Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Would Galway be a better fit in the Munster championship?

• 07-09-2015 9:52pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,277 ✭✭✭✭

I know the consensus is to have Galway play Kilkenny as much as possible, but I think the thought of Galway regularly drawing up against the likes of Limerick, Cork and Clare would make for a great Championship.
    What do you guys and gals reckon?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 545 ✭✭✭Topcat32

flazio wrote: »
    I know the consensus is to have Galway play Kilkenny as much as possible, but I think the thought of Galway regularly drawing up against the likes of Limerick, Cork and Clare would make for a great Championship.
    What do you guys and gals reckon?
    I dont see the point, Galway would have a maximum of two competitive matches most years in both provinces. The munster championship was piss poor this year anyway.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,358 ✭✭✭keeponhurling

Galway played both Cork and Tipp this year, plus Clare and Waterford in the league - so they are getting regular games v Munster teams.

Maybe try the Ulster championship ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,478 ✭✭✭✭dastardly00

Just lump everyone into the one championship.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,681 ✭✭✭Borders no.2

Definitely no. I think the Munster championship while the standard isn't as strong as previously is fairly evenly matched with each team on their day capable of beating another whereas Leinster needs as many teams as possible improving themselves to make it competitive.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,551 ✭✭✭keep going

At this stage put everyone except kk into the munster just let them keep the liam mac.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,277 ✭✭✭✭flazio

Galway played both Cork and Tipp this year, plus Clare and Waterford in the league - so they are getting regular games v Munster teams.

Maybe try the Ulster championship ?

Ulster is a bit far away, at least with Munster it's easier to map as Galway has a physical border with Clare and Tipperary so could potentially justify a Pearce stadium showdown with either team, even Limerick could make the trip up once the M18 is finished.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 695 ✭✭✭zombieHanalei

They played in the Munster championship from 1959 to 1969 and had a fairly torrid time, frequently shipping heavy defeats and only claiming two victories in 11 years (both against Clare who too were at a very low ebb in the 60's).

I don't really feel there would be anything to gain by adding them to Munster right now, the championship format is actually a decent format but it is let down by Offaly and Wexford's fall from grace. Imagine the present structure in the middle of the 1990's? A championship structure in a way can only be as good as the teams in it. Scrapping the provinces may seem sensible now but are we to assume that Leinster will never again be competitive? Once you scrap them there's no turning back. And it would be a shame to one day have three or four genuine contenders in Leinster but no Leinster championship.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,486 ✭✭✭MfMan

I've often thought that Galway and Antrim should be alternated between the Munster and Leinster c'ships every second year, but it would mean a lot of travelling for the latter, certainly if and when in Munster. With KK so dominant in Leinster now, it would be a complete non-runner.

Oddly enough, was thinking again yesterday re: Richie Hogan's remarks of a champions-league style c'ship; undoubtedly it wold make for a great competition and really showcase hurlers' talents, but would really suit the stronger counties always, it would reduce the weaker counties chances of springing a once-off upset, and may ultimately lead to semi-professionalism and perhaps 'player transfers'.

Advertisement