Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

primary school teaching via arts degree

Options
  • 08-09-2015 9:45am
    Registered Users Posts: 2

Currently I am a second year BA student and I am looking to become a primary school teacher when I have completed this degree. in first year I studied Irish, English and Human Development (psychology, sociology and philosophy) and have to narrow my choices for second year down to two of those three subjects. I achieved a C1 in honours Irish in my leaving cert in 2014 and was wondering if that is enough to allow me to apply for a postgrad in primary teaching when I finish my arts degree? I know Irish is an important component of teaching in Ireland but as it is not my strongest subject (in comparison with English and human development which I am very strong at) I'm worried that taking it as a subject for the rest of my degree could lower my overall degree grade and hinder my chances of getting into the postgrad programme in a few years time. Any advice about entry requirements etc would be greatly appreciated!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,205 ✭✭✭Shanee.

Yes you would most certainly be able to apply for the postgrad in primary teaching. AFAIK some if not most colleges recognise passing first year Irish as the equivalent of an honour in the leaving cert.

• Registered Users Posts: 674 ✭✭✭karkar athlete

Hi rachallmurray_,

I am assuming you are in Pats from the subject combination. I too attended Pats and completed the Arts degree and graduated last year (2014). I tired and failed to get back into Pats for the Masters and I am now studying with Hibernia.

There is an extremely high emphasis on Irish just to get into the course as places are based on an Irish oral/interview (40 marks) and english interview (100 marks) and its is the marks of your two interviews together make your score and the highest candidates get in.

I have known people who completed their degree in Irish in Pats and failed to get onto the Masters, so its not Irish alone as others who only did Irish for LC got onto the course.

Therefore the fact you did Irish for your first year you'll be fine. It's important to remember to study subjects that you enjoy as its the end result/degree that counts at the end of the day.

If you have any other questions, just shout!

Advertisement