Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cloning HDD to SSD

Options
  • 08-09-2015 9:36am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,994 ✭✭✭

Looking to move my OS from 5400rpm HDD to new SSD on my lenovo laptop.

I have the HDD down to 90GBs so space is no concern.

I've installed the SSD by removing the dvd drive.

The OS is Windows 7 OEM version.

I'm thinking of using Samsung's migration tool here: http://www.samsung.com/global/business/semiconductor/minisite/SSD/global/html/support/downloads.html

I've search far and wide but haven't found any concrete steps on how to clone HDD to SSD and to boot from said SSD without a re-install of windows and not replacing the HDD altogether (As i want to use it for storage).

Anybody tried this?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,015 ✭✭✭CreepingDeath

I have a laptop with dual hard drive bays.

From memory, I think I used this

Minitool Partition Wizard Free

Which has a "migrate OS from HDD to SSD" option.
    It has in V9.0 that I have installed, just in case they remove it in the current V9.1

• Registered Users Posts: 2,994 ✭✭✭Taylor365

Went at it last night.

Fairly smooth operation.

1. Use migrate tool.
    2. Shut down and unplug old HDD.
    3. Reboot with SSD.
    4. Shut down and plug in HDD.
    5. Reboot and change boot order in bios.
    6. Format old HDD.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 Chrunus

I once used AOMEI Backupper the free version to clone OS to SSD, and it worked smoothly. you can clone your hdd to ssd if your ssd is big enough. it support clone large disk to small one, as long as your ssd have enough space for the data on the hdd. If your ssd does not have that much space, you can slim your HDD by removing data to another storage device or use system clone to only migrate your operating system(OS) to the SSD instead.
    If what you have is a laptop that can only install but one hard drive, there is a workaround to clone hard drive to SSD with Backupper, which is tobackup your hard disk to an external USB drive and boot your laptop with a bootable media created by Backupper to restore the backup image of your hdd to SSD.

Advertisement