. He will come back to you in April and put it up.
    When your lease us up you can ask to go on to part 4 or sign another lease, in which case you could agree to a rent review then so long as it's less then 30 and it's fixed for 12 months.
    At all times remind him that you have been good tenants and will continue to be so. You pay one time and look after the place, you don't make silly demands... he might not be so luck with the next tenants.

When you say by 30 is that week or a month?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,662 ✭✭✭GerardKeating

you can ask to go on to part 4

No need, once OP is there six months, they are Part IV.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,553 ✭✭✭Tarzana2

"Because rent control might be coming in" sounds like an excuse.

Yeah, what does that even mean? Ask him to go into more detail, OP, and watch him squirm. :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 14 malteasermia

Cheers for the link, rang threshold to double check and they told me the same, and to show him this and sit tight and wait for him to back down. I'll take it up with the PRTB if he won't back down.

Advertisement