Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hair disaster

Options
  • 08-09-2015 9:45am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 23,646 ✭✭✭✭

I need help!

Okay so my hair is naturally really dark brown. I haven't coloured it in over a year however I'm sure there was remains of colour on my ends. I'm pretty obsessed with this grey hair trend at the moment so I went into a salon that has a good reputation and who used olaphlex.

I had a consultation as because I am pretty dark I wanted to make sure that what I wanted was achievable, it being a pretty drastic change and all. He assured me it wouldn't be a problem. My hair was in great condition, he'd use the olaphlex and he'd put a toner in and all would be fabulous.

So, off I go and book an appointment. He started by a quick consultation, telling me he was gonna put a brown on my roots (instead of the charcoal grey we agreed on), I told him I wanted to go with the colours we discussed at the initial consultation and he told me that this would be even nicer. So, he started to apply the colour. There was no chat, no conversation. He was between me and 2 or 3 other clients. He popped the bleach on the ends and I sat there until it was time to wash it out.

At the sink he threw more colour into it (I assume this was the toner) and that wasn't left in very long at all. When he came over to cut and dry my hair I could tell by his face something was wrong. He called the junior over told her to mix up more colour and to apply it to the underneath part of my hair.

He washed it out again, trimmed it for me and although I had asked for a blowdry with a little bit of volume, he ended up telling the junior to "dry me off" (like I'd blowdry at home) and he came over then and just put Ghd curls in my hair.
    He sold me a blue shampoo that he said I need to use.

I came out of the hairdressers and my oh was horrified. He informed me my hair was green and to go straight back in there and tell him to fix it. It hadnt looked green to me inside and I got upset. He's a man, and I wasn't taking his colourblind word for it so I popped around the corner into where my cousin worked and before I could even ask for her opinion she was like "oh my god. What happened to you!" :( she told me I needed to go back into him, and that's what I did. I was super upset by now and when I went back in he told me "it's not that bad". And to come back in 2 weeks, they'll bleach it up again and get a different toner into it. He told me to use the blue shampoo and I'd be fine.

I have no experience with blonde hair, toners, blue shampoo. I don't know what to do. I spoke to two other hairdressers yesterday who told me not to attempt to use the blue shampoo or have it bleached again. My hair is like straw. He didn't even use the olaphlex! My hair is literally only coming back to itself after 3 years, because it was so badly damaged before. I'll be devastated if I need to cut it.

What am I going to do?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,052 ✭✭✭Taboola

What colour is your hair now? PM me a picture if you want.

To achieve the 'grey' look you'll need to use the blue (or purple) shampoo.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,646 ✭✭✭✭qo2cj1dsne8y4k

I'm just worried if I use the blue shampoo it's going to make the green much worse. It's like an ashy toner tossed in on top of copper/orange hair. I'll pm you on a pic.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 6,817 ✭✭✭jenizzle

When I had whiteish/gray hair, the only reason it turned green was because of yellowish conditioner. The blue shampoo should help remove the green from it. If you leave it in for 10-15mins it'll do a great deal. Hope you get it sorted, I loved having that hair colour but it was so hard to maintain and get right. I only ever managed to get the colour perfect when my roots grew.

Use loads of conditioner too (like Aussies 3 Minute Miracle - the one for heat damaged hair), or coconut oil, and try not brush your hair at all, especially when it's wet.

Yellow + blue = green.

That' the reason why her hair went green in the first place.

It needs to be dyed brown again.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,687 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

Forgive my ignorance but what is this "grey hair" trend?

• Advertisement

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQPTlwjPMGixDexJNFdS1ppVl_X20I3EFR7ieIlVYTvGmRS6joJtxnWIQ

qsobc1.jpg

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,687 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

And instead you've greeny tinted hair?

I'd be back in their and sat there till it was sorted.

I'm not letting him near my hair again :( I'm gonna go back dark and try again in a few months :(:(

He really made a mess of your hair. I mean it looks nothing like the picture there at all.

I'd be asking for a refund anyway.

• Advertisement

I'm not letting him near my hair again :( I'm gonna go back dark and try again in a few months :(:(

That's desperate :( Hope it works out

I'm actually more annoyed that he sent me out with green hair and when I went back in he said "it's not that bad".
    I wrote him a message on Facebook and told him how unhappy I was, and that him saying it wasn't that bad was not an appropriate response, and he replied that it probably wasn't the right thing to say but he had a long day.

It's going to cost me a fortune to get it fixed, I'm going to loose some of the length, I need treatments. I'm so angry

Like he wants me to go back in and let him bleach it again

Like he wants me to go back in and let him bleach it again

Well at least he has offered something.

Would you be happier if you got a refund or he dyed it back to what it was?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,687 ✭✭✭✭Penny Tration

Tbh, I wouldn't be happy to let him near my hair again either in Lexie's position.

He's admitted he didn't do what she asked for. So now, rather than a refund, he should be refunding the cost of getting his mess fixed.

With regards to your hair being like straw - doesn't it need a LOT of bleach to get from dark to that bluey grey colour? The straw like hair was probably inevitable tbh. Use lots of deep conditioning treatments, and do NOT brush your hair, for as long as you can get away with it.

If it's really damaged, you'll have to get it chopped unfortunately.

As for what to do about the colour - I really wouldn't try to get it grey. That could involve more peroxide and harsh chemicals, which won't bode well for already damaged hair. I wouldn't do anything at all to your hair til you've gone to another hairdresser and asked them for advice on what to do with it.

I had a consultation with a hairdresser I know really well, they're really high end (and very expensive) but I get a discount - the director was disgusted the state my hair was left in. He couldn't believe he wanted to bleach it even more. I'm going there for treatments now and then I'm going to let him colour it and cut it.
    The other guy isn't too inclined to give a refund, he wants to "fix his mess because it's the right thing to do" but the other hairdresser said never let him even look at my hair again, much less touch it. I'm going to be dead straight with him I think. That, I'm not comfortable with him doing it, I don't have any faith in his colouring ability, and I need my money to go have his damage repaired elsewhere

Just to add, my cousin is a fantastic hairdresser. My hair was destroyed from too many home dye jobs (when I say destroyed, I had bald patches and needed about eight inches chopped off and it was extremely thin).

She told me to do the following to help fix the damage:

No blow drying.
    No straightening.
    No curling.
    No heat of any kind, even going so far as to only wash it in warm, not hot, water.
    Deep conditioning treatment left in for 30 minutes, twice a week.
    Brush no more than twice a day.
    Don't pull it back or tie it up unless necessary.
    Take some herbal hair and nail growth pills from Holland and Barret.

I didn't follow the last bit (thought I have a full jar of those pills in my room!), and six months later, my hair was in much better nick, so much so that she could dye it and put highlights in without leaving my hair like straw.

I still don't blow dry, curl or use hot water on my hair, and i only straighten it about once per two months, and my hair is finally recovering and looking really nice

I had a consultation with a hairdresser I know really well, they're really high end (and very expensive) but I get a discount - the director was disgusted the state my hair was left in. He couldn't believe he wanted to bleach it even more. I'm going there for treatments now and then I'm going to let him colour it and cut it.
    The other guy isn't too inclined to give a refund, he wants to "fix his mess because it's the right thing to do" but the other hairdresser said never let him even look at my hair again, much less touch it. I'm going to be dead straight with him I think. That, I'm not comfortable with him doing it, I don't have any faith in his colouring ability, and I need my money to go have his damage repaired elsewhere

Keep EVERYTHING in writing, all through email, text and facebook. Tell him what the other hairdresser said, and get what the other hairdresser said in a text or email if possible.

If he still refuses to pay to fix the damage, go to the small claims court. It's €25 to apply, you don't need a solicitor. Y

The adult content filter on my phone is blocking them :pac:

Don't quote because I'm going to remove but my hair was lovely and now look

Maybe I'm being extremely thick here, but that doesn't look anywhere near as bad as I thought?

It's like it's been lightened, but doesn't look green?

Assuming the second pic you posted is the after pic?

• Advertisement

fco707.jpg

Ah that last one is different, looks like it's had a pile of bleach applied to it alright.

The state of it

Yeah, I can see the green in both of those pics. At least, little consolation that it is, it's a tinge rather than full on green.

Your hair looks pretty damaged, I'm not gonna lie. However, I think, though I'm no expert, that most of it (bar about an inch off the ends) can be saved if you're religious about avoiding heat and make sure to continually condition it

• Registered Users Posts: 21,039 ✭✭✭✭retro:electro

Wow. Looking at the photos im thinking you don't look that bad (I was thinking joker green) but it's NOTHING like the gray hair you had pictured earlier and wanted. He has admitted he didn't do what you asked him to do because he had a long hard day. Boo hoo cry me a river! Demand a refund asap! I would give him two options; the money back or him to pay for the cost of the repair your hair will need ASAP. Failing that then you should tell him you'll see him in the small claims court.

I'm going to have olaplex treatments twice a week for a while. No blowdrying will kill me though

I'm going to have olaplex treatments twice a week for a while. No blowdrying will kill me though

You could try blow drying on the cold air setting if you really struggle not to blow dry. Tbh, I find my hair looks better now when I don't blow dry it. But it took over 6 months to get to that stage.

I have baby fine hair that's really naturally curly, it runs amuck not blowdried

I have baby fine hair that's really naturally curly, it runs amuck not blowdried

You have my sympathies, I had the same, hence my now having it severely cropped.

Would it be worth getting something like that serum from John Frieda that acts as a mask on your hair and claims to keep it straight for three days?

• Advertisement

Well, if you can stay totally away from straightening it or using a curling wand, you should be okay to blow dry it. I wouldn't until you've done a deep condition of it first, but if you avoid other heat, you should be okay to blow dry it. It's the lesser of the three tbh

Advertisement