Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Budget Gaming Pc

Options
  • 07-09-2015 11:10pm
    Registered Users Posts: 410 ✭✭

Hey all,

Friend of mine is selling his gaming pc around 4 years old at this stage.

Heres the spec

Gigabyte GA-p43-ES3G motherboard
    Intel core 2 duo 2.4GHz
    Corsair XMS2 4GB RAM
    KFA2 NVidia GTX650 1gb DDRM5 Graphics card
    1.5 TB (1500GB) Western Digital Hard disk drive
    Corsair 400W power supply

My question is would it run Civ beyond earth:here are the min requirments

CPU: Intel Core 2 Duo 1.8 GHz or AMD Athlon X2 64 2.0 GHz
    CPU Speed: Info
    RAM: 2 GB
    Video Card: 256 MB ATI Radeon HD 3650 or better, 256 MB NVIDIA GeForce 8800 GT or better, or Intel HD 3000 or better integrated graphics
    Sound Card: Yes
    Free Disk Space: 8 GB

He's selling it for 100euro and giving me a 19inch monitor , surely the Hd/graphics card is worth the money?

Just wondering would it place games on low settings?

regards
    D

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 261 ✭✭booooring!

Processor is 10 years old in December. Its very weak and wouldn't have a hope of running any modern title in the last couple of years.
    Graphics card is on par with a 7750 which can be got for 40 or 50 euro second hand.
    It would run civilization beyond earth however.

The good news however you could bump up the processor up to this when you have extra cash and would be okay for modern games.

cpubenchmark.net/cpu.php?cpu=Intel+Xeon+X5460+%40+3.16GHz&id=1297

Cant edit posts but heres an example of the processor on ebay. Not too dear!

ebay.ie/itm/Intel-Xeon-X5460-Quad-Core-3-16GHz-12M-1333-w-2-LGA-771-to-775-Adapters-/331387006786?hash=item4d28346f42

• Registered Users Posts: 410 ✭✭DaraDali

booooring! wrote: »
    Processor is 10 years old in December. Its very weak and wouldn't have a hope of running any modern title in the last couple of years.
    Graphics card is on par with a 7750 which can be got for 40 or 50 euro second hand.
    It would run civilization beyond earth however.

Thanks For that, I might buy it and upgrade the processor, I'm sure I could stretch the budget to get a core I3 or I5 :) second hand

Pretty sure I have a quad core lying around the house somewhere just need to dig it out :)

Just asking my mate there is the monitor Hd

Might be best to create a thread in the pc building and upgrading section before pulling the plug. Also the quad core you have might be a different socket!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,299 ✭✭✭moc moc a moc

Definitely worth a hundred nicker for the components at least

• Registered Users Posts: 410 ✭✭DaraDali

Guys thanks for all the quick comments :) Ill ring my mate tomorrow and take it off his hands. Again thanks Moc and Booring for your comments.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

Definitely worth a hundred anyway, the card and power supply alone are worth that, so it's a good deal. 4 years was economical though, I had that E6600 processor in 2006 with my first self build. :)

I wouldn't bother with the Xeon, to get that to work you have to cut tabs on the motherboard and use an adaptor on the CPU itself. If you're only playing the likes of CIV something like an E8500 CPU is only about €20 second hand and would be a huge upgrade on whats in there now. It can also play some modern single players games like Alien Isolation just fine.

If you decide you want to play a range of more modern games a whole new motherboard, Ram + processor will be required.

Advertisement