Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

POTD

Options
  • 08-09-2015 9:36am
    Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭

Hiya,

Is it possible for the Post of the Day script to recognise when the POTD has been removed so another can be awarded?
    Post edited by Shield on

Comments

I can't for the life of me work out where the posts of the day are. I'm on touch and using search throws up threads about it but not it.

I've checked the a-z, entertainment, social & fun, boards and no luck.

Please help!

• Registered Users Posts: 83,094 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

Boards > What's New

On touch, the only item on the drop down menu is - ANNOUNCEMENTS.

On my PC, I can see there should be 4 topics under WHAT'S NEW but on touch they are not listed.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,184 ✭✭✭✭Pighead

Ah Jesus, I was fully sure the post of the day feature had been discontinued since 2010. I've had the same Post of the Day for years now and just presumed it wasn't been updated anymore. I'm guessing I need to do something with my cookies or update something? Here's what I've been getting.
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=67493257

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,898 ✭✭✭✭Ken.

Pighead wrote: »
    Ah Jesus, I was fully sure the post of the day feature had been discontinued since 2010. I've had the same Post of the Day for years now and just presumed it wasn't been updated anymore. I'm guessing I need to do something with my cookies or update something? Here's what I've been getting.
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=67493257

Post of the day doesn't update on the older themes. Dav has a post about it from a while back here on feedback.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,634 ✭✭✭✭28064212

Permanent link: http://www.boards.ie/potd

Boardsie Enhancement Suite - a browser extension to make using Boards on desktop a better experience (includes full-width display, keyboard shortcuts, dark mode, and more). Now available through your browser's extension store.

Firefox: https://addons.mozilla.org/addon/boardsie-enhancement-suite/

Chrome/Edge/Opera: https://chromewebstore.google.com/detail/boardsie-enhancement-suit/bbgnmnfagihoohjkofdnofcfmkpdmmce

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 25,305 CMod ✭✭✭✭Spear

ken wrote: »
    Post of the day doesn't update on the older themes. Dav has a post about it from a while back here on feedback.

It does for me on the old white skin at least. Though I'd imagine the old betas and the like would be understandably discontinued.

• Site Banned Posts: 1,735 ✭✭✭Second Toughest in_the Freshers

a couple things to add here,

Posts from After Hours are excluded from consideration for post of the day, as far as i know this was done when 'cool vids & pics & links' was a subforum, and 9 out of 10 POTD's were from the 'You laugh, you lose' thread, and any eejit could get a POTD if he threw up enough pictures...

Any reason not to re-include posts from AH, and exclude posts from 'Cool vids &c.'?

also, the Post of the Day is automatically thanked by user Boards.ie, which could be confusing for users if the post is somewhat 'controversial'. (see this thread)

Any reason that it has to be 'Boards.ie' that thanks the post? maybe 'POST OF THE DAY' would do as good a job.
    (and, echoing Dan Solo in the above thread, 'I understand this may be a leftover from some old coding short cut or something, but why do it this way...' why not make it easier for less knowledgeable users to find previous Posts of the Day, instead of clicking on one username out of 100 that has thanked a post, view profile> statistics> 'find all posts thanked by...' )

• Registered Users Posts: 33,702 ✭✭✭✭Penn

Posts from After Hours are excluded from consideration for post of the day, as far as i know this was done when 'cool vids & pics & links' was a subforum, and 9 out of 10 POTD's were from the 'You laugh, you lose' thread, and any eejit could get a POTD if he threw up enough pictures...

I queried why AH was left out of the POTD before, Dav said:
    Dav wrote:
    We don't give it to posts in AH - it doesn't need the popularity boost and it's there primarily to help drive traffic to other forums.

By that same logic, I think it'd be fair enough to apply the same rule to CVPL, as a post in YLYL usually gets POTD (usually either that or one of M.T. Cranium's weather posts)

Advertisement